Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm still pretty high on the Rangers if they can put it together. They're probably gonna add Kane at the deadline and Shesterkin is capable of God Mode through a series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/jachobe/status/1611209099789881345?t=UiUTsylY60WchJzmNIQ90g&s=19

NHL N/V January: and go gently caress yourself with woooo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jake is the saltiest dude I love him lmao

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DJExile posted:

Jake is the saltiest dude I love him lmao

Maybe he'll get to be teammates with that once in a generation talent next yeahahahaha who am I kidding it'll be Chicago.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah it's what they do. They crush mediocre teams. They finish high, have no trouble with whatever lesser team they play in the first round (Boston last year was a stiffer challenge than usual) then they have to play an actual contender and they lose.

It's a real good place for the Hurricanes to be after a decade of losing real bad, but Brind'Amour may not be the guy for taking a good team to the Cup.

Yeah it's not that they're a bad team, and hell they could even win a cup with a lucky run, but I feel like the throw pucks at the net and retrieve them thing they rely heavily on puts them in just that situation...getting lucky.

They do create skilled plays and chances, it's not that they can't, but they really rely on shooting from everywhere and getting bounces and I feel like maybe that's a little too stuck in "stone age playoff hockey" where everyone said that's what you have to do to win wheras nowadays you gotta be able to create skill plays on a regular basis.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Maybe he'll get to be teammates with that once in a generation talent next yeahahahaha who am I kidding it'll be Chicago.

I thought he was out indefinitely with exceptionally hot brains

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
https://twitter.com/pagesix/status/1611371826910826498?s=46&t=9xSarwBHr_-XyE_6TBc_MQ

I know this doesn’t seem NHL related but holy lmao at who the father is.

Former Flyer Nate Thompson lol

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

mentholmoose posted:

https://twitter.com/pagesix/status/1611371826910826498?s=46&t=9xSarwBHr_-XyE_6TBc_MQ

I know this doesn’t seem NHL related but holy lmao at who the father is.

Former Flyer Nate Thompson lol

I think you mean former Flyer, Jet, Canadien, King, Senator, Duck, Lightning, Islander, and Bruin.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

Yeah it's not that they're a bad team, and hell they could even win a cup with a lucky run, but I feel like the throw pucks at the net and retrieve them thing they rely heavily on puts them in just that situation...getting lucky.

They do create skilled plays and chances, it's not that they can't, but they really rely on shooting from everywhere and getting bounces and I feel like maybe that's a little too stuck in "stone age playoff hockey" where everyone said that's what you have to do to win wheras nowadays you gotta be able to create skill plays on a regular basis.

my main issue with Carolina is that they don’t have much room to elevate their game. the Pens are always scary come playoff time, even if they’ve had some bad luck lately, because they clearly do not give 100% most nights in the regular season. Tampa is the same. it’s just a different level come playoff time.

that makes me bullish on teams like Tampa and Toronto and Pittsburgh if they make it, since they clearly have another gear they can get to. it’s why I’m always skeptical of “this guy competes hard every game” type of guys. no one can do that and be healthy and ready for playoff time past a certain age. it’s also why McDavid and Makar are the best two players in the league to me, easy. i like Auston and love Fox, but they haven’t shown yet an ability to get into like 7th gear in the playoffs like those two.

it’s definitely a great coaching achievement by Rod to get them to 100% every game, but I don’t think they have the dogs to be the clear favorite in the east. I think I go:

Tampa

Boston
Rangers
Toronto

Hurricanes
Penguins
Devils

Islanders
Capitals

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

my main issue with Carolina is that they don’t have much room to elevate their game. the Pens are always scary come playoff time, even if they’ve had some bad luck lately, because they clearly do not give 100% most nights in the regular season. Tampa is the same. it’s just a different level come playoff time.

that makes me bullish on teams like Tampa and Toronto and Pittsburgh if they make it, since they clearly have another gear they can get to. it’s why I’m always skeptical of “this guy competes hard every game” type of guys. no one can do that and be healthy and ready for playoff time past a certain age. it’s also why McDavid and Makar are the best two players in the league to me, easy. i like Auston and love Fox, but they haven’t shown yet an ability to get into like 7th gear in the playoffs like those two.

it’s definitely a great coaching achievement by Rod to get them to 100% every game, but I don’t think they have the dogs to be the clear favorite in the east. I think I go:

Tampa

Boston
Rangers
Toronto

Hurricanes
Penguins
Devils

Islanders
Capitals

I mean...Fox 23 points in 20 playoff games last year. Makar did do better than that but i think Fox elevated his play

also lol that googling Adam Fox right now returns a guy getting sentenced for planning to kidnap the Wisco governor

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

I mean...Fox 23 points in 20 playoff games last year. Makar did do better than that but i think Fox elevated his play

also lol that googling Adam Fox right now returns a guy getting sentenced for planning to kidnap the Wisco governor

Fox did learn a thing or two from Tony DeAngelo.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1611436882587426816

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah a whoooole lotta Leafs fans got got by the usual November sv% mirage, and the Leafs terrible goaltenders crashing down to earth as soon as the calendar year was up was absurdly predictable.

The fan base has started turning on Morgan Rielly because the crash more or less coincided with his return to the lineup and his gaffes are obvious, but it’s pretty clear the goalies are letting the team down the last month or so. I will repeat my years-long stance that Morgan Rielly shouldn’t have been re-signed, though.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The Carolina team is the clearest example yet of a roster in want of a superstar.. it's about as good now as you can make a pro sports team be without having anyone even close to awards conversation, watch out if they ever manage to bring in a truly elite talent to anchor their team around... they really should have been the team to have traded for Matthew Tkachuk, missed oppurtunity.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 6, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah a whoooole lotta Leafs fans got got by the usual November sv% mirage, and the Leafs terrible goaltenders crashing down to earth as soon as the calendar year was up was absurdly predictable.

Also it prevented the one thing from happening that might have led to the Leafs actually winning a playoff series, Sheldon Keefe's termination.

e: Aho is absolutely an elite player, he's a PPG and one of the best defensive forwards in hockey, a loving terror on the forecheck. He's the same player as peak Toews, but no one knows who he is because he doesn't have any teammates in his weight class and plays in Raleigh. And also because he looks like he's 12.

The Hurricanes' problem is that it's hard to tell who their second-best player is, and not in a good way. But they do really well against mediocre teams (and also good teams that are on cruise control deep in the regular season) because they have no boat-anchor players and they play their asses off with a manic-tempo style that forces mistakes. But it's prone to being carved open by the better players playing better systems that the elite teams bring to bear, especially in the playoffs when they're devoting all their energy to beating Carolina specifically.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 6, 2023

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/canadiensmtl/status/1611399404371730433

god drat it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also it prevented the one thing from happening that might have led to the Leafs actually winning a playoff series, Sheldon Keefe's termination.

e: Aho is absolutely an elite player, he's a PPG and one of the best defensive forwards in hockey, a loving terror on the forecheck. He's the same player as peak Toews, but no one knows who he is because he doesn't have any teammates in his weight class and plays in Raleigh. And also because he looks like he's 12.

The Hurricanes' problem is that it's hard to tell who their second-best player is, and not in a good way. But they do really well against mediocre teams (and also good teams that are on cruise control deep in the regular season) because they have no boat-anchor players and they play their asses off with a manic-tempo style that forces mistakes. But it's prone to being carved open by the better players playing better systems that the elite teams bring to bear, especially in the playoffs when they're devoting all their energy to beating Carolina specifically.

Svechnikov should be that guy but feels like he's just on the cusp and not quite there

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Starsfan posted:

The Carolina team is the clearest example yet of a roster in want of a superstar.. it's about as good now as you can make a pro sports team be without having anyone even close to awards conversation, watch out if they ever manage to bring in a truly elite talent to anchor their team around... they really should have been the team to have traded for Matthew Tkachuk, missed oppurtunity.

Well it just so happens that two former superstars are available in Kane and Toews so they could easily remedy that this year!

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Matt Tkachuk is a superstar? Is every ppg player a superstar?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You have to be PPG 3 seasons in a row to unlock superstar.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

Matt Tkachuk is a superstar? Is every ppg player a superstar?

Putting aside analytics and player valuation models which have been argued to over-rate Tkachuk over the last 120 games the only players in the league that have scored more points/60 than Tkachuk are McDavid and Kucherov so I think it's fair to throw his name in the ring.. He has 47 points in 36 games this year playing on a Florida team decimated by injuries, you have to consider at some point as the production piles up that last year was a legitimate break out season for the guy.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I played Mario party last weekend and now I'm a superstar

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
matt Tkachuk sucks and is whack

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
So I know that SOMEONE has to come out of the Pacific with 3 guaranteed spots, but I'm surprised at the Kings being in second there. What's the story? Easy schedule? Prospects finally breaking through? Quick revived again? Just feels surprising to see them above the Flames and Oilers and in 2nd.

Similarly, how are the Jets in 2nd in the Central over the Blues or Wild? Is it really just removing Paul Maurice?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

The Kings are a pretty solid team in all likelihood, their goaltending is actually pretty bad for the most part this year.. can't speak to their strength of schedule but overall they are a budget version of Carolina where they pour on shot attempts and tilt the ice but they don't have the elite finishing talent on their roster. I remember last year in the first year they should have been swept out of there by the Oilers but Quick stood on his head.. makes me leery of giving them too much credit until they show they can play with the teams with more game impacting talent on the roster when it counts.

The Jets are amazing goaltending and well above average finishing leading to results, they are a fraud team that you should expect to fall off except for the fact that they've actually been pretty injured (and apparently alot of those players are now returning or close) so the fundamentals underlying their performance may improve even as more pucks start finding the back of their net and less go into the opponents.

***Despite what I said about the Jets being a fraud team, they are actually probably just legit better than the Blues and the Preds by a decent margin when healthy so you should still expect them to make the playoffs.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 7, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The Blues were really bad for about 4-5 weeks and the Wild had a really bad start. Winnipeg has been playing decent hockey and Hellebuyck has been playing great in goal. They’ve mostly kept it up with injuries too. They play a lot better without Paul Maurice’s fingerprints everywhere on the team. (Sorry Florida fans).

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Pungry posted:

So I know that SOMEONE has to come out of the Pacific with 3 guaranteed spots, but I'm surprised at the Kings being in second there. What's the story? Easy schedule? Prospects finally breaking through? Quick revived again? Just feels surprising to see them above the Flames and Oilers and in 2nd.

Similarly, how are the Jets in 2nd in the Central over the Blues or Wild? Is it really just removing Paul Maurice?

Kings have played 42 games already while Kraken, Oilers, Flames have played 37, 40, 39. They are second in points but not ahead by as much as it seems due to more games played. Plus those other 3 teams all have positive goal differential while Kings are at -8. So they likely will not hold on to that #2 spot.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Blues ship is in the process of sinking (and the defense has been awful since they let Pietrangelo walk) and O'Reilly and Tarasenko being out for a month+ guarantees they'll struggle to grab an 8th spot.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Pungry posted:

Everybody in the Pacific is terrible except for Vegas. Kings are, at this moment, slightly less terrible than other terrible teams.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1611552211074519041?s=20&t=BHPyB0Gt4xK4aswkM7CAbA

Horrible. It sounds like they may have ended the game because of it too. Hope he's alright.

https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1611553052607004672?s=20&t=BHPyB0Gt4xK4aswkM7CAbA

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
The Winnipeg Jets are for real.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
More like LOSEapeg!!!!!:smug::smug:

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
wheels about to fall off this wings season. since november the pk is at a sizzling 68%. PP not much better.
team is just good enough to have no shot at bedard, but not good enough to really have any hope to compete any time soon. hockey purgatory

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Nick Backstrom is returning tomorrow after his hip resurfacing surgery he got in the summer.

I’m excited but I find it hard to believe he’s going to come back and be effective given that no one else in the NHL has ever come back from the surgery and played more than a few dozen games.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Backstrom's game isn't really all that much about skating though. It's not like he was ever zipping around like McDavid. As long as he can keep up with the play, I'd imagine he'll still be reasonably effective.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Backstrom's game isn't really all that much about skating though. It's not like he was ever zipping around like McDavid. As long as he can keep up with the play, I'd imagine he'll still be reasonably effective.

His game is predicated on puck protection and good hips are kind of important for that. He was pretty bad last year when he tried returning without surgery. 31 points in 47 games isn't terrible of course, but it was a huge dropoff from his normal form. I'm hoping he can be better than last year, even if he's not likely to get back to his old form.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Also Tom Wilson is coming back tomorrow.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
https://twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/1611454183206539267?s=46&t=OI00PzrNDWYky7R-wSHFnA

It’s cool to see him dominating again.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Does he just thrive on being "the guy" or what's up here
has he been hurt the last few seasons?
It's wild he's just suddenly good again

I see he's getting some easier zone starts but that can't be the whole story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted: