Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Wayne Knight posted:

McCarthy should send enough of his votes home such that the HFC crazies have to decide between a republican speaker or a democratic one.

This is what he would do if he had balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Compromise candidate beginning to be floated publicly by a completely unsurprising person

https://twitter.com/lruskin/status/1611089001049640960?s=46&t=tssO1AwKr8_ohGkTbkSbDg

This is a miscalculation on her part.

I lived in Anchorage and R&D coalitions do work in Alaska, but it's because Alaska has its own identity separate from the lower 48, so national parties don't matter as much as someone's reputation.

That's not something you can just drop in and automatically make work in the U.S. Congress.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

McCarthy has no path to speaker and he will be the last person in Washington to realize this

look at this guy discounting the meteor scenario

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Robviously posted:

Honestly the HFC probably prefers Jeffries because they can at least argue that they "need to fix things." They ran on changing the culture in Washington and now they are the culture in Washington. They know that they need to keep the frenzy going to survive but that doesn't square the circle when it comes to a functioning government. They are a cudgel and know they need someone to keep swinging at. Or they actually believe the poo poo they're advocating in which case just lol.

I can't emphasize enough that the HFC is basically the most fascist part of the Republican party and in no way will ever side with the Democratic Party on anything to give them any power whatsoever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So the breaking news deal was an agreement to continue humiliatingly McCarthy? Truly the king of negotiators.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone remember the Looney Tunes cartoon called "Early to Bet"? The gambling bug after putting the cat through hell from losing at Gin is like, "He can't lose ALL the time, or can he?"

Yeah this is that. :laffo:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/G_Slattery/status/1611135448428208129?s=20&t=NpH_Rw-1tpvKIbGycoYVbw

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

-Blackadder- posted:

This is a miscalculation on her part.

I lived in Anchorage and R&D coalitions do work in Alaska, but it's because Alaska has its own identity separate from the lower 48, so national parties don't matter as much as someone's reputation.

That's not something you can just drop in and automatically make work in the U.S. Congress.

She's signaling, almost certainly with leadership's agreement, that there are options other than McCarthy, Jeffries, or an unending hostage crisis instigated by the HFC.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
ANOTHER VOTE

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
loving hell, they're going for #11?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, the clerk was like, “what is this BS, are you nominating someone or just giving a speech?”

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Breaking news I'm only going to poo poo PART of my pants

Caros
May 14, 2008

Piell posted:

ANOTHER VOTE

Reloading on x-com without realizing I set the random seed generator to fixed.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Fox News' main headline in all this is "Dems keep handing votes to Jeffries who also has a history of denying elections".

loving shameless.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

I can't emphasize enough that the HFC is basically the most fascist part of the Republican party and in no way will ever side with the Democratic Party on anything to give them any power whatsoever.

But there is a nonzero chance of them handing Democrats power through sheer stupidity and unforced errors.

Like they could lock their colleagues in the bathroom for some kind of tortured metaphor that only makes sense to them and accidentally give the Democrats a temporary majority. And don’t you dare say this scenario is too stupid to happen after everything we’ve seen. Sure it won’t happen, but we now live in a world where it’s plausible.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lmao what the hell was the point of him saying that none of his constituents want to balance the budget

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Caros posted:

Reloading on x-com without realizing I set the random seed generator to fixed.

Thinking you're playing a Bethesda game when you're playing an Obsidian game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

HPanda posted:

But there is a nonzero chance of them handing Democrats power through sheer stupidity and unforced errors.

Like they could lock their colleagues in the bathroom for some kind of tortured metaphor that only makes sense to them and accidentally give the Democrats a temporary majority. And don’t you dare say this scenario is too stupid to happen after everything we’ve seen. Sure it won’t happen, but we now live in a world where it’s plausible.

Or a few of them leave thinking that voting was done for the day and want to get ready for their appearance on Fox/OANN/*Insert other right-wing propaganda machine here*.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
"I've had literally zero of my constituents asking me to cut spending. That's why we need to cut spending" is literally a thing this guy said

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

And then what happened?

Expelling the progressives was a great move, no bad consequences.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mooseontheloose posted:

It depends on how you mean it. They won't vote for Democrats, but they probably would prefer Jeffries winning to McCarthy. In the first case they could give speeches about how the failing swamp Republicans threw the house to the Democrats instead of accepting the Trump movement and in the second they would look like losers. They just wouldn't do anything to make it happen.

The divide in the Republican party isn't really over how far right you should be, it's more like the extent to which a member of congress has the same job as Ben Shapiro.

edit: I mean the freedom caucus did just give Democrats two house seats by primarying the moderate incumbents with nazis.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ravenfood posted:

Fox News' main headline in all this is "Dems keep handing votes to Jeffries who also has a history of denying elections".

loving shameless.

Am I right in assuming that the election or elections that he denied involved The Decider?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

This is what he would do if he had balls.

Or any cunning

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

TRUMMMMMP

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
lol Gaetz is nominating Trump

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hide the kids it's time for matt gaetz

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:siren::siren::siren:GAETZ NOMINATES TRUMP FOR SPEAKER!:siren::siren::siren:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Trump is gonna have to change his endorsement for Speaker.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Gyges posted:

She's signaling, almost certainly with leadership's agreement, that there are options other than McCarthy, Jeffries, or an unending hostage crisis instigated by the HFC.

Hopefully. If Jeffries didn't give a speech to the freshmen that included, "if this is your first year in the U.S. Congress, then welcome to the U.S. Congress, keep your mouth shut until you've been here at least another year", then he's not doing his job.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

as his former constituent I must say that Good is an rear end in a top hat

he also has big JEB! energy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Let's have some applause for that!

two people clapped

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Who the gently caress is this rear end in a top hat even nominating? :confused:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
How many people have lost elections for President and Speaker before?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Youth Decay posted:

as his former constituent I must say that Good is an rear end in a top hat

he also has big JEB! energy

He should change his name to Bob Bad!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Who the gently caress is this rear end in a top hat even nominating? :confused:

He's finally mentioned Kevin Hern, so this run we've got McCarthy TRUMP and Hern on the R list, no Donalds unless I missed the nomination?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
RIP Donalds

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1611145367499726856

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He should change his name to Bob Bad!
I am convinced he and Bob Goodlatte are the same person. Same name, same politics, same area represented (with redrawn districts), it's the same loving guy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Goodlatte
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Good

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
How pissed must Trump be that Good went off about "we need a BUSINESSMAN as Speaker of the House" and he didn't mean Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

El Spamo posted:

One of the demands could be to strip naked on the floor of the house and slather his body with nutella and marshmallow fluff while singing "nearer, my god, to thee" and after this debasing humiliation KMC would still lose.

Not technically against House rules rn!