Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Kuiperdolin posted:

When he was 18 she was 10

This is from several pages back but I didn't see any follow up posts. Are you really trying to make a 40/48 age difference sound bad by comparing what their ages 30 years ago would have been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Edmund Sparkler posted:

This is from several pages back but I didn't see any follow up posts. Are you really trying to make a 40/48 age difference sound bad by comparing what their ages 30 years ago would have been?

It's a reference to another story posted in this thread about a teenager who was threatening to make a scene at a wedding by doing exactly that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I remember what part of the book I was at

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I doubt it's very happy if you keep squishing it inside books :(

Don't worry, it's a flat character.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

(F28) why did my boyfriend (M31) call me out in front of his (F) coworker like that?!

quote:

It was two hours after his shift and when I came home he was talking in hushed tones on the phone. He saw me and immediately hung up. I asked him who he was talking to as I normally do to start casual conversation. He just said “work”. So I inquired further to make sure everything was okay, as this type of curt response was very out of the ordinary for him. He then explained that it was work asking him if he was going to a work dinner, which was the first I heard about it. I asked about it a bit more and he became very defensive. He then showed me his phone to “prove it was work” and I saw literally 8 calls back and fourth from this “work friend” within the last half hour. I asked if he was going and why they seemed to have discussed it so many times. He said he didn’t know and then again defended himself and said he would call her in front of me to prove he’s not lying. I immediately started stuttering saying that no he didn’t have to do that, and then before I could try and stop him, he was already calling this girl. I sat with my jaw dropped as he put it on speaker and proceeded to call this unknown female coworker. She answered in a giggly tone and said “you better not be calling to tell me you aren’t coming to the dinner after all..” then he cut her off and proceeded to ask this girl to explain why she was contacting him because his “girlfriend was upset that they were talking and he needed proof of their convo. “... I literally sat there completely stunned in silence as this girl defended herself to me despite the fact that I never asked for any of this. I’m completely humiliated as this girl he works with knows a lot of people I grew up with and I can’t even imagine how uncomfortable that made her and what she’ll tell others about how I’m a crazy jealous girlfriend when I’m absolutely not . Why did he do this?! Please help.

Oh you sweet summer child...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Activate posted:

I usually fold the corner of the page inward, that works really well.

Nice, wonder if there's some visual metaphor for that.
Unless :thejoke:

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

PancakeTransmission posted:

I use the receipt as a bookmark. Otherwise I dogear the book. Who cares? Oh no, a bit of the whitespace has a crease!

If it's your book, no one cares. If you're reading one of my books, gently caress you, I care. Don't go putting dogears on other people's books.

One of my niblings lent my copy of "The curious case of the dog in the night time" for a reading assignment. About a year later I asked her to return it. She then confessed it was in a bad shape and that most of the cover has ripped off. I asked her how the hell that even happened, and she couldn't answer.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

PancakeTransmission posted:

I use the receipt as a bookmark. Otherwise I dogear the book. Who cares? Oh no, a bit of the whitespace has a crease!

It's a mass-printed book and after I read it, it'll likely sit on the shelf until I move house, then it'll sit in a packing box for a year, then back on a new shelf if I didn't donate it already.

If it's not your book, then you deserve the acid vat too.

sixth and maimed posted:

If it's your book, no one cares. If you're reading one of my books, gently caress you, I care. Don't go putting dogears on other people's books.
:respek:

sixth and maimed posted:

One of my niblings lent my copy of "The curious case of the dog in the night time" for a reading assignment. About a year later I asked her to return it. She then confessed it was in a bad shape and that most of the cover has ripped off. I asked her how the hell that even happened, and she couldn't answer.

A friend of mine has had my copy of Titus Andronicus for about 10 years now (I guess it's hers at this point?) when I lent it to her for her Masters thesis because she was going to write about Tamora. She also has my copy of The Stars My Destination. Zero concerns though, because I know she takes exceptional care of her books.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 5, 2023

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I've been dogearing all my life, it's a nice way to see where past me paused reading when I'm rereading my books. Books aren't sacrosanct, they're meant to be read. Buy a second copy if you just want to display them, idk

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's also possible to read a book without causing damage to it. "Reading" and "taking good care of the book" aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

If you're dogearing your own books, and only your books alone, then hey, more power to you. Just remind me to never let you near any of mine. But if you're doing it to books you've borrowed, be it from friends, family or the library, then that would make you a bit of a dick.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for uninviting my husband from my birthday trip?

quote:

For my birthday I really want to go to Egypt so I’ve been arranging a trip with a few friends of mine.

Originally my husband was invited on the trip but the reason I uninvited him is because his sister is my best friend and she mentioned how I never spend time with her anymore unless he’s there. She said I feel more like her brother’s wife than her childhood best friend now.

I felt bad for making her feel that way especially since I know she grew up feeling inadequate compared to him so I thought the birthday trip would be a great way for us to reconnect as my husband has already been to Egypt and he doesn’t enjoy doing the typical tourist things that I want to do.

When I mentioned it to him, though, he was upset. He said his sister needs to get over it because I am his wife now and that he would spend my birthday with me whether she liked it or not. We were originally going to pay for her to come on the trip but he’s refusing to now even though she can’t afford it otherwise which has caused multiple arguments between us.

AITA?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mx. posted:

AITA for uninviting my husband from my birthday trip?

I hate all of this.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kinda feel like this is something husband could have compromised a bit on.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Yeah, I don't lend books out any more. Best case, I get them back damaged. Worst case?

"What book?"
"I'm sure I gave that back already."
"Did I borrow a book from you?"
"Oh, my mom must have borrowed it from me. Well, you know I'm not talking to her right now, so obviously I can't get it back."

Only one I got back was the "I'm sure I gave that back already, a couple months after I'd given up and bought a replacement. The Stolen By Mom Book? Lost forever, and it was out of print. Fortunately there was a new and fancy edition a few years later, which I now own

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

best way to keep your place is to simply take the pages you have read and place them in a plastic bag, like so:

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
I used to lend out my books to a coworker but that ended when she got arrested, and plead guilty to, involuntary manslaughter. Fentanyl overdose, she just left the guy out on her porch overnight where he died. There was a hospital a quarter of a mile away. You could see part of it from her house.

I use receipts as bookmarks!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

teen witch posted:

I call my two tabbies “the Menendez Brothers” as they’ll be the death of me, their cat mom.

Better hope you don't find any basketball tickets laying around :ohdear:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My brother-in-law highlights any lines he finds interesting - not just in textbooks, literally any kind of book.
He'll easily do it multiple times in a single page.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Agaragon posted:

I used to lend out my books to a coworker but that ended when she got arrested, and plead guilty to, involuntary manslaughter. Fentanyl overdose, she just left the guy out on her porch overnight where he died. There was a hospital a quarter of a mile away. You could see part of it from her house.

Did you get your books back?

Activate
Oct 29, 2011

edogawa rando posted:

If it's not your book, then you deserve the acid vat too.

They deserve death?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Agaragon posted:

Me too. But not receipts from bookshops. Oh no, do you think I have cash to burn?

I use the receipt from the library I borrowed it from. Which also doubles as a reminder as to when I need to return it.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

edogawa rando posted:

Did you get your books back?

It turned out that her house was a well known drug house and while I was mad about the books I was not about to go to the police department going, "Heyyy, I know someone died but she had a couple of my books, any way I can get them back?". So out of cowardice, no I did not.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Better hope you don't find any basketball tickets laying around :ohdear:

It’s in the cards

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Activate posted:

They deserve death?

Whom among us doesn't?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

edogawa rando posted:

Whom among us doesn't?

Valar morghulis

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Valar morghulis

Ah yes, Games on Thrones!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I use a bookmark as a bookmark

i get that im 100% wildcard

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda like nibling for some of my little cousins, because I'm in this weird spot where I grew up with their mom and dad, so I'm more aunt than cousin. It's like "it's complicated" for significantly younger relatives!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

kru posted:

hosed up if true

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

kru posted:

Yeah my parents got me into "collecting" nice leather bookmarks whenever we traveled so I've got plenty

my original copy of House of Leaves I read in half, like the book tore in half through the spine, and I carried it with me so much both the front and back covers fell off. It's held together with a rubber band now

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah my parents got me into "collecting" nice leather bookmarks whenever we traveled so I've got plenty

my original copy of House of Leaves I read in half, like the book tore in half through the spine, and I carried it with me so much both the front and back covers fell off. It's held together with a rubber band now

I feel like Danielewski would approve of this method, especially if you randomly chose which half to read each day.

*Sees your username* : huh

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Haven't you got a pirate to pursue, Captain Smoker?

:hmmyes:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

I feel like Danielewski would approve of this method, especially if you randomly chose which half to read each day.

*Sees your username* : huh

oh he signed it and said he was impressed, lol

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Could one of the IKs or Mods that read this thread make a poll about folding pages, using a book mark, placing the book open face down on a table?

Please I'd like to see the percentage who does what

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hughlander posted:

(F28) why did my boyfriend (M31) call me out in front of his (F) coworker like that?!

Oh you sweet summer child...

All I did was question him repeatedly about his private conversations, I’m neither crazy nor jealous! What the gently caress???

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I only read ebooks,so the issue of pages doesn't come up.

I just bend the ebook reader instead

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

All I did was question him repeatedly about his private conversations, I’m neither crazy nor jealous! What the gently caress???

Are you seriously taking the side of the guy who's clearly cheating (or trying to) on his partner and trying to gaslight her about it? I know this is the thread of unreliable narrators but if that account is even a little bit true then :cmon:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Could one of the IKs or Mods that read this thread make a poll about folding pages, using a book mark, placing the book open face down on a table?

No

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Can't you :justpost: a thread?

We have really low standards in GBS for those.
Or if you want to trigger people, do it in Book Barn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Yes