Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

did you guys just not grow up watching Looney Tunes or what

No. Growing up in Japan, Looney Tunes and poo poo, while famous, just didn’t have the market penetration to be on regular rotation in the rando household.

I got Doraemon, Dragon Ball Z and reruns of Fist of the North Star instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Looney Tunes was still regularly being shown on TV in the late 90s when I was a kid. Probably the early 00s, not sure when I aged out of watching Cartoon Network.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Looney Tunes were still being shown every Saturday morning on ABC up until 2000 when they became exclusive to Cartoon Network. This intro is burned into my brain, and I expect the My Buddy/Kid Sister commercial to follow it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-t8PngHgWY

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Sampsons

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Empty Sandwich posted:

I did and I legit can't stand them. Even as a kid I hated alot of them. But I was home alot when I was little, and probably saw reruns more than most people. Nicktoons were a godsend compared to that when they started to heavily replace looney tunes.

To be on topic. I was in one of the areas that surprisingly didn't have Simpson reruns during the week. I had to wait until Sunday to see any episodes.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Empty Sandwich posted:

well it was good on looney tunes!!

it could just be something I'm completely misremembering but I think older looney tunes used a wider range of sounds and instruments. The animaniacs/tiny toons sound palette is a lot more xylophoney and muted horn sections going waaaaaaaaaaaaa (not the trombone wah-wah you're thinking of)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
CN used to use Looney Tunes for latenight/graveyard hour filler.

but then adultswim and anime happened.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxxqg0XHxTw

This is mostly about Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon but the beginning does go into the rights of the cartoons and why they were on networks big and small throughout the decades.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PhazonLink posted:

CN used to use Looney Tunes for latenight/graveyard hour filler.

but then adultswim and anime happened.

I still miss that era, when any time of night you could decide you wanted cartoons and you'd turn on Cartoon Network. Maybe it's Scooby-Doo, maybe it's Popeye, maybe it's the O Canada block, maybe it's Flintstones or Josie and the Pussycats, maybe it's something they've gathered together from the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies vault and packaged up in a theme around Chuck Jones or Tex Avery. But it was always just there, like electricity, a comforting light switch you could turn on at any time.

Then it all ended up on Boomerang I guess

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I still miss that era, when any time of night you could decide you wanted cartoons and you'd turn on Cartoon Network. Maybe it's Scooby-Doo, maybe it's Popeye, maybe it's the O Canada block, maybe it's Flintstones or Josie and the Pussycats, maybe it's something they've gathered together from the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies vault and packaged up in a theme around Chuck Jones or Tex Avery. But it was always just there, like electricity, a comforting light switch you could turn on at any time.

Then it all ended up on Boomerang I guess

I haven't watched it in probably a decade, but I feel like even Boomerang started transitioning more to the old Hannah Barbera stuff over Looney Tunes and Popeye, which sucked because it's mostly a lot worse. I respect Hannah Barbera for largely carrying the torch for TV animation for a good stretch, but I don't think there's much reason to watch The Great Grape Ape or whatever in the 21st century unless you're just the right age to actually be nostalgic for it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Boomerang also has network/niche decay and just has stuff from *shuffles papers* last year or literally stuff from now.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Sempsons

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What I want to know is, what is Rocky and Bullwinkle's place in the modern landscape?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And now I've got the Tom and Jerry Kids theme stuck in my head, kill me.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And now I've got the Tom and Jerry Kids theme stuck in my head, kill me.

Aaaaagh, I know this drat song by heart because I always turned it when I saw it.
I'm sure many exist, but this is presently the lowest effort theme song I can think of. Like the songwriter was told, "We don't really have the direction nailed down yet so keep it vague."

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Conversely, I've always liked the Tom&Jerry theme - it's short and to the point, but has enough of an actual melodic theme. And I just like the big band sound, I guess.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

well how much effort would you put into it if you were assigned something called "Tom and Jerry Kids"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
it's the Tom and Jerry Kids NEW show!"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I prefer it when the theme song goes unreasonably hard, like

YeahTubaMike posted:

Speaking of catchy theme songs in cartoons that I liked but currently remember none of because I was single-digit-aged when they went off, Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice. BEETLEJUUUUICE! :stare:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Man, Simpsons so bad people go all talkin bout other poo poo cartoons cos they sick of talkin bout how poo poo Simpsons is...

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Empty Sandwich posted:

They were still being rerun in the 90s. The original theatricals were great and still hold up, but even as a 9-year old I remember realizing that the ones made in the late 60s and 70s were garbage

Data Graham posted:

It's like how you only remember the good SNL sketches. 80% of them were dire

(and even the good ones, more often than not "the one joke" just happened to hit right)

People fondly remember that Night at the Roxbury sketch, they don't remember the other 6 they did without Jim Carrey and no new jokes to add.

Will Ferrell was kinda funny in that cheerleader sketch, so they did 12 of them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

je1 healthcare posted:

They were still being rerun in the 90s. The original theatricals were great and still hold up, but even as a 9-year old I remember realizing that the ones made in the late 60s and 70s were garbage

It's not lost on kids when things are made cheaply. I remember being annoyed at how choppy and shoddy the animation was in every 80s Transformers episode even as I obsessed over whatever was going on.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Data Graham posted:

It's not lost on kids when things are made cheaply. I remember being annoyed at how choppy and shoddy the animation was in every 80s Transformers episode even as I obsessed over whatever was going on.

100%! I have very distinct memories of disappointment from being 4 years old and seeing the start of the next Tom and Jerry short was one of those ugly ones. (Reooowr! Fft! Fft!) Also being absolutely mesmerized by the multiplane camera shots in early Popeye despite having no clue what was going on. I didn't understand the whys, but even to a toddler the theatrical shorts were the "good" ones.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Meanwhile I grew up watching anime where I was mesmerized by 3 frames played on a loop for 10 minutes while people prattled on about power levels.

Tom and Jerry kicked rear end though. I watched so much of that growing up. I reckon I've got a huge nostalgia cache built up there just waiting to be broken open.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Meanwhile I grew up watching anime where I was mesmerized by 3 frames played on a loop for 10 minutes while people prattled on about power levels.

It's always interesting seeing just how much emphasis is put on this compared to the original source material. The original comic was being published maybe 2 weeks ahead of whatever the hell happened in the latest episode, so I guess it was a convenient way to pad out the run-time, in a Garth Marenghi way.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Das Boo posted:

100%! I have very distinct memories of disappointment from being 4 years old and seeing the start of the next Tom and Jerry short was one of those ugly ones. (Reooowr! Fft! Fft!) Also being absolutely mesmerized by the multiplane camera shots in early Popeye despite having no clue what was going on. I didn't understand the whys, but even to a toddler the theatrical shorts were the "good" ones.

Those were definitely a lower tier of episodes, but there was an era of Tom and Jerry that was so lovely Cartoon Network almost never aired it. I think they were made in Czechoslovakia in the 60s or something. I vaguely remember a fishing trip one and an ancient Greece one. They made the Reoowr Ft Ft ones look like a golden age. They actually had some of the most interesting T&J scenarios, but they must have had a shoestring budget because the quality just wasn't there.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Das Boo posted:

Sort of had the same.
I hated the animation style where you could tell when the next bit of body was going to move or do something as it was a bit brighter than everything else.
This really made me hate on Scooby Doo for a long while. There were just certain ones where it was very obvious.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

happyhippy posted:

Sort of had the same.
I hated the animation style where you could tell when the next bit of body was going to move or do something as it was a bit brighter than everything else.
This really made me hate on Scooby Doo for a long while. There were just certain ones where it was very obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6xPGDkWNHo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Moon Monster posted:

Those were definitely a lower tier of episodes, but there was an era of Tom and Jerry that was so lovely Cartoon Network almost never aired it. I think they were made in Czechoslovakia in the 60s or something. I vaguely remember a fishing trip one and an ancient Greece one. They made the Reoowr Ft Ft ones look like a golden age. They actually had some of the most interesting T&J scenarios, but they must have had a shoestring budget because the quality just wasn't there.

Hell yeah Gene Deitch T&J, they're so hilariously terrible. Deitch had hardly seen any T&J and had no idea what it was about, and of course the Czech team hadn't either, so they all just kind of winged it. And they sound like they were recorded inside a garbage can

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_Jerry#Gene_Deitch_era_(1961%E2%80%931962)

The "fft fft" ones were by Chuck Jones though, those own

e: though I could never figure out what the "fft fft" noise was supposed to even be. Cats apparently spit all the time in cartoons, and growing up in a house with cats I was completely confused at the idea because literally what the gently caress, cats do not spit, the hell are you talking about.

I thought the "fft" noise was from Tom butting his head against the top of the O of his name and crushing the fur on his his head like wrapping paper or something

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 5, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

happyhippy posted:

Sort of had the same.

This always ruled when even Disney features would have it happen in their cheap xerography era. My brother and I would be like, "Oh I wonder which of those rocks is about to break loose from the background and fall on them"

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Sort of had the same.

Scooby Doo was the worst one for it too because the whole show was about people popping out of cupboards but you can tell which one they're coming out of the second the scene starts!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Whenever this intro right here started while you were enjoying cartoons, it foretold what follows is going to be a lovely cartoon when you realize the same studio did "What's Opera, Doc?" only a decade prior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIllukZI9WM

That era of Looney Tunes also introduced new forgettable characters like Cool Cat, the Poochie-est Poochie character ever created.

Some pushy dopes in 1967: "Kids like [literal] 'hep' cats that talk in beatnik slang, right?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hahah. How depressing it must have been to work at WB, to have been an animator on the golden age stuff in the 40s and 50s, and to be passed down an edict to "just copy these animals with ties and hats and dangly arms like Hanna-Barbera is doing, they're the future :effort:"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They call that the Dark Age of Animation for a reason.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Computer viking posted:

Conversely, I've always liked the Tom&Jerry theme - it's short and to the point, but has enough of an actual melodic theme. And I just like the big band sound, I guess.

Me too! I liked the Pup Named Scooby Doo one too. Also Muppet Babies.

So many kid versions of preexisting shows back then -- I wonder what that was all about.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YeahTubaMike posted:

Me too! I liked the Pup Named Scooby Doo one too. Also Muppet Babies.

So many kid versions of preexisting shows back then -- I wonder what that was all about.

Toy sales.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always assumed it was "we own all these legacy properties, but kids don't relate to adult characters, they need to relate to kids" *puffing on corporate pipe*

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

je1 healthcare posted:

yeah, the later ones were much worse. not as bad in some ways as contemporary H-B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoSVnc-7eTk

je1 healthcare posted:

People fondly remember that Night at the Roxbury sketch, they don't remember the other 6 they did without Jim Carrey and no new jokes to add.

I've got bad news for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Night_at_the_Roxbury

Data Graham posted:

I remember making fun of really weird mistakes in the GI-Joe cartoon, which now looks lush in comparison.

Das Boo posted:

100%! I have very distinct memories of disappointment from being 4 years old and seeing the start of the next Tom and Jerry short was one of those ugly ones. (Reooowr! Fft! Fft!)

exactly same. that was basically the only cartoon on weekdays when I was that age.

happyhippy posted:

Sort of had the same.

I hated this so much. it's still almost shocking to see colors matched in cheap animation these days.

in conclusion,

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Man, Simpsons so bad

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Let's do Doug next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I think there was already a massive Doug derail in this thread, but even if I'm correct that shouldn't stop anybody