Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Dewgy posted:

I love the remaster but kind of miss the Verizon commercials.

Should have kept Microsoft Sync on the car at the beginning to make it a permanent period piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

sebmojo posted:

James souls, creator of dark souls, was bitten a horrible dog once and hates them all beyond description

So relatable.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

karmicknight posted:

So relatable.

The same backstory actually plagues Carl O'Duty as well. It's a real tragedy.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So at the beginning of Control, Jesse makes a comment to the effect of "Life is like you're living in a cell with a poster on the wall, like that one prison movie. Oh God, what was the title?" so the developers don't get into copyright wrangling over mentioning the title of the movie.

In the epilogue/beginning of the post-game, she blurts out "The Shawshank Redemption! That was the title!" Well played, game, :golfclap: I lol'ed for real.

The whole game was great, except the battles with The Former.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Agents are GO! posted:

So at the beginning of Control, Jesse makes a comment to the effect of "Life is like you're living in a cell with a poster on the wall, like that one prison movie. Oh God, what was the title?" so the developers don't get into copyright wrangling over mentioning the title of the movie.

In the epilogue/beginning of the post-game, she blurts out "The Shawshank Redemption! That was the title!" Well played, game, :golfclap: I lol'ed for real.

It's also a neat, indirect gameplay hint, because there's a handful of breakable walls that have pictures hanging on them, so if you throw a rock (or something) at a picture on the wall like the warden in Shawshank Redemption did, well...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Agents are GO! posted:

Remedy only really knows how to create boss battles where you, on the floor, shoot at something up high which is lobbing explosives at you. There is precisely one flaw possible in expanding upon this idea and they really nailed it!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Paper Tiger posted:

It's also a neat, indirect gameplay hint, because there's a handful of breakable walls that have pictures hanging on them, so if you throw a rock (or something) at a picture on the wall like the warden in Shawshank Redemption did, well...

WHAT

no

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Better yet they are usually portraits of a broken concrete wall with something behind it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Do I have to play Control again? drat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One thing I'm sad Control never got was an NG+ mode, implausible as that would be.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Paper Tiger posted:

No loving way :aaaaa:

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath has a unique health system; you hold a button to "shake it off" and restore health by depleting your stamina bar which slowly refills over time. It's, well, odd but works really well when you get into the hang of it.

I also love the visual of it; the Stranger actually shakes himself, and any projectiles enemies have thrown at you like cleavers, knives or shrapnel get flung off. It's satisfying after a hard-fought boss battle to see everything get thrown off

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

One thing I'm sad Control never got was an NG+ mode, implausible as that would be.

NG+ would be exactly the same except every so often Jesse would say "wait, this seems familiar" to herself :v:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

arsenicCatnip posted:

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath has a unique health system; you hold a button to "shake it off" and restore health by depleting your stamina bar which slowly refills over time. It's, well, odd but works really well when you get into the hang of it.

I also love the visual of it; the Stranger actually shakes himself, and any projectiles enemies have thrown at you like cleavers, knives or shrapnel get flung off. It's satisfying after a hard-fought boss battle to see everything get thrown off
drat I loved Stranger's Wrath. Even outside the gameplay it was doing a bunch of stuff technically that felt like they valued a good user experience, the loading times were nice and short and that sounds like a weird thing to praise but few games cared about loading times back then and no games do now. The story really got me into it, and I loved the little town full of chickens and the way there was a button to have the stranger mutter to himself about what he should do next. I keep wanting to get it on steam but I've heard it's a shoddy port

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

2house2fly posted:

drat I loved Stranger's Wrath. Even outside the gameplay it was doing a bunch of stuff technically that felt like they valued a good user experience, the loading times were nice and short and that sounds like a weird thing to praise but few games cared about loading times back then and no games do now. The story really got me into it, and I loved the little town full of chickens and the way there was a button to have the stranger mutter to himself about what he should do next. I keep wanting to get it on steam but I've heard it's a shoddy port

I haven't played it on original hardware but so far there hasn't been anything truly experience ruining. I had a bug where the stranger got stuck in the ground but all it took was fiddling with some settings and it all went fine. (iirc you just set mipmap bias to 1.00 instead of it's default -1.00 and make sure vsync is on).

Will also second everything you said. I love the world of Oddworld and the way it handles typical gameplay elements so differently from other games is so cool. Talking to the cluckers and asking them where Scuzz was, and having none of them actually know but the way they talk about him subtly hint that he lives in the sewers was so smart.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad many many games are including even basic photo modes these days, because you can admire the love the developers put into their assets in such new ways. Need for Speed UNBOUND has these dudes called Bear Champ. They're all over the place and if you stop driving before smashing them to look around, each one tells a tiny story begging you to take pictures.

This one was too dangerous and had to be returned to his enclosure

Don't do it, champion bear!! You're still champ to me!

My neighbear Champion

Praising the sun with Solbaire

A very muggy day in Potemkin Chicago

Photo modes rule.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

photo modes rule, bear champ also rules.

Pretty sure his shorts are the chicago flag colors, as in the Chicago Bears, so I'm guessing its just a little sports reference. Maybe the studio is from Chicago?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Photo modes are great and I'm glad they're becoming more standard. I was really disappointed when God of War Ragnarok somehow came out without one, but it looks like they got it working in a December update so I'll be able to put as many inappropriately happy or scared faces on Kratos as I want next time I replay the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
omg I looked it up and he's real and yup, Bear Champ and its creator are Chicago graffiti-punk as all hell. Now his existence in the game is TWICE as neat!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

arsenicCatnip posted:

photo modes rule, bear champ also rules.

Pretty sure his shorts are the chicago flag colors, as in the Chicago Bears, so I'm guessing its just a little sports reference. Maybe the studio is from Chicago?

As soon as I saw it my brain filled in the Chicago angle

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Picked up Iron Harvest 1920s and it’s quite a fun Company of Heroes style game.

The voice acting is that perfect level of enthusiasm, terrible accents, and confusing writing that I love. If you’ve ever played Men of War you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.

One of my favorites is the Rusviet (Literally Russia) Heavy Trooper who has a line that says ‘With unlimited vigor’ but just like Chekhov they pronounce it as ‘With unlimited wigor’

For being from an indie developer the game actually looks quite nice and the mech designs are really cool. The Polania (Poland) light mech has a massive bolt action rifle and watching a robot work the bolt is super cool.

Your troops can be quite flexible. If you built a generic squad you can find weapon pickups on the map or off enemies that change them to grenadiers or machine gunners, among other things. You can swap them back as long as the weapon pickup doesn’t despawn.

There’s a risk style mode where you attack on a map and then play a skirmish to see if you win or lose the battle. At first I was afraid that it would just be a 1v1 multiplayer match against the AI each time but there’s actually a large number of mission types ranging from being the first person to retrieve airdropped supplies to base defense.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oo that sounds like my kinda RTS jam

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah sounds a bit like a non 40k Dawn of War, I'll look into it :toot:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've been playing through Death Stranding and after getting some of the performance tweaks taken care of (drat you game crashes :argh:), I started looking at music stuff the game has in one of the Private Rooms, only to find out that you can't actually listen to music while doing deliveries unless a song plays on its own. That was a little bit of a bummer at first, since you'd have to alt-tab in and out to pause and play music while on a delivery. After a little bit of tinkering with Spotify for handling playing music around the house/through a bluetooth headset that I have, I ended up realizing that the open-back headphones that I have actually fit perfectly over the bluetooth buds while still having easy access to the pause/play button on the side of them, so now when I'm on deliveries in the game I can use the same playlist I use for when I'm walking to work, and I can pause it easily whenever the in-game tracks kick in, BTs appear, etc. which ends up making the whole thing extremely functional and adds to the immersion quite a bit.

I also put up a few ladders/ropes/etc. around that carve out very easy shortcuts through some of the first few areas, and even let me entirely bypass a huge area that looked like it was going to be BT country, and allow me to directly cut through a mountainous area by the incinerator for easy access to a distribution center and also a way up to an old factory that I didn't even realize existed just nearby. I was expecting the game to be largely about making shortcuts, but I wasn't expecting to find ruined buildings that serve as interesting landmarks. Makes me want to just climb every cliff face to see what's hidden around, and leave little shortcuts behind so I can dart around the landscape to make deliveries.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Iron Harvest is nice but I wasn't really sure if the mechs in the game are supposed to be the same mechs depicted in the art. In the art, the mechs are the size of mountains, but in game they're about the size you would expect a mech to be. Are the ones in-game just abstracted to appear smaller, as in am I supposed to be pretending these are the giant mechs and for the sake of manageable gameplay they're just reduced, or is it just that there are enormous mechs out there and it's just that we never see them?

Because it feels weird and kind of misleading to show me art of giant mechs but there be zero giant mechs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bawk posted:

I've been playing through Death Stranding and after getting some of the performance tweaks taken care of (drat you game crashes :argh:), I started looking at music stuff the game has in one of the Private Rooms, only to find out that you can't actually listen to music while doing deliveries unless a song plays on its own. That was a little bit of a bummer at first, since you'd have to alt-tab in and out to pause and play music while on a delivery. After a little bit of tinkering with Spotify for handling playing music around the house/through a bluetooth headset that I have, I ended up realizing that the open-back headphones that I have actually fit perfectly over the bluetooth buds while still having easy access to the pause/play button on the side of them, so now when I'm on deliveries in the game I can use the same playlist I use for when I'm walking to work, and I can pause it easily whenever the in-game tracks kick in, BTs appear, etc. which ends up making the whole thing extremely functional and adds to the immersion quite a bit.

That's a nice setup, I did sort of the same thing with an over ear headset for the game audio and an earbud in to listen to audio from my phone when there was nothing going on in game. I loved the amount of quiet time in the game, it's the best one I've played in years for just chilling with whatever I want to listen to (in my case, audiobooks and podcasts).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's a nice setup, I did sort of the same thing with an over ear headset for the game audio and an earbud in to listen to audio from my phone when there was nothing going on in game. I loved the amount of quiet time in the game, it's the best one I've played in years for just chilling with whatever I want to listen to (in my case, audiobooks and podcasts).

Nice! I had a bit of overlap with Sam's/Hideo's taste in music so I've been putting together a little bit of a Death Stranding Playlist right now, but I usually listen to podcasts at work.

I'm imagining Norman Reedus carrying a baby and suitcases of oxytocin through BT country while listening to something like Car Talk and can't stop grinning :allears:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bawk posted:

I'm imagining Norman Reedus carrying a baby and suitcases of oxytocin through BT country while listening to something like Car Talk and can't stop grinning :allears:

Lol, that's the kinda stuff I listen to while hiking up in the mountains myself, it's a good time.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Did they remove all the Ride! With Norman Reedus ads?

That’s what you should be listening to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stardew Valley, I'm not sure there's a heterosexual explanation for this.

Not that I'm complaining, of course.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

moosecow333 posted:

Did they remove all the Ride! With Norman Reedus ads?

That’s what you should be listening to.

No they did not! In the Director's Cut, they added a Ride!-themed motorcycle, and when you use it, Sam sometimes says, "Nice. It's like Ride! with Norman Reedus is happening".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that was in the original

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the writing in the ps4/5 God of War games, now that I've played Ragnarok, there are a lot of strong character moments and fun asides that resolve in emotionally satisfying ways like Brok's riddle in Ragnarok.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Arkham Knight managed to hit me with a twist I genuinely didn't see coming that was still really well-forecast, and I think it's because it either intentionally or not plays to a weird quirk of Batman stories outside of the main canon.

Any time you're going through one of those stories and it isn't an origin story, it's really up in the air what parts of the mythos are canon. How many Clayfaces have there been? Who knows what secret identities? What Robins happened, and where are they now? You're basically completely uncertain until it actually comes out and says something.

Which meant that they could circle around 'Jason Todd is the Arkham Knight' A WHOLE LOT, and I didn't realize that I was in the middle of a Red Hood retelling because Jason Todd is in a position of quantum uncertainty in any non-core Batman story. I never guessed it was him, because even when I did know he was a canon Robin in the Arkham story I just assumed he wasn't being mentioned because he's off being the Red Hood somewhere!

It also leads to my favorite voice acting in the game, when he turns off the voice filter and while his actual performance barely changes, you can tell the filter's been hiding the fact he's been on the mental brink the whole time.

Friends have pointed out I probably benefitted from either not seeing or completely forgetting clickbait thumbnails from the time that spoiled it, though. That probably helps.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I started playing Ghostwire Tokyo, the rain is the kanji for rain and I like that the streetlights reflect the awareness of the visitors, they all glow yellow when the visitors get a glimpse of you and they glow red when they start coming after you

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I benefited from not knowing too much of the comic book Batman mythos and almost got surprised by that twist (they protested too much with lavish flashbacks to the guy's offscreen death and I caught on) much as I benefited when I watched The Dark Knight in 2008 and had no idea where this Harvey Dent guy's story was going to go

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

sebmojo posted:

James souls, creator of dark souls, was bitten a horrible dog once and hates them all beyond description

i absolutely with 100% of my heart despise every dog in a souls game

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

verbal enema posted:

i absolutely with 100% of my heart despise every dog in a souls game
*sad dog noises*
\

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

2house2fly posted:

(they protested too much with lavish flashbacks to the guy's offscreen death and I caught on)

See, that part probably should've clued me in, but if you have the amount of General Batman Knowledge I have (which is 'I'm friends with enough nerds to know most major parts despite not reading comics') then it tracks as just a recognizable and affecting subject for a fear-gas flashback. They did his parents' deaths in the first game, they did the Killing Joke early in Knight, and that scene is basically third place. Especially for the context it's in, being a mission with Robin dealing with Joker Bullshit. It's definitely the main setup, but I was sorta tricked into reading it as background color instead.

I think I tricked myself into going down a different path instead, though. I missed a lot of the clues because I was convinced the Arkham Knight was Anarky, thanks to his jacket with similar imagery being in the evidence room and thug chatter bringing him up, which I thought was really conspicuous for a complete nobody character like that. Batman stories have referenced Jason Todd's death (or 'death') just as backstory before, so I assumed that was what they were doing, but why would you mention Anarky multiple times if you aren't using him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Debunk This! posted:

*sad dog noises*
\

I liked the bug that made of those attack about 30 times a second. Working my way through some ruins, and then instantly die when a dog attacks. Reload, go back, can't figure out which one it was, grab the souls and die again.