Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ah dang I just have a few hazy memories of that Dinero Frankenstein movie from being in the the room while it was on as a very small kid and I'd always sort of assumed it was a good, dramatic movie that I'd get around to one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Dinero Frankenstein

Brb, legally changing my name

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
Coppola's Dracula owns. I've loved it forever, but I saw it this past October in the cinema for the first time and it's great with an audience.
Some of the use of special effects are wildly original and weird and the soundtrack is wonderful.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Brb, legally changing my name

My phone told me that's how it was spelled and I didn't use any critical thinking :negative:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've come around on Deniro's performance over the years, I wasn't crazy about it at first. I started to appreciate how his gruff yet also perpetually confused Deniro persona is actually a really good fit for the character.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Bram Stoker's Dracula also has a great pinball table with magnets underneath for when he goes "Winds! Wiiiiiinds!" and pulls the ball.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jack B Nimble posted:

My phone told me that's how it was spelled and I didn't use any critical thinking :negative:

You coulda used some critical thinking, you could have even used mucho critical thinking.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

I force myself to wait until October every year to rewatch it. Otherwise yea I'd be watching it once a month and burning it out.

The problem is that I also do this with like 20 other movies so my Octobers are getting pretty tight!

In our household we fixed this by creating a Halloween In Between holiday called Ween that starts on November 1st and goes til December 24th during which we just watch horror movies.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Coppola's Stoker's Dracula is one of my favorite movies ever. I used to make fun of Winona and Keanu struggling to act through their accent and now it just all feels like it fits. That cast rules so much.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ah dang I just have a few hazy memories of that Dinero Frankenstein movie from being in the the room while it was on as a very small kid and I'd always sort of assumed it was a good, dramatic movie that I'd get around to one day.

I had the same thought until I sat down and watched it. There's some good in it but it's a mess overall.

Coppola's Dracula however is perfect and I love it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like Kenneth's Frankenstein okay but yeah it's just not in the same league

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh and if anyone never bothered to read Dracula, it's actually a great book

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

precision posted:

Oh and if anyone never bothered to read Dracula, it's actually a great book

And if you have bothered, try to get your hands on an English translation of the Icelandic version, which has a completely different plot because the original translator said gently caress it and made poo poo up.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Stayne Falls posted:

And if you have bothered, try to get your hands on an English translation of the Icelandic version, which has a completely different plot because the original translator said gently caress it and made poo poo up.

Oh God, is it like the Ghost Stories anime?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's more that he apparently based his adaptation on an early outline that involved a Sherlock Holmes-like detective. It spendspends like 80% of its length on Harker in the castle and then is like "anyway Dracula came to London and got killed the end."

edit also there's a fake "introduction by the author" that says the story is definitely true that it happened to a friend of his lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Stayne Falls posted:

lol

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Here's my post from the horror thread about Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula.

My pet theory is that everybody showed up on day one of shooting, heard Keanu's English accent, then had wildly different interpretations of what kind of movie they were making.

Winona Ryder: "Wait, we're doing accents? Nobody told me we're doing accents."
Anthony Hopkins: "Ah, I see we're doing ham then, very well"
Gary Oldham: "Is he doing the Nic Cage thing? I'M doing the Nic Cage thing!"
Cary Elwes: "Oh for gently caress's sakes."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently Gladiator 2 is no longer just a rumor, and will be directed by Ridley Scott and star Paul Mescal. He's playing the adult version of a child character from the first movie. This at least appears to not involve Russell Crowe.

https://www.ign.com/articles/gladiator-2-is-happening-casts-paul-mescal-as-lead

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I love that FFC's BS's D didn't just cast Winona because she was popular, she's the one that convinced Coppola to make it in the first place.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
One point made in this thread already:
- Brahm Stokers Dracula inspired possibly the single best pinball machine of all time (discounting pinball machines with 30 Rock actors).
One new point for the thread:
- Gladiator was the first movie I saw in theaters where the opening weekend print didn’t match the digital - all the establishing shots of Rome (the entire reason I was there opening weekend) were garbage in that print. Yes, it was a physical print, I checked, released in 2000.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Simplex posted:

My pet theory is that everybody showed up on day one of shooting, heard Keanu's English accent, then had wildly different interpretations of what kind of movie they were making.

Winona Ryder: "Wait, we're doing accents? Nobody told me we're doing accents."
Anthony Hopkins: "Ah, I see we're doing ham then, very well"
Gary Oldham: "Is he doing the Nic Cage thing? I'M doing the Nic Cage thing!"
Cary Elwes: "Oh for gently caress's sakes."

Tom Waits: "What movie?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently Gladiator 2 is no longer just a rumor, and will be directed by Ridley Scott and star Paul Mescal. He's playing the adult version of a child character from the first movie. This at least appears to not involve Russell Crowe.

Don’t care where’s my alien Prometheus 3

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just watched The Menu. Really enjoyed it. It wasn't at all what I was expecting it to be, and in a good way.

Though with John Leguizamo in it, really makes me want to re-watch Chef for a very different take on the genre.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Flying Zamboni posted:

Tom Waits: "What movie?"

"Oh, you were filming?"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Tom Waits's best role was in Mystery Men.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Jack B Nimble posted:

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was the first R rated movie I ever saw in a movie theater

I was 7

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FlamingLiberal posted:

WOW GUESS WE'LL GET THAT FOREVER war in like 30 minutes ridley time sry for yelling capslock on

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Make Nick Cave's Gladiator 2: Christ Killer you cowards

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Captain_Person posted:

Make Nick Cave's Gladiator 2: Christ Killer you cowards

I read that entire script and it was legitimately one of the most unhinged movie ideas i've ever seen.

I wish it had been made. It would've been incredible. The ending is just....wow.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Captain_Person posted:

Make Nick Cage's Gladiator 2: Christ Killer you cowards

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gonz posted:

I read that entire script and it was legitimately one of the most unhinged movie ideas i've ever seen.

I wish it had been made. It would've been incredible. The ending is just....wow.

can you break it down

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Tom Waits's best role was in Mystery Men.

:hmmyes:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Alan Smithee posted:

can you break it down

https://collider.com/gladiator-2-rejected-nick-cave-script/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CelticPredator posted:

Don’t care where’s my alien Prometheus 3
Disney has really not given two shits about the Alien IP since they bought it

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Xenomorph in Dreamlight Valley when??

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FlamingLiberal posted:

Disney has really not given two shits about the Alien IP since they bought it

Well they’re making a new movie and tv show. But I want Michael fassbender loving up humanity

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CelticPredator posted:

Well they’re making a new movie and tv show. But I want Michael fassbender loving up humanity

Same. Ideally as a direct sequel to Covenant. Just David crashing into earth with a ship full of horrors.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I watched prometheus without any knowledge it had anything to do with alien and it ruled

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The only bad thing about Dracula is that it is impossible to believe Dracula is out chasing after any other woman when he has 90's era Monica Belluci in his castle already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse

Tars Tarkas posted:

I'll have a new thread and OP by end of week, should be able to get to it when I am back at work.

So, it's almost the end of the week, where's the new thread?