Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

All else is frippery and extraneous.

Mischieveious and deceitful. Chicanerous! and deplorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/sherman4949/status/1611694766047084545?s=20

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

LIV is the Roman numeral for 54. 54 is the score you get if you birdie every hole on a par-72 course.

I’m pretty sure the LIV is for the 54 holes played in a LIV golf tournament. In comparison PGA tournaments are 72 holes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Every clip I see of Charlotte is just absolute dog poo poo botches and weak poo poo, but I admit I haven't really watched her matches since the Kairi incident permanently put her on my poo poo list. So I don't want to assume unfairly that all of her stuff is on this level.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Isn't that mainly on Sonya? She went too much ahead.

Anyway, botch clips, while funny, aren't very good for evaluating anyone's overall skill.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

I guess depending on how lucrative territorial wrestling promotion was leading up to the 1970s. Which is something I sincerely don't know.
I was going to put Vince at a 7. He grew up through bullshit but then he learned he had an 'in' to the world of being a professional piece of poo poo carnie instead of just an amateur one. And I don't think Vince Sr. was a king of industry or anything like that.

the wwwfs territory was the most profitable in the usa iirc. Vince also was able to use the profits the wwwf was making to pay vince sr instead of money he earned.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I wonder if WWE will be good and watchable if it gets sold. And I wonder if whoever buys it will figure out a better way to make all of the archives available so I can watch 90s WCW and ECW without all of the lovely overdubbing of themes.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

I wonder if WWE will be good and watchable if it gets sold. And I wonder if whoever buys it will figure out a better way to make all of the archives available so I can watch 90s WCW and ECW without all of the lovely overdubbing of themes.

I expect it’ll be good and watchable in the same way other gigantic entertainment corporations are good and watchable: a basic level of competency but mostly bland as hell. So… probably a lot better than it has been for years?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Disney would at least get it to the "it's fine, good but not great" level that all their stuff is at.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Would any of these buyers continue the Blood Money shows?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Majinfoose posted:

The money is very very good and doing business with the Saudis has been normalized to the point that nobody cares anymore (which of course was the point of all this).

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Majinfoose posted:

Liberty and Endeavor for sure. Liberty drew a line at running a race in Russia after they invaded Ukraine, but they run F1 races in Abu Dhabi, Qatar, and Saudia Arabia. Hell, they even held the grand prix in Saudia Arabia after rebels bombed the Aramco depot during the GP weekend.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

As Brandon Thurston has explained Vince being part of the sale means that he's looking for the UFC/Dana White deal where he doesn't own the company but has complete creative control.

There's truly only one thing that matters to Vince, not making money, not family, not enjoying life as a billionaire, but having complete creative control over a wrestling company.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

I guess depending on how lucrative territorial wrestling promotion was leading up to the 1970s. Which is something I sincerely don't know.
I was going to put Vince at a 7. He grew up through bullshit but then he learned he had an 'in' to the world of being a professional piece of poo poo carnie instead of just an amateur one. And I don't think Vince Sr. was a king of industry or anything like that.

For the promoters and the NWA which governed most of them, the territories were pretty damned lucrative indeed for most of the 1970s and the early 1980s. Keep in mind there were few if any TV channels that had a national "superstation"-level of reach, and tape trading wasn't a thing yet. If you wanted to watch wrestling you either went to the live shows when they came to your area or you watched whatever weekly show they had on whatever local TV station was airing it (some stations filmed the wrestling shows in the same studios they did the local news, etc.; MST3K's Kevin Murphy talked about how at the local Minnesota station MST3K originated from, as soon as the news was done they turned the camera around to the other side of the studio for the weekly wrestling show). It was lucrative enough that the big promotions would hold shows on actual holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas; after people got done eating and opening presents, they'd head out to go see Wrestling Star Wars or whatever it might be called.

The largest and most influential of all the territories was the Northeastern US region, and that was run by Vince Sr. Not only was it a very large region geographically in comparison to the other wrestling territories (some of which often just ran in a single state), but Vince Sr. also had exclusive rights to run wrestling shows in Madison Square Gardens, which was the premier sporting event facility in a lot of people's minds. He also had Andre the Giant locked down to an exclusive contract, and this was a very big deal because Andre was a huge draw throughout the 1970s. Vince Sr. often did deals with other promoters via Andre; they'd send a guy he was interested in up for a few weeks, and in return Vince would send Andre to their territory for a few weeks, which meant they were going to draw some big houses indeed. Vince Sr. was powerful enough that he could withdraw the WWWF from the NWA for a while and then quietly return without anything having really changed in the meantime.

So yeah, when Vince Jr. took over from his dad, he was taking over a promotion that was very profitable and powerful before he'd even got there.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vince Jr. didnt take over for his Dad. He took on a p big amount of debt because he had to buy it from his Vince Sr. He didn't inhereit it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

fez_machine posted:

As Brandon Thurston has explained Vince being part of the sale means that he's looking for the UFC/Dana White deal where he doesn't own the company but has complete creative control.

There's truly only one thing that matters to Vince, not making money, not family, not enjoying life as a billionaire, but having complete creative control over a wrestling company.

It stinks!

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Ganso Bomb posted:

It stinks!

That's WWE

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Vince Jr. didnt take over for his Dad. He took on a p big amount of debt because he had to buy it from his Vince Sr. He didn't inhereit it.

Good point, he only "took over" in the sense that he took over by buying the business from his dad.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Excited for Paul HHH Jr to go to the WWE Comcast Universal board in 30 years to say the company no longer shares Vince's vision.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Triple L had his chance to enact his vision and it stinks. Toss him in the bin. If whoever buys WWE isn’t going to utilize Vince’s genius for creative they should bring in a visionary like Zack Snyder

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Majinfoose posted:

It's free money.

Also there'd probably be a penalty for trying to get out of the contract early. Which I doubt any prospective buyers would be willing to eat.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Seems odd to call Vince the founder when his grandfather Jess & Toots Mondt were. He must've taken cues from Tesla.

It should've been obvious it was always going to end this way. Vince would rather burn down everything he has rather than give up control. In hindsight, I'm surprised he didn't refuse to step down after everything was exposed.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sock The Great posted:

I’m pretty sure the LIV is for the 54 holes played in a LIV golf tournament. In comparison PGA tournaments are 72 holes.

They named it after both for some reason

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Island Nation posted:

Seems odd to call Vince the founder when his grandfather Jess & Toots Mondt were. He must've taken cues from Tesla.

It should've been obvious it was always going to end this way. Vince would rather burn down everything he has rather than give up control. In hindsight, I'm surprised he didn't refuse to step down after everything was exposed.

well none of those guys owned WWE

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Heyman gave the best potted history of how Vince took over and got the company to where it is (shortly before getting choked out by Taz).

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Crazy that he was in the running with everyone else to buy the company off vince sr

When i saw that the company was up for sale to literally anyone on the planet, i thought about trying to buy it, but that wily businessman who just so happened to be the guy’s son made a better offer :(

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Crazy that he was in the running with everyone else to buy the company off vince sr

When i saw that the company was up for sale to literally anyone on the planet, i thought about trying to buy it, but that wily businessman who just so happened to be the guy’s son made a better offer :(

I know youre trying to be facetious but it really wasn't like a corporate handoff like youre thinking, Vince Jr. p much took a massive gamble going into debt to buy it and iirc Vince Sr. was p reluctant to sell it to him since it was betraying his longtime friends in the NWA.

Death of the Territories is a good read if you wanna know more.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

I know youre trying to be facetious but it really wasn't like a corporate handoff like youre thinking, Vince Jr. p much took a massive gamble going into debt to buy it and iirc Vince Sr. was p reluctant to sell it to him since it was betraying his longtime friends in the NWA.

Death of the Territories is a good read if you wanna know more.

It should also be noted that the deal was structured so that if Vince missed so much as a single payment on the loans he took out, control of the WWWF would revert back to Vince Sr. and his partners. As you say, Vince Sr. really did not want to sell the company to Vince Jr. because they'd already talked several times about Jr.'s ideas for taking the company to a national level, and Sr. shot the idea down every time it was brought up. Eventually Sr.'s health just got too bad for him to be able to handle running the company and that's ultimately why he decided to sell (he died a couple of years afterwards, IIRC).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

He got an absolute sweetheart deal. The terms of it were a joke compared to company revenue.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

He got an absolute sweetheart deal. The terms of it were a joke compared to company revenue.

how so? im not trying to be antagonistic im just genuinely curious about the history

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

how so? im not trying to be antagonistic im just genuinely curious about the history

The company was grossing ten times that per year. He paid $250,000 dollars down and made three more payments from what the company was bringing in.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The company was grossing ten times that per year. He paid $250,000 dollars down and made three more payments from what the company was bringing in.

Was that total or just for Vince Sr's shares? I thought it was around a million total and 500k for Vince Sr's shares.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

Was that total or just for Vince Sr's shares? I thought it was around a million total and 500k for Vince Sr's shares.

That was the total. $1,000,000.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So yeah, when Vince Jr. took over from his dad, he was taking over a promotion that was very profitable and powerful before he'd even got there.
On top of all of the MSG and Boston Garden and other regular shows, the last two Shea Stadium supercards Vince Sr. promoted in 1976 and 1980 each had over 30,000 tickets sold and (adjusted for inflation) gates around $2,000,000 apiece. I can't find ticket prices to compare Shea to MSG but they ran MSG on average about once a month and did in the neighborhood of 20,000+ tickets for each of those shows for decades.

Vince Jr. obviously built on this (adjusted for inflation, the first Wrestlemania did $3,000,000 (adjusted for inflation) in tickets) but yeah, trying to suggest WWWF was just your average regional territory with its owner enjoying a middle class lifestyle is pretty far off.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hikuleo and Tama Tonga's New Japan deals are up soon

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1611871243803951105?t=U_3H54CNw4ICvhAdrGh8sw&s=19

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
"At a later date, I'd be quite happy to sit here and tell you all things about Vince McMahon I'd like to tell you.. but.. now all I'm willing to say.. is that Vince McMahon was undoubtedly the hardest.. working man in sports entertainment.."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Not Hikuleo........

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Have fun squishing wee lads and having poo poo matches with other poo poo big guys like Omos, I guess.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Hikuleo and Tama Tonga's New Japan deals are up soon

Let’s try to guess their new WWE names. I’m thinking Leonard Bash and Cy Hardin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

WWE just won't stop until the NEVER title is theirs forever.