Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This can't go on past July or we risk a default, and I'm not sure even Republicans would let it go past another week or so. This is insanely embarrassing for them.

I mean, the mainstream Republican party is hoping to force a default and think Biden will cave into their demands to (regressive insanity goes here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What does that even achieve

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Punchbowl News just confirmed they're gonna gavel in and then the Republicans are going to make a motion to adjourn

Going to be interesting to see if they can carry it by themselves

Dems should absolutely vote nay just to watch them squirm personally :hmmyes:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bellmaker posted:

Dems should absolutely vote nay just to watch them squirm personally :hmmyes:

per WaPo, the dem leadership is whipping a nay vote on any pre-emptive adjournment today

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cr0y posted:

What does that even achieve

McCarthy apparently still doesn't have the votes to become Speaker. His chancers are definitely not helped by holding more votes where he fails to get elected, and gives even more opportunities for unhappy Republicans who have backed him so far to defect. The House must reconvene per yesterday's vote, but if they immediately adjourn again, he has more time to try to get the HFC to relent. It's far preferable to losing the Speakership election over and over.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean, the mainstream Republican party is hoping to force a default and think Biden will cave into their demands to (regressive insanity goes here).

I think if it came to it Biden needs to basically have a public address to the nation and say "Owing to the debt clause of the 14th Amendment, we will continue to honor all debts made by the United States to our creditors" or something.

I know the debt limit is law but also the 14th debt clause supercedes it and it's never been tested judicially

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I think if it came to it Biden needs to basically have a public address to the nation and say "Owing to the debt clause of the 14th Amendment, we will continue to honor all debts made by the United States to our creditors" or something.

I know the debt limit is law but also the 14th debt clause supercedes it and it's never been tested judicially

The Debt Limit is an interpretation of the law advanced by the Carter Administration. Prior to that, there was no doubt that the United States would fulfill its obligations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Wait I thought the debt limit was an actual policy enacted in the 10s?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_States_debt_ceiling

Or is there a difference between the limit and ceiling?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

this is the same bullshit he tried yesterday, except yesterday he pretended the democrats were going to sit out which is immeasurably more stupid than pretending that he'll get eleven defections from the hard no crowd
he'll get no defections and eventually we'll end up with scalise or something boring
chaos house is very funny

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

per WaPo, the dem leadership is whipping a nay vote on any pre-emptive adjournment today

Dem Leadership to the rest of the Dems: Hey...know what would be really funny?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Congress is great at doing nothing until the last minute. The Rs somewhat reasonably see little need to rush if the senate isn't even around until the end of January.

I think talk of July is waaaaay premature. Funny, but the odds of SOMETHING budging before then are high, even if we can't clearly identify the something yet.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

coelomate posted:

Congress is great at doing nothing until the last minute. The Rs somewhat reasonably see little need to rush if the senate isn't even around until the end of January.
Some of the members are frothing at the mouth to start working on the Hunter Biden Trials, though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1610680088881762314 https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1610680608988037125

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Hehehe Day 2 starting with the drama already

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

JEB!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I can't wait to see who it is OP

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1610682579316871169

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 4, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Right before the first vote, the house lights go dark and music begins playing.

"Bah gawd, is that Sienema's music?"

A true independent entity of chaos for a house of chaos!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

At this point the HFC is looking to humiliate McCarthy because he's gonna slowly bleed support with each successive vote

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1610682057549647884 https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1610683955061166142

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Gaetz still acting like a child
https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status/1610674726170689538

e: 351 member quorum is not big

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

Even in the House, there's only a few people crazy enough to actually want a default. The wealthy megadonors generally don't want the entire economy utterly destroyed.

I severely doubt this is gonna drag on into summer. But if it does, we'll absolutely see some kind of drastic move to clear this impasse.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1610685026097664023

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

Gaetz still acting like a child
https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status/1610674726170689538

e: 351 member quorum is not big

Assuming no more members join and all Dems are there that's 434 - 351 = 41.5 missing which means ~20 vote lower threshold which means Speaker Jeffries

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Assuming no more members join and all Dems are there that's 434 - 351 = 41.5 missing which means ~20 vote lower threshold which means Speaker Jeffries

Pretty sure it's just people being late, but we'll see

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

He means after Jefferies, right?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Piell posted:

Pretty sure it's just people being late, but we'll see

Yeah it is but a man can dream!

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Jeffries had the plurality so I think Kevin is using a different definition of "most" than is legally recognized.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1610686330027085834

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I love they're starting with "EVERYTHING IS FINE! WE'RE GOING ALL TO PLAN!"

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I'm not mad, actually. This is what I wanted to happen.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Voting for the guy who flipped from Kevin to Never Kevin is the most venal thing I've seen, but I wonder if this means he has agreed to more or less than what Kevin has been demanded

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"no one has ever done more for democracy than this man, who doesn't have the votes."

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
This is a “not sinking like the titanic, but soaring like the Hindenburg” speech.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Khaos Kaucus Kandidate is Donalds this time

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Wondering when a McCarthy guy starts yelling or booing the next time someone else is nominated

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I thought that Byron would be the least experienced speaker in US history if elected (he won't) but actually Henry Clay and William Pennington were both elected speaker as freshman.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
"Here, for the first time, there are two black Americans placed into nomination for the Speaker of the House."

*tepid clapping*

"oh, gently caress, I'm on camera, I'd better stand and clap!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
This is genuinely hilarious and beyond parody. Using a MLK quote as a dogwhistle is next-level absurd.

He really wants to use "why won't Democrats support a black man?!" but can't.