Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mutata posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that y'all don't like this McCarthy feller.

He brings me joy OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Getting McCarthy to commit to a vote on something that was already pre-struck down decades ago by the Supreme Court is a pretty novel demand. I can't imagine what the purpose of getting him to commit to pass a law that will never pass the Senate or be signed by the President, and if it did, would instantly become void other than just seeing what else he will agree to.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wouldn't trust this court to preserve precedent, but otherwise, :shrug:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Supreme Court already struck down term limits as unconstitutional in the 90's when Gingrich passed them.

When did Gingrich pass term limits? I don’t think that stuff ever got put into law.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

smackfu posted:

When did Gingrich pass term limits? I don’t think that stuff ever got put into law.

It was part of Contract for America, but there was a ruling on state term limits in 95 that declared them unconstitutional, so they had to make it a constitutional amendment and it never went anywhere.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I went back to check on how close they were to passing that amendment.

The term limits amendment passed with a majority, but was way off (60 votes short) of the 2/3 constitutional amendment requirement in the House.

They had a balanced budget amendment and one that would also require a three fifths majority in both houses to raise taxes that came really close to passing. The balanced budget amendment passed the House and only failed by one vote in the Senate because one Republican opposed it. I forgot how close they came to that one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

delfin posted:

Someone's going to mess around just long enough for Liz Truss to be named the next Speaker.

As a nation, we might even deserve that.

Chaos nomination for next speaker: Mitch McConnell

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Getting McCarthy to commit to a vote on something that was already pre-struck down decades ago by the Supreme Court is a pretty novel demand. I can't imagine what the purpose of getting him to commit to pass a law that will never pass the Senate or be signed by the President, and if it did, would instantly become void other than just seeing what else he will agree to.

Given who is asking for it, there's a very good chance they don't know or refuse to acknowledge that such a thing already happened. At best, it was all an activist move by the famously liberal Rehnquist Court.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Dems should switch all their votes from Jeffries to Pelosi.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1610677777853808640

Since there's no Speaker and no rules, Laura Loomer has decided to try and infiltrate the House and see how long it takes before anyone realizes she lost her congressional primary and kicks her the gently caress out :v:

To be fair to her, she's as much a house rep as anyone else right now

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay I'm not on top of US politics, are they just nominating the same dweeb over and over and nobody is voting for him? Can they pick someone less objectionable?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

YggiDee posted:

Okay I'm not on top of US politics, are they just nominating the same dweeb over and over and nobody is voting for him? Can they pick someone less objectionable?

The short version is there is no one less objectionable to them who would want the job.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just make them do it anyway

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Chaos nomination for next speaker: Mitch McConnell

hosed up that you could actually find a way to make me feel bad for loving Addison Mitchell McConnell

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The solution is single stochastic vote. Every representative submits a ballot with their candidate of choice, one ballot is chosen randomly, and whoever is on it gets to be the Speaker.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

What about a joint speakership position? Would McCarthy be satisfied as co-speaker?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pleasant Friend posted:

What about a joint speakership position? Would McCarthy be satisfied as co-speaker?

I doubt it. This has been his dream for well over a decade. It's all or nothing for him, and nothing is quickly bullying all out of the room. I doubt he'd take a pity part-time Speakership gig, no matter who offered it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

YggiDee posted:

Just make them do it anyway

If you mean instead of McCarthy, I think they're worried that their compromise candidate won't get the votes and it'll make things even worse (well worse for Republicans which is obviously better).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Discendo Vox posted:

The short version is there is no one less objectionable to them who would want the job.

also it's unclear if there's anyone less objectionable to them even among people who don't want the job

getting nearly the entire republican house to agree on something is almost certainly far harder than getting 50 dem senators to agree on something.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Herstory Begins Now posted:

getting nearly the entire republican house to agree on something is almost certainly far harder than getting 50 dem senators to agree on something.
Is it though?
They are pretty good at agreeing to own the libs. If there was an actual chance for a democratic leader here, I doubt that the house dems would all go in lockstep either. It's way easier to show unity as a symbolic sign of opposition than if you are actually in charge.

But yeah, those demands of the freedom caucus are insane. According to them, a singular person has the power to make a vote of mistrust at any given time. So essentially, under this requirement, every time a vote doesn't go their way, one of them will try that. Also, this is not even specific to republicans. According to that suggestion, random democrats could stall the proceedings of everything until the end of the legislative period.
If Kevin caves to that ridiculous demand and it is somehow enough to sway them (fat chance), I imagine dozens of people demand bribes for every day they don't call for a reelection of the speaker.

I also really like the guy who was all "We wont surrender unconditionally. So please tell us everything you want, so we may surrender and hand it to you."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yes oh my god yes it is

mccarthy would literally murder an infant right now if he could deal with only a singular a joe manchin instead of what he's currently got to deal with. I am zero % saying this as some defense of the dems or whatever

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 5, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The solution is single stochastic vote. Every representative submits a ballot with their candidate of choice, one ballot is chosen randomly, and whoever is on it gets to be the Speaker.

Representative Baba Booey, please come get your gavel.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1610863167680167936

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Curious to see if McCarthy can chip away anyone in today’s vote. Hopefully they don’t just come in and recess immediately, like last night. Although the recess vote was quite amusing to watch.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

How many gop reps, McCarthy included, do you think know that?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

YggiDee posted:

There's only ~20 people objecting to that dweeb, and the other ~190 people aren't necessarily interested in immediately tossing their favorite overboard just to please a small and extremely demanding faction.

Also, they needed a majority vote just to adjourn the House so they can stop rerunning the vote and go spend a couple days wheeling and dealing. The small faction blocked that for a while just to humiliate that one dweeb.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83a3PJKMhqE

McCarthy danced like a monkey and performed beloved culture wars for MAGA by reading Dr. Seuss as a grown rear end man and acting like some book getting pulled from sale by his own estate was GOP priority number 1 to remedy in some capacity and MAGA still won't vote for the guy to be speaker. :lol: Like isn't culture wars and owning the libs what wins support, credibility and clout in today's GOP? Did McCarthy just not culture war hard enough? Not white male victimhood hard enough? I'm guessing not.....

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

There's only ~20 people objecting to that dweeb, and the other ~190 people aren't necessarily interested in immediately tossing their favorite overboard just to please a small and extremely demanding faction.

Also, they needed a majority vote just to adjourn the House so they can stop rerunning the vote and go spend a couple days wheeling and dealing. The small faction blocked that for a while just to humiliate that one dweeb.

They are getting pissed that McCarthy is giving up more and more, in particular they seem pissed that the 20 might “jump the line” on committee assignments.

They might not be onboard to give ‘em all that they want.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How many more rounds does McCarthy have to suffer through before this makes it into the top 5 most failed speaker votes? Will he break before then? Because right now, he seems to be the weakest link in this entire clownshow.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Pleasant Friend posted:

McCarthy: I'm Assistant Speaker of the House.
Random Congressperson: Assistant to the Speaker of the House.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Matt's a hell of a reporter so I trust his gut on this. It also feels like the conservatives are making outrageous demands that McCarthy immediately accepts to prove the point that he has no principles and will do anything for the gavel.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Randalor posted:

How many more rounds does McCarthy have to suffer through before this makes it into the top 5 most failed speaker votes? Will he break before then? Because right now, he seems to be the weakest link in this entire clownshow.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kevin-mccarthy-house-speaker-multiple-ballots-history/

The longest it has ever taken was two months. That was pre civil war, though.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 5, 2023

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Could they get a procedural ruling from the clerk to attempt to switch the vote to some kind of Ranked Voting with Instant Runoff? That might still not get to 218 but might speed up the process.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/badlipreading/status/1610802268416380928?s=46&t=5ZnX1jQqhV0i7SWc-pTEuQ

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Could they get a procedural ruling from the clerk to attempt to switch the vote to some kind of Ranked Voting with Instant Runoff? That might still not get to 218 but might speed up the process.

Someone could make a motion for it but it'd have to be accepted by a majority of the house and I'm not sure they'd take it. You'd also have to lay down the rules for that particular change, which I presume would also be part of that vote

You can't necessarily say "I move to have the nomination vote be decided by ranked choice voting" because there's no parliamentary mechanism for that

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... what, 6 more votes then he's in the top 5?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

No?

And why would anyone want to speed the process?

Fundamentally this doesn’t really matter for the United States til July with the debt ceiling, because dem controlled senate and presidency means the house wont pass any laws.

Any oversight they do will be bullshit like hunter bidens laptop investigations.

Edit: also remember the current clerk was appointed by the dems, and it is usually their last official act to elect the opposing parties speaker, she has no incentive to bend the rules to empower republicans.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

So that would be 212 votes for Jeffries, followed by 212 votes for "Deez Nutz", then 201 votes for McCarthy? I'm fine with that.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

How much more must I grovel and supplicate before you see what a great leader I am?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Randalor posted:

So that would be 212 votes for Jeffries, followed by 212 votes for "Deez Nutz", then 201 votes for McCarthy? I'm fine with that.

I feel bad that I thought of Scalise for the second choice there...