Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How much of the steam deck is off-the-shelf components anyways? I know I've seen people talking about buying a 64gb model and just swapping in a larger hard drive, but are there similar options for, say, upgrading the ram or the cooler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Randalor posted:

How much of the steam deck is off-the-shelf components anyways? I know I've seen people talking about buying a 64gb model and just swapping in a larger hard drive, but are there similar options for, say, upgrading the ram or the cooler?

The fan is replacable, and you can buy replacements on iFixit but the whole cooling setup is designed to run air around all the hot components and not just the APU. The teardown Gamers Nexus did is good at showing this. I think it's a standard handheld PC fan, but I'm not sure if there's a custom connector needed to make it fit. The RAM I think is on the mainboard along with the APU so you couldn't upgrade that without a whole upgraded board, but the SSD is just a standard 2230 length part, hence why it's upgradeable.

E: The RAM is indeed soldered to the mainboard, as seen in the iFixit teardown video.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 30, 2022

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

so suppose Valve actually was nuts and released a new model next year with a better battery and a better/OLED screen. Who here would buy it immediately?

I would :negative:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I wouldn't. I would take it as a reason to upgrade my SSD instead, and if I should happen to gently caress it up then oh dear I guess it's time to buy a new one.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I don't see a reason why I would want to upgrade from a perfectly good piece of hardware. It's not like they're going to get a 1440p with 144hz screen that can run AAA games flawlessly. That's a gaming PC and those can't be miniaturizated (yet)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Didn’t this AMD processor turn out to be the gamechanger for them? It, like, crushes everything on the market and became available at a very opportune time for them. If something else like that comes out the new Deck would be an easy buy.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
There’s always gonna be old games to play

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I wouldn’t, and I’d probably not dip back in in the future if they decided that an annual refresh was a sensible cadence.

The sooner they muddy the question of “does it play nicely on steam deck?” with having to add a bunch of qualifiers about what model/variant of steam deck you might be trying to play it on the sooner they pretty much kill one of the key things that makes it special in the PC space.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

Didn’t this AMD processor turn out to be the gamechanger for them? It, like, crushes everything on the market and became available at a very opportune time for them. If something else like that comes out the new Deck would be an easy buy.
As far as I know, Valve commissioned this custom APU from AMD. It’s essentially a last (current at the time) gen CPU paired with next (current now) gen integrated graphics.

Even the newest APUs have trouble beating it without using double the wattage. It’s really efficient at 10-15w. Who knows how expensive it is to commission an APU from AMD, but in theory valve could do it again, probably easier this time because they have demonstrated solid sales.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

There’s always gonna be old games to play

I keep buying games to play to store when newer games cant work.. yheah that's it that's what I'm doing

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dramicus posted:

As far as I know, Valve commissioned this custom APU from AMD. It’s essentially a last (current at the time) gen CPU paired with next (current now) gen integrated graphics.

Even the newest APUs have trouble beating it without using double the wattage. It’s really efficient at 10-15w. Who knows how expensive it is to commission an APU from AMD, but in theory valve could do it again, probably easier this time because they have demonstrated solid sales.

This is right yeah, the Vangoch APU is a custom job for the Deck, the strongest APU on the market right now is the 6800U and that only starts to get more performance when you're putting over 20W into it. At 15W the Deck APU is equal or better. This is why I think the next version is going to be Zen 3+RDNA3, since they don't need the strongest CPU so can save money getting some last gen CPU cores but will still get the latest GPU architecture. The only question is how big a performance boost will that bring, since in that Verge interview they said they don't want to upgrade the APU until there's a significant power boost to be had. Personally I'd look at the big FPS breakpoints, if a game that runs at 40fps on the Deck can get to 60 with a stronger chip, that's a decent upgrade. I recommend watching The Phawx's video on the Deck vs the Ayaneo 2 using the 6800U to see the difference in power there, even when the 6800U is faster than the Deck at 15W it's still not quite making it to the next major FPS marker. Like it doesn't get Cyberpunk with the settings he's using up to 40fps, you're gonna be running at 30 on both systems except with the Aya you'll be running below the screen resolution and having to upscale while the Deck will run those settings at native res.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

A hole dug in tater salad's back yard, at the bottom of a ten foot ladder just shelves of labelless cans with ROGUELIKE written on them in Sharpie

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cowman posted:

so suppose Valve actually was nuts and released a new model next year with a better battery and a better/OLED screen. Who here would buy it immediately?

I'd only buy a whole new Deck if there was a major leap in performance/efficiency with a new APU.

Unless they made the ergonomics more comfortable, I'm not the biggest fan of the shoulder buttons to be honest.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I can't wait for a TV show about digital hoarding and they just audit goon steam accounts.

If any producers are reading this, you owe me 10%.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cowman posted:

Nah. Deck's on the same upgrade schedule as PCs in my mind. Once there are games I want to play on it that I can't run acceptably, I'll start thinking about getting the new version. I'm guessing four years at least, unless there's some insane battery breakthrough and the new model gets 12 hours instead of two. That might tempt me.

May last longer too, those super high resource intensive games tend to be first person ones and I don't play those on the deck anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wouldn't get a new one unless it was drastically more powerful. The screen is fine to me and the battery is acceptable for what I do, and it spends most of its time docked anyway.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

A hole dug in tater salad's back yard, at the bottom of a ten foot ladder just shelves of labelless cans with ROGUELIKE written on them in Sharpie

cans filled with Silica Gel and SD cards.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

History Comes Inside! posted:

I wouldn’t, and I’d probably not dip back in in the future if they decided that an annual refresh was a sensible cadence.

The sooner they muddy the question of “does it play nicely on steam deck?” with having to add a bunch of qualifiers about what model/variant of steam deck you might be trying to play it on the sooner they pretty much kill one of the key things that makes it special in the PC space.

(also, realistically, the vast majority of games that come out from indie and even AA developers in the next....call it 5 years, at minimum, probably longer, are going to be just fine on the current steam deck hardware)

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 30, 2022

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
If we're talking about a new steam deck possibility I think it's worth paying attention to the cycle of the last major valve product line, their VR headsets. They did release a second and third one with improved specs eventually, but they were marketed as premium devices compared to the base model and charged more money. I wouldn't be surprised if a steam deck 2 came out priced to compete the higher end devices that already exist in this space. So if you just spent $700 (Full disclosure, I did yesterday after thinking this over) I wouldn't feel too bad unless you would have also been okay paying 1100 or $1,200 for an upgraded version.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
How do y’all deal with choice paralysis? I have so many games available to me I literally don’t know where to start and I inevitably fire up a game, play for an hour mess with settings just to close it and move on and binge YouTube or Netflix instead. Or I’ll put 5-10 hours into a game eventually just quit playing and eventually restart it a few months later.

I’ve played with backlog managers and excel spreadsheets so I can sort my backlog by how long to beat and ratings and interest level to try and knock out some smaller games but even that feels like it’s just dancing around the problem.

I think I need to just commit to two games. A longer more open ended game like an RPG I can knock a chunk out of as I have time and a smaller game like a Pentiment or Outer Wilds that I can beat in 10-15 hours as I can. I dunno. Y’all have any tips?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

How do y’all deal with choice paralysis? I have so many games available to me I literally don’t know where to start and I inevitably fire up a game, play for an hour mess with settings just to close it and move on and binge YouTube or Netflix instead. Or I’ll put 5-10 hours into a game eventually just quit playing and eventually restart it a few months later.

I’ve played with backlog managers and excel spreadsheets so I can sort my backlog by how long to beat and ratings and interest level to try and knock out some smaller games but even that feels like it’s just dancing around the problem.

I think I need to just commit to two games. A longer more open ended game like an RPG I can knock a chunk out of as I have time and a smaller game like a Pentiment or Outer Wilds that I can beat in 10-15 hours as I can. I dunno. Y’all have any tips?

Limit what you have available. I have usually 2 games I'm actively playing in different genres (right now Tales of Berseria and Horizon Zero Dawn) installed along with a handful of other stuff I might want to just jump into for 20 minutes (N++, Dirt 3, Sonic Mania) and games that are legally mandated to be installed (Vampire Survivors). Also make peace with there being games you're not going to finish, if you fall off a game after 5 hours and never come back to it maybe that game just didn't grab you.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the ‘soon’ part of this entire hypothetical was cooked up entirely in the brain of the goon who read the same “we’d like it if the battery was better, maybe we’ll address that some day” article that the rest of us did and decided it meant Steam Deck 2 was coming any day now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How do y’all deal with choice paralysis?

I get really really loving high, pick something, and zone out for a while. Once I start a game I tend to finish it, but that's my personal OCD. However, with so much at my fingertips I'm learn to love smaller titles because they don't require a huge time investment.

I'm starting to hate open world games.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

tbh when i find myself unable to focus on a game it's usually because i'm burned out on gaming and need to take a break

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I mix up the genres and avoid playing similar games back to back. Also play 2-3 short (10h) games for every massive (30+h) game.

I also limit what is installed and consciously only have 1-2 games on the go at a time.

Getting into a new game is the hardest part, I tend to try and have at least and hour or two for the first play to give it a good shot as the first hour of many games can be dull-ish intro stuff.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I mean for me it's 100% just letting my fixations lead the way, I've got everything broadly categorized by genre and just drift into whatever one I'm in the mood for and either it clicks and I get super into it or it doesn't and I put it down and don't bother with it again until later

I think it took 3 half-hearted attempts to get into XCOM EU before I was properly in the mood for it and then I mainlined that and XCOM2 for like, a month and a half

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

zimbomonkey posted:

If we're talking about a new steam deck possibility I think it's worth paying attention to the cycle of the last major valve product line, their VR headsets. They did release a second and third one with improved specs eventually, but they were marketed as premium devices compared to the base model and charged more money. I wouldn't be surprised if a steam deck 2 came out priced to compete the higher end devices that already exist in this space. So if you just spent $700 (Full disclosure, I did yesterday after thinking this over) I wouldn't feel too bad unless you would have also been okay paying 1100 or $1,200 for an upgraded version.
Valve only has the one HMD, you might be conflating things with the Vive which HTC happily iterates on because its their only successful product at the moment but Valve only had a hand in the initial R&D and not anything after it went into production. Its extremely a Steam Machines type situation where there's a certain baseline but they don't have any control over what third parties were doing and it was wild west as gently caress.

I'm sure they have Steam Machines on their mind right now because with those things, like on top of SteamOS kind of sucking and the questionable premise of hanging the whole thing on native Linux ports and not Proton, the specs were just all over the place and it was impossible to ask "will this run on a Steam Machine?" As soon as you introduce a second spec you run the risk of loving the whole thing up and not being able to conclusively ask that question about Steam Decks either.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It can't last forever but 100% the absolute best thing about Steam Decks right now is wondering if a game will run on the Deck, even if its some weird PS3 game you want to emulate, typing the name of that game + "steam deck" into youtube, and immediately having your question answered and knowing whatever you see is exactly how its gonna run on your hardware.

ottergauze
Dec 11, 2022

Cowman posted:

Pretty sure they've gone on record and said that they haven't seen any significant enough improvements to justify thinking about a Steam Deck 2 yet.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

ottergauze posted:

Pretty sure they've gone on record and said that they haven't seen any significant enough improvements to justify thinking about a Steam Deck 2 yet.

Yeah that's what I heard too. No new deck in the forseeable future.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
sharing from discord: I made a little travel kit for my Deck.

The official 8bitdo case fits a 10ft hdmi and a dongle dock really nicely.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I finally got Midnight Suns working without crashes on the Deck and it's basically a perfect game for it. Wish they'd hurry up with an official patch though

The deciding factor seems to have been Cryobyte33's memory management scripts.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Necrothatcher posted:

I finally got Midnight Suns working without crashes on the Deck and it's basically a perfect game for it. Wish they'd hurry up with an official patch though

The deciding factor seems to have been Cryobyte33's memory management scripts.

Please tell me what you did.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sounds like they used Cryobite33’s memory management scripts

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If anyone else is emulating the PS1 Armored Cores on duckstation, if you get texture static or invisible ACs (especially in Project Phantasma), switch to the OpenGL renderer. Works perfectly.

Also, the arena in PP rapidly hits some real horseshit fights that require you to exploit the hell out of the AI, God drat

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Siralim Ultimate is pretty dope on this.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sounds like you might try taking a break. I try to only buy a few games that I'm excited to play immediately instead of having a huge backlog. That said I still buy stuff if it's super cheap and have a few that are on the list. But my goal is to not really have a huge list and make it feel like an obligation/job rather than something I do for fun or to relax. I still redeem all the freebies and play some of them if they look interesting.

Helps me to have a couple games to play concurrently. One that I can zone out and not have to pay attention to story or can play muted (vampire survivors, Diablo, chronicon, roguelikes or rocket league) and then something with more narrative/sorry I can focus on. The deck is great for most situations, you just need games that fit them too. Couch gaming while wife is watching TV, or have like 15 minutes to play? Zone out game. A spare hour alone and I'll play something I can focus on. Also try to play some shorter stuff if I just played something huge.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sounds like they used Cryobite33’s memory management scripts

Yeah, those scripts (on DirectX 11) seem to have fixed Midnight Suns. I'm also using the latest GE Proton but I don't know how much difference it makes.

E: followed this guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od9_a1QQQns

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 1, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone have any clue how I might be able to go about getting this working? I have the Apogee Throwback Pack, or whatever it's called that includes the original.

https://twitter.com/CatacombGL/status/1608933410457944064?t=kNmkUbsC1bYFxjBO_yjVcQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
Anyone have any case or cover recommendations to help with heat around the hand grip areas? I like to play while exercising but the combination of device heat + activity can make it pretty uncomfortable. But even when playing in bed it feels a little too noticeable.