Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

Buffing his body doesnt work because unconditional 1/3s dont exist and flying from hand is legitimately too good even with his current stats. He's honestly a fair card in his current form and you can even use him in cerebro 2 lockjaw, cards that fly out of your deck onto the board should be turbo niche.

Make him also trigger if he's destroyed from deck via Lamentis or Yondu IMO. Doesn't really push the power level it's just an added fun layer of M'Baku ambush flavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Coq au Nandos posted:

Related: what is the counter to this bullshit? Enchantress/Sandman?

If you want to live in a world of pure Zabu hate I think Sandman is probably the way to go. Bonus points if you can Psylocke it out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

goferchan posted:

I think there's probably a way to make it work with ZBu, too -- Dracula, Enchantress, Attuma, and Typhoid Mary all being 4-cost is tempting

Makes it less consistent and more swingy because if you don't get zabu you'll never dump your hand. Upper bounds are definitely higher though when it hits.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Devo posted:

If you want to live in a world of pure Zabu hate I think Sandman is probably the way to go. Bonus points if you can Psylocke it out.

I think it's negative points if you can't. They spend their turn 4 vomiting power, you gained 1

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Psylocke into Sandman is almost even worse because you spent 2 turns and 6 energy for 2 power and to stop their later plays, but they still dropped 2 power with zabu and probably 2 more 4 costs before it affects them.

The best tech answer is Rogue IMO.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 3, 2023

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

No Wave posted:

That's extremely extremely broken...

Yeah now that I read it that's far more busted than I thought it was...

Still, wish he was a good card.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I feel like the only way M'Baku is gonna be a good card is if there's ever some kind of reshuffle archetype; basically like discard, but you keep shoving cards back into your deck.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I realize the meta is literally just settling, but Zabu feels really gross. At least unlike Surfer he's marginally worse after turn 3 but not by a lot

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Studio posted:

I think it's negative points if you can't. They spend their turn 4 vomiting power, you gained 1

This is why I think Rogue and Enchantress are bad options also. If they stick the Zabu you're already behind. From a pure hate perspective I think Sandman is the best option, but I'm more of the opinion that you should just try to beat them out on board instead of countering their plays.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
re: Zabu chat: Maybe a deck with a Hood/Viper/Debrii/Absorbing Man/Goblins/Hazmat/Luke Cage/Odin thing going on to choke their board?

.... tangentially related, has anyone tried playing Absorbing Man after a Green/Hobgoblin? Does he leap to the other side of the board?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think Rogue is on a different level from the others because you can use the effect yourself and there are a number of other matchups she instawins. You still need to drag her around in the bad matchups but some decks can handle that.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

You can also run Super Skrull and that way you also get Sera when she drops on 5.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

RevKrule posted:

Leader probably. Galactus definitely (since Bode already said it was on a watch list and not the kind the government keeps).

The double spider-man T5 is such a disgusting combo. As long as you're relatively ahead before the T5 reveal, you're almost guaranteed 2 cubes if you snap. Most people will retreat, some people will try and make something happen.

I have no idea why they would nerf Galactus honestly. Sure he's good, but only up to a point. Also he very rarely wins big because people just retreat on 5.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lmao Mindscape triggered on turn 6 of a won game and look at what Agatha does. I have the Giganto in my hand taunting me and everything

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I can't for the life of me figure out why the Agatha card is a thing. Any time I pull one out from one of the random location card draws it fucks everything up.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Push El Burrito posted:

I didn't know that thumbs up was sarcastic. I genuinely did it when someone made a good play and won.

I wonder how many people I upset.

I almost always give a thumbs up and usually a fist bump in every match. Sometimes I'll use Spiderman too, but that's about it.

Bottom Liner posted:

My first pool 4 card after ~500 levels into the 1000s was loving Mbaku because of course.

This is why I'm not going to upgrade unless a core mission requires it. Getting the rare card now that I'm above 500 just feels bad. I'm just going to upgrade everything at the end of the season.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Walla posted:

I almost always give a thumbs up and usually a fist bump in every match. Sometimes I'll use Spiderman too, but that's about it.

This is why I'm not going to upgrade unless a core mission requires it. Getting the rare card now that I'm above 500 just feels bad. I'm just going to upgrade everything at the end of the season.

So you're playing the whole season without new cards? That sounds way worse.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out why the Agatha card is a thing. Any time I pull one out from one of the random location card draws it fucks everything up.

There are a few lists with her that hit infinite. They mostly revolve around using Wave to play her on 5 and then another big 6 to lock down another location.

\/ if she automated the end turn and everything that would rule.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s autobattle mode for your dailies. If not for Agatha I’d probably have quit by now.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s almost as if you need a deck built specifically around her to capitalize on it.

Weird.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Bottom Liner posted:

So you're playing the whole season without new cards? That sounds way worse.

The season is young. I might change my mind.

At the least, I'm going to wait until I hit the next reserve at a minimum. No point upgrading for boosters or credits.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out why the Agatha card is a thing.

Just gonna bring this back...

Quackles posted:

Who keeps mes-sing up all my plays? 🎶
It was Agatha all along!
Who keeps losing cubes for days and days? 🎵
It was Agatha all along!

She siiiits in your hand!
And plays on demand!
(But not at your command -
you do understand?)
Under, under, under, under

It's too late to win everything
now that everyone just plays Wong
But it's Agatha
It's still Agatha
Yup, it's Agatha all alooooong! 🎶

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Hadn't gotten any holiday cards and then just got two in a row. Maw and the Rock guy

:negative:

All I want is rogue

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Walla posted:

No point upgrading for boosters or credits.

right, but you get a new card 1 in 2 boxes as well (1 in 4 post 1000). You'll also hit the gem limit of 10k I think.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

My tinfoil assumption is that she (and Ego) are obviously terrible AI players ... to distract you from the very passable AI players you encounter when the player queue is empty. There's no way you encounter so many available players at all hours.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Walla posted:

The season is young. I might change my mind.

At the least, I'm going to wait until I hit the next reserve at a minimum. No point upgrading for boosters or credits.

After a certain point (i forget what CL) you'll start deterministically getting 1 new card every 4 reserves, and in place of boosters you'll start getting collector's tokens which lets you buy cards from a rotating shop. I believe you'll also get 1000 tokens (enough for a new series 3 card) when you hit that point

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Devo posted:

This is why I think Rogue and Enchantress are bad options also. If they stick the Zabu you're already behind. From a pure hate perspective I think Sandman is the best option, but I'm more of the opinion that you should just try to beat them out on board instead of countering their plays.

Well hopefully they would have some cards in hand that they were hoping to drop for a big T6 that now they can't (like Enchantress and Shang Chi to swing a few locations). But this brings to mind another issue with Zabu, since he's only 3 cost it's hard to see him coming. If someone's setting up a Sera and/or Surfer deck you see it coming and can prep to Leech or Cosmo or whatever. Zabu is out early and I don't think the early game looks much different from other greedy decks

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

goferchan posted:

After a certain point (i forget what CL) you'll start deterministically getting 1 new card every 4 reserves, and in place of boosters you'll start getting collector's tokens which lets you buy cards from a rotating shop. I believe you'll also get 1000 tokens (enough for a new series 3 card) when you hit that point

Every 4? Makes sense. I already spent 1,000 tokens buying Ghost Rider. I don't have a deck for him yet but I will.

In other news, a Pool 1 Spectrum deck with the addition of Sandman and Zabu forces a lot of retreats.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Walla posted:

Every 4? Makes sense. I already spent 1,000 tokens buying Ghost Rider. I don't have a deck for him yet but I will.

In other news, a Pool 1 Spectrum deck with the addition of Sandman and Zabu forces a lot of retreats.

Yeah it's not literally steadily "every 4" but you can imagine them in sets of 4, and one in each set is an avatar/title/variant, one is gold/credits, one is collector's tokens, and one is a new card. The order can be shuffled around for each set. When you're at that point they never give boosters anymore. Once you have all the Series 3 cards you no longer are guaranteed new cards, but in their place you'll get extra tokens.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 4, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Walla posted:

There are five Series 3 cards that you should buy if given the opportunity: Aero, Sera, Leader, Magneto and Death. If you have all five of those then buy a card every time you have 1000 tokens to speed up how fast you start getting 400 from Reserves, but otherwise hold out.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

goferchan posted:

And once you get all the Pool 3 cards, if it's a card pull and not a card (as in you weren't lucky enough for the Pool 4/5 chances), you get 400 tokens instead.

Edit:

Jedit posted:

There are five Series 3 cards that you should buy if given the opportunity: Aero, Sera, Leader, Magneto and Death. If you have all five of those then buy a card every time you have 1000 tokens to speed up how fast you start getting 400 from Reserves, but otherwise hold out.
I would also consider Daredevil in this list.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I made the mistake of buying Super Skrull when the token shop first opened with all 6000 of my credits.

But he does a lot of work in a Negative Zabu deck. Rogue steals Zabu’s power? Skrull gets to copy it back. Oh and now I can use your Sera power too.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Jedit posted:

Magneto was the second card I pulled. He's complete bullshit but I haven't made a deck with him yet.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I’ve never played Poker. I wonder if someone snapping turn 1 elicits the same emotional response as someone going all in on the first hand.

I don’t lose eight cubes often but when I do it’s because of the aforementioned scenario.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Walla posted:

Magneto was the second card I pulled. He's complete bullshit but I haven't made a deck with him yet.

He's just a good general curve-topper that doesn't need too much synergy. If Hulk is the "baseline" power for a 6-drop, you can consider Magneto's effect costed as if it's "neutral" but in reality anything that moves your opponents' cards around is probably good just because you can plan for it and they can't

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What is the priority for cards magneto picks to move? Is it just random?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

It's incredibly satisfying to retreat from an opponent because you got none of the cards you needed re-matched with them and get a starting hand that's EXACTLY what you need to absolutely win.

Running some Zabu and got none of my hitters by turn 4 (no Zabu, no Spidey, No Sera) and my "best" in hand card was Rescue by turn 4. No way to even compete so I retreat. Rematched with the same opponent. My opening hand was Zabu, Spidey, Moon Girl. I waited until after the third location revealed and was the one that gives you +5 energy and they actually snapped first. Bet they thought they were hot poo poo being able to drop both Green Goblin and Hobgoblin on Turn 3. Wiped that smile off their face when their daredevil saw 2 Spideys blocking the only two competitive lanes. Easiest 4 cubes all day.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

JackDarko posted:

I’ve never played Poker. I wonder if someone snapping turn 1 elicits the same emotional response as someone going all in on the first hand.

I don’t lose eight cubes often but when I do it’s because of the aforementioned scenario.

Not really because every game of snap happens in a vacuum. It's kind of the best and worst part of the game, because retreating early and often is the correct way to climb the ranks but it's not strategic or rewarding in the way that poker is. Bluffing isn't much of a thing either, since most of your retreats come from very assured counters/locations/bad draws or just flat out losing the math.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/bbrode/status/1610447407879426049

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007

Kerrek posted:

My tinfoil assumption is that she (and Ego) are obviously terrible AI players ... to distract you from the very passable AI players you encounter when the player queue is empty. There's no way you encounter so many available players at all hours.

This is a legit theory. It’s smoke and mirrors all the way down. In essence, the invisible hand of Second Dinner manipulates the rate of cube accumulation by either flooding the ladder with or limiting the number of bot encounters. This is an entirely new level of control for a card game developer.

Marvel Snap is an op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

priznat posted:

What is the priority for cards magneto picks to move? Is it just random?

I think it's in order they were originally played. Polaris picks a random 1-or-2-cost though as her card says .