Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Diet Crack posted:

Well I mean, if they had lovely music could you imagine how many subservient British subjects might actually get mad at their £20,000 monthly energy bill and actually take physical actions?

No, first because this is the Large Business line and second because our electricity bills come to more like £700k a month. I don't know what their individual customer line uses as hold music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

No, first because this is the Large Business line and second because our electricity bills come to more like £700k a month. I don't know what their individual customer line uses as hold music.

recording of the board laughing

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"You are getting poorer. Poorer. You will enjoy being poorer. Turn on more lights. You're getting poorer." on loop

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao eat poo poo dorries https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/jan/05/channel-4-privatisation-plans-formally-abandoned

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
It'll be a bumper week for the off-licence, like Christmas all over again!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I call upon the thread for advice on behalf of a stupid friend who did something stupid

He got caught littering and served a PCN. He cleverly gave them a fake name but stupidly gave them his real goddamn address lol. He's also probably been caught on camera in some fashion (probably body camera I suspect).

I'm guessing he's hosed and will have to pay? No wriggling out of that one, if they try hunting down the fake name at the real address and he answers the door and is obviously the same person in whatever pics they took?

Serves him right for not using a bin imo (hate litter myself) but he's not exactly in a great financial position to just hand over £150

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
who issues those?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jedit posted:

EDF's hold music on the business line doesn't suck - it's Give It Away by Zero 7, which as restful music that can loop indefinitely goes is second only to Weightless by Marconi Union.

When I worked on the phones I used to have to call up other insurance companies. Brit Insurance (who I don't think still operate in the general consume market any more) had a bunch of 90s rock, and I recall phoning them and ending up with Breakfast at Tiffany's stuck in my head for the rest of the day. And I'll never forget phoning Saga, of all companies, and getting treated to Golden Brown by the Stranglers.

The company I worked for used to use Frank Sinatra's greatest hits, which was seen as sufficiently bland to work as hold music...until a customer who had broken down in the middle of nowhere at 3am got treated to Strangers in the Night.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

who issues those?

A lambeth council enforcement officer, apparently

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/KathyBurke/status/1610896558089707521

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Microplastics posted:

A lambeth council enforcement officer, apparently

Googling it the advice if you can't pay is to contact the council immediately and state you cannot afford the fine. They can then delay payment until you can or have you pay in installments.

That said your idiotic friend might then have to explain why he's not the person whose name is written down on the fine.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Zalakwe posted:

The anti strike laws.are.very dumb even by this Government's standards. The public aren't with them. Their trapped entirely in their Telegraph sponsored bubble now.

I think its just doing as much damage as they can knowing Labour won't stop them or do anything to fix it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tesseraction posted:

Googling it the advice if you can't pay is to contact the council immediately and state you cannot afford the fine. They can then delay payment until you can or have you pay in installments.

That said your idiotic friend might then have to explain why he's not the person whose name is written down on the fine.

Which is also an offence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Which is also an offence.

Incredible own goal of someone to give a fake name and a real address, meaning he's going to double his fine.

Microplastics are you sure you can't get him forgiven for the fine on account of being dumb as a sack of hammers?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

Incredible own goal of someone to give a fake name and a real address, meaning he's going to double his fine.

Microplastics are you sure you can't get him forgiven for the fine on account of being dumb as a sack of hammers?

I know right lmao

But if he just goes online and puts in the PCN number and pays it, they're not gonna know its not his real name and they're not gonna give a poo poo anyway. So i don't think he's particularly hosed himself unless he tries to get away with it. Is my suspicion.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Might just have to lend your mate £150 and hope he hasn't been giving you a fake name all these years.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hang on, I thought you could use whatever name you liked for anything here as long as you're not doing it for the explicit purpose of fraud. Given that he gave his real address and the fine notice got to him, it would be pretty easy to argue that he wasn't trying to dodge it.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Shouldn't it be £75 if paid within 14 days?

It's been more than 14 days hasnt it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dabir posted:

Hang on, I thought you could use whatever name you liked for anything here as long as you're not doing it for the explicit purpose of fraud. Given that he gave his real address and the fine notice got to him, it would be pretty easy to argue that he wasn't trying to dodge it.

You could try, but then the question would be why give a fake name in the first place. Have you gone by this name before? Why did you make it up on the spot?

Because yeah, if you're Bradley Daniel Walsh and go by Daniel Walsh that's one thing, but if you're being fined and you give your name as Ben Dover and then panic when you realise they might be able to ID you and give your real address in said panic, this just leads to a negative inference.

Your best bet is to say you panicked and said nonsense out of said panic, but I don't know how well it will sit with someone who probably hates this part of the job and resent you for making them do it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

You could try, but then the question would be why give a fake name in the first place.

Why would that be a question? Is anyone even checking that poo poo

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

chird posted:

BBC News - Prince Harry accuses Prince William of physical attack in book - report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64170469

I'm just sick of seeing his face as top UK news as he attempts to extract every morsel of media attention humanly possible. My wrath is as much a critique of uk media as is it of poxy royals

Boys will be boys

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
If anyone asks, particularly the rozzers, make sure you use the fake name. Solidarity

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Why would that be a question? Is anyone even checking that poo poo

It's law enforcement. Pigs be tedious. As you should know since I think you said you're in noo yoik atm.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

You could try, but then the question would be why give a fake name in the first place. Have you gone by this name before? Why did you make it up on the spot?

Because yeah, if you're Bradley Daniel Walsh and go by Daniel Walsh that's one thing, but if you're being fined and you give your name as Ben Dover and then panic when you realise they might be able to ID you and give your real address in said panic, this just leads to a negative inference.

Your best bet is to say you panicked and said nonsense out of said panic, but I don't know how well it will sit with someone who probably hates this part of the job and resent you for making them do it.

Oh I forgot to mention that the fake name he gave is pieced together from real names in his own name and his immediate family

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Smdh if you didn’t have a classmate’s name and address already memorised for when the police used to turn up to turf you out of the school sports fields on a weekend as a kid.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

el dingo posted:

Shouldn't it be £75 if paid within 14 days?

It's been more than 14 days hasnt it

"£100 within 10 days" apparently. i think the rules are different to traffic violations

He did at least have the good sense to ask me for advice immediately though lol instead of sit on it and pretend it wasn't happening

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Microplastics posted:

Oh I forgot to mention that the fake name he gave is pieced together from real names in his own name and his immediate family

Oh then maybe he'll be fine.... the other meaning of fine

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Microplastics posted:

Just have him claim it's his identical twin brother, who also lives at that address. No he can't come to the phone right now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Starmer responds to accusations of 'robotic' public appearances.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Not sure of a better place to post this so here you go

https://twitter.com/theurigeller/status/1608427287434887169?t=5_TcGcHAsCMPyWmVib2Mow&s=19

Lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
100 quid for PCN? The time I got done for littering it was a cool 400

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think you know already that the answer is that he pays the fine quietly and quickly while he has the chance. He's not going to get out of paying it, refusing to pay is only going to get him in more trouble, and giving a fake name has hosed him further.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not sure of a better place to post this so here you go

Lol

he won't believe this theme park ride they've got in dubai, or the size of the moon at the north pole.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/chhcalling/status/1610912075806834689

:allears:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

cspam ufo thread is the place for content such as this

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Could a robot do this?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My friends are just offscreen, also forcing a smile.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

domhal posted:

Could a robot do this?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

domhal posted:

Could a robot do this?

Pity this robot didn't do the needful
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1610993852734750723?s=20

also
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1610988564602408960?s=20
:thermidor::thermidor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean that second one was obvious with BTL mortgages and tiktok landlords. Thankfully they're all starting to drop out thanks to the barest sliver of controls making it mildly less profitable, but it's not like house prices have fallen or renters have suddenly become able to afford their own houses. So where do they go?

Almost like we live in some sort of old world dying / new world struggling to be born situation.