Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Friend posted:

Just had a weird bug. Noticed some merchants meandering around a field, upset for having not done [everything] in a long time. Then I realized I hadn't had merchants (or migrants) visit in ages. Checked my trade depot and it was full of goods that were not mine. Destroyed it and built a new one and lo and behold I finally got some migrants soon after. Hope nobody gets mad I stole their forgotten wares!

My last fort was in a marsh and I had tons of little water puddles all over the map. I was looking around at one z-level down for drainage options to rescue some of the very limited logs that had fallen in the water and discovered nearly every pool was full of stuck merchants, bards, and random angry diplomats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

what can i do with clay?

If you're me, have multiple workshops producing infinite clay bricks continuously, because I need everywhere to have a constructed floor and there's never enough damned rock. Hail clay! :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How the hell do you get automining to work? I do it and it just lets me select a few random tiles of ore, ones that are visible; it digs them out and them stops. I can't select more than that. This sounds like a fell sorcery.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
Thanks for the tips, everybody, lots of good info I want to say sounds vaguely familiar? I know I messed with automine way back when it was first introduced, but it's been so long I'm basically new to it.

Telsa Cola posted:

I forget exactly how it works (probably on the wiki) but if you dig out certain normal squares around ramps it reverts the ramp to an open/nonramp space. Which is possibly what happened.

Gnoman posted:

The described interaction can occur with purely horizontal digging. If you're using ramps to move between Z-levels, it is very possible for your automine designation to remove the walls around the ramp. This not only makes it unusable, but usually makes it cease to exist.

I believe these account for the original problem, the one I recovered from, as seen here:

That open space used to have a downward slope, and directly below it an upward slope to match. Seems obvious they vanished when the surroundings were mined. The stairs are what I hastily dug out to save my miner.

The new problem, where two miners died, is a bit more curious:

Doing what amounts to the DF equivalent of git --bisect, by trying to construct a table on various Z levels, shows me these two levels are where things go pear shaped. On the upper level I can place a table just fine, but one level down and "no access to table". It's an awkward looking tile graphic, but it's clearly labeled as a pair of slopes and doesn't say "unusable", shouldn't it connect the levels? Or am I misinterpreting what that tile is showing?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nessus posted:

How the hell do you get automining to work? I do it and it just lets me select a few random tiles of ore, ones that are visible; it digs them out and them stops. I can't select more than that. This sounds like a fell sorcery.

If there's more ore behind it after it digs out the visible tiles, they'll keep digging out the ore vein. Or at least they should.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I have 448 billion bars in my stock, but I can only use 11 bars for flooring.. what have I done?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

e: also auto doesn't seem to mine out tiles marked as blueprints

This is interesting. I stopped automining the last time my miners cracked straight through into a known cavern, but if I can throw up a limiter that's suddenly maybe viable again

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I have 448 billion bars in my stock, but I can only use 11 bars for flooring.. what have I done?

oh gently caress the flooring shows up as in my stock? lol wtf

ok with that solved.. I have a shitload of cloth, silk, leather bags and tons of gypsum, anyone know why cant I make plaster powder in my kiln?

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 2, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

If there's more ore behind it after it digs out the visible tiles, they'll keep digging out the ore vein. Or at least they should.
Hasn't worked that way for me but I did not make wide trial of the feature and I could have gotten a false negative.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Is there a specific message when someone dies of old age, or they're killed by a vampire? One of my humans just dropped dead in the middle of using a furnace. She was pushing ninety, but ages are weird in DF and I'm not familiar with when natural causes kicks in for most races.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Crackmaster posted:

It's an awkward looking tile graphic, but it's clearly labeled as a pair of slopes and doesn't say "unusable", shouldn't it connect the levels? Or am I misinterpreting what that tile is showing?

Oh, poo poo, I think I get it; ramps don't just need adjacent floor on the level above, they need adjacent walls on their own level, so since my east, southeast, and south connections got mined out, the ramp now only connects northeast, which on the upper level is solid wall, so nobody can walk the ramp anymore. Gotcha. Well that's what I get for working with what the land gave me and ignoring my usual 3x3 staircases. Learning is fun!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I just found the "Mandate Period" setting in custom difficulty and made it twice as long. Very useful if you feel like you're just being constantly bothered by your nobles asking for three of the same drat item again and again.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Appoda posted:

Is there a specific message when someone dies of old age, or they're killed by a vampire? One of my humans just dropped dead in the middle of using a furnace. She was pushing ninety, but ages are weird in DF and I'm not familiar with when natural causes kicks in for most races.

If they die of old age they're just found dead, and if you memorialize them it'll say they died peacefully. I found it usually happens right as a season changes. If it's a vampire death the log will be specific about it ("found drained of blood").

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nessus posted:

It will auto designate more of the same ore/gem if it is revealed. It won't automatically start mining a new kind of ore/gem that gets uncovered. And you can only auto mine ore, gems, plaster stones, and whatever koalinite counts as (clay bearing?). Tragically I can't make it mine out an entire marble layer

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Clocks posted:

If they die of old age they're just found dead, and if you memorialize them it'll say they died peacefully. I found it usually happens right as a season changes. If it's a vampire death the log will be specific about it ("found drained of blood").

That's exactly what happened. Thanks for the confirmation.

She earned her citizenship and became a princess just before she died. We had just made a full set of masterwork steel armor sized for humans, too... I suppose we'll bury her in it. :rip:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Now there's a mood

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just found the "Mandate Period" setting in custom difficulty and made it twice as long. Very useful if you feel like you're just being constantly bothered by your nobles asking for three of the same drat item again and again.

I ended up setting a repeating order for 3 slabs and 3 crowns, once a month for my noble and it kept him very happy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

One of my miners managed to run into a tile just as it was turned into obsidian from a collision between water and magma, amazed there's actually an unique description for that death.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
How do people go with like, relocating facilities in the fortress as they dig deeper? Like once you get into the cavern levels do you spend a lot of time redoing all the bedrooms and poo poo to be closer to the new resources or what are peoples' strategies for that? I have a thing now where I get set up real nice close to the surface and then it just seems like such a huge hassle to move everyone lower, but I also don't wanna have 40 z-levels between my workshops and the goods.

I might also need to just learn how to use minecarts.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Is there any way I can change out an anvil at a Metalsmiths Forge that is already in place? I have a steel anvil and artifact lead anvil that I'd love to swap in if it is possible. (Or would it be smarter to create a second Metalsmiths Forge?)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TracerBullet posted:

Is there any way I can change out an anvil at a Metalsmiths Forge that is already in place? I have a steel anvil and artifact lead anvil that I'd love to swap in if it is possible. (Or would it be smarter to create a second Metalsmiths Forge?)
Creating a second forge is the easiest way to do it, and if you have the talent, this allows you to have parallel completion of metalworking jobs, potentially increasing your throughput. Otherwise, deconstruct the original Forge and rebuild with the artifact anvil.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
So I was doing work underground when I got notifications that stuff was collapsing on the surface. I assumed it was the woodcutters getting bonked with wood, but when I went and looked...

Oh.

I loaded an earlier save just so I could check where the fire started, and it started in my... refuse stockpile? I can only assume that it was the corpse of creature that spawned after i mined the gem-studded walls spontaneously combusting. So now I've continued my current save and am being constantly pinged by collapsed warnings... my entire mountain has burned, but fortunately the only casualties were some livestock and the two echidnas...

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Extra forges are always good, but you can simply dismantle and rebuild with the new anvil.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Thank you both, that's what I figured. I think I'll just build another but is there any way to designate which anvil would be 'picked' for the new Forge? Would a steel or artifact lead be 'better'?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Down With People posted:

How do people go with like, relocating facilities in the fortress as they dig deeper? Like once you get into the cavern levels do you spend a lot of time redoing all the bedrooms and poo poo to be closer to the new resources or what are peoples' strategies for that? I have a thing now where I get set up real nice close to the surface and then it just seems like such a huge hassle to move everyone lower, but I also don't wanna have 40 z-levels between my workshops and the goods.

I might also need to just learn how to use minecarts.

I usually build one large temporary dormitory near the surface to start. I only start building individual bedrooms when I relocate (either deeper, or higher ... I like the idea of building large structures above ground). I also dig deep fast, I usually only have one or two migrant waves before I start building the proper fortress.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Anvils are essentially identical in performance. The benefit of using the artifact one is that it will make that artifact impossible to steal. It also balloons room value if you have your forge in the dining hall or something bizarre.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TracerBullet posted:

but is there any way to designate which anvil would be 'picked' for the new Forge?

When you go through the building material selection screens, you can click the little chevron next to any category of material to select specific furniture items, such as your fancy anvil.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I appointed a captain of the guard and I think it flipped some switch where my dwarves wanted to commit crimes, and like 5 guys beat my legendary weaponsmith to death in seconds. Also this has not appeared as a crime.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

UP AND ADAM posted:

I appointed a captain of the guard and I think it flipped some switch where my dwarves wanted to commit crimes, and like 5 guys beat my legendary weaponsmith to death in seconds. Also this has not appeared as a crime.
Well yeah, you institute a system of laws and suddenly all kinds of things are crimes. Wait til you hear about the dwarven economy.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

How do I prevent dwarves from taking eggs from nest boxes on a surface pasture? Just forbid the nest box? Will the turkeys still use it?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Spot the eggs being laid and forbid them.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Krataar posted:

How do I prevent dwarves from taking eggs from nest boxes on a surface pasture? Just forbid the nest box? Will the turkeys still use it?

i put the nest boxes in a room and lock the room til they hatch

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you want to be proactive, put the turkeys in room with a nest box and forbid the door.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How do I make a retractable plank over lava correctly for vampire burial? I could build out a floor and remove the edge support, but I'm always worried about the dwarf doing that work being pulled down like with channeling the last support in a similar scenario. I'd like to use a lever pull to activate. In construction there is the "support" that I think does this, but is that from a lower z-level? Build an island a z-level higher over the lava tube? The support being one z-level lower attached to the edge? Lever linked to support?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

How do I make a retractable plank over lava correctly for vampire burial? I could build out a floor and remove the edge support, but I'm always worried about the dwarf doing that work being pulled down like with channeling the last support in a similar scenario. I'd like to use a lever pull to activate. In construction there is the "support" that I think does this, but is that from a lower z-level? Build an island a z-level higher over the lava tube? The support being one z-level lower attached to the edge? Lever linked to support?

Retractable drawbridge? Has the benefit of reusability

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
is there a way to cut down the migration rate to about half? i'm having fun but uhhh the population is growing faster than i can keep up with

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Is there a mod or easy way to make it so I can grow all plants underground? I've done the channeling out a skylight and putting a floor back on song dance for 30+ z-levels. I've paid my dues!

Krataar posted:

Ban the use of eggs in cooking and don't allow eggs in any of your stockpiles. I rarely lock the door on my indoor coop so it should work fine above ground. Otherwise you have to forbid the eggs I believe. I always bring 1 egg of each bird I'm bringing so I can ban egg use in kitchens at embark!

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Can pigs still live in the dark in a horrible underground cave pasture?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Krataar posted:

Can pigs still live in the dark in a horrible underground cave pasture?

Pigs don't eat, store em anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Zeruel posted:

So I was doing work underground when I got notifications that stuff was collapsing on the surface. I assumed it was the woodcutters getting bonked with wood, but when I went and looked...

Oh.

I loaded an earlier save just so I could check where the fire started, and it started in my... refuse stockpile? I can only assume that it was the corpse of creature that spawned after i mined the gem-studded walls spontaneously combusting. So now I've continued my current save and am being constantly pinged by collapsed warnings... my entire mountain has burned, but fortunately the only casualties were some livestock and the two echidnas...

There's also a vermin that starts fires but they only spawn by magma.