Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Pour one out for Hannibal; RIP to a real one. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Oh my.

Chronometry
Jul 19, 2022
What is this godsdamn plot armour?!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Romans gotta Rome, evidently

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's important to remember that more than military technology and good generals (Romans often had the worst generals) it was Rome's ability to just raise more armies that got them victories.
It's a bit like fighting Russia in the modern era and it will be an uphill battle until the end.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Fivemarks posted:

Jesus loving christ, how strong are these Rome buffs?

They definitely get permanent bonuses to army morale and discipline from decisions, and I think the Invictus mod gives more bonuses via missions

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Cunningly Brutal or Brutally Cunning? That's our Gisco Gisco

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Turns out Rome is pretty OP in the Rome game.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Pacho posted:

Cunningly Brutal or Brutally Cunning? That's our Gisco Gisco

Centuries from now, whenever anyone does anything bold and audacious and ballsy, people are gonna say, "check out the Giscos on this guy!"

You know, assuming we don't get delenda est'ed off the face of the earth before then

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Jesus, how the frack was Rome able to raise such doomstacks of superior.. Holy. Yay, a win!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Actually did we manage to save any of Gaul with our crash dummy tactics? At least we might be (somewhat) forestalling their blobbing everywhere else with this silliness

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Actually did we manage to save any of Gaul with our crash dummy tactics? At least we might be (somewhat) forestalling their blobbing everywhere else with this silliness

eh

they did have to peace out of a couple Gallic wars, yeah, but as soon as our war ended (literally like a month later), they declared for something in Greece

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes that does sound like Rome.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

wedgekree posted:

Jesus, how the frack was Rome able to raise such doomstacks of superior.. Holy. Yay, a win!

Good farmland, lots of slaves to do the work on it, and consequentially an economy that leaves military service as the only way up for a large portion of the free population, who are intensively drilled and supplied by a state run by people who love logistics almost as much as they love litigation. (This is a big deal, lots of other states expected the troops to supply themselves. In the Roman army, it's the general's job.)

These people invented prefab forts that they would carry with them and put together each night when they camped. They get warm fuzzy feelings inside when they contemplate earthworks. They're as bad as Americans.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Facts:

1. romans are mammals.
2. romans fight ALL the time.
3. The purpose of the roman is to flip out and conquer people.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Good farmland, lots of slaves to do the work on it, and consequentially an economy that leaves military service as the only way up for a large portion of the free population, who are intensively drilled and supplied by a state run by people who love logistics almost as much as they love litigation. (This is a big deal, lots of other states expected the troops to supply themselves. In the Roman army, it's the general's job.)

These people invented prefab forts that they would carry with them and put together each night when they camped. They get warm fuzzy feelings inside when they contemplate earthworks. They're as bad as Americans.

Well, true but the point about the slaves and economy driving people into military service is usually ascribed to LATE Republican Rome and beyond, after they've beaten up Carthage. Before, it was independent farmers getting themselves their own gear. The rest still applies though.

Funny enough, it WAS the second punic war that killed so MANY of the small farmers (and a lot of the senators, and a lot of... everyone) that changed Roman society a lot to concentrate wealth and power and made it so all of the above/what you said happens.

At least to my understanding. Might be forgetting some things.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lateinshowing posted:

Well, true but the point about the slaves and economy driving people into military service is usually ascribed to LATE Republican Rome and beyond, after they've beaten up Carthage. Before, it was independent farmers getting themselves their own gear. The rest still applies though.

Funny enough, it WAS the second punic war that killed so MANY of the small farmers (and a lot of the senators, and a lot of... everyone) that changed Roman society a lot to concentrate wealth and power and made it so all of the above/what you said happens.

At least to my understanding. Might be forgetting some things.

Imperator glosses over the Marian Reforms and treats the Roman army as the standardized thing we all think of for the whole game, but Rome was the power player in Italy after ~300BC and definitely so after the pyrrhic war. There are a lot of reasons behind their deep manpower reserves: they had the whole peninsula to draw on (about half of the army would be allied legions, for example), some political developments involving the rich members of the plebian class meant that they had a legal structure that protected their free classes from easily getting locked into slavery via debt (leaving them available for military service), they had some cultural baggage from foreign occupation that made them very interested in maintaining the ability to raise lots of men if needed, etc. And, being a republic, they could do some desperate stuff when they were in trouble and still ride out the aftermath -- Rome armed slaves to fill out armies a couple times and it didn't upend their political order because they could just absorb those people into it.

A lot of Rome's performance on the field came from their officer corps, but that's out of the scope of Imperator besides a % number for discipline.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

So how powerful are the Romans compared to the other ‘main’ nations? Based on the start of the LP I’m guessing paradox didn’t go the HOI4 route of buffing Germany and other minor nations to make more of them a viable play though?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Weavered posted:

So how powerful are the Romans compared to the other ‘main’ nations? Based on the start of the LP I’m guessing paradox didn’t go the HOI4 route of buffing Germany and other minor nations to make more of them a viable play though?

yeah Paradox cancelled development on the game before any regions other than Rome and the Diadochi got any real development or flavour, so they tend to be the heavyweights in a lot of games

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Not to mention Invictus buffs them further iirc

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Does Invictus extend the timeframe any, or are we gonna have to invent our own Fall of Rome when converting to CK3?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Honestly, I think this LP is in the running for "Shortest Time till goon voting led to disaster in a paradox LP."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I mean, if you ask goons, “should we destroy Rome,” you know what they’re gonna say.

They’ll say, “what if we could date Rome instead?”

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Bad idea, Rome is all about toxic masculinity and they're also an abusive spouse.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
The only type of dating that will be done with Rome is carbon dating.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

By popular demand posted:

Bad idea, Rome is all about toxic masculinity and they're also an abusive spouse.

we can fix them

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i am determined to make this toxic, co-dependent relationship work

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

*smashing dolls of Dido and Romulus together and making big kissy noises* huh did you say something

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
If Cleopatra did it, we surely can do it as well, right? All we need is Gisco Gisco and one of the Roman consuls together in a private room...

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

ZiegeDame posted:

Does Invictus extend the timeframe any, or are we gonna have to invent our own Fall of Rome when converting to CK3?

we'll be playing Imperator until shortly after the rise of Christianity, and then hopping over to CK3 -- I've got plans for how to deal with the intervening time skip, some of it decided by the thread

I've been thinking about starting CK3 at 600 AD so we can watch the rise of Islam play out too, but it might be more balanced to start at 700 and have the extent of Islam be decided by vote - still sorta undecided on that, we'll see

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

biosterous posted:

Facts:

1. romans are mammals.
2. romans fight ALL the time.
3. The purpose of the roman is to flip out and conquer people.

I heard that there was this roman who was traveling in alexandria. And when some dude made a mean play about him the roman killed the whole town. My friend Marcus said that he saw a roman totally crucify some kid just because the kid opened a window.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
There better not being any goddamn merchants this time! :argh:

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

hashashash posted:

we'll be playing Imperator until shortly after the rise of Christianity, and then hopping over to CK3 -- I've got plans for how to deal with the intervening time skip, some of it decided by the thread

I've been thinking about starting CK3 at 600 AD so we can watch the rise of Islam play out too, but it might be more balanced to start at 700 and have the extent of Islam be decided by vote - still sorta undecided on that, we'll see

Would Islam even arise in this altered timeline? Unless we get loving bodied by Rome.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

Would Islam even arise in this altered timeline? Unless we get loving bodied by Rome.

Since we are doing absolutely nothing that would stop it from rising, it's entirely up to author fiat.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

once we get this "rome" situation under control, im feeling a couple expeditions to india, maybe control the routes to it and get everyone to worship Ba'al on the way

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

once we get this "rome" situation under control, im feeling a couple expeditions to india, maybe control the routes to it and get everyone to worship Ba'al on the way

Frankly we should aim that direction even earlier, that area from the Black Sea down to the Levant I have a good feeling about finding allies that'll freak out Rome quite a bit in the future. It's a good place to talent scout

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Fivemarks posted:

I mean as soon as we unpause technically we could just throw everything out the window, but I want the three Abrahamic faiths to sort of 'anchor' the LP, so they'll definitely be present in CK3 in some form

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So the Phoenicians are about to dominate the Levant and get annoyed at those stubborn Jews not trucking with idolatry, Repeatedly?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

By popular demand posted:

So the Phoenicians are about to dominate the Levant and get annoyed at those stubborn Jews not trucking with idolatry, Repeatedly?

depending on the votes, maybe - or they might become a diaspora like OTL, or maybe we'll end up with Jews in India or the Steppe

although the levant isn't looking very Phoenician atm, Egypt has everything from Syria to Kush (rip)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

hashashash posted:

depending on the votes, maybe - or they might become a diaspora like OTL, or maybe we'll end up with Jews in India or the Steppe

although the levant isn't looking very Phoenician atm, Egypt has everything from Syria to Kush (rip)

Oh like hell we're gonna let some inbred Ptolemies own the lands of our forefathers! Put them on the List right under the barbarian upstart Romans.