Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

SettingSun posted:

I never really understood the rise of the desire to own game assets in a meaningful sense. Another bitcoin solution looking for a problem perhaps?

people who waste thousands of hours of their life playing World of Warcraft or other hyperaddictive online game can sell their account with all of the loot and XP they accumulated for thousands of dollars. But what if the game you poured all those hours into ends up losing popularity and abandoned by its publisher? It's happened before and this terrifying thought haunts every poop-socker like a spectre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Juul-Whip posted:

people who waste thousands of hours of their life playing World of Warcraft or other hyperaddictive online game can sell their account with all of the loot and XP they accumulated for thousands of dollars. But what if the game you poured all those hours into ends up losing popularity and abandoned by its publisher? It's happened before and this terrifying thought haunts every poop-socker like a spectre.

It's about to happen to all the Chinese wow players since netease and blizzard had a falling out.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
but again it assume they and only they should have some sort of asset that has a number that goes upupup and makes their peepee feel good.

also they hold forever. no sell only hold.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

tacodaemon posted:

new frontiers in data visualization from a Cato Institute climate change denier

https://twitter.com/JunkScience/status/1610782393673162762

The first thing I thought of upon seeing this was all the bitcoin "to the moon" charts

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Am I like loving crazy or doesn’t this idiots own chart show a clear upward trend in average temps???

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This is the sort of interpretation that makes you think this is an idiot who in kindergarten shoved square blocks into round holes.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

King Carnivore posted:

Am I like loving crazy or doesn’t this idiots own chart show a clear upward trend in average temps???

Can't you see the big red line going down?! It's obvious.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
at least he got the right user name for his tweets

drk
Jan 16, 2005

titty_baby_ posted:

The first thing I thought of upon seeing this was all the bitcoin "to the moon" charts

reminded me to check in on the always insane tradingview "ideas" about bitcoin

they love a good chart

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

King Carnivore posted:

Nope, you have it right. He's selected a high peak from the last 30 years and compared it to a low trough now. The graph shows a clear increasing trend when you consider all data and not his two points.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Chainclaw posted:

I'm curious, what's the actual risk part for these companies? I thought that to them it was basically like printing pogs with their company logo. Just chasing a fad, and dropping like $10k to mint some stupid NFTs that everyone will forget in 3 months is cheaper than a lot of other advertising. Usually that's nothing in the marketing budget, I've heard of marketing teams rack up bar bills that size in a single night at a single bar schmoozing clients.

They aren't under the illusion that somehow that $10k on minting some ugly NFTs drawn by someone on the marketing team's nephew is going to make them any money on the NFTs themselves, but that the random news articles and angry twitter threads will probably drive back more business than that spend.

edit: I'm hoping it's some tax or legal thing that will burn these companies. I hate NFTs almost as much as I hate funco pops.
Most of them run a reference implementation of smart pogs in Ethereum who's gas costs quickly add up. Plus tech support to plumb up the reference implementation to their existing IT infrastructure, business process support to plumb up Ethereum gas purchases to accounts payable and Ethereum gas revenues to accounts receivable, tech support to build whatever experience out of the NFT. The benefit is clearly to garage rug pullers here - making NFTs big business has a lot of business process hurdles to clear.

When we start talking about blockchain for MMOs that's new development so add 6-18 months of consultants jerking off to the above in exchange for maybe getting rid of Ethereum management.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

King Carnivore posted:

Okay good. So I'm still sane.

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1610662221339582464?s=20

What was that 5 year old doing on that site?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

King Carnivore posted:

His trend line is completely wrong, yes its trending upwards still.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CommieGIR posted:

His trend line is completely wrong, yes its trending upwards still.

His line connects those two points perfectly.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

titty_baby_ posted:

kw0134 posted:

This is the sort of interpretation that makes you think this is an idiot who in kindergarten shoved square blocks into round holes.

https://twitter.com/TiredActor/status/1358996786598264834?s=20&t=eDVHwMtbKHe6jOTbanKV5w

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Lemme just run some technical analysis on this here climate data... Suck on that "scientists"

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Wait, that guy was serious? I thought that was parody.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

His line connects those two points perfectly.

Joking It should be roughly following the median, and its not at all.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

zedprime posted:

Most of them run a reference implementation of smart pogs in Ethereum who's gas costs quickly add up. Plus tech support to plumb up the reference implementation to their existing IT infrastructure, business process support to plumb up Ethereum gas purchases to accounts payable and Ethereum gas revenues to accounts receivable, tech support to build whatever experience out of the NFT. The benefit is clearly to garage rug pullers here - making NFTs big business has a lot of business process hurdles to clear.

When we start talking about blockchain for MMOs that's new development so add 6-18 months of consultants jerking off to the above in exchange for maybe getting rid of Ethereum management.

I ended up learning way more about the (lack of) use of blockchain for games in summer 2020 when one of my fiance's startup partners took a hard veer toward wanting to go deep into NFT town with the software/game/toy thing they were building.

She was in the camp initially of "This is setting off every bullshit alarm for me but I'm a designer not an engineer, so explain it to me" and it was like... none of the things the other startup people wanted to do were helped in any way by blockchain, I think they were also not engineers so they didn't realize that "just making your game assets NFTs" doesn't mean that they'll somehow be useful in other games.

Then some drama happened, and later was some legal action, and eventually somehow the NFT person died, no idea how or why, but it basically put an end to any lingering drama around the startup.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

This December featured a polar vortex so yeah no poo poo it was colder than some random December in the 80s

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gubbinal Girl posted:

This December featured a polar vortex so yeah no poo poo it was colder than some random December in the 80s

Yup, but the problem is twofold:
1. Its colder BECAUSE more extremes were predicted as climate change gets worse. This is a favorite of Climate Change deniers because for some reason Global Warming would mean an end to seasons which...has nothing to do with Global Warming?
2. It ignores that overall other than the polar vortex, its still a warmer than average winter the majority of the time.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Lammasu posted:

Truman Burbank, like that idiot, had no idea his reality was a loving joke either

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 5, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, but the problem is twofold:
1. Its colder BECAUSE more extremes were predicted as climate change gets worse. This is a favorite of Climate Change deniers because for some reason Global Warming would mean an end to seasons which...has nothing to do with Global Warming?
2. It ignores that overall other than the polar vortex, its still a warmer than average winter the majority of the time.
As a trivial matter of pedantry; it’s following the general prediction, but the prediction didn’t cause the changes.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Chainclaw posted:

I think they were also not engineers so they didn't realize that "just making your game assets NFTs" doesn't mean that they'll somehow be useful in other games.

Step 1: decide to turn all your game items in to nfts

Step 2: work out a universal and enforceable standard that all games in all engines have to use that allows quick and simple swapping of complex assets between games

it's easy!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Devs solved this in the gameboy era. When you beat one game you got a code you put into another game and you got cool stuff.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Boxturret posted:

Step 2: work out a universal and enforceable standard that all games in all engines have to use that allows quick and simple swapping of complex assets between games

it's easy!

And of course those people don't understand that step 1 and step 2 have nothing to do with each other, because making a NFT complex enough to actually store the game data would make the transaction and minting costs on the NFT way too high for anyone to bother, so every NFT ends up just being a JSON blob with a pointer to a file elsewhere... so you'd end up needing to build a non-NFT solution to manage all that cross-game data anyways, and at that point you're just bolting NFTs on at the end as a non-solution to any problem.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chainclaw posted:

And of course those people don't understand that step 1 and step 2 have nothing to do with each other, because making a NFT complex enough to actually store the game data would make the transaction and minting costs on the NFT way too high for anyone to bother, so every NFT ends up just being a JSON blob with a pointer to a file elsewhere... so you'd end up needing to build a non-NFT solution to manage all that cross-game data anyways, and at that point you're just bolting NFTs on at the end as a non-solution to any problem.
Problem as always is “I ain’t rich”

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Lammasu posted:

I did too. There is no way to look at that chart as a whole and not see it trending upwards.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I did too. There is no way to look at that chart as a whole and not see it trending upwards.
I looked it up and yes, that guy is dead serious. He works for Exxon doing poo poo like this. Here is a free piece of advice. If you work for a company that Marvel based a villain off of, you're probably on the wrong side.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

it's easy!

All games based on gurps

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lammasu posted:

I always wondered the same thing about Arkane

If it was parody he was really committed

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

yes but if you pick two arbitrary points in a specific set of data and you can find a way to show line going down. it's just that easy!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Adjacent to Bitcoin but the same narrative patterns of “hodl” and warriors against the establishment/feds and we’re early etc. are found in the bed bath and beyond sub - a bunch of people super-invested in the secret potential of BBBY stocks to shoot up to unfathomable wealth if you get in early enough due to its secret values - and they are going batshit over the news the company is contemplating bankruptcy in a very familiar way.

quote:

Ignore the Shills: We Believe in BBBY

The BBBY bashers are all over the place, trying to convince anyone who will listen to sell their shares. They crawl out from under their rocks, spewing lies and spreading fear and doubt. They try to use the company’s recent statement about their financial future as evidence that BBBY is about to go bankrupt.

So what? It’s just wording in a filing. If I file a document stating that I am a millionaire, does that make me one? And don’t even get me started on the “anonymous sources” over at WSJ. We ain’t falling for it. We’re smarter than that. We see right through their tricks. We know that every company has its ups and downs. And we have faith that BBBY will overcome this bump in the road and come out even stronger.

So to all the BBBY bashers out there, we say this: bring it on. We’re not afraid of your negativity. We won’t be swayed by your insults or your baseless claims. We stand firm, united in our belief that BBBY is a strong and thriving company.

And if you disagree, if you truly believe that BBBY is going bankrupt, then you might as well join the shills. Because we don’t want you. We don’t need your negativity bringing us down. We don’t need your lack of faith dragging us down.

We are warriors, fierce and determined. Like William Wallace, we will not back down in the face of adversity. We will stand up and fight for what we believe in, even if it means facing down the full might of the hater army.

You can try to bring us down with your negativity, but you will never succeed. We are the BBBY warriors, and we will emerge victorious. Our shares will rise to new heights, and the haters will be silenced once and for all.

So if you’re with us, join the fight. Together, we will take on the shills and show them that they can’t bring us down. Together, we will rise to the top. Together, we are unstoppable.

We may not know everything about the stock market, but we know enough to know that BBBY is a solid company. And we’re not going to let a bunch of keyboard warriors try to tell us otherwise. So bring on the shills, because we’re ready for them. We’re ready to fight for what we believe in. And we won’t stop until we’re on top of the world.

quote:

Mayo boi & Co are in rage mode tryna make us quit. Fuk them and their nepotistic friends. They’re the ones short on time. This is obvious to me when looking at the short volume and market manipulation since tuesday, even before yesterdays company filings.

They’re scared of the periodic run-up BBBY is about to have, hence they’re pushing us down fiercely. And man if, oh dear Mayo boi, if we get any sort of good news on top of that, then guess what? Yes that’s right Mayo boi, HEDGIES R FUK!!

Buying more today! 🚀🚀🚀

There’s rainbow charts, FUD, hodl, not financial advice, buy the dip, copium and hopium, etc.

How many of these communities of “investors” are out there pouring life savings into memecoins and memestocks, all sharing the same lingo? There’s even highly downvoted comments saying this is just what happened before Celsius collapsed.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

do they know what happened to William Wallace?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

coolusername posted:

quote:

So what? It’s just wording in a filing. If I file a document stating that I am a millionaire, does that make me one?

Incredible brain

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It really shouldn't be surprise we're seeing cargo cults of business considering the state the world is in ideologically.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

coolusername posted:

Adjacent to Bitcoin but the same narrative patterns of “hodl” and warriors against the establishment/feds and we’re early etc. are found in the bed bath and beyond sub - a bunch of people super-invested in the secret potential of BBBY stocks to shoot up to unfathomable wealth if you get in early enough due to its secret values - and they are going batshit over the news the company is contemplating bankruptcy in a very familiar way.

There’s rainbow charts, FUD, hodl, not financial advice, buy the dip, copium and hopium, etc.

How many of these communities of “investors” are out there pouring life savings into memecoins and memestocks, all sharing the same lingo? There’s even highly downvoted comments saying this is just what happened before Celsius collapsed.

10/10 bagholder energy

edit: BBBY is down ~40% YTD which is exceptionally impressive given that we are only 4 trading days into the year

drk fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 6, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

VitalSigns posted:

I always wondered the same thing about Arkane

If it was parody he was really committed

He's committed to the bit. I was in an IRC channel with him during the 2000 Florida recount and he was fuckin insufferable then.

punishedkissinger posted:

do they know what happened to William Wallace?

*snort*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Squiggle posted:

He's committed to the bit. I was in an IRC channel with him during the 2000 Florida recount and he was fuckin insufferable then.

Yeah the problem with Arkane being a possible troll: Eventually you stop being a troll and just start believing what you are saying.