Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nessus posted:

You got bucket?

Geez, man, you can’t just ask someone if they got bucket, have some tact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Has information about the monarch questline been compiled anywhere yet? I'm intrigued by it, but the clues are fairly opaque and I'm not sure what they're implying apart from "continue excavating obsidian pillars"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bad Munki posted:

Geez, man, you can’t just ask someone if they got bucket, have some tact
It's current year, choom, this is a matter of public safety.

But I think bucket shortage is a leading cause of a lot of mystery bullshit.

I've been trying to generate a world with a specific situation and I'd appreciate guidance on how to make a gen that increases it's odds. I want a desert (the kind with sparse trees, not none a la badlands) which can have a volcano and will ideally be one of them volcanoes which is neither a giant lava-dick sixteen Z-levels over everything OR part of a ridiculously contorted mountain. At or near ground level is ideal, but I'll also take "set in a mountain that isn't, like, sixty Z-levels high."

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

I start the game with one dedicated cook (who doesn't really do anything but cook) and one dedicated brewer (who doesn't really do anything but make booze) and I build a kitchen and still ASAP. After that, I keep "prepare a [blank] meal" and "brew drink from [blank]" on repeat, checking periodically to make sure that I haven't run out of barrels or whatever. I make fairly small farm plots (maybe 10x10 or so) one downstairs for plump helmets, one upstairs (surrounded by a wall, accessible by a staircase) for strawberries or whatever. I raise chickens, sheep, and goats for meat. I buy lots of meat, fish, and produce from caravans.

When the population hits 100 or so, I make a second kitchen and a second still. When I can, I buy out the caravan's supply of meat, fish, drinks, and brewable produce.

This is overkill, but nobody starves and nobody dies of thirst.

Nice. That seems reasonable. A follow-up question I have is: why not have a standing work order for "Make 10 Rock Pots/Wooden Barrels if empty pots/barrels is <10?"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Venuz Patrol posted:

Has information about the monarch questline been compiled anywhere yet? I'm intrigued by it, but the clues are fairly opaque and I'm not sure what they're implying apart from "continue excavating obsidian pillars"

A few of us here have completed the questline if you're curious, though it's not all that involved.

After fulfilling your monarch's needs, the "7 objects" they will ask for are the "Treasures of the gods" you sometimes find in gem deposits or inside the gem pillars near the magma sea. You will need to gather 7 of these and assign them to your monarch to fulfill that goal. The throne needs to be made out of adamantine wafers, you probably know how to get those.
The reward is: You are now a mountainhome, congratulations! It changes the "Capital" to "Mountainhome", aaaaaand that's pretty much it it seems.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 6, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Jinnigan posted:

beta for new Dwarf Therapist is out. no i dont know what it does. i expect that some of you will be highly excited for it though. https://github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/tag/df0.50-test1

You know how dwarves have preference or dislike for crafting or combat and poo poo like that? Things they like and dislike? Dwarf Therapist let's you easily manage that and assign dwarves to tasks they like/won't despise, among other things.

A big thing in previous versions was also allowing mass labor assignments

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Can I make a stockpile for mechanisms? I'd like to dump all my less than masterwork ones for making better traps without tedious menu fuckery

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Mechanisms should be a subcategory of "furniture".

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jinnigan posted:

i have a question for youse guys. what's your rule of thumb for having 'enough' food for your dwarves? like in a supply chain i might think "oh i just got 10 more immigrants, i should plop down 2 more food buildings."

I just import all of my food and let the chefs go hogwild once I have ~50 dwarfs

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Jinnigan posted:

Nice. That seems reasonable. A follow-up question I have is: why not have a standing work order for "Make 10 Rock Pots/Wooden Barrels if empty pots/barrels is <10?"

No reason not to. When I get errors that I am out of wood, its time to designate trees for chopping. Barrel production must continue!

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I hope DF Hack might be able to help with the tavern system.

I've set up a separate visitor tavern outside. However it can't be completely left alone. There's been cases where a fight breaks out and somebody ends up dead on the floor. The instigator is always a zombie and the victims are always nobles, so I think these are necromancers' assassination plots playing out in my fort. This only seems to happen if there's a way to path into the fort, during caravan arrivals for example, but I'm not entirely sure.

The bodies have to be retrieved in case a necromancer drops by and ends up in a fight, since the resurrection loops will destroy my FPS. The gates and remotely locked tavern doors are opened, but the attacks do something to the loyalty system. My dwarves will approach and attack the nobles, since they've somehow become enemies of the fort. My tombs are full of barons, and my fort has four of them, having inherited their positions from the carnage.

Removing all visitor zones doesn't help, since noble visitors will still arrive but their pathfinding will break at map edge. They'll be stuck until invaders take them out, which results in a steady uptick of social mobility.

Having tools to reset faction loyalty and fixing necromancer loops would be great.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nessus posted:

You got bucket?

so many buckets.

though, perhaps my beautiful idiot dwarves used every bucket for lye?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

so many buckets.

though, perhaps my beautiful idiot dwarves used every bucket for lye?
It could be. That's the kind of poo poo those idiots would do. Try making like three extra (in case a couple walk off) and see if you can do it

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nessus posted:

I've been trying to generate a world with a specific situation and I'd appreciate guidance on how to make a gen that increases it's odds. I want a desert (the kind with sparse trees, not none a la badlands) which can have a volcano and will ideally be one of them volcanoes which is neither a giant lava-dick sixteen Z-levels over everything OR part of a ridiculously contorted mountain. At or near ground level is ideal, but I'll also take "set in a mountain that isn't, like, sixty Z-levels high."

My recipe for volcano-on-a-flatland was to get into the weighted ranges for elevation and volcanism. All of this was done when generating a large region (not island, sounds like that makes for a ton of soil layers, like a TON.)

I left all the elevation ranges at 1 except the last (80-100) I set to 100. This makes for a smooth world with spikes. I think if you set (0-20) to 100 instead, you'd end up with a ton of flat all over. Maybe you'd want (20-40) to be 100 instead for some low hills and little else.

Same thing for volcanism, I went for a heavily weighted upper end to make things tend towards higher volcanism most of the time. That is, (80-100) = 100, all others 1.

Then I set the minimum number of volcanoes to, like, 40 or something.

I think to get your moderate deserts, maybe you could set Rain (20-40) to 100 and that'll get you minimal rainfall all over without being totally parched. Maybe something similar with Temperature in (60-80) or (80-100)?

I think all those combined may yield an intersection of the traits you want.

And then don't forget to turn down the number of years, the custom world generator defaults to 250 and that's excessive.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Jinnigan posted:

This is a good idea! Pre-steam I've had problems running out of barrels and not noticing.

I'm still getting used to the steam work order system, but I like that kind of automation. I've currently got standing orders to milk all my ewes and nanny goats once a month, and then make cheese once a quarter. A separate order shears all my sheep (ewes and rams) every month and spins yarn every quarter.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

My recipe for volcano-on-a-flatland was to get into the weighted ranges for elevation and volcanism. All of this was done when generating a large region (not island, sounds like that makes for a ton of soil layers, like a TON.)

I left all the elevation ranges at 1 except the last (80-100) I set to 100. This makes for a smooth world with spikes. I think if you set (0-20) to 100 instead, you'd end up with a ton of flat all over. Maybe you'd want (20-40) to be 100 instead for some low hills and little else.

Same thing for volcanism, I went for a heavily weighted upper end to make things tend towards higher volcanism most of the time. That is, (80-100) = 100, all others 1.

Then I set the minimum number of volcanoes to, like, 40 or something.

I think to get your moderate deserts, maybe you could set Rain (20-40) to 100 and that'll get you minimal rainfall all over without being totally parched. Maybe something similar with Temperature in (60-80) or (80-100)?

I think all those combined may yield an intersection of the traits you want.

And then don't forget to turn down the number of years, the custom world generator defaults to 250 and that's excessive.
Interesting. So it sounds like if I do the elevation ranges like you're saying along with somewhat lower rainfall, I'll probably get something with more of the sietch action I want without literally creating Arrakis.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Can I make a stockpile for mechanisms? I'd like to dump all my less than masterwork ones for making better traps without tedious menu fuckery

Two stockpiles, both only furniture->mechanisms. One with only good qualities selected, one with only not-good qualities selected.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, items get "Acquired" by dwarves when they haul them, right? Would it be possible to set up an automated process of loading a minecart with crafted objects, set it off to make it spill them all over the floor, then have your dwarves haul them back to the cart/a nearby stockpile?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Azhais posted:

Until your drat cooks turn everything into dwarven ale roasts. I always make sure to turn off cooking plump helmets and at least one booze type

I wish I could get them to use my loving dwarven syrup without an elaborate stockpile setup

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Broken Cog posted:

So, items get "Acquired" by dwarves when they haul them, right? Would it be possible to set up an automated process of loading a minecart with crafted objects, set it off to make it spill them all over the floor, then have your dwarves haul them back to the cart/a nearby stockpile?

I put my new clothes in a big no-bin stockpile because I read somewhere that this fulfills the 'acquire item' need, but that might be bullshit. But it lets me tell at a glance what clothes I'm running low on so I keep doing it

I've also noticed dwarfs grabbing the nicest crafts from my export pile and wearing them, I think that's probably the main way that need gets fulfilled, dwarfs claiming sceptres and jewelry they like

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

I've thought about this myself, along with how to fulfill "craft something" unmet needs with unskilled dwarves.

One thing is that they definitely keep various items; I once saw a citizen elf with six dolomite crowns on her head. If you have a lot of crafts, there's a good chance some of your random dwarves are wearing or holding all kinds of stuff.

Something I've been considering is making a battery of ~16 craftdwarfsshops, and then a work order to make ~50 or so crafts every season. Crafts are opened to "everyone can do this" and skilled craftsdwarves get their own workshops and orders.

Put the battery in the middle of a high-traffic area, like around the staircase between workshops and living quarters. Make custom stockpiles for low-quality goods and shovel it off to the elves and humans. Ideally, 16 shops should give all the "craft something" need a chance to do their thing, and "acquire something" dwarves can snag it when the goods get hauled to the stockpile.

Does that sound like it'll work?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I wish I could get them to use my loving dwarven syrup without an elaborate stockpile setup

I don't even plant sweet pods anymore. The syrup just floods every stockpile

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

johnny park posted:

I don't even plant sweet pods anymore. The syrup just floods every stockpile
You can cook it can't you? You have to have something to cook with it of course.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nessus posted:

You can cook it can't you? You have to have something to cook with it of course.

It's lowest-priority for cooking. You have to force them to use it by setting up a one-tile stockpile with no barrels for the solid item, and then a bunch of syrup stockpiles. Sucks because it's super efficient for cooking but just a nightmare to actually cook with.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's lowest-priority for cooking. You have to force them to use it by setting up a one-tile stockpile with no barrels for the solid item, and then a bunch of syrup stockpiles. Sucks because it's super efficient for cooking but just a nightmare to actually cook with.
Can't you set something up with only syrup plus whatever cookable you have a shitload of and have that feed into your kitchen, then spam Lavish Meal?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The mood system is so drat weird,

This kid is at orange mood.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the answer is probably to set your farmers workshops to take from a stockpile without sweet pods, so your work order to automatically process pig tail doesn't produce a bunch of syrup on the side. Then you can make rum in peace

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Broken Cog posted:

Does he have any unmet needs? Those don't always show up as thoughts but they're very important

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

cheetah7071 posted:

Does he have any unmet needs? Those don't always show up as thoughts but they're very important

Kids don't have needs.

Edit: Any reason for why half your visitors turn violent when another visitor attacks your fort to steal an artifact?

This guy was more well behaved than all the various militia dwarves that were visiting, be like this guy.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 6, 2023

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Any reason for why half your visitors turn violent when another visitor attacks your fort to steal an artifact?

I haven't experienced this myself but everyone has different loyalties, so it's possible there were people loyal to the artifact-stealer who joined in on the fight. (I think it might also have to do with planned coups, although once again I've never seen that happen in fortress mode so I don't know whether that's something that actually happens or is mostly fluff.)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Just make dwarven rum and cook it instead of making syrup.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Clocks posted:

I haven't experienced this myself but everyone has different loyalties, so it's possible there were people loyal to the artifact-stealer who joined in on the fight. (I think it might also have to do with planned coups, although once again I've never seen that happen in fortress mode so I don't know whether that's something that actually happens or is mostly fluff.)

He was definitely here for the artifact, got the message and everything. Feels a bit weird though, not like I could do much else than beat him down when he stormed in.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Check his memories? Dwarves sometimes get angsty because they dwell on that time they got rained on last year.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

my dad posted:

Just make dwarven rum and cook it instead of making syrup.

My dwarves love making syrup roasts, which i sell to the humans to make them into sugar addicts

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Check his memories? Dwarves sometimes get angsty because they dwell on that time they got rained on last year.

Shouldn't matter anyway though, because in my experience, memories are just stuff that can show up over and over in recent thoughts.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The outpost liaison wandered off a cliff and died. Is this going to cause problems with my relationship with my home civ or will they just appoint a new dude next year? We already got the diplomacy for this year out of the way.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I had my baron and liason die and nothing happened except they don't send me nobles anymore. My fortress still kept getting elevated; I forgot to check, but maybe my civ had a low population or something.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
We probably do need a new OP. If nobody wants to volunteer I can see about getting it done over the weekend but I know very little compared with some of our lovely posters here.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Turpitude posted:

My dwarves love making syrup roasts, which i sell to the humans to make them into sugar addicts

Conquering neighbors by giving them diabetes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Just turned on my squad with armor set to replace clothing and one of my dwarves suited up. He then proceeded to drop around 20 rings all at once like I just smacked Sonic.