Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Anyone else have a problem where they have saved and exited to title, then quit the game to do something else only to find that the game did not, in fact, save your progress and the old save is still present? I'm really annoyed I lost almost a couple seasons of progress and sorely tempted to just raise the drawbridge and tunnel into the volcano out of sheer spite.

Buschmaki posted:

How do I channel through an aquifer? I wanna dig out a wagon path straight down a light aquifer for wagons and cant figure it out. Will I have to dig a like, 3x6 area around my intended path and then wall that off and channel down?
The important thing is to make sure your wagon path doesn't have any remaining aquifer tiles in the z level directly above it. Aquifers drain through their floors, in addition to horizontally. You'll end up with mud everywhere if you don't take care of it. That being said, if you don't mind the mud, carving a ramp up from two levels below the aquifer will provide a built in occasional mister, especially if the area you created the leak is large enough that the water evaporates before it can build up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Tuna-Fish posted:

I believe some of the world generation presets have it a lot higher.

You want to select 'region' instead of 'island' in advanced world generation. They're VERY shallow - I hit my first cavern at like 15z

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Pickled Tink posted:

Anyone else have a problem where they have saved and exited to title, then quit the game to do something else only to find that the game did not, in fact, save your progress and the old save is still present? I'm really annoyed I lost almost a couple seasons of progress and sorely tempted to just raise the drawbridge and tunnel into the volcano out of sheer spite.

Double check your saves; I had a couple of instances where my active save wasn't the default load, my most recent was behind some manual saves.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tuna-Fish posted:

You can move the ore down much faster by dumping it down a deep shaft. The only part that's hard about this is making sure no-one comes to pick some up when it's being dropped.

gently caress I can't believe I didn't think of this, I spent so long trying to get hand-moved minecarts working across z-levels without running away from dwarves and poo poo and I could have just dumped a quantum stockpile on a retracting bridge and dropped it

christ almighty

e: I wonder how feasible it is to use pumped water and grates to conveyor items to a safe pickup spot

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 4, 2023

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Is there any real benefit to making your fortress super deep (other than magma access)? I have everything set up pretty nicely with a moat around my entrance, and I don't see how cutting down mushroom trees in a monster-infested cave is any better than on the surface, especially if I'm gonna have to go all the way up there for trading anyway

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Even for magma the mine cart trick is just as easy

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Friend posted:

Is there any real benefit to making your fortress super deep (other than magma access)? I have everything set up pretty nicely with a moat around my entrance, and I don't see how cutting down mushroom trees in a monster-infested cave is any better than on the surface, especially if I'm gonna have to go all the way up there for trading anyway

For me, it was just the magma (not only for smelters, but also for deathtraps).

I also made a route down for the caravans from the surface all the way to my trade depo at -120 z levels, and I don't really use wood for anything anymore.

Also, like many things in Dwarf Fortress, part of the reason was just to see if I could.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I was about to ask about moving magma a short-ish distance while reading through the thread, and turns out that's exactly where the topic is right now.

I've made a drop from level +18 to -116 and want to turn it into a garbage chute. On the lower level it's close to a gem-studded pillar, which has a bunch of magma pockets inside. (I've accessed those from above and built some various magma workshops.) Do anyone know if those magma pockets refill from below, or there is only the magma I see and no more?

At first I thought I might be able to bucket brigade it if I had magma-safe buckets, but of course you can't do that. (This isn't Minecraft.) Then maybe a minecart, but after carving out the track seen above and preparing a cart and route, I realize there also isn't a way to have a cart filled from a level below.

I will need to bring the magma up a level or two with a pump, and then drop it into a cart, right?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bold Robot posted:

What are the recommended world gen settings for more open caverns? I know they got posted at some point.

In addition to this world gen question, is there a setting for mineral density/scarcity that I'm missing?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bold Robot posted:

In addition to this world gen question, is there a setting for mineral density/scarcity that I'm missing?
in advanced world gen: literally named mineral scarcity

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

I've made a drop from level +18 to -116 and want to turn it into a garbage chute. On the lower level it's close to a gem-studded pillar, which has a bunch of magma pockets inside. (I've accessed those from above and built some various magma workshops.) Do anyone know if those magma pockets refill from below, or there is only the magma I see and no more?

I think only directly-attached-to-the-magma-sea pockets refill by way of flow from the map edges, I may be wrong about the mechanics of that though

nielsm posted:

At first I thought I might be able to bucket brigade it if I had magma-safe buckets, but of course you can't do that. (This isn't Minecraft.) Then maybe a minecart, but after carving out the track seen above and preparing a cart and route, I realize there also isn't a way to have a cart filled from a level below.

I will need to bring the magma up a level or two with a pump, and then drop it into a cart, right?

I think the usual methodology is making a magma-safe track, releasing magma flow across that, and shoving the cart down through it and back out the other side-- I'm fairly certain nothing dropped on a cart actually goes into the cart. (That said, this is like minecraft in that a dwarf can then pick up the magma-filled cart, so be careful about keeping track of which ones you fill and which ones you attach to other tracks later)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

I was not expecting a hydra to get caught in a cage trap. I was especially not expecting it to be trainable.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If they're gonna have fire and smoke work the way it does, at least let me craft the irondrake masks from warhammer. :colbert:

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 4, 2023

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think the usual methodology is making a magma-safe track, releasing magma flow across that, and shoving the cart down through it and back out the other side-- I'm fairly certain nothing dropped on a cart actually goes into the cart. (That said, this is like minecraft in that a dwarf can then pick up the magma-filled cart, so be careful about keeping track of which ones you fill and which ones you attach to other tracks later)

Dropping magma on top of minecarts does fill them with magma. You can just pump the magma into a room filled with carts and when the magma is drained one way or the other you should have a bunch of magma-filled carts, provided the carts are magma-safe of course. In my experience this works even if the carts are just sitting in a stockpile, they don't need to be on a track or anything.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Tuna-Fish posted:

You can move the ore down much faster by dumping it down a deep shaft. The only part that's hard about this is making sure no-one comes to pick some up when it's being dropped.

Alternatively, if you want magma workshops near the surface, the amounts of magma needed for workshop are best moved in minecarts.

Make sure non of your stockpiles can accept iron minecarts. Make a tile you can pump magma onto, and pump magma out of. Make a stockpile next to it, add some wheelbarrows to that stockpile, and then allow iron minecarts in it. Your dwarves will use the wheelbarrows to haul empty minecarts there. designate the tile that can be filled with magma as a dump, and dump the iron minecarts. After they are all there, pump magma in, and disallow iron minecarts from the low stockpile.

Make an another stockpile that can accept iron minecarts near your destination, and add magma-safe wheelbarrows to it. Once they have been hauled, pump magma out of the magma pit, and reclaim the dumped minecarts. They are now full of magma, and really hot. Your dwarves will use the magma-safe wheelbarrows to haul them to the stockpile. The reason for this dance of stockpiles is that you probably don't want the dwarves hauling the full minecarts without track or wheelbarrows, because they are really loving heavy and it will take absolutely forever. If a dwarf is hauling the minecart without track or wheelbarrow, they will carry it, instead of pushing it. If a minecart full of magma is hauled in a wooden wheelbarrow, it can catch on fire. Nethercap wheelbarrows might be safe, dunno.

Dig 1-square pits for your workshops, under the tile that the workshop blocks (so top center for smelters and kilns, middle side for forges). make a track stop next to the pit, that dumps into the pit. Make a hauling route, add that track stop as a stop, and add a minecart to the route. When a dwarf hauls it there, it will dump it's contents into the pit. You need 4 units of magma, or two minecarts for each pit.

I believe some of the world generation presets have it a lot higher.

Wouldn't it make the most sense to use minecarts to dump large amounts of smelted ore ready for working down to the magma forges? I've not had a chance to start messing with them but it seems like a prime use case. That and moving wood from the surface down to your main industrial areas.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think the usual methodology is making a magma-safe track, releasing magma flow across that, and shoving the cart down through it and back out the other side-- I'm fairly certain nothing dropped on a cart actually goes into the cart.

No. Having a tile with minecarts in it and filling it with magma will fill up the carts. I have done this dozens of times in old DF and once in the new one. All you need for the simple setup is a pump that pumps into a single ramp tile, and a second pump that pumps the square empty after the minecarts are full.

Warbird posted:

Wouldn't it make the most sense to use minecarts to dump large amounts of smelted ore ready for working down to the magma forges? I've not had a chance to start messing with them but it seems like a prime use case. That and moving wood from the surface down to your main industrial areas.

Smelting takes either fuel or magma. If you are not bringing magma to the surface, just dump the ore down deep. And if you make, say, 4 carts, you can do 2 smelters, 2 glass kilns and 2 forges in 3 trips, instead of the dozens of trips needed for the ore/bars.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
I love the idea of a hundred Z level pit for dumping ore down to my magma forge level.
I like symmetry so I'll make a second pit for goblins.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Magil Zeal posted:

Dropping magma on top of minecarts does fill them with magma. You can just pump the magma into a room filled with carts and when the magma is drained one way or the other you should have a bunch of magma-filled carts, provided the carts are magma-safe of course. In my experience this works even if the carts are just sitting in a stockpile, they don't need to be on a track or anything.

Tuna-Fish posted:

No. Having a tile with minecarts in it and filling it with magma will fill up the carts. I have done this dozens of times in old DF and once in the new one. All you need for the simple setup is a pump that pumps into a single ramp tile, and a second pump that pumps the square empty after the minecarts are full.

hot drat, nice

I don't have anything to abuse this with yet but I feel like I need to abuse it on principle

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

How do you effectively dump goblins/other caged enemies? Lever to unlock the cage then lever to blow out the floor? I dumped a caged ant man in the river but he never drowned

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
PUBLIC SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you are doing large vertical drops to transport cargo down Z levels, you should have a hatch just above the bottom stockpile (and make sure the hatch cannot be reached after it's constructed and linked) and a pair of sequential doors at the entrance to said stockpile. The inner door and the hatch should be on alternating logic, so that only one of them is ever opened, and the outer door should be manually locked and unlocked as needed to make sure no dwarf is inside the stockpile during the state transition.

You have been warned.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

johnny park posted:

How do you effectively dump goblins/other caged enemies? Lever to unlock the cage then lever to blow out the floor? I dumped a caged ant man in the river but he never drowned

I usually use one of two different methods. Either dig a really deep hole and designate it as a pit, then assign the caged entities to it, or install their cages in a room, connect them all to a lever, station your militia nearby, and pull it.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Captives can break free when being dragged to pits iirc, so set your cage stockpile close to the drop.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Welp. Time to build a wall.
(BnL theme from WallE plays in my head)

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Just drop the loving rocks on the dwarf heads. Haulers are peasants anyway, it'll save the hammerer some work and more will show up to mooch off of the fort's mountainhome-level wealth

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

It bears mentioning that lower number = more frequent.

DF Wiki posted:

The options "Very Rare", "Rare", "Sparse", "Frequent", and "Everywhere" in the basic world generation menu use the values 50000, 10000, 2500, 500 and 100 respectively.

I've been liking 1500, which is just scarce enough that mineral-rich embarks tend to be in more fun locations, especially after a few hundred years of history.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 5, 2023

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I bought a giant jaguar from the elves and let it roam free in my fort, and this guy is so insanely fast, it's hilarious.
I'll be inspecting some area or designating some buildings or mining, and suddenly this guy just comes zooming past the screen at mach 3.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
do you have diagrams/screenshots of the minecart magma setup? I'm having trouble visualizing it

e: actually I think it's mostly clear, I just don't know how minecarts work so I'll have to do some reading to get the final step

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 5, 2023

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Jinnigan posted:

1. when you start building your fort do you have a planned layout already? just making it up as you go?

2. what are your priorities for getting "set up"? farms, workshops, dorm? some other order? just curious how you think through "progressing" your fort

1: no, but I always make hallways/doorways/bedrooms the same way

2: I like selling meals to trade in my forts. So I bring a few different foods and drinks on the embark, as well as a decent chef, in order to get cooking quickly.

-Designate food stockpile, furniture stockpile, pen for grazing animals, trees to chop, first area to mine, plants and fruit to gather
-Build a Carpenter's Workshop, make a wood stockpile, and make the first 7 beds. Dig out the first Dormitory room and put all the beds in there
-Dig out an underground farm area and slap down a few plots. Build a Still and a Kitchen and a Farmer's Workshop in here. Move food stockpile to this area. Make drinks and meals on repeat (after designating what you want cooked and brewed first of course)
-Dig out an office for the Manager
-Slap down a Trade Depot and a Mechanic's workshop and a Stonemason's workshop or two
-Create mechanisms and wooden cages for cage traps in chokepoints
-Start digging deeper, dig out dining room/bedrooms/tavern/barracks
-Start creating walls and removing ramps outside the fort. I like to do make walls with stone blocks of a single type, but it is much quicker to just use wood

And that covers the basics. This can all be done with the first 7 dwarves and after that I head into mining ores and smithing, digging to the caverns, noble housing, guildhalls and temples, etc

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

cheetah7071 posted:

do you have diagrams/screenshots of the minecart magma setup? I'm having trouble visualizing it

e: actually I think it's mostly clear, I just don't know how minecarts work so I'll have to do some reading to get the final step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlpj9qimx4s

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The youtuber is making some questionable choices there. It's a good idea to make the "fill-up chamber" just a single tile with a ramp. That way, you can instantly fill it by one screw pump, and instantly empty it with another. Placing the minecarts in this tile is easiest by dumping them.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Putnam, the new programmer, recommends disabling cavern dwellers as they cause a save corruption bug right now. This is per BlindIRL's stream just a few moments ago.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Does metal quality (eg copper vs iron vs steel) affect mining speed?

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

I can embark with thirty barrels of prepared mayfly brain and yet gelding doesn't produce an edible item.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

johnny park posted:

Does metal quality (eg copper vs iron vs steel) affect mining speed?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, just mining skill. Probably affects damage when used as a weapon, though

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Porkness posted:

I can embark with thirty barrels of prepared mayfly brain and yet gelding doesn't produce an edible item.

Dwarven gum

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
How do I assign rooms to an inn?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do I disable cave spawns and the never ending forgotten beast parade?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Lucinice posted:

How do I assign rooms to an inn?

Create the inn, make a mental note of what it's called, make the bedroom, assign the bedroom to the inn instead of to a dwarf

Whether or not it actually does anything is an open question, I've had no visitors ever use them, just dwarves claim them if I don't assign them other bedrooms fast enough

Baronjutter posted:

How do I disable cave spawns and the never ending forgotten beast parade?

Settings -> Difficulty -> Custom settings, adjust to taste

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
This happens if 'cull unimportant historical figures' is turned on in world generation I think. Culled historical figures just become 'unknown creatures'.