Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Yankees even-year bullshit begins 2024 https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1610335933789880324

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

xbilkis posted:

"It was always about the years" in that he would make more money by signing a contract with more years on it, yes

Well, it's the years that are keeping him from signing a contract.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Well, that should alleviate McMagic's concerns about the Yankees FO being too behind the times.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Well, that should alleviate McMagic's concerns about the Yankees FO being too behind the times.

I dunno, it's long past time to [insert hatred for Gleyber Torres here]

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zoux posted:

It was always about the years. Astros offered him a five year deal with $32m AAV, the Mets deal is $26m AAV and, as we've noted, that is going to be chump change in 2035. It's why you take the immediate payout over the annuity if you win the lottery. I just assumed the years were about his back problems, but this ankle thing has everyone doing concerned chin rubbing.

390 million to 150 million is what the difference was before the medical stuff popped up. That's not going to be eaten up by inflation its not a 50 year annuity its the difference of 10 years.

We also don't know the structure of these deals. Its possible to get his 150 million over the first 5 and then have the AAV drop.

Again, these 10+ year deals are so the players get the highest amount possible without needing to sign again while the team can spread out the AAV to avoid the luxury tax. Its not about "the years" its about the total dollars.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

more falafel please posted:

Sadly I think if Russell had been anything like "good" at "baseball" he would have had a big league job as soon as his suspension was up.

Yep, if he'd hit even remotely well and kept his mouth shut the Cubs would have hung the mission accomplished banner and deflected any questions about his character, and he would have gone on to get a nice contract in FA. To MLB teams his sin wasn't being an abuser, his sin was being an abuser who also hit like poo poo and made a bunch of mental errors on the field then threw a tantrum when he got benched over it. Hell it wouldn't shock me if we see him back in MLB at some point: he's spent the last two years tearing up the Mexican leagues is still just 28; feels like at some point a cheapskate team is gonna roll the dice on a league minimum deal.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

the Cubs would have hung the mission accomplished banner

how dare you

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

how dare you

yeah they did that on april 10 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

wtf is a Bligh Madris

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1610361540556750850

lmao I thought this loser was going to get a minor league deal, or at best the league minimum. What the hell do teams still see in Dom Smith? He loving sucks and couldn't stay healthy even if you encased him in carbonite between games.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kirios posted:

wtf is a Bligh Madris

The first Palauan to homer in the big leagues

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Madris is generically competent but was always a fringey prospect. However I am interested that the Astros are…interested.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1610361540556750850

lmao I thought this loser was going to get a minor league deal, or at best the league minimum. What the hell do teams still see in Dom Smith? He loving sucks and couldn't stay healthy even if you encased him in carbonite between games.

Eric Hosmer was a free agent for less than two weeks before the Cubs signed him. At least the Nats are tanking.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I think Dom Smith will rake with consistent every day playing time.

But I've been wrong before.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

GalacticAcid posted:

Madris is generically competent but was always a fringey prospect. However I am interested that the Astros are…interested.

Well the Astros don't have a GM right now and it's Crane pulling the strings with Bagwell whispering "analytics are for nerds" in his ear so

Goodrum 2.0 until proven otherwise

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Someone please tell Bagwell there’s a Metallica concert out of state or some poo poo and get him far far away from roster decision-making

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

davecrazy posted:

I think Dom Smith will rake with consistent every day playing time.

But I've been wrong before.

It's a low risk move for the Nats, they aren't competing and yes he's not been good recently but he has shown he can be. I'd be fine with him on the Cubs even.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
News:
https://twitter.com/Sean_McAdam/status/1610393250677886977?t=wgn1IOtCA8pZ4fJlstGX0w&s=19

Views: lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm calling it now, the Cubs won the offseason if this goes through

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1610402230594674690?s=20&t=ek3GkJsg2l5hgSslAAZ4HQ

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Not who I wanted them to sign there but hopefully Mervis owns and he's superfluous. A whole lot of, well this guy was good 5 years ago guys on the Cubs.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

Not who I wanted them to sign there but hopefully Mervis owns and he's superfluous. A whole lot of, well this guy was good 5 years ago guys on the Cubs.

you know who else was good 5 years ago

that's right,
Ednel 'Javier' Baez

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Intruder posted:

Well the Astros don't have a GM right now and it's Crane pulling the strings with Bagwell whispering "analytics are for nerds" in his ear so

Goodrum 2.0 until proven otherwise

Yeah I just realized my post is a little misleading. I meant generically competent as an upper level minor leaguer. I think “occasionally useful depth” is the likely outcome

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

lmao, just what a rebuilding club needs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

loving shoot me.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Sign the big free agent shortstop whose defensive numbers prop up his value, then sign a first baseman who regularly steps into foul territory to catch throws.

It really can't be overstated how bad Hosmer is defensively. He is going to drive Cubs fans crazy.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 4, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's not even just that Hosmer is bad, but that Ross is absolutely gonna constantly play him over Mervis even though Hosmer's OPS'ing in the mid-.600's.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Astros don't have a GM nor do they have a TV team:

https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1609726575267938304

(I don't like TK very much but he's fine, I much prefer their main radio guy Robert Ford)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm not really a Hosmer fan but the Cubs have nobody at 1st and they're getting him for peanuts so :shrug: Mervis had a breakout year in from A+ to AAA so I hope he gets called up soon but I also am fine with the Cubs not immediatly thrusting him into the every day roll. Let him DH some so his bat is consistently in the lineup.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I have a hard time getting worked up over Cashman giving a no show FO job to his buddy. I'm more worried that they have done jack poo poo to improve the lineup.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

(I don't like TK very much but he's fine, I much prefer their main radio guy Robert Ford)

I like these guys and Julia Morales a lot, I hope they get a good deal. Though Blummer has much to answer for.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

No Safe Word posted:

TK’s a good PBP guy, it’s Blum I can’t stand. He’s so loving dumb and every single anecdote of his mediocre career has been told ten times over. Get Julia up in the box and let Blum run around the stands.

Or just replace Blum with Bagwell outright. Maybe give Baggie some coffee or Ritalin beforehand though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Baggy is terrible in the booth, just awful

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

I'm not really a Hosmer fan but the Cubs have nobody at 1st and they're getting him for peanuts so :shrug: Mervis had a breakout year in from A+ to AAA so I hope he gets called up soon but I also am fine with the Cubs not immediatly thrusting him into the every day roll. Let him DH some so his bat is consistently in the lineup.

I think he was signed more because of his wife but maybe they're banking on guys like Hosmer improving now that the shift is banned.

It just comes across as another cheap move when you could have signed Abreu instead to fill that role. Big market team like the Cubs should not be bargain shopping for starters.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

Baggy is terrible in the booth, just awful

He’s not that bad. At least his anecdotes are new, and he does have occasional unique insights. His ability to call likely pitches is great.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Last good color guy either Astros broadcast team has had was Deshaies and I miss him very much :mad:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Color guys are tough because they’re either boring or obnoxious. There’s very few right in the sweet spot.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

Last good color guy either Astros broadcast team has had was Deshaies and I miss him very much :mad:

Deshaies is great and it's sad that the Cubs seem to be forcing him out for one of the Ricketts chud buddies.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

No Safe Word posted:

Deshaies is great, I love having him on the Cubs broadcast.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

Deshaies is great, I love having him on the Cubs broadcast.

Shame they keep three man boothing him and really just limiting him all together. He's got the perfect vibe to counteract the garbage on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
e: nvm