Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Rigel posted:

As far as the math goes, if 3 Republicans vote present (1 dem seat is vacant, so it would be 431 voting), that would lower the threshold to 216.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1611557008301334529

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the american system is based fundamentally around the idea that everyone is incompetent and corrupt and nobody can be trusted. Its failing now because it was too optimistic.

The key failing is that the fundamental assumption is everyone is an incompetent and corrupt gentleman. Kind of surprising it's taken this long for the rug to get pulled on that last part. Maybe political dueling was the answer.

Oh please let McCarthy pull all 20 nutters and then lose 20 assholes who have only now realized it pays to take hostages.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The house mace has been put into its place by the sergeant

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
McCarthy will slither in at last, the revised Rules package will be put up for a vote, a point of order of "wasn't the whole point of this that we'd get 72 hours to read what we're voting on and not be told 'just shut up and vote for it'" will be ignored because that's part of what's being voted on, the Rules package will fail, Gaetz will stand up and say "I move to vacate the Chair--" and everyone else in the room will just start hucking staplers and briefcases and things that hurt at him.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

"I'm not done yet" my favorite line in any prayer

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m with that lady rolling her eyes at the camera during the prayer.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

coelomate posted:

Speaker -> Swear -> Rules in one sitting is the only thing that makes sense.

But nothing this week has made much sense?

Was reading JQA's diary entries about the 1839 speaker shenanigans and he wrote that after they finally elected speaker they went home and swore in the next day. Though that was more because the speaker shenanigans came as a result of the seating of the NJ delegation being contested.

quote:

16. IV:30. Monday

When I went to the House this morning, it was with a firm conviction that Dixon H. Lewis, the Silenus of the House, a Falstaff without his wit or good humour, would be chosen Speaker—probably at the first trial— At the 6th. trial on Saturday Night, Dixon H. Lewis had 79 votes, and John W. Jones 39. These were the two divisions of the administration party—united they made 118 votes, the precise number required for the choice of the Speaker.— The opposition had rallied only 63 upon Hunter and 43 scattered all over the house.— But the division in the administration ranks was deeper than I had expected— Jones was the man of the Benton faction, and Dixon H. Lewis of the Calhounites, much to the discontent of Pickens, the mouth piece of Calhoun in the house— At the 7th. trial this morning of 229 votes Lewis received 110. wanting only 5 to be chosen— The whigs had agreed to run Bell again and he had 44 votes— Hunter’s number having fallen to 22. At the 8th. trial, the whole number had increased to 232— Lewis’s to 113—lacking only 4 to be chosen. Bell had 80. and Hunter only 16.— At the 9th. Lewis being in his seat, did not answer when his name was called— He did not want his own vote to tell against himself.— Waddy Thompson buckled him down to it; by enquiring of the Chair if there was not a rule that every member of the House present should vote on every question— I said there were three rules respecting the right and obligation of members to vote. First that every member in the House shall vote on every question, unless excused for reasons specially assigned. Secondly that no member without the bar at the call of his name shall be allowed to vote—and I said that to reconcile these two rides together it followed that it was the duty of every member in the House to be within the bar at the call of his name— Thirdly that no member shall vote upon any question in the event of which he is immediately and particularly interested— On the reading of this rule there was a general titter through the house— Lott Warren a member from Georgia started forward and voted forI said I had read the written rules of the House, but the practice of the House was not always the same as the written rules— The practice of the House was rigidly to exclude the vote of every member not within the bar at the call of his name, while the rule requiring every member in the house to vote was seldom or never enforced.— Thompson said that he had not known that the member from Georgia, had not voted; and that he was not the person to whom his enquiry had referred— Lewis said he had no objection to voting, and voted for Pickens— But at this trial he had only 110 votes, the desertion of him having already begun— Bell’s vote too was reduced to 33 and Hunter’s increased to 59. At the tenth trial Lewis left his seat, went outside of the bar, and did not vote— But the administration phalanx was broken— He received only 73 votes, and the rest were scattered— Hunter had 85.— Lewis then requested that his name might be considered as withdrawn from the canvass; but the Administration forces could not be rallied, and at the 11th trial of 232 votes, Robert M. T. Hunter of Virginia had 119. and was chosen— He finally united all the whig votes, and all the malcontents of the Administration— I then upon receiving the report of the Tellers read it and announced that Robert M. T. Hunter having received a majority of all the votes given was elected Speaker of the House— I requested Mr Banks and Mr Lawrence to conduct the Speaker to the Chair, and Lewis Williams the oldest member of the House to administer to him the Oath— My functions were at an end— I resigned to him the Speaker’s chair, and retired to my Seat, with an ejaculation of Gratitude to God for my deliverance— At the motion of Wise the house immediately adjourned and I walked home with a lightened heart.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 7, 2023

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

delfin posted:

McCarthy will slither in at last, the revised Rules package will be put up for a vote, a point of order of "wasn't the whole point of this that we'd get 72 hours to read what we're voting on and not be told 'just shut up and vote for it'" will be ignored because that's part of what's being voted on, the Rules package will fail, Gaetz will stand up and say "I move to vacate the Chair--" and everyone else in the room will just start hucking staplers and briefcases and things that hurt at him.

10 Republicans get arrested for assault and suddenly the math swings back to Jeffries.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

reframing "we can't agree" into "greater discussion and collaboration" is a hot take

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

I'm going to laugh my rear end off if they still can't elect McCarthy after all of this bloviating

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Buff Hardback posted:

reframing "we can't agree" into "greater discussion and collaboration" is a hot take

it's a good speech as long as you don't think too hard about it!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All these freaks love talking about fent.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I AM GRANDO posted:

All these freaks love talking about fent.

fent got 2 votes in one of the earlier speaker votes

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Conservatives are getting better at comedy and it's making the left nervous

nerox
May 20, 2001
“Open and public debate” also doing a lot of work in this speech.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

"the man does not quit"

clearly otherwise we'd have a speaker by now

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Discount Dana Carvey needs to sit down

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I'm going to laugh my rear end off if they still can't elect McCarthy after all of this bloviating

:pray:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1611560705445986304

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nah, it's much funnier if he finally gets elected and then the rules vote fails.

If the rules don't pass there is no majority. If another set of rules passes other than the ones the Speaker proposes there is no majority. In either of those circumstances, a motion to vacate the chair would be completely justified.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

This made me open the stream and I cackled as soon as I heard his voice, absolutely spot on

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Friend posted:

This made me open the stream and I cackled as soon as I heard his voice, absolutely spot on

it's the glasses for me

and the "jokes"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

the latest goss
https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1611561825627250694
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1611562926707466241

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Sounds like we're rollcall voting without a 3rd nomination

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
This poor clerk must want to kill herself by this point

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Charlz Guybon posted:

Nah, it's much funnier if he finally gets elected and then the rules vote fails.

If the rules don't pass there is no majority. If another set of rules passes other than the ones the Speaker proposes there is no majority. In either of those circumstances, a motion to vacate the chair would be completely justified.

Does a motion to vacate the chair require a majority

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Youth Decay posted:

Thank god I'm not alone, I saw it too

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Biggs: Jordan (committed to chaos)

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Boebert: present (!)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is one of these guys yelling “Joe McCarthy”? I swear he did it this afternoon, too.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

coelomate posted:

need one or two flips now?

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

assuming freedom caucus goes present all the way through, do we see jeffries or mccarthy?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

McCarthy either needs two more rebels to vote present, or one more rebel to flip to him.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

coelomate posted:

She looked pissed, and started to shake her head no at the applause. Interesting.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Iamgoofball posted:

assuming freedom caucus goes present all the way through, do we see jeffries or mccarthy?

Kevin I think. He got the plurality, finally. So no comedy chaos.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

McCarthy might have lost one from Buck not being there, so chaos option is still on the table

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Crane: committed to chaos still (Biggs)

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Voting for Chaos. I support it.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

3 more votes McCarthy needs good news from (2 presents would do it, assuming everything else lines up):

Gaetz
Good
Rosendale

Update on Buck, who is an absent McCarthy supporter: he's on the way back: reporting he is not yet in the building. He can vote at the end if he gets there... soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Biggs voted for Jordan. Crane voted for Biggs.

(Fixed.)