Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hatebag posted:

Yeah, i get that the books are cooked i just don't know what other measurements to use that would be closer to reality and i suspect it would take more than 5 minutes of googling to figure out

This is just like the german military budget, going to have to wait a while and see how things shake out.

The most obvious bad things about US economy are inflation and interest rates. Inflation being more than 2% is supposed to be bad, doesn't matter if it's steady or whatever, interest rates still going up in US is also a sign of "things are bad", every currency in the world falling compared to the USD is also a sign of things not being normal.

I doubt there are any measurements that will tell you what's really happening, because I imagine most people don't know either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

anyways back to ukraine chat i dont want to hijack for economics chat since we have a megathread

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This is a chat thread where people just vibe about whatever they feel like at the moment.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

richard wolff is a good watch for economics

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

This is just like the german military budget, going to have to wait a while and see how things shake out.

The most obvious bad things about US economy are inflation and interest rates. Inflation being more than 2% is supposed to be bad, doesn't matter if it's steady or whatever, interest rates still going up in US is also a sign of "things are bad", every currency in the world falling compared to the USD is also a sign of things not being normal.

I doubt there are any measurements that will tell you what's really happening, because I imagine most people don't know either.

Yeah, things are bad. Food's expensive, rent's going up, and pay is effectively going down but i think that's just how things are going to go subsequent to covid starting.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Hatebag posted:

Yeah, i get that the books are cooked i just don't know what other measurements to use that would be closer to reality and i suspect it would take more than 5 minutes of googling to figure out

Material analysis of the state of the working class is mostly done by experiencing it, I guess. Lucky you!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cromulent_Chill posted:

Material analysis of the state of the working class is mostly done by experiencing it, I guess. Lucky you!

No, you need to figure out how many yards of linen go into a coat and other fun activities with numbers

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hatebag posted:

No, you need to figure out how many yards of linen go into a coat and other fun activities with numbers

I've got a super-fun equation for calculating value, but not THAT type of value, a totally other type of value, no not that one either.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The media in the US is definitely gaslighting people, cause every so often I see an article about how inflation is easing and motherfucker the bread is still 50% more expensive than before the war started, rice fluctuates between 15% to 30% more expensive in any given week. Meats are still super expensive and so are the eggs. On what is the inflation easing?

well the eggs are expensive also because the chickens got sick. there was an avian flu outbreak recently and that's loving eggs price on top of everything.

costco has gone to selling eggs in lots of 90 to save people about $1/dozen

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Jan 6, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

eggs were already skirting like $5 the flu thing jumped them right up to $7-8 around here

also chicken

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There is no ceasefire treaty, remember? Ukriane rejected the Christmas ceasefire.

It was never a treaty, Putin still ordered them to not fire though.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Hatebag posted:

and you must calculate the costs in a duodecimal currency or it doesnt count

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/InnaSovsun/status/1611321574908477440

:thunk:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

This is pretty much Megan McArdle and Malcom Gladwell’s jobs, correct?

I’m married to a working economist so I just tune it out tbh. We have a new book on the coffee table or her bookshelf every month about how everything is great, the Economist weekly, the Globe and Mail daily.

drat man, if i were you i'd invest in warding rituals to negate all the ambient emissions of psychic damage in your home

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Cromulent_Chill posted:

:nallears: Anyone who does their own grocery shopping can see this. Lose your arrogance.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Leandros posted:

It was a directive from the president delegating the minister of defense with enacting a cease fire period :eng101:

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

:nallears: Anyone who does their own grocery shopping can see this. Lose your arrogance.

That was my poorly stated point. I was trying to say that people experiencing strife is a more valid barometer of the state of things than jobs reports or the gdp. I did a poor job of that, so direct your ire towards that part of my personality I guess.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Eh...at this point there is an expectation of a recession in 2023 in a large part due to fed rate increases/energy prices. I don't know how that flew by people but it has been in the news a while.

Also, housing prices are probably going to come under more pressure, the more pricey markets like SF are seeing steep decreases. Yeah, the US far from just avoided the issues happening in Europe.

Leandros posted:

Technically, Russian forces could respond to Ukrainian fire, basically there wasn't a ceasefire

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Jan 6, 2023

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Technically, Russian forces could respond to Ukrainian fire, basically there wasn't a ceasefire

Any cease fire is null and void if one side still shoot.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

This is pretty much Megan McArdle and Malcom Gladwell’s jobs, correct?

I’m married to a working economist so I just tune it out tbh. We have a new book on the coffee table or her bookshelf every month about how everything is great, the Economist weekly, the Globe and Mail daily.

:sever:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My peony has a broken peepee

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

war is often harder on the peon than the warchief

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

yeah this line is even bouncing off the redditor braintrust, a couple comments calling this out piercing through the worldnews safe space (three or four comment threads down from the usual "Slava Ukrainis" and "lying Putlers," but still)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1611442423154225152

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Must be a pretty big army now with all the stuff we've sent over so far

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finally they're getting some gavins

Also just read the wiki article on the amx10 and it turns out it doesn't have a gun stabilizer and uses non-standard 105 ammo. Mince meat.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Putin violated the ceasefire to show us that he could violate the ceasefire if Ukraine had accepted it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

No but you see healthcare is too expensive.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Merry Christmas!

I did some reading on the AMX-10s and they seem like the most awful thing in the world to maintain.

Hatebag posted:

Inflation is high but steady year over year. gdp is up 3.2% for the 3rd quarter 2022. Stocks are down a little but i don't think that's 100% attributable to the war. Hell, dow is about where it was when the war started. I don't really see any big losses due to the war tbh

Inflation in the USA seems to be up significantly.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

When you adjust the DOW for inflation, it's down 11.5%

Cpt_Obvious posted:

America is squeezing a lot of money out of Europe due to this war. Not only are there gonna be big boosts in weapon sales, but they've embargoed one of their biggest petroleum rivals allowing them to jack up the price of gas and oil. This is causing the European economy to crash, which means all the capital is fleeing to America which is why the euro/pound are eating poo poo and the dollar is stronger than ever.

Meanwhile, the stock market is lmao

I'm too lazy to do much digging but Brent crude is slightly cheaper in Europe than at the beginning of 2021.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah that's called demand destruction, when the price surges so high that people lower their consumption to compensate.

Meanwhile, oil company profits are record high.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

those inflation numbers are catastrophic hahah

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Another full shooting Regiment of 105mm guns eh?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

are RAAM any different than a standard landmine?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Vomik posted:

are RAAM any different than a standard landmine?

20% more kid killing power

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

yellowcar posted:

Prevents life-changing maiming of children by obliterating them.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh lol that was this thing

ПриZрак Новороссии posted:

Для инфы
Противотанковая, противоднищевая мина
М70(М73, М75)
Является элементом наземной системами минирования GЕМS, АDАТМ, RAAM.
Тактико-технические характеристики мины 
Тип мины – противотанковая, противоднищевая кумулятивная
Корпус - металл.
Масса - 1.7 кг.
Масса взрывчатого вещества (RDX) - 585 г.
Диаметр - 12 см.
Высота - 6 см.
Датчик цели - магнитный
Чувствительность - 100 см.по нормали к плоскости мины (с обеих сторон)
Время перевода в боевое положение - 45-60 сек.
Мина М70 имеет время боевой работы 4 часа. 9 штук этих мин помещаются в 155 мм. гаубичном снаряде М741.

Мина М73 имеет время боевой работы 48 часов. 9 штук этих мин помещаются в 155 мм. гаубичном снаряде М718.

Мина М75 имеет время боевой работы 5 или15 суток

Противник применяет дмп. Доведите. Проверьте районы

Метал к ней не подносите и обходят пусть стороной

Даже наклоняться перед ней нельзя

В броне и с металлом автомат и тд
(from t.me/ghost_of_novorossia/9066, via tgsa)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I posted the stuff about it earlier, it was a Fulda Gap thing and alongside DPICM the reason NATO adopted 155mm for field artillery when 105mm is a better calibre in most cases for field guns.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I posted the stuff about it earlier, it was a Fulda Gap thing and alongside DPICM the reason NATO adopted 155mm for field artillery when 105mm is a better calibre in most cases for field guns.

I get the feeling the West really just gives the Ukrainians everything they don't want. Also yeah the AMX 10 has got a lot of issues and shouldn't be near the frontline, if anything most of the stuff being send the the Ukrainians.

-----

Also, I have seen contrary reports to the "shell famine" narrative, it seems like with the progress the Russians have been making probably wouldn't be happening if they didn't have shells for their guns.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Jan 6, 2023

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

yellowcar posted:

even after this war is gone there will still be children in the dnr/lnp getting murdered by American weaponry. the gift that keeps on giving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Ardennes posted:

I get the feeling the West really just gives the Ukrainians everything they don't want. Also yeah the AMX 10 has got a lot of issues and shouldn't be near the frontline, if anything most of the stuff being send the the Ukrainians.

-----

Also, I have seen contrary reports to the "shell famine" narrative, it seems like with the progress the Russians have been making probably wouldn't be happening if they didn't have shells for their guns.

I mean it's really hard to judge how the Russians stand with shell inventories because from what I understand

1) the amount of shells they historically produced / had available at the start of the war is not actually a known quantity
2) the amount of shells they have produced post-sanctions this last year is not a known quantity
3) it is not actually known how many shells they fire a day and tough to estimate because there are large sections of the front where they may use artillery not at all or very sparingly whereas there are sections of the front where they are outgunning the Ukrainians by a very wide margin

All of the % remaining estimations you see presented in the western media are typically based off of estimates of pre-war inventories, assumptions of well below replacement level production (or in some cases no production) of shells by Russia since the war started, and estimates of usage that seem to be calculated by taking the amount of shells the Ukrainians claim to be shooting a day and then multiplying it by some factor based on guess work and 3rd hand reporting..