Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I thought about posting some random Haus of Decline comics in lieu of Hark! A Vagrant, but every single one of them has someone with a boner.

Poor young Ada. The vices of poetry were all around, and within her very blood! If I were the Lady Isabella and had to deal with Lord Bryon swinging dark moods around the house and swinging what was in his pants around every human female I might have a bad opinion of “the Arts” as well. Isabella was a bit of of a whiz with a protractor herself anyway, we are told.

Later of course, Ada became famous for doing some computery things with Charles Babbage, the mechanics of their work on the Analytical Engine being something I still don’t completely grasp, probably because my parents seemed not to mind if I read a poem now and then. Thus, no doubt: my mathematical ruin.

I have a strange cast of reoccurring characters, and Good Queen Bess is one of them. Heck, in one of the earliest ones, she’s already at Tilbury! I remember in the course of my being raised Catholic and Scottish and all (somewhere between the tartans and the endless mass, I recall) there was a distinct notion that “Mary Queen of Scots rules and Elizabeth drools” but who were we kidding? Elizabeth was terrifying and amazing and also especially terrifying (which is great). Anyway who can stay mad at a face like that?

A face caked with lead paint featuring an impossibly high hairline and black teeth. Why I feel a sonnet comin’ on!

I’ll just link to this ode to Margie from Fargo.

I wanted to get back into the world of composers because let’s face it, they are Grade A comic material. Too bad I know relatively little about most of them. I went on a reading spree and came out with Chopin and Liszt, who were friends according to some and not friends according to others. Interesting fellows, never all that any one assessment claims they are. Chopin was not always a Delicate Flower and Liszt was not always some approximation of Jerry Lee Lewis playing Great Balls of Fire. But hey, sometimes they were!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Okay here’s a bonus Haus of Decline:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Another blast from the past. In case no one saw the secret text:

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

timg'd: homophobic slur

Seven men pissing into empties, calling you faggot. They cannot see you.

The drawing you didn't get to see was of him making a bad first impression on George Clooney

Ray got a front-row seat for this one and is gently elbowing everybody to whisper that he knows Cornelius.

Snoop Dogg is all, BITCHES do NOT LISTEN

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I guess ray took more than just little a salami

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Only thing I went to read on my own after it started being posted here was A Bride's Story, and that stopped being posted here either way.

Anyway I thought of this thread when I saw this bonus panel from yesterday's SMBC about AI art.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

some plague rats posted:

Oh you'll get your free dogshit alright, you'll get it real fast
Yes yes we can all see your posts.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

e-dt posted:

timg'd: homophobic slur

Seven men pissing into empties, calling you faggot. They cannot see you.
"the way old telegrams said STOP" has stuck with me as a description for this type of speech ever since I first read this and it's still true on the rare instances when I run into it in the wild in 2023.

Previously on Opplopolis: He's probably never even heard the word Marvedyne.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Splicer posted:

booo

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

Yes yes we can all see my posts.
Better?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: The ley-stone is a pale replica of a true key. Like the key itself it serves as a tuning fork to merge the wielder's will with that of God, but on a far weaker level.

quote:

“Fynally, I wyll speak on the Ebon Devyl, or True Devyl.

A Devyl when he is born as Pallyd has many hundreds of Names, none of whych are useful to hym, a method of his Bynding that gyves Shape to rawest Chaos whyle styll allowyng him to be controlled. As he grows older he makes secret Bargayns with Fools and finds clever ways to lop these Names off, and thus metamorphoses, changing Color and Shape most drastycally. Thus does the Pallyd become Blue, the Blue become Crymson, the Crymson become Verdant, the Verdant become Gylded.

An Ebon Devyl has but a syngle Name. There are but a few Dozen in all of Creation.

I wyll speak no further on the matter of Devyl Bynding for the Hour grows most late and a Chyll is settlyng up my old Spyne..”

– Thulsa Drulle’s Daemonica Maleficum.

Alt: Spin Wheel and Laugh at God

quote:

“Sure I’ve got a few debts in me, and I’ve got the marks to prove it. But power’s quite the mistress, fool. Tell me, have you seen this before?”

– Splitpin, Devil Binder

Alt: Vladok, Grandfather of Dhuutholmel

quote:

“Them that’s young and well and free and yearn to do their part,

is tenth as worse as them that’s old with hunger in their hearts.”

-Folk saying, attributed to upper Shades

But first, let's see what's up with White Chain

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ho ho hum allison has gotten herself into a fine pickle by knowing nothing im sure itll turn out fine. :3:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
These recent K6BD pages have been pulling me in way more than the earlier ones did. There's a real sense of stakes and urgency, and it feels like we're actually watching the protagonist making her way through a story instead of being given D&D lore to read. It's hard to say whether the previous hundred pages of backstory were essential to make these parts work well, but I do think it's a shame that it didn't hit this kind of stride earlier because I'm probably not the only person who tried to read it once back in the day and bounced off the wall of homework before we got the part that feels like an actual story. I'm excited to see where it goes from here!

And with that out of the way, here's some

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

vyelkin posted:

These recent K6BD pages have been pulling me in way more than the earlier ones did. There's a real sense of stakes and urgency, and it feels like we're actually watching the protagonist making her way through a story instead of being given D&D lore to read. It's hard to say whether the previous hundred pages of backstory were essential to make these parts work well, but I do think it's a shame that it didn't hit this kind of stride earlier because I'm probably not the only person who tried to read it once back in the day and bounced off the wall of homework before we got the part that feels like an actual story. I'm excited to see where it goes from here!

Yeah, this is pretty much how K6BD was paced - the first chapter is you as the audience getting forcefully dunked into the deep end, with a whole lot of flavourful but ultimately meaningless detail drowning you at once, which very much matches how Allison feels. Then, once she decides to actually come back for a purpose, we get a much more steady and solid introduction to the relevant parts of the world with a proper plot pacing.

Essentially, we've reached the point where the story starts.

The classic! I never realised this was part of a continuity thing.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

vyelkin posted:

And with that out of the way, here's some

I had only ever seen the last one with the wizard and never knew there was a connecting comic strip to it. It still works on its own though.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much how K6BD was paced - the first chapter is you as the audience getting forcefully dunked into the deep end, with a whole lot of flavourful but ultimately meaningless detail drowning you at once, which very much matches how Allison feels. Then, once she decides to actually come back for a purpose, we get a much more steady and solid introduction to the relevant parts of the world with a proper plot pacing.

Essentially, we've reached the point where the story starts.

Yeah, I agree with this assessment. It's all gas no brakes from here on out.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

I think these beginning chapters work a lot better as a binge. The rough bits are weird enough to be worth engaging with for a while (IMO) and you can get to the good bits pretty quickly. But if I checked the comic out when it was on like page 60 and had to wait for more pages I can't really imagine that I would have bothered keeping up with it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

ho ho hum allison has gotten herself into a fine pickle by knowing nothing im sure itll turn out fine. :3:

fun fact: In Abbadon's original script, this was going to be a very old Red devil, which is why in their description it mentions they darken as they age and you see that worn out one a little earlier.

But a few people on this forum mistook it for an Ebon demon and asked him about it in between updates and he decided to run with it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

drat, thinkin' 'bout buttfuckin' and the wizard's shotguns in the same update. It's all gonna be downhill from here.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat, thinkin' 'bout buttfuckin' and the wizard's shotguns in the same update. It's all gonna be downhill from here.

this is fine

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thinkin' 'bout buttfuckin' the wizard's shotguns

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Pls don't

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Until it goes "click"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

rodbeard posted:

The plot thickens

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: A zombie ambushes Joost, but is dealt with easily! God holds his zombies back to go one on one with Joost! Joost swears to end Dio, for him and for those whose lives he's ended! Just as he steps forward, Dark Knight puts a hand on his shoulder!

Read right to left:

e: actually, I have to include the previous panel too. That face :allears: Just this whole thing lol

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Jan 6, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

[

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Jan 6, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/LilySimpson1312/status/1610742229227933701

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

that last panel is a slap in the face to high-school physics teachers and old-time trappers alike

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Motherfucker wanted the comic to look darker so he tinted the whole page, white borders and all.

Way to make my previous cheap edit look well planned and executed in comparison, you hack.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you dont get enough credit for your gimmick

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Why is this the Whomp I feel most discussed by? Do people actually call those Macaronies "Elbows"? That's so gross.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

:negative:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyway speaking of my posts, here's another one! This one contains some hell was full!!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why is this the Whomp I feel most discussed by? Do people actually call those Macaronies "Elbows"? That's so gross.

Most but not all American-made macaroni is sharply curved, hence the qualifier elbow macaroni to specify. You can have straight macaroni, slightly bent macaroni, etc.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

"THE FANS ... ARE ALWAYS
ON AT HIGH POWER"
is so dumb and i can't stop laughing at it

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ah, a proto-DeBonesby (even though Branson did not invent DeBonesby)

cant cook creole bream posted:

Do people actually call those Macaronies "Elbows"?

I've never heard them referred to as macaroni elbows, only as [uncountable]

Admiralty Flag posted:

elbow macaroni

Empty Sandwich has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Jan 6, 2023

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

can't wait for the thread to start covering HiaGB

Digamma-F-Wau has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Jan 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I just love that Sherlock Holmes wrote a character who is famous for saying a specific, non-Sherlock Holmes line