Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Goa Tse-tung posted:

as a Kaya fanboy the spoiler leaves me with mixed feelings

she's badass (as predicted), but she's like a passing ship in the night regarding artifacts and arrives too late, so storywise probably without impact

edit: also I don't get Tyvar at all, like he's from a different set and got crunched into this one

i think the phyrexians are using the world tree from zendikar for their invasion in some way so maybe the elves are uh mad about it ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

ram dass in hell posted:

i think the phyrexians are using the world tree from zendikar for their invasion in some way so maybe the elves are uh mad about it ??

It's from Kaldheim and I think I saw somewhere that they had explicitly stolen seeds from there to grow their own 'world tree', precisely to grow it into something that breaks through to other planes. So yeah I could see anyone from Kaldheim being pretty peeved about that.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
lmao the world tree not being legendary is plot relevant

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Khanstant posted:

Keyword (basically not even a thing because it's going to have fourteen lines of text explaining it most of the time)

This is way better that Keyword: normal game action. like ‘when attacks do this’ or ‘when a creature enters the battlefield’ which is just lazy poo poo.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Oh man, some of these rares really are just gonna be annoying as hell in Limited if the removal is not very strong.

That 3 mana 4/4 poison counter proliferate guy is gonna be a beast in Standard and maybe more formats, absolutely.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 7, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

meanolmrcloud posted:

This is way better that Keyword: normal game action. like ‘when attacks do this’ or ‘when a creature enters the battlefield’ which is just lazy poo poo.

Hearthstone had Battlecry and Deathrattle as keywords. ETB for former, go to graveyard for the latter. A much better system, plus when that creature is on the battlefield, it gets a little skull icon to make it visibly apparent that something happens when you kill that creature.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
At least the Corrupted mechanic makes poison not completely binary and boring

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

as a Kaya fanboy the spoiler leaves me with mixed feelings

she's badass (as predicted), but she's like a passing ship in the night regarding artifacts and arrives too late, so storywise probably without impact

edit: also I don't get Tyvar at all, like he's from a different set and got crunched into this one

Is it confirmed that Kaya gets got?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Is it confirmed that Kaya gets got?

It is confirmed she does not get got.

Don't know where these are on imgur so linking Reddit god help me: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/105bdfq/one_two_more_leaked_planeswalkers/

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 7, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wow, a 7-drop multicolor planeswalker, those are some impressive stats on that card but that seems like a bit costly to not essentially immediately win the game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
7 mana to get to experience using the last ability on a planeswalker for once in my life?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I cant read the card number, is it one of those "extra" planeswalkers that get stuffed into precons and are designed to not be competitive? Those were always like 6 or 7 mana

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think that's a card designed to be competitive.

hexproof as a static does a lot and you could be happy with just draining your opponent for 3 every turn while coasting on the giant loyalty. draw 2 your opponent scries 1 is good on a 0 and isn't super punishing in terms of giving your opponent a benefit. -3 'exile your opponent's best creature/enchantment and get its abilities for yourself' is also strong, but i think you'll be using that ability the least.

its cost is the most of a downside about it but to me it feels like a sign that WB control is going to be back

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I cant read the card number, is it one of those "extra" planeswalkers that get stuffed into precons and are designed to not be competitive? Those were always like 6 or 7 mana

It is a regular card in the set and, provided you haven’t lost by the time you cast it, I think it’s supposed to be pretty strong.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh right hexproof, my eyes completely glossed over that lol

On that last ability, if it wasn't a what?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

so apparently they made the same "mistake" as CLB having 2X2 cards and accidentally inserted ONE cards into DMR. so be on the watch for that if you go to a prerelease/release

honestly don't know if its a mistake or not.. since it seems kinda hosed up messing with draft boosters, but either way it looks pretty badly on WOTC.

apparently the marker is if you get a retroframe card as your first card, you get a card from ONE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1z_OJwBBlU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh right hexproof, my eyes completely glossed over that lol

On that last ability, if it wasn't a what?

if it wasn't an aura

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mikeraskol posted:

It is confirmed she does not get got.

Don't know where these are on imgur so linking Reddit god help me: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/105bdfq/one_two_more_leaked_planeswalkers/

so that's 7/10 fates confirmed. Pretty much confirms Kaito is getting compleated too, unless Lukka's gimmick is that he's going to switch up his color identity based on what creature he bonds with on each plane.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

so that's 7/10 fates confirmed. Pretty much confirms Kaito is getting compleated too, unless Lukka's gimmick is that he's going to switch up his color identity based on what creature he bonds with on each plane.

No all 10 are actually confirmed based on the leaks that are out. Obviously spoilers below:

Compleated: Jace, Nissa, Nahiri, Lukka, Vraska

Safe: Tyvar, Kaya, Kaito, Wandering Emperor, Koth

The Kaito card was revealed: https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/kaito-dancing-shadow/

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 7, 2023

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Very excited for the “break glass in case of emergency” moment where they let nicol bolas, garruk, and maybe emrakul run wild on new phyrexia.

I hope the massive multi plane crossover lets them go absolutely apeshit for printing old modern cards into pioneer. I’m talking noble hierarch, electrolyze, cryptic command, dark confidant, geist of st traft, tarmogoyf, lingering souls, and what have you.

Give the people a wildly powerful standard card pool

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mezzanon posted:

Very excited for the “break glass in case of emergency” moment where they let nicol bolas, garruk, and maybe emrakul run wild on new phyrexia.

I hope the massive multi plane crossover lets them go absolutely apeshit for printing old modern cards into pioneer. I’m talking noble hierarch, electrolyze, cryptic command, dark confidant, geist of st traft, tarmogoyf, lingering souls, and what have you.

intangible virtue!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

intangible virtue!

Almost forgot snapcaster mage

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

Could go the other way, since all of the heroes that know where Emrakul is (Jace, Tamiyo, Nissa) and who are good at summoning big monsters across planes (Lukka, Nahiri) are getting bodyhorrored. Also IIRC Jace is the one that Ugin left instructions with about the Prison Zone, right? Ugin has to figure in to the story somehow, given that colorless magic might have some advantage now that all the Phyrexians are rocking their technicolor dreamcoats.

I wonder when we will find out more about where Teferi is sidelined. Could be somewhere in the past, could be Zhalfir, could be something else.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Odds on an Urza and or Yawgmoth resurrection to fight the new phyrexians?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

mikeraskol posted:

No all 10 are actually confirmed based on the leaks that are out. Obviously spoilers below:

Compleated: Jace, Nissa, Nahiri, Lukka, Vraska

Safe: Tyvar, Kaya, Kaito, Wandering Emperor, Koth

The Kaito card was revealed: https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/kaito-dancing-shadow/

I hadn’t seen that kaito I like that for cube it feels really solid at cost in a cube format

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
The compleated and hero planeswalkers all kill each other in a big showdown, and out of the confluence of mana released emerges a new Karona.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Odds on an Urza and or Yawgmoth resurrection to fight the new phyrexians?

I do not usually care one bit about the story in M:TG but I'd be super pumped for a resurrected Yawgmoth fighting against the Phyrexians Terminator 2 style

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
Why would Yawgmoth fight against the New Phyrexians? Even if he wasn’t immediately recognized as their god and worshipped, wouldn’t he just be like “hell yeah good job kid” to them all?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Another ONE spoiler:

wow budget Giver of Runes in standard and pioneer eh?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Kadath posted:

Why would Yawgmoth fight against the New Phyrexians? Even if he wasn’t immediately recognized as their god and worshipped, wouldn’t he just be like “hell yeah good job kid” to them all?

Depends on if the New Phyrexians would want to follow someone who was born human and then completed themselves. Yawgmoth also failed to the extent that basically all of old Phyrexia was destroyed, and he never even figured out how to compleat Planeswalkers. Why follow a loser with outdated technology?

From an ideological and physiological perspective the New Phyrexians are completely distinct from the originals. All the leadership caste of New Phyrexia were "born" compleat, so why would they throw in with beings that are basically to them what Neanderthals are to modern humans. Urabrask's attempt to find allies in Capenna also suggests that the OG Phyrexia would have some reason to see the new guys as a threat - if nothing else New Phyrexia is of Urzan lineage (through Karn).

Could also just be so simple as " two hells is one too many, so somebody has to go".

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Karn has the Phyrexian Newt Xantcha's Hearthstone as the core of his personality, which makes Yawgmoth his grandfather I guess.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

That got replaced with Venser's heart, but yeah still counts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Captain Invictus posted:

wow, a 7-drop multicolor planeswalker, those are some impressive stats on that card but that seems like a bit costly to not essentially immediately win the game

Helix you every turn is pretty close to winning the game…

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Compleating planeswalkers and growing a new world tree got done pretty quickly, wonder when Urabrask is going to reveal his oil based angel juice or whatever.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

AngryBooch posted:

Another ONE spoiler:

This unironically rules.

I'm building cEDH Winota and I think it's a slam dunk there.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Dominaria Remastered preview sealed trip report: gently caress No Mercy what a stupid card to have to play against in limited

Also I very much do not miss basically all black removal specifying nonblack (and usually nonartifact too)

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

AngryBooch posted:

Another ONE spoiler:

I've tried mom in legacy infect before and didn't like it. Functionally this is very similar except it functionally buffs your creatures +1 when they hit face, is legendary, can't protect itself, and doesn't help you block. I don't think it's good enough but I'll try it out. Also story wise is the implication this little bug joined the rebels? Good bug.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Our LGS had their monthly Legacy yesterday and we were 19 players. I went 1-3 with a delightfully untuned Jeskai Control splashing for Minsc and Life from the Loam and in the last round at the bottom tables, a guy next to me was playing Elves vs. a player with a Pioneer WB deck who decided to join the event for shits and giggles. It turns out while the Pioneer dude went 0-4, he won three games, only one less than I did with my record (0-2, 1-2, 1-2, 2-1). He won the event in my book tbh (and he ended up getting a nice promo from the store)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

Our LGS had their monthly Legacy yesterday and we were 19 players. I went 1-3 with a delightfully untuned Jeskai Control splashing for Minsc and Life from the Loam and in the last round at the bottom tables, a guy next to me was playing Elves vs. a player with a Pioneer WB deck who decided to join the event for shits and giggles. It turns out while the Pioneer dude went 0-4, he won three games, only one less than I did with my record (0-2, 1-2, 1-2, 2-1). He won the event in my book tbh (and he ended up getting a nice promo from the store)

That rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I got a wild rear end idea to try an art project and after realizing stained glass would be hard and expensive I figured I'd try a similar mosaic-ish thing but just using cut wood. Figured I'd start with a classic that lends itself to this approach.

First was cutting all the petals and such with a jig saw:

Then I did the first round of staining tonight. Color match isn't perfect but I am trying to keep a woody sort of characteristic, hence stains instead of paint.

Gonna see how it looks after it dries then do some touch ups and stain the sides. Then its just gluing the pieces in place and maybe setting up a frame or something.

Finished product:

The colors bled a bit and the background is a little boring but overall I am pretty happy for how it came out. :shobon: