Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think my cats would knock over the deck in any of the stand-up docks I've seen. If there was one a bit more protected like the switch dock or even better a cradle I'd be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Barreft posted:

Hey before I shoot someone, I've got months on my Deck and was playing Zelda 2 hours ago, and now all of a sudden the Deck won't boot at all.

That's all I've seen for the last 2 hours. I can open the BIOS, see the 256 SSD, nothing.
I set it to verbose mode, it's checks the memory which is fine, then just.. does nothing.

I literally didn't loving do anything to this thing

Contact Valve support?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ChocNitty posted:

Contact Valve support?

Well yeah

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Barreft posted:

Hey before I shoot someone, I've got months on my Deck and was playing Zelda 2 hours ago, and now all of a sudden the Deck won't boot at all.

That's all I've seen for the last 2 hours. I can open the BIOS, see the 256 SSD, nothing.
I set it to verbose mode, it's checks the memory which is fine, then just.. does nothing.

I literally didn't loving do anything to this thing
Try making a recovery USB stick and looking into things from there?

RBA Starblade posted:

The JSAUX has been perfect for me, exactly what I need. I don't really know what the Valve one really brings to the table
For my use case, the Displayport functionality has been useful, I have mine hooked up to a KVM switch with my PC (also using Displayport), keyboard, and mouse for doing desktop mode stuff.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

Try making a recovery USB stick and looking into things from there?

For my use case, the Displayport functionality has been useful, I have mine hooked up to a KVM switch with my PC (also using Displayport), keyboard, and mouse for doing desktop mode stuff.

Tried with an old USB 3.0 but it looks like I'll need to go out tmw and buy a usb-c drive cause anything less takes hours or more. loving wild that 1. I don't do any booting stuff, I was playing WWHD, restarted the Deck and that was it. 2. There's no factory reset in the bios so you have to go buy a said usb-c stick if you don't already have one, and format with a 3rd party boot software.

And that's just if I can actually get the loving thing to boot with the usb-c I buy tmw.

Watch where you save in the Temple in Wind Waker after getting the 3 Orbs, it may kill your Deck lol

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry

Barreft posted:

Tried with an old USB 3.0 but it looks like I'll need to go out tmw and buy a usb-c drive cause anything less takes hours or more. loving wild that 1. I don't do any booting stuff, I was playing WWHD, restarted the Deck and that was it. 2. There's no factory reset in the bios so you have to go buy a said usb-c stick if you don't already have one, and format with a 3rd party boot software.

And that's just if I can actually get the loving thing to boot with the usb-c I buy tmw.

Watch where you save in the Temple in Wind Waker after getting the 3 Orbs, it may kill your Deck lol

I haven't had to do this yet, but since it's Linux you should be able to hook up a keyboard and hit ALT+F2 (or one of the other function keys I always forget which one it is) to bring up the "boot console" for lack of a better word. It may show you what the Deck is hanging on. Then again, I've done that on Linux servers before and sometimes the console just shows unrelated errors, but not what service or process the system is hanging/waiting on.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Barreft posted:

loving wild that 1. I don't do any booting stuff, I was playing WWHD, restarted the Deck and that was it. 2. There's no factory reset in the bios

Do you sometimes use an external monitor or connect to a TV? Did the problem happen when you unplugged your deck from that and then turned it on?

I get stuff like that sometimes, but not as bad as you got it. Some combination of volume and power buttons to boot resets something and fixes it for mine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/8bitdo/status/1610305112559259654?s=46&t=kvqn55Kg-oEbwjJBVdFTHA

Can confirm. The Ultimate Controller works now. When it released I couldn’t get the controller connected no matter what I tried. But now I just plugged in the 2.4hz dongle and it worked like a charm.

Huh? I have used an SN30 and a Pro 2 and they have always just worked with no problems whatsoever, since a few months ago

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Huh? I have used an SN30 and a Pro 2 and they have always just worked with no problems whatsoever, since a few months ago

Those are regular bluetooth, I assume this is more about wired and 2.4ghz dongle compatibility which the ultimate controllers are.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Barreft posted:

Tried with an old USB 3.0 but it looks like I'll need to go out tmw and buy a usb-c drive cause anything less takes hours or more.

I don't understand what you mean by this? What is taking hours?

Edit have you tried putting it in and out of Battery Ship mode? Go to the "Long term storage" section here:
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/69E3-14AF-9764-4C28
I've run into problems where something happened to the APU or whatever and basically couldn't boot. Apparently putting it into battery ship mode resets some kind of safety override that slows down the system.

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 5, 2023

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

today's annoying fiddly problem: Recettear audio doesn't work. all the advice online is just "switch to GE proton" but I tried that with many different GE versions from ProtonUp-Qt and... still nothin'

can't win em all with this thing

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DioField Chronicle is a(nother) perfect deck game.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

did anybody else have a system update that took like an hour and errored and took another hour and still isn't done?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Marx Headroom posted:

I don't understand what you mean by this? What is taking hours?

Edit have you tried putting it in and out of Battery Ship mode? Go to the "Long term storage" section here:
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/69E3-14AF-9764-4C28
I've run into problems where something happened to the APU or whatever and basically couldn't boot. Apparently putting it into battery ship mode resets some kind of safety override that slows down the system.

The only USB Stick I have is over 5 years old, so it took over 2 hours to load up the SteamOS .img from their site. I let it run over night after going to bed waiting for 2 hours.

I woke up to the factory reset menu and now everything is fine. I'm definitely going to have to get a faster USB stick and also it's just weird you can factory reset in the deck itself, but in the bios you need to run an .img through 3rd party booting software to reset it if it won't boot. Learning experiences with Linux I guess, I have no idea why it stopped in the first place

e: just for something that made me feel alright and to pass on maybe, Emudeck's cloudsave beta thing did work to restore my cloud saves after resetting my Deck and formatting the SD card. So that was comforting to know I can sort of count on as a backup

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 6, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Anyone have any Linux Tech Tips as to how the hell I can get my taskbar back?

edit: Nevermind, it's back... :psyduck:

Only when docked, on a certain monitor and not on the Deck screen. What the gently caress. lmao

sigher fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 6, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Complaint: Valve did something to screw up the Steam Input templates. There's like six versions of "Keyboard (WASD) and Mouse" and the first four don't even enable the mouse!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t pay much attention to those templates after repeatedly encountering “official” ones that were all kinds of messed up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Well yeah most official layouts are junk, which is why I create my own from Valve's templates. They were good at one time.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this software, but I never could get SMB working with my Deck. Gave this program a shot and it works pretty good for mounting a Steam Deck f(EXT4) ormatted SD card in Windows.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/linuxfs-windows/

There is a trial version, but I ended up buying a copy. Found a coupon code that knocked the price down to $15.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don’t pay much attention to those templates after repeatedly encountering “official” ones that were all kinds of messed up.

The Warframe official layout especially is unplayably bad, but it's absolutely fine if you change it to just the default gamepad layout.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Did I misunderstand the posts about EmuDeck and save syncing to One Drive?

The setting in EmuDeck says its backup only, not syncing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Annath posted:

Did I misunderstand the posts about EmuDeck and save syncing to One Drive?

The setting in EmuDeck says its backup only, not syncing.

This is correct right now, syncing is a planned future feature but right now it's just manual backup.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
How hard is setting up Playstation Plus cloud streaming? I vaguely remember looking at it in late summer and it seemed like a huge pain.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
A little late to the Metroidvania discussion, but I just finished Astalon: Tears of the Earth this morning and liked it a lot. Decent story, it's paced really well, all of the upgrades feel rewarding, the map is huge, and there are multiple playable characters that you have to switch between to solve puzzles. The only complaint I would have is that the bosses become pushovers towards the end of the game (ymmv depending on how much you upgrade your characters, I guess) and there's a true ending that you have to get 100% map completion to see, and I think if I had tried to push for that it might have outstayed its welcome. Really great otherwise, though!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does anyone else feel the urge after doing a bunch of tinkering to just do a full wipe and reinstall of everything?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jokes posted:

Does anyone else feel the urge after doing a bunch of tinkering to just do a full wipe and reinstall of everything?

back when I used Windows (yuck) this was basically mandatory every few months lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

what on earth were you doing to your poor computer

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I haven’t had to reinstall windows for like 6 years because I just stopped breaking poo poo to make it work the way I wanted it to and got used to doing things their way

Feels good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I had a computer start having BSOD problems once, in college, it was running XP and I had, I think, just installed Arcanum: Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura? Anyway that's the only time I've had to flatten and reinstall and it was a good fifteen years ago

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I ruined a previous laptop by going to a pirated-games download site while running IE and getting so many viruses that they were more in control of the machine than I was, but just used that as justification to get a new laptop because it was old and lovely by then anyway

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

loquacius posted:

I ruined a previous laptop by going to a pirated-games download site while running IE and getting so many viruses that they were more in control of the machine than I was, but just used that as justification to get a new laptop because it was old and lovely by then anyway

Wish I could do this with my dick

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Unusual question but has anyone figured out a way to output audio to a pair of headphones wired through a controller (which is wired into a JSAUX dock)?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Big Jesus posted:

Wish I could do this with my dick

flatten and reinstall

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I was thinking about getting RollerDrome but upon checking it out I saw there is no multiplayer component. The game still looks interesting but I was under the false assumption that it did have PvP.

Can anyone highly recommend it? I do like games in the genre (Jet Set, THPS, various other extreme sports)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also, Armored Core 2 seems to run real bad in emulators. Textures scramble and the UI dies in seconds sometimes.

e: lol it's texture offset issues nvm

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

loquacius posted:

what on earth were you doing to your poor computer

Seriously. I have never had to reinstall Windows 7 or 10. Just fresh installs on new hardware.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To answer my own question I am pretty sure there's no real support for controller jacks, unfortunately

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think the last time I had to actually full-reinstall windows was XP, and that was just because I had gotten a new hard drive, wanted to repartition the C drive and was too lazy to clear out "junk" data. I don't think I had the OS up and die on me since... Windows 98?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grand Fromage posted:

Seriously. I have never had to reinstall Windows 7 or 10. Just fresh installs on new hardware.

I reinstalled Windows 10 to get rid of broken iCloud links in Explorer that I couldn’t figure out how to get rid of, in spite of much research. Hard but not impossible to blame Microsoft for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I used to do that to my PCs (90s and 2000s) to clean stuff off of it every year or two but now with giant cheap hard drives and no noticeable slow down I don't feel the need like before.