Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Was it before or after buying that bitchin’ automobile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

AirRaid posted:

Was it before or after buying that bitchin’ automobile?

....yes

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

GramCracker posted:

As the thread title suggests, I did something stupid.

What the everliving gently caress

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GramCracker posted:

dios mio

It's so clean

I need to hear what it sounds like.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GramCracker posted:

:eyepop:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Put something on that turbo inlet. It could ingest a small child for christsakes.

Rad car, every American gran turismo players forbidden fruit.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

sweet christmas

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
From my research, how the car currently sits is almost exactly how it arrived from Japan when first imported in late 2019. There's a ton of HKS stuff on the car - from the exhaust manifold, to the coilovers, to a 6 speed sequential box, etc. so someone in its previous life clearly set the car up right. When translated, the auction sheet suggests the possibility of the car having a "2.7 specification, internal remodeling?", and given how the car was/is setup, and caliber of parts found on the car, I'm leaning towards it being true...like, it just kinda makes sense when you add all the parts on the car together and how clean it is. That said, the only real way I can figure that out is by popping off the oil pan or just completely opening the motor.

This fall, before I happened across the car, the previous owner had performed a literal no expense spared maintenance. Some recent work includes, but is not limited to, a new GTX3582R turbo, installation of a triple fuel pump setup, a Haltech Elite 2500 ECU, upgraded wiring harnesses, twin disc clutch, custom one-piece drive shaft, and installation of a fully rebuilt donor OEM 5 speed by PPG in Australia. The amount of work performed is stupid, and I mean that in the best way possible.

For me, it's almost exactly what I'd have done to a GTR should I have got one stock...but instead I get to skip a ton of the time/money build part and get almost straight to enjoying the car. The car is at about 85-90% of what I want, which will give me some fun tinkering to do over the next few years really dialing it in for "me".

It arrived at the office this week while I was recovering from covid (not fun, I don't recommend it) so I have maybe 15ish miles of seat time in it so far, and yeah, even on just wastegate spring boost (maybe 10psi?), she rips up top. Open dump pipes are loud.

Honestly, the whole thing feels like a dream. Its surreal. Make no mistake - this is wildly dumb. I can't wait to share more with AI as time goes on :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Time to close this thread, we have a winner.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
that thing is clean and mean

is it weird that the choice detail for me is that nardi wheel?

iirc you're the guy who curates a car collection. is this for work, or yours personally?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sequential? Someone really wanted to hoof that beautiful bitch down some highways.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I’m still regretting not buying an R32 GT-R when the prices bottomed out on em more than 10 years ago. Now it would probably cost me most of a deposit on a house, own property or an R32 GT-R….

Saying that prices on anything like that in japan seems to have gone mental now. Looking at goo.net, completely thrashed and clearly rusty AE86’s selling for like 20 grand just feels wrong.

Even mr2 turbos with stuff I clearly know is wrong, missing trim pieces obvious signs of accident damage etc seem to be going for stupid money. Probably like double what I’m going to maybe end up selling mine for.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 1, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

track day bro! posted:

I’m still regretting not buying an R32 GT-R when the prices bottomed out on em more than 10 years ago. Now it would probably cost me most of a deposit on a house, own property or an R32 GT-R….

I met a guy that somehow made all of the right moves. It started when I was at a relative's place and spotted this out the window:

E61 S85 V10 M5 Touring. I was told the guy has about 5 BMWs out back and loves talking about them so when we spotted him we got talking, he'd got this one for £10k, but he took us round the back and showed us his E30 M3 which he'd got for ... £12k in near perfect condition with a trunk full of original spares. I can't remember when, maybe 15 years ago.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Raluek posted:

that thing is clean and mean

is it weird that the choice detail for me is that nardi wheel?

iirc you're the guy who curates a car collection. is this for work, or yours personally?

Thank you! She’s got some flaws but the base car (ie body and paint) should allow for some great results with a bit of time and elbow grease in the form of a Rupes Big Foot.

Yup, that’s me. The company ended up buying this from a broker we do a lot of work with, and then immediately offered it to me. If I didn’t take the car we were going to send it to Mecum or something of the sort. He had minimal info on it so I did a bunch of homework on the car to help make an informed decision. Boss man is going to keep the HSK sequential and toss that in his Garage Saurus built 1000hp R33 400R tribute car, so that’s at least going to a home where it will be used properly this spring :getin:

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 1, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

GramCracker posted:

Yo!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

That RS3 was sick af but my dude, you have outdone yourself.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Love it except for the cage

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

GramCracker posted:

Holy guacamole, the potential is limited only by you

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

GramCracker posted:

From my research, how the car currently sits is almost exactly how it arrived from Japan when first imported in late 2019. There's a ton of HKS stuff on the car - from the exhaust manifold, to the coilovers, to a 6 speed sequential box, etc. so someone in its previous life clearly set the car up right. When translated, the auction sheet suggests the possibility of the car having a "2.7 specification, internal remodeling?", and given how the car was/is setup, and caliber of parts found on the car, I'm leaning towards it being true...like, it just kinda makes sense when you add all the parts on the car together and how clean it is. That said, the only real way I can figure that out is by popping off the oil pan or just completely opening the motor.

This fall, before I happened across the car, the previous owner had performed a literal no expense spared maintenance. Some recent work includes, but is not limited to, a new GTX3582R turbo, installation of a triple fuel pump setup, a Haltech Elite 2500 ECU, upgraded wiring harnesses, twin disc clutch, custom one-piece drive shaft, and installation of a fully rebuilt donor OEM 5 speed by PPG in Australia. The amount of work performed is stupid, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I read this in my head in the voice of the Volkswagen kid in the fast and the furious and uttered a ‘no fair’ at the end. Goddamn this car is so cool just make a thread and post pictures so I can live my GT4 childhood out.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I appear to keep doing stupid things.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Charles Leclerc posted:

That RS3 was sick af but my dude, you have outdone yourself.

RS3 is still here, how else would I get to work?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

RS3 is still here, how else would I get to work?

I am genuinely sorry I underestimated how stupid you had been. Bravo, sir.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Charles Leclerc posted:

Properly stupid, all the way down.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Charles Leclerc posted:

How dare you. It should have been obvious I was doing my best to top your stupidity

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My mustang related stupidity is ready for spring.

I can't wait till they are on the car.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

toplitzin posted:

My mustang related stupidity is ready for spring.

I can't wait till they are on the car.

You can use a q-tip with IPA to clean up the tire lettering, which I love very much. Those are gonna look sick.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Night Danger Moose posted:

You can use a q-tip with IPA to clean up the tire lettering, which I love very much. Those are gonna look sick.

I'm guessing a few too many IPAs led to their appearance.

(They still look cool)

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Strife posted:

Last September I finally bought a Challenger after having a Hyundai sedan for eight years.

You ever get nostalgic for a beloved car you sold because you had no place to put it, so you try and find out what it's been up to?

Yeah maybe don't do that. :(

Clearly whatever dipshit bought it lost control and drove directly into a pole of some kind. All that within 8,000 miles.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Definitely up there in terms of white Challenger wrecks.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Digital_Jesus posted:

I appear to keep doing stupid things.

That color is fantastic.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Strife posted:

You ever get nostalgic for a beloved car you sold because you had no place to put it, so you try and find out what it's been up to?

I googled the email name of the buy for my Mazdaspeed 3 back in the day and discovered the horrible mods he did to that thing on the Mazdaspeed forums. I felt bad for selling it to him.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I sold my turbo Miata track car to another dude in my local region. He ended up putting it into the side of a BMW M235iR (the factory race car thing) during his first race with it, uploaded the video to Reddit, asked what percent fault of it was his, and handled the situation poorly enough to irritate both local track orgs. He also caused some drama in the org I run with for aggressive driving, late to grid, etc.

I'll never sell another race car in region again :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rolo posted:

Definitely up there in terms of white Challenger wrecks.

Strife posted:

I follow my old cars to their graves. I keep all the vins and search them out from time to time.

My first truck and Subaru were never registered again. The king ranch was last seen for sale in washington state. I've seen the BMW for sale locally ~4 times, getting worse every time.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My Miata I sold to a kid with 150k, Carfax said he totaled it the next year. BUT! It was resold, rebuilt, and is back on the road with 190k. Actually found it here: https://www.mx5world.com/registry/1997-Mazda-Miata-JM1NA3538V0728809.53186/ at least it's tastefully done.

The Mazdaspeed3, sold with 50k to a dad, same owner still has it, he does like 20k+ a year and it's also pushing 200k now. Makes me feel good that it didn't get ruined by the Monster decal crowd, but also that's its still on the road with that many miles.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Never follow ex partners or your old cars. Best case scenario they're doing just fine, worst case you're three whiskies deep and making poor decisions...

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I have no idea how I'd safely find an old car if it ends up in salvage or at auction, the only vin lookup site that seemed to have anything auto-translated from Russian when I visited it lol

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The guy I sold my turbo Miata to blew up at least 2 transmissions then put an LS in it. Did some questionable looking body mods and removed the pop up head lights because he stripped it and turned it into a track car. Ehhhh

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

The guy I sold my turbo Miata to blew up at least 2 transmissions then put an LS in it. Did some questionable looking body mods and removed the pop up head lights because he stripped it and turned it into a track car. Ehhhh

I was never a fan of my pop-ups, but removing them is heresy.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

an na miata with an ls and no pop-ups... good lord...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I dunno, trying to make track suitable power long term with a NA+T B6 or BP can be more cost intensive than a truck LS+T56+8.8 IRS. Its easy torquey power and a built BP+EFRturbo+6 speed is expensive.