Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
Hasn't the whole "fentanyl comes from BIDENS OPEN MEXICO BORDER" been partially debunked? Its mostly comes from the ports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
guy nominating Donalds took four tries to get the right dollar amount for the omnibus bill

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
"We've had enough of the House being broken" *renders House unable to function*

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Youth Decay posted:

christ what a shitshow, I thought at least the clerk can enforce this?
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1610734107062829072

You know a better way to cope with the shitshow the Republicans are producing?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

tecnocrat posted:

No rules, no masters. Chaos reigns.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Take six!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The Democrats should just turn this into a giant loving circus, wear silly costumes, eat pizza with their feet kicked up on the chairs, do bong rips, play beer pong in the aisles, have a karaoke station.

Any Republican that votes for Jeffries gets a ticket to the ice cream bar.

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Tucker has said that chaos is good actually and means we live in a democracy, implying the non-HFC people are authoritarian soviet fans, Ben Shapiro has said that it’s stupid since the only thing the house can really do without the senate or presidency is roadblock Biden which literally anyone can do, hannity has said it’s embarrassing and makes republicans look bad

If we lived in a actual democracy the candidate for speaker that got most votes would have won and Jeffries would be the speaker of the house.

The fact that minority parties can't present laws or win speakership when the opposing party is locked up like this is the exact opposite of what would happen in most democracies.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

I for one am devastated that a student at Utah Valley University is critical of the Democrats

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

CameronisGod posted:

If we lived in a actual democracy the candidate for speaker that got most votes would have won and Jeffries would be the speaker of the house.

The fact that minority parties can't present laws or win speakership when the opposing party is locked up like this is the exact opposite of what would happen in most democracies.

Well no, because the majority of the house is opposed to Jeffries as well and can vote to kill all his legislation

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

cr0y posted:

The Democrats should just turn this into a giant loving circus, wear silly costumes, eat pizza with their feet kicked up on the chairs, do bong rips, play beer pong in the aisles, have a karaoke station.

Any Republican that votes for Jeffries gets a ticket to the ice cream bar.

That’s too cool for the Democrats to even think about doing.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
There's 5!

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Well no, because the majority of the house is opposed to Jeffries as well and can vote to kill all his legislation

Then let them do that. Nothing this Congress can pass will matter anyways because the majority of the Senate and Executive branch opposes the majority in Congress. But until that majority can agree on a leader, the leadership should go to the person with the most votes, which is not McCarthy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BDawg posted:

There's 5!

7!

So he will lose again, and then they will adjourn. Other than the one former McCarthy voter changing her vote to "present", nothing much has happened today.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

They're getting rowdy now

https://twitter.com/TalKopan/status/1610736701365682178

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Unless there is some bipartisan pick that enough Democrats and non-HFC Republicans can agree to compromise on, we’re going to breeze past 133 votes for speaker. Just a gut feeling.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

StumblyWumbly posted:

How is this playing in the right wing media? Has Tucker said he loves the HFC and they're definitely going to get *mumblemumblemumble*, or are they just being silent while the republicans act like useless assholes?

I think they're in that good period where they don't know what to say so they're all saying random poo poo. That's when its fun to watch right wing media. When they're in chaos and haven't figured out the message yet. Some are saying the HFC are clowns. Some are saying McCarthy is a RINO. Some are saying this is good and healthy democracy. Some are saying its the Democrats fault for not even playing ball. Now that Trump's weighed in a bunch of people will get confused as to whether they agree with him or not. And mostly its just trying to spin and deflect. I saw some Hannity interview where he basically just refused to talk about this and yelled about Biden raising taxes and the NY Governor composting people. They're reeling.

Old Surly posted:

Hasn't the whole "fentanyl comes from BIDENS OPEN MEXICO BORDER" been partially debunked? Its mostly comes from the ports?

We're not dealing with the people who care about facts.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Down with the current HFC, bring on the new HFC -- Hillary loving Clinton

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Edward Mass posted:

Unless there is some bipartisan pick that enough Democrats and non-HFC Republicans can agree to compromise on, we’re going to breeze past 133 votes for speaker. Just a gut feeling.

Yeah, that only takes like a month and a half of this at the current rate. The weak link is probably McCarthy, he's the one taking pressure here. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Old Surly posted:

Open Mexican border Fent is stockpiled until Halloween. A "B" is then scratched on it before handing it out to children alongside stickers soaked in LSD.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand are they ending one vote and immediately going into it again?

What's the plan, hope enough peoples fingers slip and they accidentally vote McCarthy?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Can they just vote for the baby?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Honest question: if there is no Speaker of the House by the State of the Union address, who sits by the Vice President?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Old Surly posted:

It depends on what you mean since port has two different meanings here. If you're talking land vs sea: the primary supplier for black market fentanyl is illicit Chinese factories which is usually smuggled out of china via India and into the US through either through the Mexican or Canadian land borders with the Sinaloa and Jalisco Cartel being the two major importers.

If you're referring to the idea of people just hauling fentanyl in across the open desert which would stop if they just built a wall vs going through an actual port of entry then yes because its usually hidden among legit cargo going through ports of entry with San Diego being the most popular as its the second busiest international border crossing in the world and there's simply too much traffic to do a thorough inspection of everything coming through. A guy going through the desert by his lonesome is easy to spot, a truck of candy that's one of 200,000 vehicles that needs to be inspected hides easily.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

Honest question: if there is no Speaker of the House by the State of the Union address, who sits by the Vice President?

Also technically wouldn't the house not sit for it because they haven't been fully sworn in?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Popete posted:

I don't understand are they ending one vote and immediately going into it again?

What's the plan, hope enough peoples fingers slip and they accidentally vote McCarthy?

the only alternative to another vote is adjourning, which requires a majority, and the HFC and the democrats aren't out of popcorn yet

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Edward Mass posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't have a State of the Union. The chamber is controlled by the Speaker and she has to invite the President for the SotU, IIRC.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Popete posted:

They can literally only do votes or adjourn, and the chaos caucus and the Dems are fine just doing votes foe a while and aren't willing to adjourn yet

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Fun fact, the House has to invite the President to the state of the Union.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

tecnocrat posted:

Yeah, that's a way to get the job done. Imply that the Dems are drinking on the floor.

There's no rules against it at the moment and being day drunk while McCarthy is humiliated for a sixth time sounds like a good time to me.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mooseontheloose posted:

Well, there we go, a July 4th State of the Union.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

Get ready for CNN's live coverage of "So Here's How We're Doing This Year" 2023 with Joe Biden, live from the White House lawn.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BDawg posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't have a State of the Union. The chamber is controlled by the Speaker and she has to invite the President for the SotU, IIRC.

Biden and the Senate could just crash the House, and hold the SotU anyway. It might be distracting to hear the House Memebers-elect not voting in McCarthy 4 times during the speech though.

Without a Speaker, and thus no rules, maybe Biden will have Major sit where the Speaker usually sits.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Tucker has said that chaos is good actually and means we live in a democracy, implying the non-HFC people are authoritarian soviet fans, Ben Shapiro has said that it’s stupid since the only thing the house can really do without the senate or presidency is roadblock Biden which literally anyone can do, hannity has said it’s embarrassing and makes republicans look bad

Most of the C-listers (Hugh Hewitt, Judge Jeanine, etc.) are rolling their eyes and muttering, "Just elect McCarthy already and move on." Master Shake went on a Twitter tirade about how stupid this protest is and how disingenuous the twenty are, and has the usual suspects calling him a globalist uniparty shill and a Ukraine simp and a bought-and-paid-for swamp creature.

Popete posted:

Again, there is literally nothing else that the chamber CAN do unless someone brings up a different motion (such as to adjourn). The attending clerks have only one option, barring other input, which is to rerun this until a Speaker is elected or until #ChipRoyDeathRally claims sufficient lives.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Youth Decay posted:

christ what a shitshow, I thought at least the clerk can enforce this?
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1610734107062829072

since there are no rules about cellphones either right now, they can just record it :getin:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Technically there's nothing mandating the address has to be in the House Chambers, so Biden could just have everyone over to a barbecue on the Ellipse and deliver it there.

Also nothing saying it has to be annually though, nor a speech at all. You could do a email blast every couple years and that would still fulfill the consitutional requirement

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1610742725329944617
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1610739769931071512

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

If you're referring to the idea of people just hauling fentanyl in across the open desert which would stop if they just built a wall vs going through an actual port of entry then yes because its usually hidden among legit cargo going through ports of entry with San Diego being the most popular as its the second busiest international border crossing in the world and there's simply too much traffic to do a thorough inspection of everything coming through. A guy going through the desert by his lonesome is easy to spot, a truck of candy that's one of 200,000 vehicles that needs to be inspected hides easily.

Yeah thats the way they always seem to frame it. Its Mexicans hauling it across the border in backpacks.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gyges posted:

Open Mexican border Fent is stockpiled until Halloween. A "B" is then scratched on it before handing it out to children alongside stickers soaked in LSD.

I wish they'd handed out acid when I was young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It would be quite the service to the nation if McCarthy failing the 1000th vote for Speaker killed our dumbass addiction to live speech versions of the State of the Union.