Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Coyotes missions can definitely do that on vanilla missions due to random events like a VTOL swarm or House assassins or pirate mechs (those will at least hopefully shoot at everyone). Some of the events are helpful at least, like a friendly VTOL swarm. I think it at least in part depends on your standing with the House which controls the space you’re in.

Any mission with artillery is a difficulty multiplier though, especially since to kill it you’ll probably have to stomp through a bunch of other poo poo. There’s a few story chain missions with some really hard to deal with artillery.

This sounds lit

I hope it works with all my YAML and mech variant mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

can't stand young adult medium lasers, myself.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

We go Xtra Lasers 'round these parts :clint:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Resdfru posted:

Tell me more

I replayed a bunch of the R&C games last year through RPCS3, a PS3 emulator. It was great to see Tools of Destruction unshackled from 720p. It ran great for me (less slow downs than the original). I have a decent computer but not top end by any means. The CPU is the most important part.

The older games should be PS2 emulatable, but I stuck to the PS3 collection, which has native widescreen and some texture improvements iirc (and a few sloppy oversights). That should work on weaker PCs too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Runa posted:

This sounds lit

I hope it works with all my YAML and mech variant mods

It will, I’ve used it with most of the YAML mods as well as the Clan Invasion mod for a while now. All those mechs can and will show up in the custom missions both as friendly and enemy and at the end as salvage. They can definitely gently caress with things since the missions themselves are balanced around vanilla. For example the “End Game” battleground missions is about reaching 2 friendly mechs before they’re destroyed to get some data and then taking that data to a friendly base before its destroyed. When there’s a couple super heavies (or even just mechs with RACs) near the base or one of the important mechs fighting with a few crazy clan variants the mission might be lost before it even really starts but most of the time you can squeak out a win.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kibayasu posted:

It will, I’ve used it with most of the YAML mods as well as the Clan Invasion mod for a while now. All those mechs can and will show up in the custom missions both as friendly and enemy and at the end as salvage. They can definitely gently caress with things since the missions themselves are balanced around vanilla. For example the “End Game” battleground missions is about reaching 2 friendly mechs before they’re destroyed to get some data and then taking that data to a friendly base before its destroyed. When there’s a couple super heavies (or even just mechs with RACs) near the base or one of the important mechs fighting with a few crazy clan variants the mission might be lost before it even really starts but most of the time you can squeak out a win.

Are those mods worth picking up you think? I wasn't too sure what YAML did exactly but saw it mentioned a whole bunch in the conversation of "must have mods" for MW5

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Some reviews I got:

Mat Cauthon posted:

I'm super late but many thanks to Xander77 for Undead Horde, which has been a surprisingly fun and engaging tactics-ish RPG with pretty solid replay potential. The plot is also pretty humorous at times, if not exactly the most original stuff but it's good for scratching that "I feel like watching Army of Darkness" kind of itch.

Artelier posted:

Took up Xander77's offer of free games, requesting an arcade game, and got Gryphon Knight Epic.

In a post-defeated-the-evil-villain land, a knight and his crew have raided the villain's items. Three years on, the knight, goes on an ordinary task out of the castle, only to meet an evil spectre that looks exactly like him, a result of the item that he took from the villain. After running the spectre off, the knight goes off in search of his friends who have raided other items, hoping they did not become too corrupt.

Gryphon Knight Epic is a side scrolling SHMUP, with some peculiarities. Firstly, while the character defaults to moving right, you can change your orientation to left, and the screen will scroll left as well. There are certain "crossroads" in the map where you can sometimes go up, or down, or backtrack, often leading to new areas or items, with a small amount of respawned enemies. It's an interesting idea to be sure, but I personally wish the scroll speed was a little faster, especially if it's an area I've already been to.

There's an overworld, where you can select the level you want to play, followed by the difficulty for that level (which you can change on a per level entry basis). Shops are also available on the overworld, where you can buy items (like the classic healing) to familiars (basically R-Type style forces, though you can only equip one at a time and they can level up or down). When you beat a level, you're normally granted a new weapon, Mega Man style.

To be honest, my skill level at SHMUPs isn't really the best. I thought I'd power through but the thing is...the knight's hurtbox is absolutely gigantic. Enemy bullet numbers are pretty low (and there is enemy collision damage), but mostly I found myself constantly geting grazed by attacks I thought I'd dodged, which made for a frustrating experience once I hit level 4 onwards. There is a definite difficulty spike, though I don't think veterans will have any issue.

All in all, a pretty good time I think, especially, if you're a fan of the side scrolling, everything can hurt you style of SHMUP (as opposed to say the bullet hell type which seems more well known nowadays). I'm still going back to it every day or so......and then getting mad when I burn all my potions on parts that I feel I could get past if I just estimated the hurtbox a bit more.

Skjorte posted:

Thanks to Xander77 for CHAOS CODE -NEW SIGN OF CATASTROPHE-, an Arc-Sys fighting game I didn't realize existed until he kindly offered it to me. I've probably banged my head against the challenge mode for the last time (after getting very lucky in picking the one unfair-but-sufficiently-luck-based one that let me stumble across the finish line after just a few attempts), but playing through its much more forgiving arcade mode has provided quick and decent fun thus far. Having recently tried and failed to attain any kind of degree of competency in King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match, it was neat to be able to jump into a game that lets you lazily string together normal combos, and even pick 2 of 4 'extra' abilities that are usually simple to call upon and find use for. Also, as someone who doesn't remember inputs until after having played a series for about a decade, having your character's move list visible on the sidebar a la an arcade cabinet is a nice, nostalgic, and helpful touch, too. Easy game to like, mechanically.

On the negative side, most of its female cast is of the "can't play this game in front of anyone" variety, and the visuals and polish are well below par, with poorly-looped animations, very rough placement-dependent camera zooms, first-drafty character sketches, and just a never-ending stream of typos all over the place. The surprisingly robust combat system deserves a presentation several tiers better than it's getting here, but since the fighting's good and the music isn't bad, I expect I'll play my way to another couple of horribly messy endings eventually.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Xander77 gifted me REDIRECTION, a challenging puzzle game where you place objects to move automated robots to their escape route, which is color coded to the robot. The two colored robots always move in the opposite direction than the other when it hits something in its path. They either all escape or you rewind to the beginning and move things around and change their spawn timers. You can manually control time by fast forward or restarting at any point. I like games that respect my time and there was a ton of rewinds and fast forward. The puzzles themselves had changing platforms, door locks, conveyor belts, etc., with deadly terrain. There are a couple dozen puzzles and some unlockables of 40 year old games. You can import or create your own puzzles if you want.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 6, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

Are those mods worth picking up you think? I wasn't too sure what YAML did exactly but saw it mentioned a whole bunch in the conversation of "must have mods" for MW5

The biggest thing Yet Another Mech Lab does is expand the customizing you can do with mechs and removes a lot of the restrictions of the vanilla system. You can throw together some good stuff with it. It also adds some mech variants, equipment like engines and armor, and the ability to salvage “pieces” of a mech type after a mission. If a mech isn’t available to take as a whole then it’ll will appear as some number of salvage pieces. Once you have enough pieces (5 tons per piece, so 100 tons needs 20 pieces, you can turn them into a mech.

The other Yet Another mods can be considered add ons to YAML. That’s not actually necessarily true for all of them but close enough.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

victrix posted:

Any recommendations for good turn based tactics/wargames/empire builders? Not looking for stuff like Civ, Fire Emblem, HoMM clones, or full srpgs like FFT, more like pure combat games that might feature empire building as a means of churning out more cool units (Warlock 2 comes to mind). Definitely more interested in fantasy/scifi stuff with cool abilities/meta systems/etc. Or even weirdly orthogonal games like Alina of the Arena which is a hex combat deckbuilder.

Gem Wizards Tactics? All about shoving and throwing folks about.

Mainframe Defenders is a bit lighter on cool abilities but it is satisfying to build a well oiled squad.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dangit i was banking on it being "yet another mechwarrior lore" mod

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

victrix posted:

Any recommendations for good turn based tactics/wargames/empire builders? Not looking for stuff like Civ, Fire Emblem, HoMM clones, or full srpgs like FFT, more like pure combat games that might feature empire building as a means of churning out more cool units (Warlock 2 comes to mind). Definitely more interested in fantasy/scifi stuff with cool abilities/meta systems/etc. Or even weirdly orthogonal games like Alina of the Arena which is a hex combat deckbuilder.

I really like Urtuk and keep recommending it. It has pretty good combat with a surprising amounth of depth in its mechanics (as in, not that many mechanics and they're not that complicated, but they end up interacting in interesting ways).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kibayasu posted:

The biggest thing Yet Another Mech Lab does is expand the customizing you can do with mechs and removes a lot of the restrictions of the vanilla system. You can throw together some good stuff with it. It also adds some mech variants, equipment like engines and armor, and the ability to salvage “pieces” of a mech type after a mission. If a mech isn’t available to take as a whole then it’ll will appear as some number of salvage pieces. Once you have enough pieces (5 tons per piece, so 100 tons needs 20 pieces, you can turn them into a mech.

The other Yet Another mods can be considered add ons to YAML. That’s not actually necessarily true for all of them but close enough.

Ah okay I did notice that some of the more tinkery MW:O stuff is missing from here like the engine swaps and whatnot. I might rock with vanilla for now with the added mission types since that was really my main complaint about the career mode. Thanks for the info!

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Rinkles posted:

I replayed a bunch of the R&C games last year through RPCS3, a PS3 emulator. It was great to see Tools of Destruction unshackled from 720p. It ran great for me (less slow downs than the original). I have a decent computer but not top end by any means. The CPU is the most important part.

The older games should be PS2 emulatable, but I stuck to the PS3 collection, which has native widescreen and some texture improvements iirc (and a few sloppy oversights). That should work on weaker PCs too.

Oh cool, will have to take a look at the compatibility list for RPCS3 again. I tried it for last of us when the TV show was announced but it didn't work great

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Resdfru posted:

Oh cool, will have to take a look at the compatibility list for RPCS3 again. I tried it for last of us when the TV show was announced but it didn't work great

Performance will largely depend on your CPU. You really want something that came out in the last couple of years, the newer the better, and preferably with at least six cores (though it’s not a hard requirement, and the CPU family can be more important than core count).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

dangit i was banking on it being "yet another mechwarrior lore" mod

No need for a mod for that, just watch the increasingly longer videos dressed up as history lectures from the Black Pants Legion https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR5zhFCFVb9Unr7My0Epa_QQQqa388AVh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Asking here I asked in discord but the RPG channel isn't well traveled I dont' think.

I'm starting to really bounce off of Trials of Cold Steel. It seems like it's pretty much on rails (I'm through chapter 3).
It seems like there's not much capability to wander around and grind money/xp for teams outside of just resetting a dungeon of the day and killing everything again.
I'm enjoying the story so far but it's starting to feel a bit more on rails than I'd like, if it opens up a little I'll keep chugging through it if not maybe i"ll call it good at 40ish hours in.

Most of Trails is on rails.

I haven't played it myself yet but goons seem to like Crystal Project, and there's a free demo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I can't believe I missed the general gaming conversation several pages back.

Now my gamer card will be revoked.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I can only play mobile games now, please help.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
good mobile games or bad ones?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Well Vampire Survivors is free on mobile now so what else do you need?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

good mobile games or bad ones?
Concrete Jungle, so I'm safe for now.

But in time the gacha will come.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bad Seafood posted:

Concrete Jungle, so I'm safe for now.

But in time the gacha will come.

some of them even have pc ports on steam!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Most of Trails is on rails.

I haven't played it myself yet but goons seem to like Crystal Project, and there's a free demo.

I also own this guess I'll switch to that then.

Thanks goons.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Honky Impact

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
:honk:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
For those who took this month's Humble Monthly and if they chose Olliolli World: Does that come in one key, or does it have two keys, one for the base game and another for the expansion pass? I just realized I would have liked to get the expansion pass during the sale but I missed out on it, and I still have my Humble Monthly sub going so I figured to take advantage of that.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Unlucky7 posted:

For those who took this month's Humble Monthly and if they chose Olliolli World: Does that come in one key, or does it have two keys, one for the base game and another for the expansion pass? I just realized I would have liked to get the expansion pass during the sale but I missed out on it, and I still have my Humble Monthly sub going so I figured to take advantage of that.

Think it was one key

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

fit em all up in there posted:

Think it was one key

Well shoot. I was hoping to give away the other key. I think I can probably still get the expansion pass from that one key but I probably will not get a giftable copy of the game.

EDIT: So, who wants Doom Eternal? :v:

code:
622LQ-EWJV6-33Q7Q
EDIT2: Claimed!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 6, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Xander77 gifted me REDIRECTION, a challenging puzzle game where you place objects to move automated robots to their escape route, which is color coded to the robot. The two colored robots always move in the opposite direction than the other when it hits something in its path. They either all escape or you rewind to the beginning and move things around and change their spawn timers. You can manually control time by fast forward or restarting at any point. I like games that respect my time and there was a ton of rewinds and fast forward. The puzzles themselves had changing platforms, door locks, conveyor belts, etc., with deadly terrain. There are a couple dozen puzzles and some unlockables of 40 year old games. You can import or create your own puzzles if you want.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I've been playing God of War because, well, it was a gift.
I'm not sure I really dig the combat, it just seems to give me so many options but I don't really need a single one of them. I just recently have started using this one spell that makes a bunch of wolves appear and attack the poo poo out of enemies but it completely trivializes combat, alongside all of the runes I've got equipped.

There is something about the game that makes me scratch my head - if you try to do something you don't have the item for, your son immediately shouts "I GUESS YOU DONT HAVE THE CORRECT ITEM FOR THAT" and thinking back, I've noticed in a lot of streamers that they tend to bash their heads against the wall trying to do something that's clearly impossible at the current stage of the game. So I was wondering how long does it take for you guys to figure you aren't the correct level/lacking the right key/item before moving on from a puzzle? This whole son tells you to come back later with upgrades mechanic feels like that one "maze" they removed from Half-Life 2 because of that one smoothbrained playtester.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Unlucky7 posted:

Well shoot. I was hoping to give away the other key. I think I can probably still get the expansion pass from that one key but I probably will not get a giftable copy of the game.

EDIT: So, who wants Doom Eternal? :v:

code:
622LQ-EWJV6-33Q7Q

Holy poo poo.
2 hours later and this key was still there.
Thanks

e: Wait no, you edited 15 minutes ago.
Still though

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

OgNar posted:

Holy poo poo.
2 hours later and this key was still there.
Thanks

Well, I just edited the post 10 minutes ago with the key rather than make a new post :v:

EDIT: Beaten

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Rinkles posted:

Performance will largely depend on your CPU. You really want something that came out in the last couple of years, the newer the better, and preferably with at least six cores (though it’s not a hard requirement, and the CPU family can be more important than core count).

I have a 12th Gen i5, just built pc last year. I read last of us is just poo poo emulated and I assumed most ps3 games were poo poo emulated so I never tried anything else

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I see that Scott Pilgrim is out on PC and on sale for $5.

Nice try Ubisoft. I am not buying your terrible brawler again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I've been playing God of War because, well, it was a gift.
I'm not sure I really dig the combat, it just seems to give me so many options but I don't really need a single one of them. I just recently have started using this one spell that makes a bunch of wolves appear and attack the poo poo out of enemies but it completely trivializes combat, alongside all of the runes I've got equipped.

There is something about the game that makes me scratch my head - if you try to do something you don't have the item for, your son immediately shouts "I GUESS YOU DONT HAVE THE CORRECT ITEM FOR THAT" and thinking back, I've noticed in a lot of streamers that they tend to bash their heads against the wall trying to do something that's clearly impossible at the current stage of the game. So I was wondering how long does it take for you guys to figure you aren't the correct level/lacking the right key/item before moving on from a puzzle? This whole son tells you to come back later with upgrades mechanic feels like that one "maze" they removed from Half-Life 2 because of that one smoothbrained playtester.

I absolutely hate it when something looks like it might be solvable with clever thinking but is actually item gated. It was a big problem with Watch Dogs 2 for me. Lots of cool tools, but its puzzles usually have a very specific solution. They might require upgrades you might not have picked up yet.

I wasted so much time in that game trying to figure out puzzles I couldn't complete (didn't help that I played it directly after Prey which had the complete opposite design philosophy).

Resdfru posted:

I have a 12th Gen i5, just built pc last year. I read last of us is just poo poo emulated and I assumed most ps3 games were poo poo emulated so I never tried anything else

That should be perfect (better than mine). Idk how well TLOU plays, but you should always consult the RPCS3 wiki, which for major games will mention most issues and any solutions. Sounds like it might work fine with a few tweaks.
https://wiki.rpcs3.net/index.php?title=The_Last_of_Us

btw, if you didn't know TLOU is coming to steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1888930/The_Last_of_Us_Part_I/

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'll have to take a look at the wiki again, thought I did. Yea the pc version was announced after I tried the emulator. But it comes out after the show airs and I wanted to start (and then never finish probably) before the show

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Huh, I didn't realize it was airing in a week

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TLOU releases on Steam in March, not in a week

I also spotted some release date adjustments in Feb-April... Walking Dead Saints & Sinners Chapter 2 is dated for February (i didn't know it was episodic??), inti creates' "castlevania with two characters from nothing in particular, they came from space, don't look into it" game Grim Guardians releases Feb 23rd, retro FPS Perish releases Feb 2nd. scars above moved back one day to the 28th.

in March, the Rakuen dev has a new game called Mr Saitou that releases March 23rd. half-life inspired VR game Vertigo 2 finally comes out on March 30th, The Wild Eight dev's new game The Day Before releases on March 1st. then in April, Roots of Pacha releases April 25th.

System Shock remake, in an act of playing a game of chicken, has maintained its release date of March. i'd be so, so, incredibly just unbelievably shocked if it were to get delayed again

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The 7th Guest posted:

TLOU releases on Steam in March, not in a week

HBO show. That's what airs in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Just noticed a huge pricing error in this Civ6 bundle:
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/21432/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_VI_Anthology/

I think it was meant to be 68% off but is actually 86% off.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 6, 2023