Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Apparently, I can't redo them DURING the dive currently. I have to leave and then come back, yeah?

I didn't get one of the relics on level 7, and I'm trying to grind out 3 relics (x2) to get Deneb done/recruited.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Apparently, I can't redo them DURING the dive currently. I have to leave and then come back, yeah?

I didn't get one of the relics on level 7, and I'm trying to grind out 3 relics (x2) to get Deneb done/recruited.

As far as the floors you've already beaten, no, you can not go back to a battle you've already completed unless you leave the palace entirely, but you'll start from floor one.

You need to chariot and kill the unit carrying a relic until it drops and then retreat from the battle to do it again until you have the amount of relics you want.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Don't be a dummy like me and do POTD for the first time on CODA. I got to level 100 and thought I just had bad RNG not getting the Nybeth fight lol. That was a few hours of my life I'd like back.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

PaybackJack posted:

Don't be a dummy like me and do POTD for the first time on CODA. I got to level 100 and thought I just had bad RNG not getting the Nybeth fight lol. That was a few hours of my life I'd like back.

Hugs goon or goonette.

Many of us have done this.

Or even worse played fast and loose with anchor points only to find out that we messed up the POTD clear flag and have to do it all over again.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

tbh the palace of the dead could be condensed to 50 battles and nothing about it would change

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Is there any reason for me not to complete each of the three routes before doing any of the end game stuff? And if I don't really care what my People/World log says, do I need to worry about what I do on those subsequent playthroughs?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mike_V posted:

Is there any reason for me not to complete each of the three routes before doing any of the end game stuff?

None. Go ahead and run the other routes.

Mike_V posted:

And if I don't really care what my People/World log says, do I need to worry about what I do on those subsequent playthroughs?

If you just want to experience the story, then go ahead.
If you want to recruit everyone, then you should probably look at a guide.

And for coda 2 I think you are fine as long as the required characters are recruited in your army, even if they are dead in the Warren Report. Maybe someone could confirm/deny this because I forgot.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

TurnipFritter posted:

tbh the palace of the dead could be condensed to 50 battles and nothing about it would change
They should've made it a rogue-like mode like what Front Mission 5 did with the simulator.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Alright so, for Deneb, since I'm coming up on this being relevant now: What exactly do I need to do to get Wicce? Upgrade a relic three times it says, but how many relics is that exactly? Would four Sparkguard rings be enough, fuse the duplicates into one or...?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Alright so, for Deneb, since I'm coming up on this being relevant now: What exactly do I need to do to get Wicce? Upgrade a relic three times it says, but how many relics is that exactly? Would four Sparkguard rings be enough, fuse the duplicates into one or...?

Yes, that will work.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2JoaSUYHc

This video has some weird findings about elemental resistance on armor and I'm wondering if it's actually true or if he's misunderstanding some other factor. Basically it looks like the element you see in an armor's stats isn't an element it resists, but an elemental property it has. So an armor with 10 Water on it isn't granting water resistance--it's water-elemental armor, so it resists fire.

I don't have nearly enough gear on my save file to test this in-depth myself but I'm curious if it's actually true.

(He also claims that character element doesn't boost finisher damage when the elements match which is wrong, so it's very possible he's wrong about armor too.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, that's one of the easiest things to test so i'm not feeling too hopeful about any of their other findings. like, how do you even gently caress up testing elemental finishers?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

This video has some weird findings about elemental resistance on armor and I'm wondering if it's actually true or if he's misunderstanding some other factor. Basically it looks like the element you see in an armor's stats isn't an element it resists, but an elemental property it has. So an armor with 10 Water on it isn't granting water resistance--it's water-elemental armor, so it resists fire.

This is what the in game tool tips say (which, yes, feels really dumb and unintuitive). It's something like "Strength in (Element) provides resistance to (Other Element)"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, that's one of the easiest things to test so i'm not feeling too hopeful about any of their other findings. like, how do you even gently caress up testing elemental finishers?

For someone that has played the TO games for probably thousands of hours, Coffee Potato is kinda dumb.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

According to https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2902182654 the elemental properties on armor don't work. For gameplay details that guide is the best source I've seen so far. The amount of bugs reminds me of earlier Final Fantasy games, but it hasn't really changed my enjoyment of the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Harrow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2JoaSUYHc

I don't have nearly enough gear on my save file to test this in-depth myself but I'm curious if it's actually true.

(He also claims that character element doesn't boost finisher damage when the elements match which is wrong, so it's very possible he's wrong about armor too.)
He's saying a finisher in a favored matchup will still do a lot of extra damage even if the attacker's element isn't the same as the finisher.

His way of explaining things is really roundabout and meandering, but his take away of spreading out your type coverage on finishers seems sound to me. Hitting the weakness is much more important than aligning your own element.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you have a choice of multiple enemies to hit with a finisher then sure, going for the weakness is the most important aspect. but there's not always going to be an enemy with the right element available. unless you are planning for a specific boss, it's not really something you'd base your entire build around.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
So I already finished all of CODA(the last fight against all the Dark Knights was easy, but I love a good victory lap ending) and I'm not doing another run right away, but this is a good time to ask how you all built your Shamans/Casters.

I was going with everyone pretty much on element Sherri using Earth spells, Olyvia using Ice, Warren(Starseer) using Fire, Catuia(Princess) using Light and Deneb(Wicce) using Dark. Everyone that could use Draconic also had a copy of Starfall for extra undead purging. Iuria was along for the ride for MP regeneration and being able to grant Spellstrike to everyone.
Who could I have used on the front line to break magic defense(and what is that status condition called)?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

So I already finished all of CODA(the last fight against all the Dark Knights was easy, but I love a good victory lap ending) and I'm not doing another run right away, but this is a good time to ask how you all built your Shamans/Casters.

I was going with everyone pretty much on element Sherri using Earth spells, Olyvia using Ice, Warren(Starseer) using Fire, Catuia(Princess) using Light and Deneb(Wicce) using Dark. Everyone that could use Draconic also had a copy of Starfall for extra undead purging. Iuria was along for the ride for MP regeneration and being able to grant Spellstrike to everyone.
Who could I have used on the front line to break magic defense(and what is that status condition called)?

I basically ran my casters the same way you did. The only difference is that my Warren never left the bench because Starseer is pretty mediocre. Deneb only made the roster on 12 person maps and even then it was mostly just to spam paradigm shift on other people.
On maps with powerful enemy casters, I would bring a lich or two to blanket everyone with reflection.

Enfeeble. You can apply it with dark dragons and their corpse breath. Make sure to run the Dragon's Eye passive to give it a 100% chance to debuff the enemy. There's a shop consumable can also be used or have someone with lobber chuck it at an enemy. Another source is the cudgel finisher Pressure Whirl, but I never use that due to low range and proc rate.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if you have a choice of multiple enemies to hit with a finisher then sure, going for the weakness is the most important aspect. but there's not always going to be an enemy with the right element available. unless you are planning for a specific boss, it's not really something you'd base your entire build around.

I was looking at some guide that for each level suggested that “most” of the enemies were a certain element so you should bring people that could exploit that element. Like, oh, great, do you want me to make six different teams?

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I really think it's funny how LUCT could be broken by archers being murder machines while Reborn is busted by Shamans and their summons.

Summon spells in LUCT certainly were spicy but not like they are in Reborn.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rascyc posted:

He's saying a finisher in a favored matchup will still do a lot of extra damage even if the attacker's element isn't the same as the finisher.

His way of explaining things is really roundabout and meandering, but his take away of spreading out your type coverage on finishers seems sound to me. Hitting the weakness is much more important than aligning your own element.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. His wording in the video implied that he thought matching character element to finisher element did nothing, but if he's arguing that that's less important than just hitting an enemy's weakness (however you can do it) then yeah, that tracks.

What I'm seeing in the comments and the Reddit thread about this video seems to corroborate his thing about elemental resistances, too, which is interesting. The effect isn't dramatic but it does seem like resistances on armor are working, just not the way people seemed to assume they would. It seems like they're most effective at covering a unit's weakness (for example, equipping ice-elemental Ozma with water-elemental armor to cover her fire weakness) if you equip enough resistance.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So I've heard some conflicting things and I'm trying to figure it out.

When in the storyline should I start diving potd? I tried a bit at union level 32 but it was both a pain and I heard the shop doesn't even open then?

Does it open up at level 36 or should I wait until later?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

So I've heard some conflicting things and I'm trying to figure it out.

When in the storyline should I start diving potd? I tried a bit at union level 32 but it was both a pain and I heard the shop doesn't even open then?

Does it open up at level 36 or should I wait until later?

Do it when your Union level is 40. The shop is open before then but doesn’t sell the good stuff until Union level 40.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

If you want to get Deneb with her Wicce class as soon as she's available, you pretty much have to do PotD more -or-less when it opens. Otherwise, I'd suggest waiting until after the event battle at Heim to do anything there, since that's when the shop upgrades.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Doing PotD up to floor 24 for the shop isn't useful until you plan to do the Shaman quest. The main rewards are defeat-and-retreat farmable Winged Rings (useful for PotD itself, the Shaman quest, and San Bronsa) and level 1 Summon magic (only available to Lord, Princess, Shaman, a few other special classes, and Spellblade/Valkyrie). Plus Wicce Deneb, as Zurai pointed out, provided you also do the dragon recruiting and selling needed for her. Summons are definitely nice for whichever of Princess or Lord you pick at the Barnicia branch, but if you're planning to World around to pick up characters first or if you don't want to get Shamans at all, then going to the first shop doesn't have too much in the way of returns.

That said, summons and Shamans are a pretty big boost of power, and doing the first PotD run and the six temples required for the Shaman quest is a good test of whether you're willing to do the sort of long dungeon running that makes up the TO post-game. Just know why you're doing it first so you don't leave without what you need.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

PaybackJack posted:

Dark dragons. 2 of them running around bullying everyone with corpse breath will cause a decent amount of enfeeblement. It can also be placed on groups with a cudgel finisher.

Edit: beaten.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mea Tulpa posted:

According to https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2902182654 the elemental properties on armor don't work. For gameplay details that guide is the best source I've seen so far. The amount of bugs reminds me of earlier Final Fantasy games, but it hasn't really changed my enjoyment of the game.

I am curious, since I haven't played in a bit but want to get back in, but posts like this make me wonder: Is the game really busted/bugged? Or merely not moreso than usual? Not that I am looking to take advantage. I am just wondering if it may impact my enjoyment.

Then again, I do tend to ruminate on dumb crap than I need to.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Unlucky7 posted:

I am curious, since I haven't played in a bit but want to get back in, but posts like this make me wonder: Is the game really busted/bugged? Or merely not moreso than usual? Not that I am looking to take advantage. I am just wondering if it may impact my enjoyment.

Then again, I do tend to ruminate on dumb crap than I need to.
The two bullets about 1h'ers and 2h'ers on mages are the only bugs that might ding you at times and honestly are the only things that feel like bugs. There are some other bugs (slashing resistance) or design decisions (elemental) in there but it's mostly in systems nobody gives a poo poo about - like resistances.

The most annoying thing is that some tooltips, especially in the post game gear are wrong. I think that list points that out somewhere.

Really though this is the third time the game has come out. It's about as stable and fun as it's going to get outside of the insistence on RNG drops in late game side content.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

I didn't dig into the mechanics until clearing the main game, and nothing felt obviously wrong to me. There are some things that don't work as intended, but I think you have to search it out. The way the late game favors magic damage while ranged physicals like archers fall off may be a consequence of some of this. For all I know it might have been deliberate.

I haven't played earlier versions of the game, but I've read the PSP version had its share of issues too. It would be nice if all of the features did what they're supposed to, but I still had a blast playing TO. As much as I really anticipated Xenoblade 3 last year, I may have enjoyed this one more. As for the comparison to FF games, Square made a lot of buggy games up through the mid 90s but many of them were still a blast to play.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Einander posted:

Doing PotD up to floor 24 for the shop isn't useful until you plan to do the Shaman quest. The main rewards are defeat-and-retreat farmable Winged Rings (useful for PotD itself, the Shaman quest, and San Bronsa) and level 1 Summon magic (only available to Lord, Princess, Shaman, a few other special classes, and Spellblade/Valkyrie). Plus Wicce Deneb, as Zurai pointed out, provided you also do the dragon recruiting and selling needed for her. Summons are definitely nice for whichever of Princess or Lord you pick at the Barnicia branch, but if you're planning to World around to pick up characters first or if you don't want to get Shamans at all, then going to the first shop doesn't have too much in the way of returns.

That said, summons and Shamans are a pretty big boost of power, and doing the first PotD run and the six temples required for the Shaman quest is a good test of whether you're willing to do the sort of long dungeon running that makes up the TO post-game. Just know why you're doing it first so you don't leave without what you need.

Cool thanks, it is nice playing on PC with cheat engine for the 2x speed, otherwise the combat feels positively glacial. Doing the Pirate's Graveyard for more buccaneer marks is already pretty painful so I'm not sure if I can handle multiple PotD runs for gear.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
PotD is also a source of stat charms once you get into the double digit floors. I haven't been dorking around much in there (56 is my deepest so far of several forays) but my Denam is terrifying from eating all the charms so far and he barely notices physical damage.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I decided to wait until after the elemental temples and level 40 for PotD and haven't regretted it, since my guys are able to clear smoothly on auto up through floor 49 so far. It's pretty easy to let them kill 80+% of enemies on a map while I'm doing something else and then just retreat over and over to farm items if I don't want to go manual and Chariot-scum it. Having either Winged Rings/Boots or Steadfast on everyone makes pits a nonissue.

I figured I'd at least get Cressida (and maybe Denam) turned into a Lich, and then depending on how much harder it gets past floor 50 I might finish Chapter 4 and recruit all of the named characters before coming back. I'm pretty sure I could clear it on the first visit, but it might get a bit monotonous and would go faster with a full set of Enchiridion gear.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 7, 2023

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Anybody got a good Lord build suggestion (including a weapon)? I finished Barnicia last night but haven't had the brainpower to set up Denam yet.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
A 2 handed hammer with an Instill of your choice, Double Strike, and meditate can put out some hefty damage to single targets and still has an AoE option.

Edit: worth mentioning, this build is best for manual control, the AI does not know how to use Double Strike (or is it Impact?). For auto battling I'd swap that skill out for an auto-skill or passive of your choice. For the rest of the magic slots I'd use the relevant summon and something to clear undead.

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 7, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've fallen in love with spears so my Denam's skill setup is Spears, Phalanx IV, Meditate IV, and Lament of the Dead. He's lightning element. Just heads into the fray, pokes at things from various angles or from behind front lines, applies fear, and is near-invulnerable if I've picked up at least one skill card because he procs Phalanx so much. The last spear finisher, Spiral Scourge, is basically a delete button for most enemies.

This would probably work even better with hammers so he'd get even closer to enemies and Lament them more reliably, but I just love spears too much (and I'd miss Spiral Scourge).

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Are the later hammers that good or is it all about the finishers?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
by the time weapons distinguish themselves, it is mostly about the finishers - but hammers do crushing damage and a ton of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hammers are great for the whole game. They do the most useful kind of melee damage (crushing) and have a fantastic set of finishers. Spears are amazing for a lot of the same reasons--while they don't do crushing damage with normal attacks, their finishers can, and their finishers are overall awesome too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it worth it to make a Beast Tamer or two so I could recruit some beast units?