Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Endorph posted:

im not fixing that typo

Good on ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

women are constantly debating the difference between emitter nen and transmutation nen

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
women be shopping :grin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

women are constantly debating the difference between emitter nen and transmutation nen

emitters create nen, transmuters modify nen. pretty obvious tbh.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Electric Phantasm posted:

Romance/Romcom honestly thought that's what shoujo meant this whole time.

I'll try anything, but if there's something where they're already a couple and it's about their relationship that would be nice.

Depends on what you're further looking for. There are many goods one I can rec that are of the relaxing variety where you just sit back and enjoy the fluff and relationship SoL hijinks(Sweat and Soap, Uzaki-chan, Shikimori, Wotakoi, Futari Ashita mo Sorenari ni, Love so Life, Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawrence, My Perfect Girlfriend), HS comedy stuff mixed in(Lovely Complex, Yandere Kanojo, Ore Monogatari, Oresama Teacher, Pseudo Harem, Senryu Shoujo, and again Shikimori and Love so Life, Takagi-san takes place in MS but still fits here) historical(Victorian Romance Emma, Mademoiselle Butterfly, Taisho Otome Otogibanashi).

I'll post more recs once I sift through my bookmarks.

Edit: Ones where the couple is already dating or very much established before the story starts or hookup near immediately near the beginning are Shikimori, Sweat and Soap, My Perfect Girlfriend, Yandere Kanojo, Ore Monogatari, Pseudo Harem, and Futari Ashita.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 31, 2022

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I’m looking for something new to watch with Mrs. Breadnought. Her favorites are K-On, Yuru Camp, Sound Euphonium, and A Place Further Than the Universe, and we’re currently watching Spy x Family together which she loves, as well as Bocchi the Rock. Any tips?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Do it Yourself
Ya boy Kongming
Kaguya Sama: Love is War

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Breadnought posted:

I’m looking for something new to watch with Mrs. Breadnought. Her favorites are K-On, Yuru Camp, Sound Euphonium, and A Place Further Than the Universe, and we’re currently watching Spy x Family together which she loves, as well as Bocchi the Rock. Any tips?

Yama no Susume (Encouragement of Climb). Might be hard to find without :filez: though.

Girl's Last Tour

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Breadnought posted:

Nichijou and Hyouka, both by the same studio that made K-ON and Euphonium.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Breadnought posted:

slow loop, hidamari sketch, aria, all kinda hit the laidback vibes angle your wife seems to enjoy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone ever done a Logan's Run Manga/Anime where they kill off anyone older than a teenager?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arc Hammer posted:

Has anyone ever done a Logan's Run Manga/Anime where they kill off anyone older than a teenager?

Not quite that level but Shinsekai Yori had elements of “die at puberty if you can’t get powers under control “ as a major society / plot element.

It’s also just really good imo

https://myanimelist.net/anime/13125/Shinsekai_yori

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

The Executioner and Her Way of Life is an Isekai where they kill Isekai'd people on sight.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for a reverse harem (girl surrounded by dudes), with a few caveats:

- Nothing old (no Ouran), nothing with that pre-HD animation style. Maybe like ~2010+?
- Nothing with a dumbass Protagonist
- No weird slave harems
- Elements of the girl driving plot advancement, instead of the dudes running the plot around her and her Waiting For Something To Happen

Maybe something with the tone of Domestic Girlfriend or Nana, but with like.. dudes instead?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Try Pretty Boy Detective Club

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for a reverse harem (girl surrounded by dudes)

My Next Life as a Vi...

PRADA SLUT posted:

Never mind.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PRADA SLUT posted:

- Nothing old (no Ouran), nothing with that pre-HD animation style. Maybe like ~2010+?
- No weird slave harems
- Elements of the girl driving plot advancement, instead of the dudes running the plot around her and her Waiting For Something To Happen

Maybe something with the tone of Domestic Girlfriend or Nana, but with like.. dudes instead?

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wasn't Nana already "but with dudes instead"?

Anyways, Scum's Wish is similar to Domestic Girlfriend with a female MC (and also a dude who tries to be another MC, but is really just her emo fuckbuddy and we all know it). Not really a harem though. O Maidens in Your Savage Season is also very much that tone, but again, not a harem.

MariaHolic and Citrus are both definitely girls-with-harems shows, but they're both Yuri so no dudes (except MariaHolic has one dude, but he's an actual literal abuser forcing himself on a gay teenage girl)

You said no Ouran Host Club already... man, yeah, I guess Pretty Boy Detective Club is it.

Fake Edit: Oh wait - uh what's the one where the dudes turn into animals when they touch her? That one probably fits the bill.

Real Edit: Fruits Basket is the one I was thinking of. It just got redone a few years ago.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 4, 2023

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does Kiss Him Not Me count lol

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recs good, but still looking:

KillHour posted:

Wasn't Nana already "but with dudes instead"?

Yeah, but I wouldn't call Nana harem. I loved Nana, but I'd mark it as more of a pure drama.

quote:

Anyways, Scum's Wish is similar to Domestic Girlfriend with a female MC (and also a dude who tries to be another MC, but is really just her emo fuckbuddy and we all know it). Not really a harem though. O Maidens in Your Savage Season is also very much that tone, but again, not a harem.

Really liked both of these, but (like Nana) it's a bunch of people navigating their own relationships, instead of having a central MC surrounded by dudes. I guess Scum's Wish is a bit haremy, but it's more Love Triangle. Did like it quite a bit though, at least the manga. I loved the absolute anguish at times, reminded me of Flowers of Evil and Nana.

quote:

Real Edit: Fruits Basket is the one I was thinking of. It just got redone a few years ago.

Watched the new Fruits Basket.. thought it was too like.. juvenile? It wasn't bad, but it seemed a bit too wholesome/cutesy/tweeny.

quote:

MariaHolic and Citrus are both definitely girls-with-harems shows, but they're both Yuri so no dudes (except MariaHolic has one dude, but he's an actual literal abuser forcing himself on a gay teenage girl)

Went about 6 eps into Citrus. Seemed like it was more like viewer fetish material. Still, I don't actually mind if You Got Some BL/Yuri In My Harem, so long as the show meets the other criteria. I watched Given and thought it was going to be Gay Harem, but it ended up being a single relationship with a slow-rear end plot pacing. Though, for purposes of This Post, am still looking for female MC surrounded by dudes (or I guess some girls mixed in).

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Saw the first like four episodes.. something didn't stick, but does it get different at all? I think it felt a little too cutesy with the plot being one of those "MC gets swept into this husbandoverse" (e.g., fruits basket). Would be willing to give it a shot if it's exactly what I'm looking for and I just didn't give it enough of a chance.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 5, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
citrus is, not fetish material, unless you just want to define the concept of a melodramatic lesbian anime with some wild occasionally soap opera-esque plot points as that. it's not really a harem either though

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Kakeguri, Kamisama Kiss, and K are all wrong answers for one reason or another I just thought it weird how everything I thought of started with K.

I unno actual honest to god reverse harem seems hard. I feel like if there isn’t at least some ambiguity about coupling it shouldn’t count.

Saints Power is Omnipotent sorta qualifies I guess.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kater posted:

Kakeguri, Kamisama Kiss, and K are all wrong answers for one reason or another I just thought it weird how everything I thought of started with K.

I unno actual honest to god reverse harem seems hard. I feel like if there isn’t at least some ambiguity about coupling it shouldn’t count.

Saints Power is Omnipotent sorta qualifies I guess.

harem anime isnt real outside of the really badly animated poo poo

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

PRADA SLUT posted:

- No weird slave harems

Yona of the Dawn?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

- No weird slave harems

Kamisama Hajimemashita

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ive got covid and am also in a foreign country (awesome vacation so far) so to help pass the time I am going to attempt to read one of the 3 following manga. I'm about ready to just use an rng to determine which one but instead I will place my life in the hands of adtrw:

-knights of sidonia
-gundam thunderbolt
-chainsaw man

With the knowledge I possess I feel extremely evenly split on which of these I am most likely to enjoy and not drop after a small handful of chapters. Chainsaw man sounds like the easiest read (big plus for my ADHD addled brain) but having seen the anime it's not as exciting to me as the others. I love the thunderbolt anime but bandit flower seemed like it's leading into some really convoluted stuff that I'm not sure will keep the story focused into what I really liked about december sky. I know very little about knights of sidonia and the fact that it's all new to me seems like a plus over material I've already seen animated, but this also makes it riskier. Everything I've heard about it seems pretty sick though, and I know there's cool mechs and also terrifying flesh blobs and both of these things excite me.

Someone make decisions for me please

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chainsawman would be my call, but you'll probably blow through it pretty quickly, so both that and Knights of sidonia.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I agree. Chainsaw Man is just incredible all around, and knights of sidonia is flawed but has some insanely good scifi and cosmic horror in it, also rad as hell mechs.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Can I get some recommendations for something with dubs based on liking Chainsaw Man, Demon Slayer, Goblin Slayer, Claymore, Basilisk. I enjoy hero's journey stuff and stuff where everyone has a wacky power...

I've started and enjoyed One Piece, Attack on Titan, and My Hero Academia, but I need dubs so I can turn it on while I'm working.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Can I get some recommendations for something with dubs based on liking Chainsaw Man, Demon Slayer, Goblin Slayer, Claymore, Basilisk. I enjoy hero's journey stuff and stuff where everyone has a wacky power...

I've started and enjoyed One Piece, Attack on Titan, and My Hero Academia, but I need dubs so I can turn it on while I'm working.

Check out the Jujustu Kaisen dub. That's pretty solid and seems up your alley for something relatively modern.

FMA: Brotherhood's dub is also good.

There's probs a bunch more here.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Jojos Bizarre Adventure
Jujutsu Kaiden

or maybe Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Sweet, I'll give those a shot. Thanks!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho dub

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PRADA SLUT posted:

- No weird slave harems

Code: Realize?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I heard the Hunter x Hunter (2011) dub is pretty good.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Can you name a show that is a "normal" (one dude, multiple women) harem that has the tone you want? Because honestly, when I think of harem, I think of either goofy "and then ANOTHER misunderstanding happened!" romcoms or "this dude is totally pathetic but every woman wants him for some reason" idiotic nerd wish fulfillment.

I don't feel like Domestic Girlfriend is any more of a Harem than Scums Wish or Nana, since it's more of a love triangle deal like those. There are plenty of goofy comedy reverse harems (there's a new one on Netflix), but I'm really struggling to think of any grimdark harem shows other than the really messed up isekai stuff like Redo of Healer or that slave one from last season, which you said you also don't want.

The Colonel posted:

citrus is, not fetish material, unless you just want to define the concept of a melodramatic lesbian anime with some wild occasionally soap opera-esque plot points as that. it's not really a harem either though

It's gets kind of harem-y at the end with multiple girls going after the MC, but it's also mostly just kinda rapey.

Edit: Mariaholic is still the closest I can think of but it definitely has a lot of "haha isn't it funny that the crossdressing dude is a sex pest!?" and also it's kinda old.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 6, 2023

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Grim dark harem? Schools days. Also Elfen lied. Bad boys of the mid aughts.

No idea reverse harem. but usually usually everyone is mega traumatized so let’s go easy mode and say the remake of fruits basket.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

KillHour posted:

Can you name a show that is a "normal" (one dude, multiple women) harem that has the tone you want? Because honestly, when I think of harem, I think of either goofy "and then ANOTHER misunderstanding happened!" romcoms or "this dude is totally pathetic but every woman wants him for some reason" idiotic nerd wish fulfillment.

I don't feel like Domestic Girlfriend is any more of a Harem than Scums Wish or Nana, since it's more of a love triangle deal like those. There are plenty of goofy comedy reverse harems (there's a new one on Netflix), but I'm really struggling to think of any grimdark harem shows other than the really messed up isekai stuff like Redo of Healer or that slave one from last season, which you said you also don't want.

It's gets kind of harem-y at the end with multiple girls going after the MC, but it's also mostly just kinda rapey.

Edit: Mariaholic is still the closest I can think of but it definitely has a lot of "haha isn't it funny that the crossdressing dude is a sex pest!?" and also it's kinda old.

Idk that it’s gonna be your definition of “normal” but I thought oresuki was good

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Erg posted:

Idk that it’s gonna be your definition of “normal” but I thought oresuki was good

By normal, I just mean male protag. Oresuki was good, but the OP was specifically looking for something more like Nana, not a comedy, which is what I'm having a hard time thinking of.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

oh i missed most of this page lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

anyways op i think what will serve you best are shows formerly airing on WB or The CW such as Gilmore Girls, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or Veronica Mars