Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

DEFINITIVE LISTING OF TREK DOCTORS

1. The EMH
2. McCoy
3. Pulaski
4. Phlox
5. Bashir
6. Paris
7. Kes? Wasn't Kes a nurse for a few episodes?
8. Literally anyone else
9. Crusher

I assume the other Treks have doctors on them but I never watched any of them nor do I have any particular desire to do so

McCoy was a racist piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Cuttlefush posted:

stranger in a strange land is quaint

i reread a couple years ago and enjoyed it still, but its also bad

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lmao whoever changed smythe's avatar own up so we can shower you with emptyquotes

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

we needed no more evidence for this after "A Million Ways To Die In The West"

oh I never saw that but I can imagine you're right

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lobster shirt posted:

i reread a couple years ago and enjoyed it still, but its also bad

well yeah, obviously

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

lmao whoever changed smythe's avatar own up so we can shower you with emptyquotes

Best $10 I ever spent

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/schaller67/status/1610694851581939729

This is a good idea. Speaker Kanye?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Excelzior posted:

Best $10 [you] ever spent

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

most sci fi writers tend to get sooo much worse when they get older

although I think Heinlein was consistently horny all the way through

lobster shirt posted:

no he got so much worse. go read the wikipedia plot summary for his final novel, to sail beyond the sunset. it is remarkable. makes stranger in a strange land seem quaint.

lmfao. iom going to post it here for those too lazy to click or whos phones are too slow to do such thing (expecting people to alt-tab is ableist and classist)

quote:

The book is a memoir of Maureen Johnson Smith Long, mother, lover, and eventual wife of Lazarus Long. Maureen is ostensibly recording the events of the book while held in prison alongside Pixel, the eponymous character of The Cat Who Walks Through Walls.

Maureen, born on July 4, 1882, recounts her girlhood in backcountry Missouri, discovery that her family is a member of the long-lived Howard Families (whose backstory is revealed in Methuselah's Children), marriage to Brian Smith, another member of that group, and her life—largely in Kansas City—until her apparent death in 1982. In addition, Maureen lives through, and gives her (sometimes contradictory) viewpoints on many events in other Heinlein stories, most notably the 1917 visit from the future by "Ted Bronson" (Lazarus Long), told from Long's point of view in Time Enough for Love, D. D. Harriman's space program from The Man Who Sold the Moon, and the rolling roads from The Roads Must Roll.

Maureen's adventures include a series of sexual encounters, beginning in childhood wherein, having just had her first sexual intercourse, she is examined by her father, a doctor, and finds herself desiring him sexually. Her story then encompasses various boys, her husband, ministers, other women's husbands, boyfriends, swinging sessions, and the adult Lazarus Long/Theodore Bronson. Additionally, she continues a lifelong pursuit of her father sexually, encourages her husband to have sexual intercourse with their daughters, and accompanies him when he does; but forbids a son and daughter of hers from continuing an incestuous relationship, primarily for the sister's reluctance to share the brother with other women.[1] All of these are set against a history lesson of an alternate 20th century in which a variety of social and philosophical commentary is delivered.

She is eventually rescued from prison by Lazarus Long and other characters of various novels in the ship Gay Deceiver (from The Number of the Beast), and after rescuing her father from certain death in the Battle of Britain, is united with her descendants in a massive group marriage in the settlement of Boondock, on the planet Tertius. Maureen ends her memoir and the Lazarus Long saga with the phrase "And we all lived happily ever after".

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Smythe posted:

robert Picardo does a lot of theatre and he’s a really nice guy. in this forum we support robert

the only time i ever used Cameo was to get a personalized birthday message from Picardo to my dad because we'd watch star trek together when I was growing up, and he liked the doctor's character a lot. The dude put in a ton of effort and really made a great video, dad loved it. Picardo rocks

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

qcs should remain closed but the PYF tankies thread should be reopened

My favorite tankie?

Probably Marshall Zhukov. Does Ho Chi Minh count?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Nichael posted:

I'm trying to find that really bizarre quote from Coons where he explains why he always calls Trump "Mr. President", but instead I found this lmao

lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

oh I never saw that but I can imagine you're right

it's mostly just mediocre from what I remember but the entire thing feels really weird because almost every role is played by a celebrity and then the leading man role is Seth, and that was his first time really putting his face on screen from what I remember. It almost comes off like a movie where the leading man actor died the day before they were gonna shoot the movie and Seth McFarlane just happened to fit in all his costumes.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

no he got so much worse. go read the wikipedia plot summary for his final novel, to sail beyond the sunset. it is remarkable. makes stranger in a strange land seem quaint.

for a laugh throw heinlein into both PYF and The Book Barn on a search and see how many sagas superstars have good things to say about him

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

it's mostly just mediocre from what I remember but the entire thing feels really weird because almost every role is played by a celebrity and then the leading man role is Seth, and that was his first time really putting his face on screen from what I remember. It almost comes off like a movie where the leading man actor died the day before they were gonna shoot the movie and Seth McFarlane just happened to fit in all his costumes.

Holy crap, this is just like that time my lead actor dropped dead and I had to fill his role!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my favorite fascist is ARCTURUS MENGSK who is voiced by james harper who is also a theatre actor and also VERY COOL. THE CONFEDERACY IS NO MORE!! TODAY WE STAND UNITED UNDER A COMMON BANNER OF THE TERRAN DOMINION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6bVj-nTkiU&t=99s

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

speng31b posted:

the only time i ever used Cameo was to get a personalized birthday message from Picardo to my dad because we'd watch star trek together when I was growing up, and he liked the doctor's character a lot. The dude put in a ton of effort and really made a great video, dad loved it. Picardo rocks

love this

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Excelzior posted:

Best $10 I ever spent

ty for your service

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

Holy crap, this is just like that time my lead actor dropped dead and I had to fill his role!

lol

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I don't care for Crusher and I can't be swayed.

Pulaski was at least trying to have a character and build a dynamic with the rest of the crew, even if the character was acerbic jerk.

McCoy being an rear end was part of the TOS dynamic of logical Spock, hotheaded rear end McCoy, and Kirk navigating between them

Nichael posted:

I like cat doctor on LD. on Prodigy, the doctor is a Medusan teenager in a robot suit. disco is disco. SNW's doctor is M'Benga from TOS, and he's pretty cool.

I confess I watched the first season of Discovery and while I thought the guy who played their doctor was fine, I guess, I couldn't remember his name or if he really did anything notable outside of getting murdered for shock value

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

speng31b posted:

:3

It almost comes off like a movie where the leading man actor died the day before they were gonna shoot the movie and Seth McFarlane just happened to fit in all his costumes.

he seems to have that energy in everything lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i cnat get down with the new grimdark treks. they had their chance but passed on it so we got bsg ins6tead. now theyre all knockoff bsg wannabees. sad to see.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Seth created a cartoon dynasty just so he could put out a record of him singing standards. king poo poo

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Excelzior posted:

Best $10 ever spent

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Smythe posted:

my favorite fascist is ARCTURUS MENGSK who is voiced by james harper who is also a theatre actor and also VERY COOL. THE CONFEDERACY IS NO MORE!! TODAY WE STAND UNITED UNDER A COMMON BANNER OF THE TERRAN DOMINION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6bVj-nTkiU&t=99s

The StarCraft tie-in novel that made up and followed some journalist character that tagged along for the events of the first game was peak middle schooler fiction.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Smythe posted:

i cnat get down with the new grimdark treks. they had their chance but passed on it so we got bsg ins6tead. now theyre all knockoff bsg wannabees. sad to see.

I did not watch season 2 of Disco. I do not want more of that, thanks.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

a few funny things from that thread

1) they were complaining about this: "I'm still voting for that vital young female senator with succulent toes tho." while not realizing that "vital young female" is a quote from a lib woman in nov 2019 regarding jess, and the poster who posted that was mocking the lib who made the initial creepy statement.

2) somehow this was brought up as "evidence" against my character, when this was a dude who actually was very creepy toward her, and we responded by sending him that and blocking. if I recall correctly, he (or one of his friends), also called my best friend a "fag", about an hour prior to this.

3) "Also, checking for Nicheal's post about how an volunteer election campaign worker excitedly asked him about voting for Biden, and he, a democratic campaign manger said "no I won't vote for that rapist" leading to the volunteer to slump off dejectedly from his response

Bullet point 3 did not happen. Volunteers ramped up pretty consistently with the exception of the initial months of COVID, and a week or two during the mass protests. The volunteer in question is a very eccentric, older leftist dude, who knows Biden personally (and claims to have fist fought him several times in the 1970s), so he voted for him. He didn't like me calling his buddy a rapist, despite the fact that his buddy is a rapist, but he still worked hard for the campaign after that, and continued to do DE lefty stuff until this day. However, he will stop soon because he is moving to Ireland to escape the :amerikkka:. I wish him luck.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

I don't care for Crusher and I can't be swayed.

Pulaski was at least trying to have a character and build a dynamic with the rest of the crew, even if the character was acerbic jerk.

McCoy being an rear end was part of the TOS dynamic of logical Spock, hotheaded rear end McCoy, and Kirk navigating between them

I confess I watched the first season of Discovery and while I thought the guy who played their doctor was fine, I guess, I couldn't remember his name or if he really did anything notable outside of getting murdered for shock value

he got reborn as a mushroom man baby in the next season

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nichael posted:

pyf stuff

yah like I said they all have dog-brains

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i generally enjoy heinleins books but hes very hosed up and much of his oeuvre is indefensible

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HallelujahLee posted:

that thread honestly seems to serve as more of a go after your forums enemies than anything else that being said im sure there were creepy goons in that scarlane thread i dont know how that makes the op of that thread culpable for it unless their were encouraging the behavior

I've been around long enough to say nothing good will result from riling up or interacting with that crew. Nothing good at all.

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
boy, i sure hope this episode of star trek has the crew running around in a bunch of costumes provided by my school's drama department

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I always forget to not post outside of cspam since a huge portion of this forum is unfunny and unfun.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Smythe posted:

prodigy and snw good

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

nominate trump you coward

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nichael posted:

he got reborn as a mushroom man baby in the next season

Good to know that they only murdered the loving gay doctor for cheap shock value and quickly erased any lasting impact so no one could get mad at them. That is exactly the kind of writing I expect from my experience with Discovery.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I always forget to not post outside of cspam since a huge portion of this forum is unfunny and unfun.

it strikes me as dudes in their 40s who spent their primes playing ultima and eq

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nichael posted:

prodigy and snw good

which is the one with president of earth stacy abrams

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

honestly it’s wise to get all your facts and arguments in order cause there will 100% be a thread to perma you for grooming the senate candidate the instant qcs opens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

Good to know that they only murdered the loving gay doctor for cheap shock value and quickly erased any lasting impact so no one could get mad at them. That is exactly the kind of writing I expect from my experience with Discovery.

I like Discovery, or at least parts of it, but I fully acknowledge it's a bad show. I think Doug Jones' Saru should somehow be airlifted into a better show eventually.