Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

euphronius posted:

I would have been the best clubhouse guy. That was my skill

but do you have grit or even moxie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If the Cubs needed a clubhouse guy and leader I know of one Descalso, Daniel who may be willing to come out of retirement and hit like poo poo for them as well!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Eric Hosmer is a a pretty big offensive upgrade for the Cubs and he costs nothing, it makes total sense.
If I were a Cubs fan I'd be more upset by the fact that this is true than anything else. Among 1B last year with at least 400 PA, Hosmer was 28th of 36 by fWAR and 24th by wRC+. He is a bad defender at one of the easiest defensive positions and is lucky to be a league-average bat these days.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

If I were a Cubs fan I'd be more upset by the fact that this is true than anything else. Among 1B last year with at least 400 PA, Hosmer was 28th of 36 by fWAR and 24th by wRC+. He is a bad defender at one of the easiest defensive positions and is lucky to be a league-average bat these days.

Yes thank you, I feel like Cubs fans have Stockholm syndrome at this point and any signing has to be twisted as good, actually. Hosmer sucks and there was zero need to bring him in. The Cubs have a 1B/DH prospect who broke AAA over his loving knee last year, and if you're worried about throwing him out as the starter immediately they could have platooned him with Wisdom who can also play 1B just fine and even sets up a nice R/L split platoon with Mervis. Give Morel 3B and a chance to prove he's gotten over his yips. We also have like fifty scrappy utility IF guys still on the roster, we absolutely did not have a need for Hosmer and anybody trying to claim otherwise is insane.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

If we're down to guys signing for the minimum and there haven't even been any rumors about Brandon Belt, then I guess the Giants really are moving on.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Doesn't change the fact that it's were the Cubs are right now, I was really hoping the Cubs would have signed Matt Olson last year but it didn't happen so here we are. We have "a guy" in the pipeline who hopefully can take Hosmers spot but he's coming off a breakout year in the minors were he whiplashed from A to AAA so it remains to be seen if he's ready this year and I'd be fine with the Cubs taking some time with him instead of thrusting him in as the everyday 1b with no backup.

Since the Cubs were clearly not in the market to buy a 1st basemen Hosmer is a decent pick up that costs them next to nothing.

Popete fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 4, 2023

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Cubs should have gotten Mancini instead

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Sydin posted:

Hosmer sucks and there was zero need to bring him in.

I've never liked him. I'm sure personally he's just fine, but I've never been wooed by any of his baseball talents. And he is an evil-looking man.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's still a small sample size, but I'm very surprised how much support guys like Beltran and Sheffield have gotten already.

https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/1610688602052374528?s=20&t=KhdWVufMLUoK2rq_sub5zg

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1610761844624396296?s=20&t=n2ajolrCA64XR4FsGAj7OQ

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1610761844624396296?s=20&t=Vw49D1L7B_2hhcUbthWRAA

E: i hate ihatepants

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's about time

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

MrMidnight posted:

Cubs should have gotten Mancini instead

Probably, but he would've been more expensive and the whole point is just to have someone better than Alfonso Rivas at 1B until Mervis comes up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Thank loving god they paid Raffy (those freaking dopes)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's still a small sample size, but I'm very surprised how much support guys like Beltran and Sheffield have gotten already.

https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/1610688602052374528?s=20&t=KhdWVufMLUoK2rq_sub5zg

Trash cans less bad than Roids confirmed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How are his ankles

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Explosionface posted:

I've never liked him. I'm sure personally he's just fine, but I've never been wooed by any of his baseball talents. And he is an evil-looking man.
Personally he's a chud like most mlb players, but in particular he's married to a Fox News talking head

He's also famously stubborn about coaching, having refused for over a decade to adjust his hitting approach to improve outcomes, instead continuing to hammer balls into the ground. He was a prime candidate for the flyball revolution, a guy who hits the ball very hard (or used to) but doesn't elevate it enough.

Doesn't seem like the kind of veteran I'd want around my young developing players but I'm just a poster on a dead internet forum not a baseball-quant

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 4, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Trash cans less bad than Roids confirmed
Sheffield is a weird one to me because he's one of the BALCO guys.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Holy poo poo Andruw Jones might actually make it on one of the next few ballots??? That rules

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I know Andruw Jones was an elite defender for a decade but if you do this at age 31 I'm sorry I'm gonna have a hard time seeing you as a Hall of Famer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bawfuls posted:

I know Andruw Jones was an elite defender for a decade but if you do this at age 31 I'm sorry I'm gonna have a hard time seeing you as a Hall of Famer.

Somehow he played for 5 more seasons after that

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Somehow he played for 5 more seasons after that
4, with a 108 OPS+ and a total of 3.3 bWAR over those seasons

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are there other dudes who (possibly) played themselves out of the hall with an atrocious few years to close out their careers?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Andruw Jones deserves to be in for the same reason Ozzie Smith is in. Isn't he the all-time leader in defensive runs saved?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Always happy to see a small market team like the Red Sox finally buckle down and pay one of their home grown stars.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Andruw Jones deserves to be in for the same reason Ozzie Smith is in. Isn't he the all-time leader in defensive runs saved?
He's not the CF equivalent of Ozzie Smith. Jones' last year as a plus defender was age 30, his dWAR column goes negative at that point. Ozzie Smith stays positive all the way to age 41, including elite years at 35 and 37. Ozzie Smith won a Gold Glove at 37 years old. At that age Jones was 2 years out of baseball.

I am an obviously biased Andruw Jones hater because I vividly remember that absolutely brutal year in LA. But man it was really bad and I just don't think a Hall of Famer should be that bad at only 31.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 4, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol at the Mets, good lord

Are they counting losing Judge and resigning him for the NYY? (e: it's yes, so more like a net of 9 WAR)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Yes thank you, I feel like Cubs fans have Stockholm syndrome at this point and any signing has to be twisted as good, actually. Hosmer sucks and there was zero need to bring him in. The Cubs have a 1B/DH prospect who broke AAA over his loving knee last year, and if you're worried about throwing him out as the starter immediately they could have platooned him with Wisdom who can also play 1B just fine and even sets up a nice R/L split platoon with Mervis. Give Morel 3B and a chance to prove he's gotten over his yips. We also have like fifty scrappy utility IF guys still on the roster, we absolutely did not have a need for Hosmer and anybody trying to claim otherwise is insane.

They just don't seem to have a plan. If you're rebuilding, let Mervis play 1B and Morel play 3B. Wisdom can slot in when needed at both positions. Give each guy 500 PAs this season to see if they can be a starter.

It's not that Hosmer sucks, it's that he doesn't help them long term. The absolute best case scenario is he has a decent year and they trade him at the deadline. Although a DH probably doesn't have much value in the trade market unless they're just mashing the hell out of the ball. So all it does is take at-bats from young players and I guess give the veneer that they are trying to win.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 4, 2023

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Cubs had a better offseason than the Mets. You heard it from Fangraphs. :cool:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cubs win the off-season :smug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hang it from the uh rafters

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Are they counting losing Judge and resigning him for the NYY? (e: it's yes, so more like a net of 9 WAR)
This graph feels like the 'ADD UP THE WARS' graphic from a few years ago

You can't say that the Giants have a better rotation now than they did last year when they had Rodon on the staff.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hosmer costs $700K a year who the gently caress cares if he ends up sucking? I much prefer signing Hosmer until Mervis comes up to the Cubs giving an enormous overpay offer to the oft-injured Anthony Rizzo, who was the best 1B on the market this offseason.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

zoux posted:

How did the Phillies lose almost 9 war? Are they counting Thor's Angels stats?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Or we could have paid Jose Abreu to play a few years on a non-competitive team.

If the Cubs were going to sign a 1b long term it had to happen last year with either Olson or Freeman.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

This graph feels like the 'ADD UP THE WARS' graphic from a few years ago

You can't say that the Giants have a better rotation now than they did last year when they had Rodon on the staff.
That's not really the point of the piece, which is titled The Dodgers Have Had a Strange Offseason

The point is that the Dodgers have let a lot of guys walk without really reinforcing the loss much, and for the first time in awhile they don't look like the deepest and most resilient roster in the game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Hosmer costs $700K a year who the gently caress cares if he ends up sucking? I much prefer signing Hosmer until Mervis comes up to the Cubs giving an enormous overpay offer to the oft-injured Anthony Rizzo, who was the best 1B on the market this offseason.

He's gonna be the new Ortega, the old rear end guy who doesn't factor into the team plans at all that Ross inexplicably gives a billion AB's to because ~matchups~ while sitting interesting young guys who might actually contribute down the road to an eventual competing Cubs team.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Cubs entering 2023 did not have a 1st baseman. Even if you think Mervis is getting called up this year (seems unlikely to make the opening day roster) we needed somebody besides Patrick Wisdom. Hosmer is an upgrade over what we had which was nothing and it cost nothing.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
and every time we trotted out other Interesting Young Guys who failed at the major league level we were clamoring for them to go back to AAA to get experience mashing against inferior talent to get their confidence up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bawfuls posted:

That's not really the point of the piece, which is titled The Dodgers Have Had a Strange Offseason

The point is that the Dodgers have let a lot of guys walk without really reinforcing the loss much, and for the first time in awhile they don't look like the deepest and most resilient roster in the game.
The Dodgers definitely got worse, that's no question. I still think they win the NL West though. It will just be closer than last year. They did take the division by 22 games so there is a cushion, and while the Padres got better their pitching is still just OK.