Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Unsolved problems in computer science are basically unsolved problems in maths anyway. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A TAS of pretty much any game that allows arbitrary code execution fits in the computer mysteries corner. Thinking of the OOT TAS where they use inputs from all four controllers to build up a rudimentary compiler at something like 100bytes per second due to the initially very limited number of safe inputs that they can use to inject code. They use that to code a more complex compiler and free up more inputs, which they use to code a nearly fully functional compiler and allow themselves to inject enough code per second to basically do whatever they want in the engine via controller input states.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Sounds pretty solved to me then :colbert:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The unsolved mystery, as always, is in our hearts.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

bike tory posted:

A TAS of pretty much any game that allows arbitrary code execution fits in the computer mysteries corner. Thinking of the OOT TAS where they use inputs from all four controllers to build up a rudimentary compiler at something like 100bytes per second due to the initially very limited number of safe inputs that they can use to inject code. They use that to code a more complex compiler and free up more inputs, which they use to code a nearly fully functional compiler and allow themselves to inject enough code per second to basically do whatever they want in the engine via controller input states.

lol

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

pumpinglemma posted:

Unsolved problems in computer science are basically unsolved problems in maths anyway. :colbert:

That's why the math Olympiad is it's own category, it's for the solved ones.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Math one is basically all of those JRPGs that have 'solved' RNG with step routes and poo poo

It's cool, cause it's like 'OK I stepped on an extra tile here to guarantee perfect RNG on the final boss 3 hours from now'

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

BadMedic posted:

Math one is basically all of those JRPGs that have 'solved' RNG with step routes and poo poo

It's cool, cause it's like 'OK I stepped on an extra tile here to guarantee perfect RNG on the final boss 3 hours from now'

You reminded me of the Dragon Warrior speedrun at AGDQ 2018, which is a very good example of the type. Just walking halfway across the world map while occasionally stopping briefly on one tile in order to manipulate the RNG into not generating random encounters.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Tau Wedel posted:

You reminded me of the Dragon Warrior speedrun at AGDQ 2018, which is a very good example of the type. Just walking halfway across the world map while occasionally stopping briefly on one tile in order to manipulate the RNG into not generating random encounters.

The combat RNG manipulation is what's really interesting to me about that run.

Command?
Command?
Command?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

EightFlyingCars posted:

i'm thinking the fallout 3 run where a dude provided an actual physical prop to describe the hosed up seventh-dimensional geometry of the skip he was about to do

Wasn't that a fallout 4 run? Either way it was pretty funny when he busted it out

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

ilmucche posted:

Wasn't that a fallout 4 run? Either way it was pretty funny when he busted it out

Probably thinking of TomatoAnus' classic AGDQ2020 Fallout Anthology run. And yes, it's in the Fallout 4 section, but the entire thing is loving great.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
OneShortEye has a followup KQ5 video in which an old mystery is solved

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Tau Wedel posted:

I love that run. It’s the epitome of “looks easy but is actually incredibly difficult.”

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So, AGDQ this weekend, huh? I've been on a binge of old runs, so it's about drat time.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Shame that they're not doing an offline marathon.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kikas posted:

So, AGDQ this weekend, huh? I've been on a binge of old runs, so it's about drat time.

I've been looking forward to this way too much. It's not like there isn't a constant stream of speedrun stuff I could be watching these days but the GDQ commentary is great, especially for games/runs I'm not familiar with.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

BoldFace posted:

Shame that they're not doing an offline marathon.

Better online than offline and in Florida.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the worst part of an online marathon is that every dipshit runner has no idea how to manage their audio and they’re inevitably full of keyboard and controller clacking and I have to mute it

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Nemo2342 posted:

Better online than offline and in Florida.

Yeah I'm sad that its not offline but they made the right choice when they canceled their reservation.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've got next week off work so looking forward to soaking up some speedruns

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I dont remember (though I probably heard) but I assume the cancellation on the offline/in person GDQ was due to Florida being a loving shithole rats nest of a state?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

ZeusCannon posted:

I dont remember (though I probably heard) but I assume the cancellation on the offline/in person GDQ was due to Florida being a loving shithole rats nest of a state?

Yeah, I think specifically it was that they couldn't guarantee the safety of their attendees due to the anti-LGBT legislation going down there.

I wonder how much money the fundraiser org (however it's incorporated, idk) lost on cancelling that.

fake edit: Found it:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
not gonna watch a single second

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ArfJason posted:

not gonna watch a single second
but now you can not watch a single second online

as opposed to not watching a single second of people in Florida

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Florida man breaks Super Mario Record

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

how the gently caress is it almost gdq time already

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

happy biannual update streamlink & streamlink twitch gui day to those who celebrate

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

EightFlyingCars posted:

how the gently caress is it almost gdq time already

Time is broken. It's been broken since early 2020.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's currently the beginning of 2019 part 5

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

oldskool posted:

happy biannual update streamlink & streamlink twitch gui day to those who celebrate

lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

oldskool posted:

:emptyquote:

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/1611014672869720064

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Jesus Christ no way these are real posts, I refuse to believe I just read something someone said. Gotta be bots right?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I get the sentiment but reading "It's with a heavy heart that we announce Mike Uyama..." made me assume he'd died. So, uh, glad that wasn't the case.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

They desperately needed to rephrase that first line, but at this point it would be weird if their messaging wasn't hosed up in some way.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
So does he become visible to arf now or what?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

So does he become visible to arf now or what?

visible to who?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
So wait if arf doesnt watch speedruns, why is arf in the speedrun thread.

Also the Doom 2016 rec someone made for speedrun was excellent. The 100% mode means lotta combat and interesting pathing with a few "glitches" but mostly very skilled gameplay

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

Also the Doom 2016 rec someone made for speedrun was excellent. The 100% mode means lotta combat and interesting pathing with a few "glitches" but mostly very skilled gameplay

Doom 2016 was great fun and that sounds interesting since it's not just going out of bounds straight to the exit. I am absolutely not gonna watch to confirm nor deny this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lmao chalk me up as another who thought they were announcing that mike died