Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ember Island Players is the best recap episode that any cartoon has ever had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mystes posted:

Ember Island Players is the best recap episode that any cartoon has ever had

Korra’s recap episode was pretty decent as well honestly (especially the multi-way phone call between all the primary villains)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Junpei posted:

I was quoting Ember Island Players.

Goddamnit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sokka absolutely losing his mind when the actor says "slapapow!" is one of the funniest things

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think my favorite bit is Toph's actor. The build up, how loving zany it goes iwth "i use supersonic waves by screaming" and Toph pogging while everyone else was hoping she'd be annoyed was just the perfect bit.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My favorite bit is the kid who tells Zuko his scar is on the wrong side.

Or maybe Play Azula distracting Play Zuko with "What's that? I think it's your honor!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"The Beach" is also the best beach episode. :colbert:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
MY NAME IS TOPH, CUZ I'M TOUGH

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Ember Island Players isn't really a recap episode, (the play doesn't do a great job of retelling the story, it's more focused on making jokes about the show's history and the fandom's response to it), but it is an episode about the characters, their emotions, and their relationships with each other, which is where Avatar is usually at it's best.

On the other hand, it also has the absolute worst part of Aang and Katara's romantic arc, with Aang going to Katara and asking "did you really mean all that stuff you said on stage", which is bad enough to bring down the rest of the episode for me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Dawgstar posted:

"The Beach" is also the best beach episode. :colbert:

I love that that episode is just Azula trying and failing to act like a normal human.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

GODDAMN IT

any of you hear about this? looks like the new management at hbo/discovery/whatever isn't finished with their animation slaughter just yet. hbomax is going to be removing both justice leagues this month:

quote:

HBO Max is getting rid of two highly acclaimed DC Animated series off its streaming service - as well as two others.

https://thedirect.com/article/hbo-max-dc-shows-removal

i've been taking my time with my re-watch for various personal reasons, but hell i JUST started the second season of JL! there's still so much left to go. these two shows were two of the main reasons why i even signed up for hbomax in the first place!

poo poo, i may have to just buy the blu-rays now

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

FilthyImp posted:

MY NAME IS TOPH, CUZ I'M TOUGH

:byodood: THERE, I GOT A PRETTY GOOD LOOK AT YOU.

I kept hoping there would be a shiny metal reference since it was a John DiMaggio, but I'm happy with what we got.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
About the only motivation for getting rid of the DCAU without announcing any new location seems to be hoping to memory hole them so whatever new garbage they poo poo out looks good by comparison.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There is a new location, Hulu I think.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This kinda goes hand in hand with the whole Avatar thing for me. Of course Paramount+'s demise won't be nearly as trashy as HBOmax's, but I really doubt P+ projects set for 3 years from now will actually come out. I feel like across the board direct-to-streaming shows are going to get killed off in like two years.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

There is a new location, Hulu I think.

are you sure about this?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Urgh, crusty old fans who don't like changes are the worst. Some TMNT fans were annoyed that I liked Rise's portrayal of Donnie as autistic, saying it was unnecessary or annoying.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

As a certified 'tismal, I'm not sure what I find more infuriating - the reactionary disgust at autistic characters, or the fact that it's still so goddamn impossible to portray an autistic character in any way other than cloying caricature, even when you're sympathetic or even even when there are autistic people making the drat thing.

Rise Donnie is well above average, I guess, he gets to be annoying-on-purpose and have agency and self-awareness in a way few other autistic (coded) characters do, but so many characters who get autism applied to them in headcanons or interviews are either just amoral invader zim knockoffs, or the same ditz stock characters cartoons have had for 50 years.

The ONLY - and I mean ONLY - time I've seen all ages/family media feature an autistic character who is 1) a real-rear end human being and not an alien robot, 2) uses the word "autism" to describe themselves in spoken dialogue, and 3) manages to still be a character with agency, opinions, political awareness, and body autonomy...

Is goddamn Billy from the 2017 version of Power Rangers. The live action movie nobody liked. THE ONLY ONE.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

im an adult, shows bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

The ONLY - and I mean ONLY - time I've seen all ages/family media feature an autistic character who is 1) a real-rear end human being and not an alien robot, 2) uses the word "autism" to describe themselves in spoken dialogue, and 3) manages to still be a character with agency, opinions, political awareness, and body autonomy...

Is goddamn Billy from the 2017 version of Power Rangers. The live action movie nobody liked. THE ONLY ONE.

Well, from what I've seen everybody liked the characters it's just it had nothing for the Power Rangers side. The larger point still stands, though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

it's true, it's not a very good action movie.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Funnily enough when I think of a "clearly meant as autistic" character type my mind immediately jumps to the glasses-wearing, hyper-analytical, "I've calculated your every move in advance" type. But that's more of an anime thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Entrapta from She-Ra wasn't bad (a little cliche but still very much her own character), but they fail on #2, although to be fair I don't know that the diagnosis would exist in the setting. They're extremely clear about it in her depiction though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 11, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Marcy from Amphibia wasn’t too bad either but kind of fails a bit on 2 (though her depiction makes it pretty clear she’s on the spectrum) and 3

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 11, 2023

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Donnie from Rise is confirmed autistic by one of the people who worked on the show (I think a writer?) and I’ve seen a few videos on YouTube (literally only two) that mentioned this and explained why they think he’s a good representation of an autistic person.

Also there’s a character from Hero Elementary on PBS that I believe actually says he’s autistic in the show. I’ve caught that show quite a few times when having PBS Kids on in the background.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Entrapta from She-Ra wasn't bad (a little cliche but still very much her own character), but they fail on #2, although to be fair I don't know that the diagnosis would exist in the setting. They're extremely clear about it in her depiction though.

Entrapta is fine but she still talks like loving GIR.

I don't care what cast and crew say about whether characters are autistic. It's always screamingly obvious when a character is built on autistic traits, I don't need a press release to tell me that. What I want are characters whose autism is something the character has a political and social awareness of.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 11, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One of the secondary characters on Girl Meets World, Smackle, was aware of their autism diagnosis. Her boyfriend had a possible diagnosis and they did a whole episode where he wrestled with the implications. Smackle was kind of the weird robot smart kid at the start though

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also there’s a character from Hero Elementary on PBS that I believe actually says he’s autistic in the show. I’ve caught that show quite a few times when having PBS Kids on in the background.
Yeah, that one is pretty fair from a kid's POV.

The character has narrow interests and sounds a little socially awkward. He's pretty good on the team but definitely is aware of triggers and will react pretty realistically to them (i.e. inaction because a piece of kit is missing, aware of being annoyed by texture/sound).

It's definitely a primer for kids to stop and think about why a classmate might be a little different, in other words.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Isn’t the female lead from Dead End Park, Norma, on the spectrum? What did people think of her representation in that regard?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kermit The Grog posted:

Isn’t the female lead from Dead End Park, Norma, on the spectrum? What did people think of her representation in that regard?

Norma’s autistic? I never really got that feeling aside from her being socially awkward and having an encyclopedic knowledge of old movies (but then again, I might have missed something)

Speaking of, I really hope that show gets picked up for a third season eventually (though I believe the original webcomic that inspired the show is being released as a graphic novel at some point soon)

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
Hero Elementary is actually not a bad kids show overall. It's not Bluey good or anything like that but I don't hate when my 4 year old wants to watch it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, seems the new Velma show on HBO isn’t looking too good:

https://twitter.com/IronAidanD/status/1612873791507468304

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GSm_Y3yS7bA

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I still think "adult Scooby Doo" isn't an irredeemable premise, Venture Brothers is basically a half step away from that. You just need really good writers and actual jokes. I know this is like saying you just need to make a good show instead of a bad one, but.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Current science on autism is moving pretty quickly and the current "spectrum" model of understanding it is barely a decade old, and in addition it's not really socially proper or common to talk at length to others about your particular brain issues, so there's a lot of ways that social understanding about it in specific is going to be behind, and depicting it specifically is going to be rarer.

Meanwhile, many of the traits that the concept of the autism spectrum was created to describe have been known about and depicted in one sense or another for a very long time.

mycot posted:

I still think "adult Scooby Doo" isn't an irredeemable premise, Venture Brothers is basically a half step away from that. You just need really good writers and actual jokes. I know this is like saying you just need to make a good show instead of a bad one, but.

Not even half a step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMhCLZ_ZuxQ

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Meanwhile, many of the traits that the concept of the autism spectrum was created to describe have been known about and depicted in one sense or another for a very long time.

true I just wonder what train spotters did before trains.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, seems the new Velma show on HBO isn’t looking too good:

https://twitter.com/IronAidanD/status/1612873791507468304

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GSm_Y3yS7bA

wow that sounds bad, like you cant just throw in hip kid lingo vocab words and not be cringe or based.

also seems like theyre trying tooo hard at something. not to mention weird re interpretations of characters. like Shag being soooo straight edge I'm not sure its a double or triple fakeout

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ostensibly, these are the character descriptions released for the casting call.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Shame. Back when there wasn't much to go on I was kinda rooting for this and now it just looks sad and lame.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Was 75% checked out at the goofy Riverdale dialogue, checked out completely when Fred chops a guy's leg off in a moment of Ultra Goofy Adult Cartoon Random Violence. Form without function.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

This reads like whoever was in charge in the writers’ room just said yes to every idea. Like, it seems like the show will just be a headache- inducing barrage of “dark backstory” reveals and teens angstily coming to terms with their parents and their identities.

On the plus side, the song in the trailer is by the Linda Lindas, and the Linda Lindas rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Android Blues posted:

Was 75% checked out at the goofy Riverdale dialogue, checked out completely when Fred chops a guy's leg off in a moment of Ultra Goofy Adult Cartoon Random Violence. Form without function.
LOL, I saw that in the trailer and was thinking "is this a dream sequence or something?"
Like, another student's leg gets chopped off and it's just kind of a gag?