Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did they already dub Doan's Island?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it had a theatrical run in September.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Waffleman_ posted:

I have terrible timing, I just started rewatching Gundam shows again in October, and just missed the theatre run. No idea if it was run anywhere near me though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was also one of those lame one or two night only engagements and I also missed it because I had work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah I knew it got a theater run but I'm surprised it had a dubbed theater run.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, it was really just like one subbed showing one night and one dubbed showing the other night for most theaters lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Guess I'll wait until GundamInfo plays it then.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rightstuf is likely to offer the Japanese discs soon, or you could go through CDJapan or Play-Asia and get it now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There'll probably be an international Rightstuf disc and potentially a Crunchyroll and/or Netflix release early next year.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Any word on a blu ray for Hathaway or did the Netflix deal screw us out of any chance for a physical release?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShHntNzRgI

Happy New Year. I had a burger tonight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

New Pulitzer

https://trafalgarlog.wordpress.com/2022/12/31/mobile-suit-gundam-pulitzer-amuro-ray-beyond-the-aurora-report-12-sayla-mass-part-1/

Heeeeeere's Sayla! PART ONE!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

So when we get to the end of this I'm fully expecting Kikka to get chased down by Feddies trying to censor her journalism, right?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Supremezero posted:

Truly, in anime you are old the moment you pass 19

Arn Anderson Syndrome has become an epidemic in the Universal Century

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://www.zeonic-republic.net/?p=10015

Manga based on radio play about what happened to Riddhe after the end of Unicorn.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dangerous Person posted:

Century Color is the poo poo

Century Colour took a while to grow on me but it eventually did.

Shame that the episode that it did grow on me was the final episode of Turn A.

Really good show btw, glad I had it on my 2022 toxx. I'm still digesting it so not much more to say at the moment.

IGLOO was a lot less good. Maybe IGLOO 2 can redeem things.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Century Colour took a while to grow on me but it eventually did.

Shame that the episode that it did grow on me was the final episode of Turn A.

Really good show btw, glad I had it on my 2022 toxx. I'm still digesting it so not much more to say at the moment.

IGLOO was a lot less good. Maybe IGLOO 2 can redeem things.

I have disappointing news.

Speaking of bad Gundam material, For the Barrel finished as it began. That is to say, incomprehensible, pointlessly grim, and with no flow to its events.

After introducing a weird subplot where Amuro's vision of his death was fake... somehow, he still dies exactly the same, Hayato dies for no reason in a side note, the Bright romance that was mentioned offhandedly a couple times is mentioned in the exact same way in the ending, with the exact same result they said would happen, Kai betrays the Federation, Sayla gets space cancer, and Char does... something after murdering Sleggar, but it's not clear.

The whole story never comes to any kind of conclusion, instead just kind of ending and doing an Animal House epilogue. It's a mess, and it's no wonder it was allowed to fade into obscurity.

Even so! It still gave us something of value, something that we would likely have never gotten otherwise.

Koyama Shigeto, the character designer, was a complete rookie when he started, not even drawing much for himself according to the development notes. If not for For the Barrel, he probably would never have entered the field. And looking at his work history, that would probably be a major loss, since he wound up working on a lot of good anime, including Inferno Cop, the greatest achievement in human history. So, without For the Barrel, we might not have Inferno Cop. And the world would be so much poorer for it.

A lesson for all of us, I suppose.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The worst thing about IGLOO is when it tries to act like it has something to say or an overarching story. Just give me more stupid zeon death traps or cool tank fights. Also make another one that's just more of that but not CG this time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I also missed the big update that gave 4 chapters before Sayla

https://mangadex.org/chapter/f13ac77c-f636-4aed-bb24-bd02abf7bb22/1

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drat man, Pulitzer is good

I mean it's really just the cliffsnotes of all the subtext in the tomino gundams, but still. It's a great presentation of the stuff that's not quite directly stated and a real fanservice treat (not the horny kind thankfully)

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

I have disappointing news.

Speaking of bad Gundam material, For the Barrel finished as it began. That is to say, incomprehensible, pointlessly grim, and with no flow to its events.

After introducing a weird subplot where Amuro's vision of his death was fake... somehow, he still dies exactly the same, Hayato dies for no reason in a side note, the Bright romance that was mentioned offhandedly a couple times is mentioned in the exact same way in the ending, with the exact same result they said would happen, Kai betrays the Federation, Sayla gets space cancer, and Char does... something after murdering Sleggar, but it's not clear.

The whole story never comes to any kind of conclusion, instead just kind of ending and doing an Animal House epilogue. It's a mess, and it's no wonder it was allowed to fade into obscurity.

Even so! It still gave us something of value, something that we would likely have never gotten otherwise.

Koyama Shigeto, the character designer, was a complete rookie when he started, not even drawing much for himself according to the development notes. If not for For the Barrel, he probably would never have entered the field. And looking at his work history, that would probably be a major loss, since he wound up working on a lot of good anime, including Inferno Cop, the greatest achievement in human history. So, without For the Barrel, we might not have Inferno Cop. And the world would be so much poorer for it.

A lesson for all of us, I suppose.

I think Terrible Writing Advice did an episode on this kind of "This story is mature so its pointlessly dark and grim" kind of writing.

Nuebot posted:

The worst thing about IGLOO is when it tries to act like it has something to say or an overarching story. Just give me more stupid zeon death traps or cool tank fights. Also make another one that's just more of that but not CG this time.

C'mon, lets be honest. IGLOO does have something to say, and that something is "Fascism and the Nazis are awesome."

Its just not a good thing to say.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Just Communication fits over the Witch From Mercury intro almost perfectly

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Honestly most OPs fit over most intros because they're all roughly the same length and follow similar patterns.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Knew I should have written a disclaimer for that exact post

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How well does Danger Zone fit over G Witch.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
the first "highway to the danger zone" lyric is sung as Suletta is walking towards Chu Chu, but in case you need more, "she got you jumpin' off the deck" plays when the Gundam flies over Miorine to the dueling zone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MillennialVulcan posted:

the first "highway to the danger zone" lyric is sung as Suletta is walking towards Chu Chu, but in case you need more, "she got you jumpin' off the deck" plays when the Gundam flies over Miorine to the dueling zone.

0083 has some competition then.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

Honestly most OPs fit over most intros because they're all roughly the same length and follow similar patterns.

oh hey, I just saw this thread talking about the same thing, in fancy musical terms I do not understand

https://twitter.com/atelierjoshua/status/1609588774916481024?s=20&t=F7_pqGjgr-KHYShbc4zqfA

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Arc Hammer posted:

0083 has some competition then.

Blue shoulders and a flight pack, all signs look good for a mobile armour add-on for her next happy birthday.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jackhunter64 posted:

Blue shoulders and a flight pack, all signs look good for a mobile armour add-on for her next happy birthday.

Miorine wasn't looking for a love affair but she needs the magic when Suletta holds her near.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

oh hey, I just saw this thread talking about the same thing, in fancy musical terms I do not understand

https://twitter.com/atelierjoshua/status/1609588774916481024?s=20&t=F7_pqGjgr-KHYShbc4zqfA

Lmao Phil Spector would have made some banger OPs if he hadn't been crazy.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Assuming this isn't just made up bullshit this thread has some interesting stuff in it

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1609891642697195520?t=rrbrnVksvxRyaf6AMQFbBQ&s=19

They're trying to string me along with false hope for more thunderbolt and I'm mad about it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just a few more years and maybe we get some Zeong vs Zeong action. I want it too.

On a more realistic timescale I'm interested in the talk about the production on Hathaway 2. I thought they'd have more of it done but apparently they're doing a bunch of changes for the adaptation because I guess the second part of the story doesn't have a lot of fight scenes? I haven't read the novel just know the broad strokes. So rather than a direct adaptation these films are more their own interpretation and alterations of the plot. But if they're still in the writing phase I'm kind of shocked because the first film ended in such a way that it felt they had already got a plan laid out. But still finalizing script changes and designs, have they even started to animate yet?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 3, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm still wondering if the live action movie is just going to go for adapting the story of 0079 or if it's going to do its own thing, kinda like how Monsterverse Godzilla is its own thing as opposed to Toho Godzilla

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Just a few more years and maybe we get some Zeong vs Zeong action. I want it too.

On a more realistic timescale I'm interested in the talk about the production on Hathaway 2. I thought they'd have more of it done but apparently they're doing a bunch of changes for the adaptation because I guess the second part of the story doesn't have a lot of fight scenes? I haven't read the novel just know the broad strokes. So rather than a direct adaptation these films are more their own interpretation and alterations of the plot. But if they're still in the writing phase I'm kind of shocked because the first film ended in such a way that it felt they had already got a plan laid out. But still finalizing script changes and designs, have they even started to animate yet?

Aren't most of those animators working on gwitch now? Seems like the ideal time to get writing and design work done.

Tbh I had thought the hathaway studio was the gwitch studio but then there was news about the hathaway animators stepping in to help out the gwitch animators so i guess i know nothing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

They're trying to string me along with false hope for more thunderbolt and I'm mad about it

I don't think "well, we never said we wouldn't do it" should really be kindling the hope in your breast

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bandit flower just seems like such an odd place to end it. At least December Sky finished

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I don't think "well, we never said we wouldn't do it" should really be kindling the hope in your breast

It's not that it makes me think it's going to happen. It's that I'm at "I've finished going through the grieving process don't keep trying to tell me the corpse is going to wake back up any day now"

(Yes likening an anime to a dead person is silly and I'm being hyperbolic to highlight my special interest in this topic)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

It's not that it makes me think it's going to happen. It's that I'm at "I've finished going through the grieving process don't keep trying to tell me the corpse is going to wake back up any day now"

(Yes likening an anime to a dead person is silly and I'm being hyperbolic to highlight my special interest in this topic)

It would be great to get more animated Thunderbolt, the volcano battle animated at OVA quality would be the best animated mecha action ever. But you can still read the manga, the volcano battle in the manga is still loving jawdropping. Only having Thunderbolt in manga form is far from the worst possible timeline

Besides they did Bandit Flower and then didn't even make a Thuderbolt Acguy kit so what's the loving point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

"Oft have I digg'd up dead men from their graves,
And set them upright at their dear friends' doors,
Even when their sorrows almost were forgot;
And on their skins, as on the bark of trees,
Have with my knife carved in Roman letters,
'Let not your sorrow die, though I am dead.'"