Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gyges posted:

So, if we have a Speaker but no rules, do we at least have a House of Representatives playing Calvinball?

Not yet, people need to be sworn in at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

If there are no rules, there is a Speaker in name only and nothing can be done.

So McCarthy gets exactly what he wanted.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Meatball posted:

I always thought 24 years for both was a nice fit. Four senate terms, twelve congressional terms.

Make that the case for Supreme Court justices as well

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Farchanter posted:

So McCarthy gets exactly what he wanted.

Eh, I don't think he actually wants to risk a default. Just threaten it. The HFC are definitely willing to let us default.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://twitter.com/TonyGonzales4TX/status/1611524269602918400?t=guojAOdW9M_ssT5I0VDLzg&s=19

McCarthy loyalists don't want to reward the crazies. He might get 218 votes for speaker, but he's not going to be able to pass a rules package and without that there is no majority

This is absolutely hilarious. This member voted 12 times in a row for McCarthy: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/interactive/2023/vote-results-house-speaker/?itid=hp-top-table-main_p001_f001

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The people ultimately have the right to elect a nonagenarian vegetable.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

illcendiary posted:

What’s the conservative argument for term limits? Is it meant to defang effective Democrat politicians and put seats in play more frequently?

Term limits are fairly common in populist movements of any kind. The idea is to oust the longtime career politicians and ensure frequent turnover in seats and in leadership, reducing how much power and influence is able to concentrate in the hands of any individual party leader.

For a relatively new upstart faction that mostly came about by ousting incumbents and frequently clashes with the longtime established politicians running things in the House and Senate, the short-term political advantages are fairly obvious.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The people ultimately have the right to elect a nonagenarian vegetable.

The people ultimately also have a right to elect a 34 year old that immigrated to the US as a one week old baby to the office of the President, too, but the Constitution disagrees; amending it to exclude nonagenarian vegetables would not be that far out the field.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

If Crane and Rosendale don't fold the whole deal falls apart I think.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1611497587781107714
Sheesh

Assuming that this rule package happened, every single Democrat should be constantly motioning to remove Kevin.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Agents are GO! posted:

Assuming that this rule package happened, every single Democrat should be constantly motioning to remove Kevin.

I assume "any" has a silent "member of my party" after it.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'd want the House terms lengthened to 4 years, split them into to two cohorts. Half elected in the presidential year, half during the midterms.

As a non-American, two year terms for the House always seemed completely nuts. It seems like House Reps spend half their time campaigning for re-election.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

As a non-American, two year terms for the House always seemed completely nuts. It seems like House Reps spend half their time campaigning for re-election.

only half? lol

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://twitter.com/TonyGonzales4TX/status/1611524269602918400?t=guojAOdW9M_ssT5I0VDLzg&s=19

McCarthy loyalists don't want to reward the crazies. He might get 218 votes for speaker, but he's not going to be able to pass a rules package and without that there is no majority

McCarthy's shown loud and clear that in his congress being a team player is for suckers, and being an Obstructionist jackass who gums everything up means you get catered to. Why would you not obstruct? Even if you're okay with it he'll two-face himself into giving you a better one.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

tanglewood1420 posted:

One of the first messages you usually get from your elected representative is an invitation for a fundraiser for their next election.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

OddObserver posted:

The people ultimately also have a right to elect a 34 year old that immigrated to the US as a one week old baby to the office of the President, too, but the Constitution disagrees; amending it to exclude nonagenarian vegetables would not be that far out the field.

Seems like more of a reason to remove the natural born citizen clause, especially since we’re not so worried about The King sneaking his Royal Blood into the office anymore.

Also my preferred interpretation of this clause is that anyone born via c section is not eligible to be president.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

tanglewood1420 posted:

It's the only way to hold them to account. Of course the House should also have more than a thousand members so that's most of the problem right there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also my preferred interpretation of this clause is that anyone born via c section is not eligible to be president.

:mad:

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

coelomate posted:

I assume "any" has a silent "member of my party" after it.

It's not even silent. It's explicitly in the rules that it has to be a majority party person. It's just being reported badly.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Seems like more of a reason to remove the natural born citizen clause, especially since we’re not so worried about The King sneaking his Royal Blood into the office anymore.

Ah, the MacDuff clause? Wonder if Madison got a warning from some Witches.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Artonos posted:

It's not even silent. It's explicitly in the rules that it has to be a majority party person. It's just being reported badly.

It's not unless they changed it. It says Democrat or Republican which is obviously dumb as hell but then again so is everything else.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

tanglewood1420 posted:

the theory behind its pretty simple:
the house is supposed to reflect the popular will of the people as quickly as possible because the elites will try to prevent changes for as long as possible because they benefit from the current system and there needs to be someone agitating for what the people care about.
the senate is supposed to reflect the long-term will of the establishment and institutions because the people are all a bunch of easily-distracted idiots and what the people care about is probably some frivolous nonsense they didn't think through and someone needs to keep the rabble in check.

the american system is based fundamentally around the idea that everyone is incompetent and corrupt and nobody can be trusted. Its failing now because it was too optimistic.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You get what you structure for.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yeah but there’s no possibility of a snap election so it kinda balances out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Yeah but there’s no possibility of a snap election so it kinda balances out.

A snap election is better in my opinion, it forces a rethink when things aren't working anymore instead of just flushing the toilet every two years hoping that this time will be better.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gyges posted:

So, if we have a Speaker but no rules, do we at least have a House of Representatives playing Calvinball?

Basically it goes like this:
There is no house without a Speaker because everyone has to be sworn in by the speaker according to the constitution.

So usually the first order of business of the elected speaker is to choose a clerk, who has to record the votes taken, who was sworn in etc.

after that he swears in all Congresspeople-elect so they’re official

then the House members vote on the rules

and then poo poo can get started.

No business can be brought before the House until rules are set (or the majority votes to not have rules, which lol. They can also just agree to keep the rules of the previous House, which in this case they won’t do because they were much too fair).

So yes you’ll officially have a House since they’re all sworn in but you’re still not going to get much done.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Oracle posted:

Basically it goes like this:
There is no house without a Speaker because everyone has to be sworn in by the speaker according to the constitution.

Please, oh please, let McCarthy pull some 1800s-level poo poo and when Gaetz walks up to be sworn in, McCarthy just jerks his thumb and sneers, "Take a hike" and calls the next Congressperson-elect in line. I've lived a half-decent life. I just want to see that much.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

delfin posted:

Please, oh please, let McCarthy pull some 1800s-level poo poo and when Gaetz walks up to be sworn in, McCarthy just jerks his thumb and sneers, "Take a hike" and calls the next Congressperson-elect in line. I've lived a half-decent life. I just want to see that much.

The constitutional crisis this sets off would be fun to watch.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

sweet geek swag posted:

After the past few years I don't really have the stomach for a constitutional crisis, tysm

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Via NYT just now

quote:

Chip Roy, a key negotiator of the deal between the defectors and McCarthy, says right-wing lawmakers extracted a promise from McCarthy to launch a “Church-style” select panel to investigate how the Biden administration has “weaponized” the federal government that receives “the kind of budget and the kind of staffing” that the select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol received.

Matt Gaetz of Florida, seen as one of McCarthy’s chief antagonists who delivered a blistering and personal diatribe against the Republican leader on the House floor this morning, just sounded a very different tone on Sean Hannity's Fox News program, calling McCarthy the “speaker-designate.” “We may be able to get this resolved tonight,” Gaetz said.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

Yeah well Gaetz betrayed his oath of office so gently caress him.

Seriously though McCarthy didn't have the spine to expel the HFC when he could and he's certainly not going to try to rules-lawyer a way to keep Gaetz from being sworn in.

Djarum posted:

Via NYT just now

To me this just reads as Republicans not understanding how budgets work. Also a really stupid thing to say when you are planning to "weaponize the federal government" to investigate Hunter Biden's dick.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 7, 2023

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The poo poo's coming out the other end now

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1611552098474426368

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

sweet geek swag posted:

The Radical republicans did this to newly elected congressmen from the former Confederate states. Just straight up refused to seat them.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

This was literally done in the 1850s-1860s and not pushed against so Thomas would declare it constitutional and backed by precedent.

Realistically the Court is loath to interfere in the workings of the other branches so would likely decline to intervene.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1611554149610438656

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Neither of them have likely worked a weekend in their lives and they’re not about to start now.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Are they going to try to pass the rules package tonight or is that drama being saved for next week?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Youth Decay posted:

Are they going to try to pass the rules package tonight or is that drama being saved for next week?

Speaker -> Swear -> Rules in one sitting is the only thing that makes sense.

But nothing this week has made much sense?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

I hate to sympathize with GOP congresspeople but "midnightish on Friday" really isn't a good time to be going through important and technical legal stuff. Probably way later than that considering they also have to swear people in.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

As far as the math goes, if 3 Republicans vote present (1 dem seat is vacant, so it would be 431 voting), that would lower the threshold to 216.

It does have to be 3 though, just 2 voting present isn't good enough. If there are 6 holdouts and they get 3 of them to vote present, that would just barely be good enough, a majority by just 1 vote.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Oracle posted:

This was literally done in the 1850s-1860s and not pushed against so Thomas would declare it constitutional and backed by precedent.

Realistically the Court is loath to interfere in the workings of the other branches so would likely decline to intervene.

Oh yeah, I am aware of the precedent. But I think that precedent has been superseded by the insurrection clause of the 14th amendment. Chances are he'd totally get away with it, at least in the short term. Long term McCarthy would probably only be able to make it stick by invoking Jan 6th, which he absolutely wouldn't do.