Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol we'll see what the inevitable press investigation into these claims reveals but I don't take anything Bauer says seriously without some strong corroboration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

General Bullshit posted:

Both Mize and Bart were seen as easy choices in the 2018 draft and have been really crummy in the majors.
Mize just hasn't stayed healthy

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Lol we'll see what the inevitable press investigation into these claims reveals but I don't take anything Bauer says seriously without some strong corroboration.
I wonder if it was like "hey man we wanted you to return but you are a 100% unrepentant rear end in a top hat, have shown zero remorse for anything, and we have no faith that you have learned anything from this whole saga so we can't deal with this bullshit anymore"

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's concerned me because he doesn't strike out a lot of batters in an era where everyone is whiffing.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

FlamingLiberal posted:

His numbers in 2021 were respectable, but he had absolutely no offense backing him up. Then his arm exploded two starts into this past season

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this were true, the official statement reads like it was pre-drafted for Bauer returning and then at the last possible second the Dodgers flipped and rather than redo the statement they just lopped off the bit about him returning and replaced it with one sentence saying he's been released.

Intruder posted:

Seemed very much like a "don't complain, MLBPA" sort of statement

MLBPA can't complain about poo poo. The Dodgers were fully in their rights to unconditionally release Bauer - the same way any team is with any player - and they're still on the hook for his salary. I guess if they really wanted to stretch it the MLBPA could whine about how this hurts Bauer's future earnings but I think Bauer has done the bulk of the damage there himself regardless of the Dodgers retaining him or not.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

If I thought Bauer had any self awareness at all I'd think this was an attempt to make the Dodgers look bad for wanting to keep him

Instead he thinks it makes them look bad because they "lied to him"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

I wonder if it was like "hey man we wanted you to return but you are a 100% unrepentant rear end in a top hat, have shown zero remorse for anything, and we have no faith that you have learned anything from this whole saga so we can't deal with this bullshit anymore"

Very well could have been "look we want you back but you need to agree to shut the gently caress up on Twitter, shut the gently caress up to the press, drop your lawsuits against the victims/Molly Knight, and go along with whatever redemption PR spin we try with you" and Bauer ultimately came down on "no gently caress you, I did nothing wrong."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whatever happened, Bauer is spinning it so it's maximally complimentary towards him and makes the Dodgers look bad. He's also going to get asked "who in your clubhouse gave you the most support" and who knows what he'll say. I doubt Mookie appreciates being part of the "wealth of support" Trev is referencing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
gently caress off Bauer, I hope you never pitch in the MLB again.

His statement is 100% him trying to show that the Dodgers org and other players were supporting him and that he isn't a toxic human in an appeal to other clubs to take him on. The only reason Bauer isn't flipping poo poo on the Dodgers is because he wants to get picked up.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

I'm glad the Astros have so much starting pitching depth

oh absolutely

also lol at that Bauer release, in order of likelihood I think it's either:

- he's very much misrepresenting what he was told, which was probably heavily caveated or conditional
- he's straight up lying
- he's not lying and actually got jobbed

Not sure which I'm hoping to be true

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
he's always been a troll and I refuse to expect this statement to be anything but that

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cubs whatever you do please do not sign Bauer, I would rather have a team of all Hosmers.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Bauer could put out a statement saying that grass is green and I'd want independent confirmation from two separate sources before believing it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Bauer sounds perfect for the Ricketts

in that someone else is paying his salary

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

- he's not lying and actually got jobbed
this would be the funniest option and I'd have more respect for the Dodgers if they straight up lied to his face just to gently caress with him, but I doubt it

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

Bauer sounds perfect for the Ricketts

in that someone else is paying his salary

What owner is incredibly cheap, doesn’t give a poo poo about public outrage, and wants to win?

Sounds like Reinsdorf to me

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gently caress off trevor

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I guess this is one instance where Cardinals ownership being relative penny-pinchers saves me from worrying

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mike_V posted:

I guess this is one instance where Cardinals ownership being relative penny-pinchers saves me from worrying
If he signs with anyone else this year they only owe him the major league minimum, Dodgers are on the hook for the rest of his contract regardless.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Now that's a headline!

Dodgers show Trevor Bauer the door following meeting where he didn't show remorse

also what seems to be confirmation in here that they spent the last two weeks trying to unload him on someone else

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The article says they tried to trade him well offering to pay almost all his salary. Hopefully that means nobody is willing to touch him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i want to believe that even the cubs are not slimy enough to do it, but there's no bottom with this family.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Pirates should sign Bauer so Bob Nutting can double down on being the most reviled man in Pittsburgh

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Likely some assistant coach in Glendale said "looking good man, hope to see you in top form again" as a way to be nice to a baseball player and he's going to misrepresent that as the intents of the office. Ownership's intentions were clear from the, well, lack of enthused spending for a team that's supposedly win-now.

Good on the Dodgers for letting him go and also gently caress the Dodgers for signing him in the first place. He's so hatable that it's easy to forget that they paid him huge for being the foremost authority on the latest cheat code for pitching. At least they get the W for realizing how terrible this was and that it means more than wins/losses.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 7, 2023

stump collector
May 28, 2007
My expectation is that he will not be signed because Bonds didn't get signed. He's such a piece of poo poo compared to Bonds but I feel Trevor Bauer will be frozen out in the same way that Bonds was.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah my money is that he ends up playing overseas. If his ego will let him that is.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

this would be the funniest option and I'd have more respect for the Dodgers if they straight up lied to his face just to gently caress with him, but I doubt it

I’m sure it’s not the first time where someone’s told him “no” and he’s heard “yes”

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
They did it to him on Jan 6th, a high holy holiday for Bauer. Brutal.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

If he signs with anyone else this year they only owe him the major league minimum, Dodgers are on the hook for the rest of his contract regardless.

You'd think there would be a clause where bad personal behavior would allow them to negate the contract.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

You’d think so, but that also seems like the kind of vague clause that the union would (rightly) not allow

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

There is a morals clause but it hasn't been tested since Ponson and Neagle and both teams ended up paying the majority of those deals out.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

quote:

Will he ever throw another pitch in the big leagues?

Will any team swallow their morals for the sake of talent?

Does any baseball team dare risk alienating their fanbase, and potentially dividing their clubhouse, simply for a few extra victories at the bargain basement price of the minimum $720,000?

Go ahead, ask the Dodgers.

The Dodgers, who could use another front-line starter, just paid him $22.5 million to go away.

And never come back.

The good stuff at the end of the article.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The guy who designed one of the only good parts of the Skydome died.

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/1611535909396295682?s=20&t=Eb3lU71uf4iHHvaoDkR1iw

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
wait was Neagle just moral-claused for the solicitation bust, or was it that plus the DWI, or what?

seems almost quaint in comparison

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

elentar posted:

wait was Neagle just moral-claused for the solicitation bust, or was it that plus the DWI, or what?

seems almost quaint in comparison

The Rockies were itching to get out of his contract after his disaster of a 2003 season, and then the solicitation bust gave them the grounds to do it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

The guy who designed one of the only good parts of the Skydome died.

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/1611535909396295682?s=20&t=Eb3lU71uf4iHHvaoDkR1iw

I've never seen that before at all and it's cool as hell.

Also, apparently the Skydome has a weird brutalist pyramid corner?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Blue Jays project Wavelength during a game if you love Snow so much, you cowards

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
https://twitter.com/jsalisburynbcs/status/1611777788171915269?s=61&t=Q3vaLYAzKxrm7unyTgixiA

Somebody tell me about Soto. BB-ref suggests a pitcher with potential to improve under the right staff. If the Phils could fix Soto like they did Alvarado that could be huge.

e: https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1611782772674134021?s=61&t=EZMJmKJRwjOcpRjuSlc10Q

Okay sure. Guess Clemens replaces Maton on the bench and Guthrie gets a much better chance at the 4th outfielder job. I feel like the Phils should attempt to get another CF though, now.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Mike_V posted:

Cardinals are penny pinchers? Never realized this but hey i don't follow them. Also what about a Bauer back to Cleveland?