Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My main concern (other than their continued employment of a sexual assailant) is that the roster is clearly shallower than it's been in recent years. They lack the depth and flexibility to weather bad luck, injury or otherwise. Could they win the division and a championship? Sure, but they'll need to get luckier than they have in past years to do that.

The whole ethos of this front office appeared to be resilience, building a roster that can withstand anything. Lose your top 4 starters to injury for months at a time? No problem, we've got enough arms to get through it. But now they have clearly chosen resetting the luxury tax penalty over that insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah the Cubs aren’t contenders so wasting money doesn’t make sense. And while rebuilding with prospects is the basic right approach you also can’t force that. So having no cost veterans to fill ABs and see what they can add seems fine. It’s not great obviously but expecting Cubs fans to be mad about adding someone for nothing because it doesn’t help their overall picture seems silly. They know what the state of the team is. I’m sure they got mad at the appropriate time. What’s the point of projecting it onto every move?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I’m sure they got mad at the appropriate time.

cubsposting.txt

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

The Cubs entering 2023 did not have a 1st baseman. Even if you think Mervis is getting called up this year (seems unlikely to make the opening day roster) we needed somebody besides Patrick Wisdom. Hosmer is an upgrade over what we had which was nothing and it cost nothing.

The Cubs have a billion utility infield guys who can play better defense at 1B than Hosmer (not saying much), will probably hit about as well (read: like poo poo) and hopefully aren't raging unwritten rules assholes like Hosmer is.

Dogshit signing, feel free to @ me if he's hitting well by midseason but we all know that's not going to happen.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Re the Hosmer debate I’m just glad the Cubs didn’t get Josh Bell. Watching him hit nukes in Cub Blue against whatever Bryse Wilson clone Cherington trotted out there would have cut my days short.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

The Cubs have a billion utility infield guys who can play better defense at 1B than Hosmer (not saying much), will probably hit about as well (read: like poo poo) and hopefully aren't raging unwritten rules assholes like Hosmer is.

Dogshit signing, feel free to @ me if he's hitting well by midseason but we all know that's not going to happen.

I can't think of anyone except maybe Wisdom who I suspect will be as good as Hosmer offensively at 1b. Again Hosmer is not going to make this team competitive it's just a perfectly fine ":shrug: sure I guess" signing because we are in need of a competent 1b and Hosmer is that, if it doesn't work out it cost league minimum dollars. Beyond speculating on Mervis losing out on playing time to Hosmer which is a big ? to begin with there really is nothing to be mad about.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Brewers just picked up Bryse Wilson and signed Wade Miley. They already have sixth starters essentially so would think one of them is about to be moved. I don’t think they would move Burnes or Woodruff yet so probably Lauer, maybe Houser but I don’t think he would get much in return.

I wouldn’t be mad about signing Hosmer but I find it hard to believe there’s not a better vet option or a AAAA guy that wouldn’t be better.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin gets it

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

zoux posted:

Lol at the Mets, good lord

Are they counting losing Judge and resigning him for the NYY? (e: it's yes, so more like a net of 9 WAR)

Absolutely incredible how the Mariners are the only team to "add" negative WAR in free agency by signing Trevor Gott.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh boy here comes another soft tossing lefty who'll win like six games against the Cubs this year:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1610779463851163649

Popete posted:

Beyond speculating on Mervis losing out on playing time to Hosmer which is a big ? to begin with there really is nothing to be mad about.

Yeah why be mad, personally I am thankful that the poor small market Cubs were able to squeeze in the league minimum on the books to bring in a guy who sucks so bad that two other teams said "lol no thanks."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You're making an assumption the Mervis is getting called up this year, if he regresses after having a single breakout year in the minors and the Cubs don't call him up then we have zero first basemen.

If the Cubs were serious about signing a 1b it would've happened last year with either Olson or Freeman and I think they should have gotten Olson but that didn't happen so this is where we are.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I definitely get concerned when a guy who has had one quality season in the minors is being pushed into a big-league role already

Hosmer at least gives you a little breathing room, even if he's pretty poo poo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

You're making an assumption the Mervis is getting called up this year, if he regresses after having a single breakout year in the minors and the Cubs don't call him up then we have zero first basemen.

I don't get the "zero first basemen" thing even if you assume Mervis isn't coming up. McKinstry is a lefty and can play 1B just fine. Mastrobouni or whatever the gently caress his name is can also play 1B. Wisdom can play 1B and honestly absent Mervis or Hosmer I fully expected him to move there full time this season, he was an absolute butcher at 3B last year. Bellinger can also play 1B and actually came up as a first baseman, considering the Cubs have a trillion OF prospects it would not have surprised me to see him take some 1B/DH reps to give some of the OF guys a cup of coffee now and then. Like you are making it sound like there was some horrible crisis at 1B and there... really wasn't, at all. We just now have yet another washed up lefty who can't do anything but roll over to 2B, except instead of at least being good at giving speeches the new guy likes to chew out young players for having too much fun.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
None of those guys are long term solutions at 1b for the Cubs and they're all worse than Hosmer who is a bonafide everyday 1b you can depend on even if he isn't great defensively and has a meh bat. Might as well pick up the best player you can that also costs nothing if you're gonna be waiting for prospects anyways.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Look. Devers is a really good player so it's good to keep him on your team but out of him Bogaerts and Betts I think he's the 3rd best player.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

None of those guys are long term solutions at 1b for the Cubs and they're all worse than Hosmer who is a bonafide everyday 1b you can depend on even if he isn't great defensively and has a meh bat. Might as well pick up the best player you can that also costs nothing if you're gonna be waiting for prospects anyways.

Hosmer is not a "long term" solution for anything, lol.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Hosmer is not a "long term" solution for anything, lol.

I never said he was, we have no long term solution at 1b except a prospect coming off of a single breakout year in the minors. So who cares if we play Hosmer for a year?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also Wisdom is not worse than Hosmer by pretty much any meaningful metric.

e.

Popete posted:

I never said he was, we have no long term solution at 1b except a prospect coming off of a single breakout year in the minors. So who cares if we play Hosmer for a year?

Because he doesn't meaningfully upgrade the team in any way and based on how he conducted himself in SD I think he's a lovely guy to have around young and fun guys like Morel. Like yeah I'm high on Mervis and think he's gonna ascend this year but even taking him out of the equation it's still a headscratcher.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you don't like Hosmer or think he will have some negative impact on the young Cubs prospects, fair enough. Depends how much stock you put into all that but I still see him as an all around upgrade (albeit minor) over the black hole we had at 1b last year.

Quite honestly the signing doesn't deserve this much thread attention, it's a big ol' :shrug:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

I don't get the "zero first basemen" thing even if you assume Mervis isn't coming up. McKinstry is a lefty and can play 1B just fine. Mastrobouni or whatever the gently caress his name is can also play 1B. Wisdom can play 1B and honestly absent Mervis or Hosmer I fully expected him to move there full time this season, he was an absolute butcher at 3B last year. Bellinger can also play 1B and actually came up as a first baseman, considering the Cubs have a trillion OF prospects it would not have surprised me to see him take some 1B/DH reps to give some of the OF guys a cup of coffee now and then. Like you are making it sound like there was some horrible crisis at 1B and there... really wasn't, at all. We just now have yet another washed up lefty who can't do anything but roll over to 2B, except instead of at least being good at giving speeches the new guy likes to chew out young players for having too much fun.

2022 OPS+s:

Eric Hosmer 108
Zach McKinstry 78
Miles Mastrobuoni 27
Patrick Wisdom 102
Cody Bellinger 78

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lol saying we shouldn't sign Hosmer because we could be playing Wisdom is terminal cubs brain

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
When climate change brings summer winds to Chicago in mid April, the shift is banned and Hosmer is no longer in Petco, we can probably pencil him in for like 60 homers

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I missed that Carpenter signed with the Padres. I was gonna suggest the Cubs sign him and just go full Major League strategy with their roster. Just low cost castoffs your throw at the wall for a season. Have fun with it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

Are they counting losing Judge and resigning him for the NYY? (e: it's yes, so more like a net of 9 WAR)

How do you get to nine net WAR when it offsets from both sides

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Julio Cruz posted:

2022 OPS+s:

Eric Hosmer 108
Zach McKinstry 78
Miles Mastrobuoni 27
Patrick Wisdom 102
Cody Bellinger 78

Hosmer's 108 OPS+ is entirely bouyed by an insanely hot 80 PA stretch in April, he was a well below league average hitter for the rest of the season: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=hosmeer01&year=2022&t=b#month

Poque posted:

Lol saying we shouldn't sign Hosmer because we could be playing Wisdom is terminal cubs brain

Cubs brain is nodding approvingly at the Cubs signing the corpse of Hosmer because you're so used to cheap dumpster dives at this point that hey maybe this is the one that will finally pan out!

If the Cubs genuinely don't think Mervis is ready then they should have gone out and gotten somebody who doesn't loving suck to fill the role. Why even throw money at Swanson or Taillon if when it comes round to 1B they're not willing to go in any harder than a guy who's absolute most silver lining is "eh maybe he'll get hot and we can flip him".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Anyway sorry I will stop posting about this, please see below for any further inquires in my feelings on the Hosmer deal:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Nobody thinks Hosmer will pan out as a 2023 championship piece. Nobody should think his signing is blocking one, either

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

How do you get to nine net WAR when it offsets from both sides

Well you don't think about it first and realize it later and hope no one notices

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

Hosmer's 108 OPS+ is entirely bouyed by an insanely hot 80 PA stretch in April, he was a well below league average hitter for the rest of the season: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=hosmeer01&year=2022&t=b#month

this is mcmagic levels of "his stats were good but he was still actually bad"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

this is mcmagic levels of "his stats were good but he was still actually bad"

I mean...

I'm not going to argue he didn't have a better year than other Cubs that's definitely much more about them than it is about Hosmer.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean...

I'm not going to argue he didn't have a better year than other Cubs that's definitely much more about them than it is about Hosmer.

I'm not saying he didn't have a hot start, I'm saying that you can't just handwave his hot start away and pretend it didn't count for anything

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I like how much Cubs fans apparently refuse to listen to Padres fans about Hosmer. They had to watch him for four and a half years and uniformly hate his guts. Someone even took the time to make a lowlights video of his time there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfvsh8vrEl4.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Hosmer wasn't even the worst player on the Padres last year

1.1bWAR in 369 PA with the Padres, Luke Voit put up 0.7 in 344

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

I will fight you for Luke's honor sir!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
god those white caps were diabolically bad

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Not complaining because just posting is the true way to enlightenment but did anyone think there would be this much conversation about fuckin' Eric Hosmer in this thread this offseason?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mcmagic posted:

Look. Devers is a really good player so it's good to keep him on your team but out of him Bogaerts and Betts I think he's the 3rd best player.

Obviously Mookie's by far and away the best of the three, but that ship's long sailed. Between Raffy and Xander, ehhhhh. Xander's a bit better at getting on base/hitting for average, but Raffy has more power. And neither of them is a great defender. The big difference is Raffy's quite a bit younger, and I personally feel far more confident handing a 26 year old an eleven year deal than I do a 30 year old.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Gerblederp posted:

Not complaining because just posting is the true way to enlightenment but did anyone think there would be this much conversation about fuckin' Eric Hosmer in this thread this offseason?

never underestimate cubsposting

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

And yet I'd bet every Padres fan would take Voit back ten times out of ten before Hosmer. That's how infuriating he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Hand Row posted:

Brewers just picked up Bryse Wilson and signed Wade Miley. They already have sixth starters essentially so would think one of them is about to be moved. I don’t think they would move Burnes or Woodruff yet so probably Lauer, maybe Houser but I don’t think he would get much in return.

I wouldn’t be mad about signing Hosmer but I find it hard to believe there’s not a better vet option or a AAAA guy that wouldn’t be better.

Bryse Wilson is horrendous, I would be shocked if they use him as anything but quad-A spot starter depth