Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Has anyone done the math on what's better: buying pool 3 cards with tokens, or saving them for 4 and 5?

Since tokens are so rare, it seems a waste to buy pool 3 cards because you get those anyway on the collection track.

On the other hand, if you use tokens to get through pool 3 faster, you can start collecting the reserves with 400 tokens more quickly.

So, for example, let's say you have about 20 cards in pool 3 left, and 5000 tokens.

Starting now, would you then have more pool 4/5 cards after, say, 3 months, if you would buy pool 3 cards with tokens, or if you didn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You gain tokens much faster after finishing 3, enough for a p5 card a month or 2 4s. I would prioritize finishing 3, not only for progression but because that will enable more deckbuilding than chasing a few 5s.

someone on reddit broke it down in cash value:

quote:

TLDR

While it can vary slightly depending on how you calculate:

A pool 3 card costs $21.08 (Max 20.4 38.9 cards per month)

A pool 4 card costs $82.82 (Max 5.19 9.9 cards per month)

A pool 5 card costs $225.21 (Max 1.91 3.64 cards per month)

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 7, 2023

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That said, I don’t regret buying she hulk with tokens.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man just a horrible run of matches losing by a couple points in a location, brutal. Sometimes it is best to just put it down for a bit to stop the slide!

Need a good deck to use zabu in, been doing a moon girl/dd/arnim zola with wong and a few card pullers.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
Had a stretch today where I got zabu'd on 3 in 6 straight games. Not the most fun experience, gotta be honest. This is the first card to really cause any level of tilt for me in this game (Other than Hela, when she's in my deck) and it's really aggravating me how crazy powerful his effect is when it gets reliably slammed against me every drat game.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

buffalo all day posted:

I pulled off the dream. T2 psylocke, T3 mr negative, t4 zabu, t5 negative bishop and iron heart, t6 wong->negative mystique->negative surfer->absorbing man. I need a smoke.

Lucky. I got blueballed earlier.
Location 1: Ongoing Effects are Doubled here.

Had Wong, Black Panther and Arnim Zola in hand.

Opponent drops Armor on the space.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Bottom Liner posted:

You gain tokens much faster after finishing 3, enough for a p5 card a month or 2 4s. I would prioritize finishing 3, not only for progression but because that will enable more deckbuilding than chasing a few 5s.

someone on reddit broke it down in cash value:

Yeah, I have to disagree here. I tried calculating it out, and came to the conclusion that spending tokens on pool 3 cards is a huge waste.

(Well, UNLESS you really value finishing pool 3 earlier for some reason, or if you value getting specific pool 3 cards RIGHT NOW.)

See: https://marvelsnapzone.com/cache-drop-rates-and-contents/

In the Collector's Reserve section, you can see there's a 22.25% rate for series 3 cards. And below, you can read 'when all series 3 cards are collected, the 22.25% in the reserve is allotted to a new "400 tokens" reward'.

So let's say there's 2 players with 20 cards left on their pool 3 track, and both have 5000 tokens.

Player 1 spends all their tokens on pool 3 cards, player 2 doesn't.

Over the next few weeks (ignoring the non-card reserves):

* Player 1 opens 15 more boxes with cards, then 5 more containing 400 tokens each, for 2000 tokens
* Player 2 opens 20 more boxes with cards, but still has their original 5000 tokens

Player 1 ends up with 3000 less tokens than player 2.

And sure, player 1 does indeed gain tokens faster after pool 3, but at the cost of spending much more in the beginning. It's a straight up 600 token loss per pool 3 card, period.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Got my first collector's caches. First one was like 150 gold so alright. Second was Rescue. Third was Magik. Look it's impossible this doesn't continue for me.

Also,

Tekopo posted:

Saw Ego, snapped, my misty knight got placed on space throne, quicksilver in another lane for my opponent, second play would have been a surfer for me with no 3 on the board, so looks like I'm hosed.

Opponent retreats. I get two cubes and manage to complete the "win location with only 1 card" objective.

Thanks Ego!

If you see him and don't insta-snap, why are you even playing.

Push El Burrito posted:

Ego you piece of poo poo I snapped for you.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 7, 2023

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Goddamnit it's been a minute since I've been leadered so when it just happened it hit extra hard :mad:

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

uXs posted:

Yeah, I have to disagree here. I tried calculating it out, and came to the conclusion that spending tokens on pool 3 cards is a huge waste.

(Well, UNLESS you really value finishing pool 3 earlier for some reason, or if you value getting specific pool 3 cards RIGHT NOW.)

See: https://marvelsnapzone.com/cache-drop-rates-and-contents/

In the Collector's Reserve section, you can see there's a 22.25% rate for series 3 cards. And below, you can read 'when all series 3 cards are collected, the 22.25% in the reserve is allotted to a new "400 tokens" reward'.

So let's say there's 2 players with 20 cards left on their pool 3 track, and both have 5000 tokens.

Player 1 spends all their tokens on pool 3 cards, player 2 doesn't.

Over the next few weeks (ignoring the non-card reserves):

* Player 1 opens 15 more boxes with cards, then 5 more containing 400 tokens each, for 2000 tokens
* Player 2 opens 20 more boxes with cards, but still has their original 5000 tokens

Player 1 ends up with 3000 less tokens than player 2.

And sure, player 1 does indeed gain tokens faster after pool 3, but at the cost of spending much more in the beginning. It's a straight up 600 token loss per pool 3 card, period.

Yeah, the point of spending tokens is to have the specific cards you want. At the end of pool 3 the number of cards you have left to pull is shrinking and any specific card left you know you'll have pretty soon, you might as well wait and save tokens. At the beginning of pool 3 is when you want to spend tokens and get cards you're seeking rather than waiting an unknown length of time to get to play with them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tom Smykowski posted:

Goddamnit it's been a minute since I've been leadered so when it just happened it hit extra hard :mad:

I really need to learn that if I see a Turn 3 Wave, it's bait. They're ready to Leader my big cards.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Vanilla Bison posted:

Yeah, the point of spending tokens is to have the specific cards you want. At the end of pool 3 the number of cards you have left to pull is shrinking and any specific card left you know you'll have pretty soon, you might as well wait and save tokens. At the beginning of pool 3 is when you want to spend tokens and get cards you're seeking rather than waiting an unknown length of time to get to play with them.

True. If you really want a specific card, and it's worth the 600 tokens that costs you (1000 minus the 400 you will eventually get from the reserve that would've contained that card), by all means.

But I'm almost at the end and I was wondering if the "you'll finish pool 3 and start earning more tokens much more quickly!" argument made sense, and now I'm satisfied that, strictly from a cost in tokens perspective, it doesn't.

uXs fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 7, 2023

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

poe meater posted:

I consistently get emojis on my Psylocke variant. Only that one card!

Which one do you have? I get starry eyes on my straw hat Psylocke.

Also my Peach Momoko Knulled Spiderwoman is insanely gorgeous but I have no good deck to run her constantly in and it makes me sad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m around CL250 and playing dumb decks of stuff that seems reasonable together, but haven’t really been looking into the meta or net decks. I haven’t been playing much yet this season, but I did cash up for Zabu, only to realize that I don’t have very many 4-cost cards to use with him!

I think I’m still in Pool 1 since I don’t see many cards I haven’t seen before?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

the_steve posted:

I really need to learn that if I see a Turn 3 Wave, it's bait. They're ready to Leader my big cards.

Just play Leader right back :)

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

RevKrule posted:

Which one do you have? I get starry eyes on my straw hat Psylocke.

Also my Peach Momoko Knulled Spiderwoman is insanely gorgeous but I have no good deck to run her constantly in and it makes me sad.

Yep the hat one

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
A little known fact: if you both play Leader then they kiss

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Opened Venom and decided to dust off my destroy deck and take it for a spin. Encountered that thing where the matchmaking sets you up against similar archetypes when you swap to a new deck, except their destroy decks had Death in them. Took a glance in my shop like 15 minutes before rollover and wouldn't you know it?

I then proceeded to either not draw her or not be able to play her in all the games I played afterwards. :v:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Update: Still can't play the loving game. I really should have just started over but then my game account would be separate from my main Google account and it would have just been annoying.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Cattail Prophet posted:

Opened Venom and decided to dust off my destroy deck and take it for a spin. Encountered that thing where the matchmaking sets you up against similar archetypes when you swap to a new deck, except their destroy decks had Death in them. Took a glance in my shop like 15 minutes before rollover and wouldn't you know it?

I then proceeded to either not draw her or not be able to play her in all the games I played afterwards. :v:

I'm playing an All About Death Deck that's been super fun!

# (1) The Hood
# (1) Squirrel Girl
# (1) Yondu
# (2) Carnage
# (2) Mister Sinister
# (3) Debrii
# (3) Killmonger
# (3) Deathlok
# (4) Moon Girl
# (5) Taskmaster
# (6) Arnim Zola
# (9) Death
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRGVhdGgifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IktpbGxtb25nZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkRlYXRobG9rIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTcXVpcnJlbEdpcmwifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkRlYnJpaSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ2FybmFnZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiWW9uZHUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1vb25HaXJsIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJBcm5pbVpvbGEifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlRhc2ttYXN0ZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ikhvb2QifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1yU2luaXN0ZXIifV19
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

It's 100% designed to enable Death, so if I don't get Death, I withdraw. Hood is there to make 2 targets for Killmonger later on, Mister Sinister for Carnage/Deathlok.

Since I must draw Death to win, sometimes you have some real wild turn 3, 4, and 5. Like "Okay...I'll play a naked Carnage to make room in hand on 3. Turn 4 I'll Moon Girl, and turn 5 I'll play two Squirrel Girls and Killmonger, and hopefully I draw Death by 6 so I can Death/Zola or Death Taskmaster."

This deck is incredibly strong on Sinister London* btw. Two Yondus spawned. Six squirrels spawned. Four rocks spawned. And finally the the turn 6 Death Death Taskmaster 48 power jump. If I'm really lucky that happens on turn 5, and turn 6 allows for some Zolas too.

* If I got the name wrong, I'm thinking of the one that plays a second copy somewhere.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

poe meater posted:

Yep the hat one

It's such a good looking card. I can't wait to get some infinity splits on it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finally got enough tokens for Galactus :rms:

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Had a hilarious game where opponent got Mr. Negative down T1 thanks to Project Pegasus, then immediately got dunked into the trash by the game because the second location was District X. Kind of makes me wish there was a mutual draw button where no one loses cubes, because I felt so bad for that guy.

Re: Variants I think my two favorites that I have are Artgerm Aero and my Winter Devil Dino.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I’m around CL250 and playing dumb decks of stuff that seems reasonable together, but haven’t really been looking into the meta or net decks. I haven’t been playing much yet this season, but I did cash up for Zabu, only to realize that I don’t have very many 4-cost cards to use with him!

I think I’m still in Pool 1 since I don’t see many cards I haven’t seen before?

zabu + white queen + moon girl + thing should destroy pool 1. Enchantress and Namor are reasonable too.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The matchmaking algorithm is crooked. I was sick of seeing Zabu so I make three separate decks with Sandman/Electro+Viper. Not a Zabu deck in sight for any of them, and because Sandman is otherwise bad lots of losses. Switch back to a normal deck, Zabu every game. Ugh.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Maneck posted:

The matchmaking algorithm is crooked. I was sick of seeing Zabu so I make three separate decks with Sandman/Electro+Viper. Not a Zabu deck in sight for any of them, and because Sandman is otherwise bad lots of losses. Switch back to a normal deck, Zabu every game. Ugh.

Ehh its probably just sample size. I run into a ton of Zabu decks and I have been running sandman since Zabu's release.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Kooriken posted:

Had a hilarious game where opponent got Mr. Negative down T1 thanks to Project Pegasus, then immediately got dunked into the trash by the game because the second location was District X. Kind of makes me wish there was a mutual draw button where no one loses cubes, because I felt so bad for that guy.

Re: Variants I think my two favorites that I have are Artgerm Aero and my Winter Devil Dino.

Retreat later is mutual draw. If one of you hits the retreat later and the second person hits either retreat, neither loses cubes. If you hit retreat later and they hit end turn, you retreat and lose a cube. If you feel bad for someone and think they're gonna retreat, do the retreat later.

Also I really want winter Devil Dino :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

buffalo all day posted:

I pulled off the dream. T2 psylocke, T3 mr negative, t4 zabu, t5 negative bishop and iron heart, t6 wong->negative mystique->negative surfer->absorbing man. I need a smoke.

Am I crazy or did Absorbing Man previously work with Wong, and now he doesn't? I've been doing that same T6 (with Zabu/Sera, not Mr. Negative) and my 3-costs are only getting a measly +15

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I don't know if he used to but I think it's a bug right now that Abs Man does his copy twice on Wong and Kamar Taj even though his text changes to the new effect. I hope it's something they're working on but yeah, don't waste a Wong spot on him right now, put him on another spot and put a different second card on Wong.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I unlocked Sera. gently caress Negative Surfer, Sera Surfer is kicking it.

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

poe meater posted:

Ehh its probably just sample size. I run into a ton of Zabu decks and I have been running sandman since Zabu's release.

I often feel like matchmaking is grouping into cohorts based on deck archetype or some key cards (as well as some influence of rank and collection level).

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also I have a decent Magneto disruption deck. Those are the only 2 decks allowing me to climb right now.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

y_y posted:

I often feel like matchmaking is grouping into cohorts based on deck archetype or some key cards (as well as some influence of rank and collection level).

People can't complain about the meta if they're playing against their own deck. Genius.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Push El Burrito posted:

Got my first collector's caches. First one was like 150 gold so alright. Second was Rescue. Third was Magik. Look it's impossible this doesn't continue for me.

You're right, it's impossible - your next Cache will be currency. That's how the block system works: every set of four will have two cards and two currency bundles. When you reach Reserves, each block will have one gold/credits box, one cosmetic box, one 100 Token box and one card box (and each set of ten blocks will have one card box with Series 4 in).

Re: purchasing S3 with tokens - while it's obviously more expensive in tokens than leveling naturally, it's cheaper in terms of credits. As there's only so much you can acquire of each, spending tokens is a considerable time saving as you head towards S3 complete.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Walla posted:

Also I have a decent Magneto disruption deck. Those are the only 2 decks allowing me to climb right now.

What are you running in this one?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

RevKrule posted:

I don't know if he used to but I think it's a bug right now that Abs Man does his copy twice on Wong and Kamar Taj even though his text changes to the new effect. I hope it's something they're working on but yeah, don't waste a Wong spot on him right now, put him on another spot and put a different second card on Wong.

This screwed me one game and I was SO confused.

Are there any good zabu decks not built around spiderman? Don't have him. I've tried a few things and they're alright but I'd love to know what is out there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xguard86 posted:

This screwed me one game and I was SO confused.

Are there any good zabu decks not built around spiderman? Don't have him. I've tried a few things and they're alright but I'd love to know what is out there.

Sunspot
Zabu, Lady Sif
Dracula, Jubilee, Ghost Rider, Shang-Chi, White Queen, Crossbones
Amy Chav, She-Hulk, Infinaut

In the unlikely event that you have Darkhawk, it can replace Crossbones. But this is a pretty good "budget" list as the only card above S3 is She-Hulk, who is good in a great many decks so is a solid buy anyway.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Nice that looks fun! I enjoy discard shenanigans

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Tom Smykowski posted:

What are you running in this one?

# (1) Iceman
# (2) Cable
# (2) Scorpion
# (3) Cosmo
# (3) Killmonger
# (3) Rhino
# (4) Sandman
# (4) Enchantress
# (4) White Queen
# (5) Hobgoblin
# (5) Leech
# (6) Magneto
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSWNlbWFuIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJDYWJsZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2NvcnBpb24ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlJoaW5vIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTYW5kbWFuIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJFbmNoYW50cmVzcyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSG9iZ29ibGluIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJXaGl0ZVF1ZWVuIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJMZWVjaCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTWFnbmV0byJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ29zbW8ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IktpbGxtb25nZXIifV19
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

There are lots of substitutions that could be made obviously, but they would all be Pool 1 or 2. I don't have any more good Pool 3 disrupt/control cards.

Cable and White Queen often steal key cards. I once used an opponent's Shang Chi against their 4 stack Gamma Lab on T6, and another time I used someone's Infinaut on T5 with Elysium in play.

Sandman and Hobgoblin are great for slowing down tempo and often force immediate retreats.

Killmonger is there because the new zoo deck is Ultron on T6.

And I prefer Rhino over Scarlet Witch or Storm because he doesn't close off the lane and I don't have to worry about RNG.

And Leech just shuts down a lot of big brained T6 plays. And pisses people off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What the hell. Opponent just played Falcon and it picked up the two other one cost cards, but not Elektra that was their only card sitting in a Sanctum Santorum.

odiv fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 7, 2023