Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Bremen posted:

The biggest reason I'm skeptical isn't because I don't think Russia would be so incompetent to shoot down their own jet 800km from the Ukrainian border, but because I can't see them admitting to it.

I mean, they fired a BUK at a civilian airliner with it's transponder on soooo (it was a Russian supplied weapon operated by Russian protagonists, regardless of who's hands it was in)

"it was cloudy" lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

I mean, they fired a BUK at a civilian airliner with it's transponder on soooo (it was a Russian supplied weapon operated by Russian protagonists, regardless of who's hands it was in)

"it was cloudy" lmao

And they were openly bragging about it until it turned out they shot down an airliner.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Just watched Zelensky's new year address, amazingly good. Also watched Tikhanovskaya's address, not bad.

And the important thing: all you tank theorists, how A2A1 will ruin bridges and who knows what. Ukraine is currently at cutting edge of war. And if they ask for tanks, you don't ask whether they deserve tanks or if said tanks will break bridges. They've already shown that they dont ruin donated equipment, they use it to maximum. It is already proven how good they are at war. They say they need tanks means they indeed need exactly tanks.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

It is mindblowing to me that some goons who never been into any kind of war, while seeing how Ukraine weaponized even commercial drones say "nah, they'll just gently caress up abramses :downsbravo:" They know war to the extent that you never will

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Sekenr posted:

It is mindblowing to me that some goons who never been into any kind of war, while seeing how Ukraine weaponized even commercial drones say "nah, they'll just gently caress up abramses :downsbravo:" They know war to the extent that you never will

isis weaponized commercial drones, it isnt rocket science dude lol

abrams, im sure ukraine can figure it out. especially if they can send back to western european depots for the most extensive maintenance. nonetheless, it is undoubtedly another stream of parts, ammo and training to manage.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

abrams, im sure ukraine can figure it out. especially if they can send back to western european depots for the most extensive maintenance. nonetheless, it is undoubtedly another stream of parts, ammo and training to manage.

The US has no reason to stockpile the export version of the Abrams, and is probably loathe to send ones with the secret sauce depleted uranium armor.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Reminder that real leftists have international solidarity

https://mobile.twitter.com/jamforyou_/status/1609334719660843010

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Somaen posted:

Reminder that real leftists have international solidarity

What about all the "real leftists" who hate anarchism because it means they don't get to be Beria?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

Amazing way to say you are German without saying outright.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Because no country in central europe will repair these tanks dude lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Because no country in central europe will repair these tanks dude lol

Poland is getting Abrams repair facilities, or maybe already has some, I don’t remember.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

I think an important consideration is that the facilities and training being set up (and probably to some early extent, now in place) are for the modern M1A2 (SEP v2/3) that Poland has purchased and leased (v2s for training). The talk around Abrams for Ukraine has been about older M1 models. I don't doubt there is a lot of overlap in parts and skills needed, but I am also very sure that the differences are significant enough that any decision to provide M1s to Ukraine would require an entirely separate maintenance and training infrastructure to be put in place in Poland - which might clash with the efforts relating to the modern Abrams for Poland's own military.

In general I have the impression (based on the process and timeframes when Danish Leopards are upgraded/refitted) that European heavy armored logistics are struggling with being under-staffed and under-funded. Providing tanks to Ukraine may thus be not just a political and security decision, but also involve (embarrassing) practical problems, where many European NATO countries (and the arms industry in Europe) simply don't have the bandwidth to provide tanks with the requisite support, spare parts and munitions to make them combat-worthy.

For all the talk of increased military spending, European countries are still working with multi-year delivery schedules and peace-time economies. Individual arms manufacturers may be hiring and adding production lines, but that's also a very slow process. I simply don't see Europe changing the current modus operandi of support for Ukraine. The US alone has the kind of military-industrial muscle to provide Ukraine with just a fraction of what they're asking for. And even then, I think Abrams are not going to happen. F-16s could happen, I think, if the war drags on.

If the war drags on for years and years, anything could happen, but whether due to not expecting a multi-year war or to avoid escalation, western allies don't seem to operating with multi-year time frames in mind when providing aid.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

PederP posted:

I think an important consideration is that the facilities and training being set up (and probably to some early extent, now in place) are for the modern M1A2 (SEP v2/3) that Poland has purchased and leased (v2s for training). The talk around Abrams for Ukraine has been about older M1 models. I don't doubt there is a lot of overlap in parts and skills needed, but I am also very sure that the differences are significant enough that any decision to provide M1s to Ukraine would require an entirely separate maintenance and training infrastructure to be put in place in Poland - which might clash with the efforts relating to the modern Abrams for Poland's own military.

In general I have the impression (based on the process and timeframes when Danish Leopards are upgraded/refitted) that European heavy armored logistics are struggling with being under-staffed and under-funded. Providing tanks to Ukraine may thus be not just a political and security decision, but also involve (embarrassing) practical problems, where many European NATO countries (and the arms industry in Europe) simply don't have the bandwidth to provide tanks with the requisite support, spare parts and munitions to make them combat-worthy.

For all the talk of increased military spending, European countries are still working with multi-year delivery schedules and peace-time economies. Individual arms manufacturers may be hiring and adding production lines, but that's also a very slow process. I simply don't see Europe changing the current modus operandi of support for Ukraine. The US alone has the kind of military-industrial muscle to provide Ukraine with just a fraction of what they're asking for. And even then, I think Abrams are not going to happen. F-16s could happen, I think, if the war drags on.

If the war drags on for years and years, anything could happen, but whether due to not expecting a multi-year war or to avoid escalation, western allies don't seem to operating with multi-year time frames in mind when providing aid.

To add to this, there is nothing stopping European countries from passing their own versions of lend lease so they could help Ukraine and pass money to their defense industries. Nothing except of course that those industries barely exist.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Pook Good Mook posted:

To add to this, there is nothing stopping European countries from passing their own versions of lend lease so they could help Ukraine and pass money to their defense industries. Nothing except of course that those industries barely exist.

If the EU were counted as a single country it would be the world's second largest arms exporter, ahead of both Russia and China. Saying that Europe's defense industry barely exists is not accurate.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I'm so used to seeing "America Bad" posting on SA that this outburst of exceptionalism regarding how Europe lacks arms manufacturing capacity is positively quaint.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Rust Martialis posted:

I'm so used to seeing "America Bad" posting on SA that this outburst of exceptionalism regarding how Europe lacks arms manufacturing capacity is positively quaint.

Hey the MIC is doing something good for once, broken clocks and all that

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Perun did a good vid a couple of days ago covering everything that's happening with regards to ammo supply: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deK98IeTjfY :discourse:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

saratoga posted:

If the EU were counted as a single country it would be the world's second largest arms exporter, ahead of both Russia and China. Saying that Europe's defense industry barely exists is not accurate.

Well then wtf is the excuse for why the EU collectively has done so little with regards to arms and ammunition?

Sum total, Europe has given less than half what the US has.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

Well then wtf is the excuse for why the EU collectively has done so little with regards to arms and ammunition?

Sum total, Europe has given less than half what the US has.

Europe has mass manufacturing going on, but not mass storage, would be one reason - US shipped plenty of stuff from the current equipment of their army, with large chunk of dollars earmarked for Ukraine actually being spent to refill the Javelin warehouse of Wyoming National Guard, etcetera. Another would be lack of political will, since Germany (and Switzerland to a lesser extent) are able to delay or outright block weapons shipments using their technology.

If Ukraine’s supplies requirement was “yo, Europe, US just gave me 500 billion to buy tanks from you, and it’s ok to deliver things starting 2029”, the collective “EU MIC” could load it up the eyebrows.

Lastly, US is the largest owner of military equipment and supplies compatible with Soviet gear, of the countries supporting it. Or was anyway, since they’ve probably cleared most, if not all of it, for good.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Lastly, US is the largest owner of military equipment and supplies compatible with Soviet gear, of the countries supporting it. Or was anyway, since they’ve probably cleared most, if not all of it, for good.

This part I'm curious about. I figured all of the soviet gear the US was handing over was actually being given by former soviet allies and backfilled with NATO gear. Does the US just have warehouses of T72s in the desert?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HolHorsejob posted:

This part I'm curious about. I figured all of the soviet gear the US was handing over was actually being given by former soviet allies and backfilled with NATO gear. Does the US just have warehouses of T72s in the desert?

Armoured vehicles you are right about, they came through European warehouses of Poland and so on. When I said that, I was thinking more of artillery shells, weird plane parts, those Mi-17 helicopters they had, and so on. It wouldn’t surprise me to be told now that it actually has a brigade worth of T-72s conserved in Arizona, but Poland should be the main supplier on that specific line item.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08
https://twitter.com/ItsArtoir/status/1609659577418805249

Don't see any NWS stuff but be careful clicking through.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

saratoga posted:

Nothing graphic there either, just a couple translated statements from z-bloggers. The linking tweet, however, probably shouldn't be taken at face value without corroborating information from other sources.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Poland is getting Abrams repair facilities, or maybe already has some, I don’t remember.

Of course they do, I was viciously sniping at that rear end in a top hat whom you should ban

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sekenr posted:

Of course they do, I was viciously sniping at that rear end in a top hat whom you should ban

FYI "Ok, I guess." is a lovely reason for a 12 hour probation. You have a decent reason, then fine then present it but just not being able to deal with some push back isn't worth tossing off a probe.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RoyKeen posted:

FYI "Ok, I guess." is a lovely reason for a 12 hour probation. You have a decent reason, then fine then present it but just not being able to deal with some push back isn't worth tossing off a probe.

If only there was a way to tell what this probation was for, such as reading Sekenr's post that contains an insult against another poster, an admission of bad faith posting, and a touch of backseat modding. And literally nothing else.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

RoyKeen posted:

Don’t bother, CZS is the official “dictator” of the thread per Koos Group and at least one admin (Athanatos, I think) and can do whatever the gently caress he wants. Asking for accountability is a fool’s errand, if you post here know you’re at the mercy of a power-tripping dweeb who insisted they never wanted to be a mod in the first place. I had asked about another similarly-vague probe and not only did CZS refuse to elaborate they were a prick about it to boot. Then he lied about the nature of the PM conversation in QCS. Tread carefully.

And based on previous behavior, I’m looking forward to a “pithy” reply to me after I’ve been proved, because CZS is a coward

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Judgy Fucker posted:

Don’t bother, CZS is the official “dictator” of the thread per Koos Group and at least one admin (Athanatos, I think) and can do whatever the gently caress he wants. Asking for accountability is a fool’s errand, if you post here know you’re at the mercy of a power-tripping dweeb who insisted they never wanted to be a mod in the first place. I had asked about another similarly-vague probe and not only did CZS refuse to elaborate they were a prick about it to boot. Then he lied about the nature of the PM conversation in QCS. Tread carefully.

And based on previous behavior, I’m looking forward to a “pithy” reply to me after I’ve been proved, because CZS is a coward

Post / username combo

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

HolHorsejob posted:

I mean... maybe? the US has a LOT of poo poo stored, a LOT OF poo poo

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't understand how people sit here and speculate as to what kind of equipment Ukraine should receive, when Ukraine has an actual equipment request list, and it's publicly available.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Nitrox posted:

I don't understand how people sit here and speculate as to what kind of equipment Ukraine should receive, when Ukraine has an actual equipment request list, and it's publicly available.

just because ukraine has requested stuff doesn't mean they're going to receive it, and we've seen some surprises (e.g. HARMs).

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Any news on how Ukraine's air defenses have been doing? I feel like I haven't seen as many accounts of city-wide blackouts and critical infrastructure damage and the like. I'm not sure if it's because of fewer missile raids, more effective defense, or if things are still bad but are "routine" so people aren't writing stories about it anymore.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

EggsAisle posted:

Any news on how Ukraine's air defenses have been doing? I feel like I haven't seen as many accounts of city-wide blackouts and critical infrastructure damage and the like. I'm not sure if it's because of fewer missile raids, more effective defense, or if things are still bad but are "routine" so people aren't writing stories about it anymore.

They are still getting overwhelmed, with the spillover usually looking like 10-20 cruise missiles finding their targets each wave, and that _probably_ can be mentally mapped to 10-20 power stations being taken out of operation for X days. Hence, they've been given Patriots, in addition to NASAMS, Crotales, and more things are being discussed.

As far as blackouts and energy security are concerned, that has remained a topic on the daily agenda for Ukraine for weeks now, so some people may be getting desensitized to it. For instance, the chairman of the state energy company was interviewed yesterday about a possibility of a nationwide energy blackout. https://www.epravda.com.ua/news/2023/01/1/695639/

machine translation posted:

Answering the question whether a total blackout is possible in Ukraine, Kudrytskyi said that theoretically it can threaten, but in practice he does not see such a danger now. 

"I believe that we have already passed the worst with missile attacks, I hope so. The dynamics of these attacks and the effect of those attacks shows that the Russians have less and less ability to cause any disturbances in our energy system," Kudrytskyi added.

He also noted that power engineers have also learned to new missile attacks of the terrorist state on our energy system. Therefore, there is little new that Russian troops can demonstrate on the battlefield with the Ukrainian energy system.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

To be fair... posted:

Post / username combo

I laughed at that pickup

Also what a petty probe.

Content, I thought I'd look at an overview of what Australia has provided for Ukraine. I was looking for more information about the M133s and the Bushmasters but see quite a lot of useful stuff I didn't think of:

https://www.dfat.gov.au/crisis-hub/...0its%20defence.

quote:

Australia’s response to Russia’s invasion
Prime Minister Albanese’s visit to Kyiv on 3 July sent a clear message that democratic nations like Australia will stand side-by-side with the Ukrainian people in their time of need. Australia is supporting Ukraine though:

AUD 475 million in military assistance to deliver important capabilities to the Ukrainian Armed Forces and support its defence.
AUD 65 million in humanitarian assistance provided through trusted partners to help meet the urgent needs of the Ukrainian people.
Deploying ADF personnel to the United Kingdom to provide training to Ukrainian troops through Operation INTERFLEX.
70,000 tonnes of thermal coal worth AUD 32.6 million to support Ukraine’s energy security.
AUD 8.7 million to assist Ukraine’s Border Guard Service to upgrade border management equipment, improve cyber security and enhance border operations in the field.
AUD 1 million and radiation detection/protection equipment worth AUD 686,000 through the International Atomic Energy Agency to help ensure the safe and secure operation of nuclear facilities.
AUD 200,000 to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons to help protect against chemical attacks.
Duty free access for Ukrainian imports to Australia, complementing similar trade measures taken by our partners.
Prioritising visa applications from Ukrainian nationals; since 23 February Australia has granted over 9,500 visas to Ukrainians.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Lol what the gently caress

https://mobile.twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1609678603456839686

Judgy Fucker posted:

Stop obsessively reading this thread you dumb American loser

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They are still getting overwhelmed, with the spillover usually looking like 10-20 cruise missiles finding their targets each wave, and that _probably_ can be mentally mapped to 10-20 power stations being taken out of operation for X days. Hence, they've been given Patriots, in addition to NASAMS, Crotales, and more things are being discussed.

As far as blackouts and energy security are concerned, that has remained a topic on the daily agenda for Ukraine for weeks now, so some people may be getting desensitized to it. For instance, the chairman of the state energy company was interviewed yesterday about a possibility of a nationwide energy blackout. https://www.epravda.com.ua/news/2023/01/1/695639/

The latest attack involved about 40 drones and Ukraine claims to have been able to down literally all of them. Of course, even downed drones/missiles can inflict damage, but if true, Russian attacks need to be something like 60-80 strong to be somewhat effective. It looks like they don't have that many on hand more often than once a fortnight either. Although my understanding is anti-air missiles actually cost way more than shaheds, so maybe the plan is to deplete Ukraine's anti-air stockpiles with cheap drones before another big attack with cruise missiles.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

saratoga posted:

Strelkov and other Ru military bloggers are conceding that there are hundreds of casualties; probably one of the most brutal strikes of the war if so, worse than the hits on barracks in early days of Ukrainian mobilization (back when Russian missiles were used on military targets).

Storing munitions in the same building where a lot of soldiers are living seems like a bad idea on 11th month of war.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah the munitions being stored there is truly a degree of stupid above and beyond the norm. HIMARS have been blowing up similar buildings that Russians have been ill-advisedly using as barracks or headquarters regularly for 6 months, but it's notable that this building is much bigger and much more completely destroyed than most of the HIMARS strikes. It's additionally wild because this has been telegraphed for months (as soon as the weather started getting cold and it was observed that Russians were often just taking over buildings instead of digging positions and it's just been a matter of time before something like this happens). Additionally it's hard to overstate just how not-a-secret most russian positions are. Hell a lot of the buildings that they use as barracks are literally the same buildings Ukraine was themselves using previously. Many of the others can be found simply by looking at large administration buildings or schools or gymnasiums in a given area and then noting the military trucks parked outside. In fact this obviousness became substantially worse as thousands of mobiks poured into the contested regions.

it's a wild waste of life, but man it is not at all a surprise that this happened.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 2, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Paladinus posted:

The latest attack involved about 40 drones and Ukraine claims to have been able to down literally all of them. Of course, even downed drones/missiles can inflict damage, but if true, Russian attacks need to be something like 60-80 strong to be somewhat effective. It looks like they don't have that many on hand more often than once a fortnight either. Although my understanding is anti-air missiles actually cost way more than shaheds, so maybe the plan is to deplete Ukraine's anti-air stockpiles with cheap drones before another big attack with cruise missiles.

I thought that the attacks every two weeks was to let the Ukrainians do repairs and then have them all be destroyed all over again (to sap their morale & supplies), or was that just a conjecture by the media? :confused:

:ukraine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Just Another Lurker posted:

I thought that the attacks every two weeks was to let the Ukrainians do repairs and then have them all be destroyed all over again (to sap their morale & supplies), or was that just a conjecture by the media? :confused:

Yeah I haven't heard much actual detail about the nature of these attacks. Knowing nothing about electricity networks for example, it seems that there's a limited number of... transformers or substations or whatever, and they're obviously not mobile and their locations cannot be kept secret, so you'd think Russia would be able to just bomb those things until enough of them are gone and the network collapses? But apparently that hasn't happened? Are the Ukrainians repairing the damage easily? Or are they able to protect all of the most important substations (or whatever) using SAMs like IRIS-T etc? Or have they built missile-proof fortifications? Or can one somehow build new transformers (or whatever) in a different location?