Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:greencube:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Few things in this game are as frustrating as when you're on Ogryn and have two vets in your squad and neither of them are capable of taking out snipers. Or they're capable, but they don't feel like sniper watch is their responsibility or anything. It's evened out by getting to watch them one by one try to crowd control while the Sniper picks them off.

Ogryn is often the most frustrating class to play with randos because it feels the most reliant on your team. Great if they're capable but awful if you need to solo carry situations you aren't made for. It feels so incredibly terrible to come across a giant, open room of 40 shooters, realize there's nothing meaningful you can do without getting lit up, spend the next 3 minutes protecting your veterans from behind cover, and in that time the room has somehow only gone from 40 shooters to 35, with 3 of those deaths being from grenades you've lobbed. Meanwhile you know you could wipe them all out in 30 seconds as a vet and could at least do decent work as a psyker/zealot.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Vargs posted:

Ogryn is often the most frustrating class to play with randos because it feels the most reliant on your team. Great if they're capable but awful if you need to solo carry situations you aren't made for. It feels so incredibly terrible to come across a giant, open room of 40 shooters, realize there's nothing meaningful you can do without getting lit up, spend the next 3 minutes protecting your veterans from behind cover, and in that time the room has somehow only gone from 40 shooters to 35, with 3 of those deaths being from grenades you've lobbed. Meanwhile you know you could wipe them all out in 30 seconds as a vet and could at least do decent work as a psyker/zealot.

This made me think that an Ogryn career ability that let them set up something defensive, taunt, and actually tank damage like they're clearly meant to be able to would be way more interesting than their current one--which isn't to say I don't like their current one as it's one of the only guaranteed ways to create breathing room, but having a class that could pull aggro of shooters and actually force attention would be such an impossibly useful tool

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sab Sabbington posted:

This made me think that an Ogryn career ability that let them set up something defensive, taunt, and actually tank damage like they're clearly meant to be able to would be way more interesting than their current one--which isn't to say I don't like their current one as it's one of the only guaranteed ways to create breathing room, but having a class that could pull aggro of shooters and actually force attention would be such an impossibly useful tool

ogrynbreaker

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I'm pretty sure I've countersniped more snipers with my bolter as Zealot than most Veterans I've played with.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Posting to say that somehow the MK6 Ripper has overtaken every other Ogryn gun as my pubbie ranged weapon of choice. It's funny; it's just so much snappier to use than even the Rumbler that despite it being inferior against the Stubber for horde clear and DPS, and technically being inferior against the Rumbler for potential damage per shot and ability to kill elites/specials as long as I can do a headshot, it having a generous reserve of ammo and being able to do knockdowns/staggers well at surprising ranges means I've been able to rely on it for pub matches to an astounding degree.

It can't even reliably kill dogs, though TBF I think that's mainly because dogs are the only enemy in this game I consider to be straight up broken in terms of feel and bugs. Love to stagger a dog at mid-range with a shot that doesn't even feel like it scattered well, and in the same match fail to even flinch another with a clean up-close meatshot

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I hope whoever had the idea "The ogryn's grenade should be a box of grenades that he throws because he doesn't know you're supposed to pull the pin on grenades before you throw them" got a pay raise

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Got 3 of the 4 classes to 30. Unfortunately I simply don't have the energy to grind for gear for them, or level a Zealot.

Here's to hoping updates come quick.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mendrian posted:

Okay the bug where that revolver blessing that gives you crit for missing chambers applying to melee is clearly unintentional but it rips on Zealot dagger. I'm actually getting use out of that cool down on crit feat.

It's not just revolvers, it's on autoguns, too. And they have larger magazines, so the crit bonus is high (in theory, it is Fatshark after all.) I've played a good 40-50 matches with my Zealot and an empty autogun and my crit rate has to be around 75%. Antax axe with Brutal Momentum, which turns it into a good horde clearer, plus its normal versatility... I was thinking about doing a report-back here and got lazy. I am able to clear Damnation with it and I've never felt like I was a detriment to the team. There's some problems that need a little more time to solve or need creative problem solving, which is a mark against it, but it makes up for it in the number of times I have absolutely wrecked poo poo or clutched for the team. I like it and will continue this setup. The dagger/tactical axe combo was just way too many clicks, I was exhausted any time I had to dig deep.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

I hope whoever had the idea "The ogryn's grenade should be a box of grenades that he throws because he doesn't know you're supposed to pull the pin on grenades before you throw them" got a pay raise

It's also great that it's like the single hardest hitting attack in the game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Khizan posted:

It is both the best and coolest thing in the game

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Late to the party, but I tried the braced autogun + chastise the wicked combo to melt crushers with my zealot and LMAO. Enjoy it while it lasts, that ability is gonna get nerfed for sure.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Khizan posted:

Candygram for Mongo! :greatgift:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Sab Sabbington posted:

this is called "suppression" and the twin-linked heavy stubber is loving incredible at it

granted it only works against scabs because dregs are an unfinished faction but, y'know, the idea is there

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Kith posted:

this is called "suppression" and the twin-linked heavy stubber is loving incredible at it

granted it only works against scabs because dregs are an unfinished faction but, y'know, the idea is there

Nah I think Dreg shooters being resistant to suppression is intended. Scab shooters are easily suppressible but they're also significantly more aggressive when attacking, firing more often and walking while shooting. Dreg shooters mostly just stand still and fire their guns less often.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Didn't Fatshark confirm that dregs are working as intended with regards to suppression? They're supposed to be fanatics.

e: beaten

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It was "confirmed" but I have my doubts as to the intention

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The darktide reddit is the worst place on earth:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

AndyElusive posted:

Few things in this game are as frustrating as when you're on Ogryn and have two vets in your squad and neither of them are capable of taking out snipers. Or they're capable, but they don't feel like sniper watch is their responsibility or anything. It's evened out by getting to watch them one by one try to crowd control while the Sniper picks them off.

This is actually why i insist on vets running that grenade chance on elite kill perk. I never ran out of nades when playing with my vet friend who had it and on heresy+ there's so many elites.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jerkface posted:

Humans defeat genestealers all the time, theyre deadly but so is my reject.

on the tabletop, statistically an ogryn beats a chaos space marine in close combat 80% of the time and our squad can have 4 of them

The 40k novel Cult of the Spiral Dawn (which is about a genestealer cult) has a bit I love where a purestrain genestealer is trying to assassinate the commander of the local imperial guard but gets grabbed and unceremoniously smashed by the commanders ogryn bodyguarda.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

dogstile posted:

This is actually why i insist on vets running that grenade chance on elite kill perk. I never ran out of nades when playing with my vet friend who had it and on heresy+ there's so many elites.

Truth. Powersword is just a backup for the carpet of HE nades that comes with every horde, and by the time the stuff that's worth actually shooting all gets killed you have those nades back.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So I noticed something today - Braced weapons, like the braced autoguns or the ogryn machine gun, have significantly reduced recoil and increased accuracy if shot while both (1) braced and (2) walking forward. I think this explains why e.g. earlier in the thread I was in awe of the braced autogun on my zealot but people playing veterans weren't feeling it, and also why those weapons tend to feel worse to me in the meat grinder.

When using one of these guns if you brace and walk forward while shooting, your first 1-3 shots in each burst have near-perfect accuracy and almost no recoil. As long as you just use quick clicks to shoot in short bursts you can literally just snipe everything - since these guns tend to have higher damage at the expense of accuracy/recoil, they can kill most things in 2-3 bullets, and nothing short of crushers can stand up to any of them (the ogryn gun even wrecks crushers - not by piercing armor but by doing hella stagger damage).

But if you try to shoot them while standing still, even if you brace, absurd recoil sends you off-target on the very first shot.

Crouching seems to give a similar benefit to moving forward, but I don't think it's as strong as moving is (and maybe they stack?).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Should I rush to finish my weeklies for this lasgun? Stats aren't as good as the one I have but could be a lot worse, but it has decent perks and I think Opening Salvo is good on it. Efficiency is sort of "Whatever" but it is at least max level, which might mean it can go to something better when they let me reroll it. On the one I have reload and Stamina are probably good perks (stamina for Deadshot) Headhunter is decent but I suspect better on the rapid firing versions, but I don't know about Falter, I think it just makes my next shot miss a lot.

Possibly I should just hold out for a better statline.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

S.J. posted:

Turning a corner and having a sniper instantly fire with no set up time is extremely disconcerting

and hitting you through walls/objects.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Possibly I should just hold out for a better statline.

That's not an MK12 worth the weekly, IMO. The worst blessing for it plus one unoptimal one, and only Opening Salvo is decent. You have a lot of ammo with a MK12 even on a below-average roll that you'll generally struggle to even spend in most combat encounters; I don't think it's worth scrabbling for.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The MK12 on the right is way better. Save your melk money.

e: upon further consideration, it's more of a sidegrade.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 4, 2023

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Re-roll the stamina perk into flak or unyielding and the one on the right is a great weapon

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://imgur.com/wgiuTi4

Gottem.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

When do we get a mod to accompany the Poxhound Space Program with the Ducktales moon theme

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
I love those stupid dogs so much :allears:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I did something similar with an eviscerator swing the other day, but it turns out that even if the physics glitch out and the dog shoots upward, if you've caught it with an active chainsword it will abruptly freeze 20 feet in the air while you cut it in half

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
minor gripe, when will they show the lore blurbs for weapons again? I miss those.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lore blurbs from my shows

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Pop Up Video: We love the 40,000s!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

Blorebo...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

why yes this is 40k

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

Look I don't have any interest in painting the little plastic dolls but I like how they look and I like telling stories about them. I would say that I waste brainpower on knowing this but I would never have accomplished anything anyway.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's a joke only the terminally online would get you're safe for now

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Benagain posted:

Look I don't have any interest in painting the little plastic dolls but I like how they look and I like telling stories about them. I would say that I waste brainpower on knowing this but I would never have accomplished anything anyway.

I was the same as you for the longest time, and then I got roped into a kill team group.

The hobby side of the game is actually pretty fun. It's an interesting way to express your creativity (from straight up "follow these instructions") to incredible amount of freewheeling expression with kitbashing and the like.

I didn't think it would be as... meditative(?) as it is, but now that I've got a few models to paint, I do enjoy it.

I absolutely acknowledge that the hobby side is very expensive to get into (as far as board games go), and takes up a bit of space with all the poo poo you need for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Improbable Lobster posted:

The 40k novel Cult of the Spiral Dawn (which is about a genestealer cult) has a bit I love where a purestrain genestealer is trying to assassinate the commander of the local imperial guard but gets grabbed and unceremoniously smashed by the commanders ogryn bodyguarda.

It's a good bit:

Spiral Dawn posted:

The armoured roof of its prey finally gave way and the Riven Hunter’s claw punched through to the cabin beneath. Gripping the torn metal, it ripped away a chunk of plating to create a fissure. Eager for slaughter, the beast squeezed its torso into the gap like a lizard. As it pressed forward slab-like hands seized it and heaved it inside. Surprised, the Purestrain struggled in their grip and whipped over onto its back.

‘Purge the unclean!’ someone shouted.

The Hunter saw the glint of silver eyes from somewhere up front. Then the hulking brutes crammed into the cabin were upon it, cudgelling its carapace with crackling mauls that sent waves of pain through its body. There were four of them, all clad in white armour and open-faced helmets. Though their blunt features were contorted with rage they attacked in absolute silence.

Trapped between the savages, the Riven Hunter lashed out and writhed about to avoid their blows, but in its battle-wise heart it knew there could be no escape. After one-hundred-and-thirty years on Redemption and untold more adrift in the void between the stars, the ancient beast’s journey finally ended.

In short, genestealers are essentially roided-up xenomorphs: really fast, really deadly, and really fragile. They can rip a hole in a tank and blender it's occupants in short order, but scores of them will die to small arms fire if caught in the open. They'd fit right in Darktide.