Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Merkinman posted:

Yes that's my point. Qi2 won't change anything with regards to iPhone interoperability.

It absolutely will as they will be adopting Qi2.

Authentication may mean that you have to have an Apple certified Qi2 charger to use on an iPhone, but it doesn't PREVENT that same charger from being used in with an Android device. Just the same way that you can buy a charger today that supports Apple PPDE, Samsung PPDE, Google PPDE, and EPP.

Yes, apple could decide to not allow their first party accessory stuff to auth with anything other than an iPhone, but big loving deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh great, some of us will be getting satellite SMS as well

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/01/qualcomm-says-it-built-a-better-satellite-messaging-system-than-apple/?comments=1&comments-page=1

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Is there anything to this Pixel 7/Pixel 7 Pro story about the back camera class shattering directly over the lens? There’s a decent amount of people complaining on Twitter and Reddit, and loads of reporting on those people’s complaints from more clickbaity places and some outlets like Tom’s Hardware and LTT mentioned it but no one seems to have done any actual investigating into whether it’s a real issue or a weird smear campaign or what.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Who knows really. I feel like every released phone ends up having a spate of spontaneous shatterings of something for a period and then they go away.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

but no one seems to have done any actual investigating into whether it’s a real issue or a weird smear campaign or what.

This is pretty par for the course, every single pixel release ever has some weird fuckin issue like this spreading around the phone sites, it's best to just disregard.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
January update broke bluetooth but only to my car's head unit

seemingly I'm not alone in that because even AP ran an article on it but lol

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Huh. Was playing around with my P7p and the power button just...fell off...
Great quality!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Shai-Hulud posted:

Great quality!

Huh, my mom was right.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Shai-Hulud posted:

Great quality!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i have been agonizing over whether i should get a pixel 7 or a p7p or an iphone or a galaxy or whatever

ultimately, none of these new phones feel like they're worth spending the money to "upgrade" to what they're offering and i think the best choice is to stick with my pixel 5 and get the screen fixed in hopes the ambient light sensor issues will go away. that's really the only thing making me consider a new phone in the first place, but phones have become so boring these days that all these newer phones feel like a downgrade.

bigger screens on the newer pixels but unusable with one hand and smaller ppi and uneven bezels. better cameras that were outclassed by the 6a in MKBHDs blind camera test (which is essentially the same camera as the pixel 5?). less reliable fingerprint scanner that needs to light up and potentially blind you in bed at night + you can't reasonably find it without looking bc there's nothing physical to hone in on.

what are some real advantages aside from a bigger battery that i'm being ignorant to here? i understand pretty much all of this is subjective and comes down to personal preference.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
The cameras on the iPhones and Pixels are ridiculously good.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

agreed. but is the 7 or 7 pro THAT much better than the 5? i only ever post anything on instagram or send directly to friends who aren't painstakingly critiquing the minutiae of photo quality

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I upgraded to the 7 from the 5 only because it was $100 with trade in. I miss the rear fingerprint sensor. I liked the size better. The camera is good but not much better than the 5. In hindsight, none of it was worth switching, but it wasn't worth returning either since for the price, I'm paying $100 for basically the same thing with an extra few years of support.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

"Video is already in this conversation."

gently caress you Google, that was 3 years ago, I want to send it again.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

agreed. but is the 7 or 7 pro THAT much better than the 5? i only ever post anything on instagram or send directly to friends who aren't painstakingly critiquing the minutiae of photo quality

Went from a 5 to a 7 because the battery in the 5 was getting worse and the trade in deal was too good to pass up. I'd be just as satisfied if I'd had the battery replaced on the 5. I'd say fix the screen and rock the 5 until it's not getting security updates!

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

ShoogaSlim posted:

It depends on your use case. The telephoto on the 7 Pro is absolutely better than past Pixel zoom options and I use it every day. Night sight also processes stuff faster.

The difference won't be as noticeable if you're just taking basic shots outdoors in clear daylight.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 8, 2023

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

appreciate the comments and feedback. my 5 won't get me much in terms of trade in bc of the screen so i would need to fix that anyway, and my night sight shots are still pretty good despite the slower processing. sounds like just sticking with the 5 and fixing the screen is the way to go!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

double posting bc i have a question

my pixel 5 still successfully engages the "flip to shh" do not disturb mode when i put my phone face down on a table or desk. i assume that uses the proximity sensor, right?

i ask bc i was also under the assumption that the prox sensor was busted bc the AOD no longer stays on at all despite any of my settings *and* whenever i initiate a phone call, the screen automatically turns off. both of these lead me to infer that the prox sensor is detecting something in the way so it turns the screen off or disables the AOD.

now i'm not so sure spending ~200 to fix the screen will actually solve my problems and i'm at a bit of a crossroads on what to do

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Pixel 5 drops out of support in October, if I recall correctly, so you're probably better off getting whatever trade-in value you can and go to one of the 6 or 7 series phones.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

It's nice to see my legacy lives on!

Seriously though: Not the best power button on the 7 Pro. I've gotten way more relaxed about this, though. The 5 had the best one IMO.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The Pixel 5 drops out of support in October, if I recall correctly, so you're probably better off getting whatever trade-in value you can and go to one of the 6 or 7 series phones.

just saw on reddit that the new phones are $100 off again at best buy and target etc. tempting but it really does feel like a step backwards. if it had a rear fingerprint sensor i would buy one immediately. that's the biggest thing holding me back.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

just saw on reddit that the new phones are $100 off again at best buy and target etc. tempting but it really does feel like a step backwards. if it had a rear fingerprint sensor i would buy one immediately. that's the biggest thing holding me back.

Wait until Pixel 8, who knows what they'll come up with. I still use my P5 and have no intention of dropping it any time soon.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

You do this same song and dance every time you have to change phones. Seriously, go back and look at your posts from the past 2 years. It's either complaining about having to upgrade your 2 XL and talking about how much you hate the 5, or talking about how much you hate the latest version of Android. You've been talking about wanting to upgrade your current phone since at least March, almost a full year ago.

Just get an iPhone, dude. It's clear you don't like change, but good lord give it a rest. poo poo changes. Sorry.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

Speaking as someone who was similarly skeptical, if the fingerprint reader is the only thing holding you back, don't let it hold you back. Like it's not quite as good as a hardware sensor, but it's fine, and the combination of that and face unlock works pretty much all of the time.

I do like my 7P but I'd probably have liked a 6a too as an upgrade from my 3aXL

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Why do people hate in screen fingerprint readers? Are they bad on stuff that isn't Samsung? It wasn't perfect back on the note 10 for me I've literally never had a misread after 2 years on s21 ultra (that wasn't caused by accidentally missing most of the scanner)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't have an issue with optical readers, but the ultrasonic ones that Samsung uses still don't work well for me.

Honestly, that's where we are, each fingerprint sensor type works best for a different cross section of skin/fingerprint types. No sensor works best for everyone. When a model changes, the cross section of who it works for changes which illicits a response (combined with those it works fine for but have an adjustment period with muscle memory.)

Prior to the Pixel going in-display, there were just as many people bemoaning the fact that they have to pick up their phone to unlock it when sitting on a table and all the reviews panned it for not having a modern design.

The P6P and P7P has been more accurate for me than the Pixel 5 fingerprint sensor (though not necessarily faster) and way faster and more accurate than the ultrasonic sensors in the Galaxy S line.

All that said, I maintain the best fingerprint sensor is actually on the power button, but even that has an adjustment period to keep from hitting it when you are just handing the phone.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I gotta be honest I think the P7 sensor is fine and works 80% as well as the P5. What I miss most of all is the ability to swipe down on the rear sensor to pull down the notifications.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bind double tap to the back for that if you are missing it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Pixel 7 fingerprint scanner is fine, works for me completely reliably.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've got the p7p, still prefer the back sensor because I can find it in the dark with out being blinded.
The p7p is fine. Works well for me. But I can have my screen on extra low and the sensor still needs to be on full blast to scan my print. If I'm not on it perfect, the white will shine right out into my eyes. It's annoying.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

repiv posted:

I guess I should just try it and return the charger if it ends up being annoying

It's definitely a thing though, if I charge my earbuds from my phone with reverse charging they make a constant ticking sound

Well I picked up a Spigen charging pad and it seems quiet but it makes the Samsung wall charger it's running from whine :ironicat:

can't wait for my high frequency hearing to go so i can live in blissful ignorance of coil whine

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"The P7 sensor is fine" and "It's not as good as a hardware sensor" are not contradictions. I'm finding it generally pretty reliable, though, just not quite as fast. Face unlock is fast but isn't quite as reliable. Between the two of them I only rarely have to resort to the pin to unlock my phone 937 times a day because I'm a fidgeter.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The reason I still think the back fingerprint scanner is superior isn't because of a flaw/problem with the P7's - it's just that I find the back scanner a smoother/easier physical location for how I use my phone. I used to be able to seamlessly take my phone out of my pocket, and my finger would naturally rest on the back scanner location and by the time I can see the screen it's unlocked. The front scanner I can't do that the same :(

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

The reason I still think the back fingerprint scanner is superior isn't because of a flaw/problem with the P7's - it's just that I find the back scanner a smoother/easier physical location for how I use my phone. I used to be able to seamlessly take my phone out of my pocket, and my finger would naturally rest on the back scanner location and by the time I can see the screen it's unlocked. The front scanner I can't do that the same :(

Yeah, I definitely feel you on this, though getting used to a back scanner coming off a Moto G5 (which had a front scanner) took some time too. I imagine by the time I get used to the new position they'll change it again in the next model or two.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The one fingerprint scanner location I absolutely will never accept and can gently caress off and die is on the power button. gently caress that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

I have not been able to reliably trigger this gesture on my regular 7. Even holding the phone in one hand and whacking away at it with the other is hit or miss.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

I have not been able to reliably trigger this gesture on my regular 7. Even holding the phone in one hand and whacking away at it with the other is hit or miss.

Have you adjusted the sensitivity in settings? It has gotten pretty reliable on my Pixel 6, but I don't use it much (I have it set to turn on the flashlight).

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

hooah posted:

I had this problem big time with my 7. On my P6 the tap point was near the camera which was nice as my finger naturally goes to that spot one handed. I discovered recently that tapping low on the P7, at the G logo or below, works every time for me. Might be worth trying.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

bull3964 posted:

I did but it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

You do this same song and dance every time you have to change phones.

this is fair and i'm sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with my indecisiveness. years ago i would just buy every new iphone bc it was overall the same experience just incrementally better hardware. i jumped ship bc ios is so restrictive and i really do prefer android by a wide margin. but if you look at every pixel since the 1, google has changed fundamental ways you interact with the device almost every single iteration. i guess that's just a development philosophy that i either have to live with or avoid.

you can see it in comments by others in this thread and all over reddit: the fingerprint is "fine" with compromises, you can no longer comfortably one-hand, google pay is weird bc of the combo biometrics. the p7p is too big and too curved. etc etc etc

i really wish i were less discerning but i'm a nitpicky bitch and i guess i'm just pretty flabbergasted that there doesn't seem to be a phone on the market that i can go out and buy brand new that meets the sweet spot for me. i feel left out, and as a tech enthusiast/pedant i was pretty sure the pixel line was where i would find that sweet spot but it isn't.

maybe i'll just look for a used pixel 5 somewhere idfk. but i'll shut up about it bc constantly posting doesn't help or change anything.