Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grittybeard posted:

These people are going to have a big problem with Shakespeare's career.

Not to mention the vast majority of productions of Peter Pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

CannonFodder posted:

You are looking at an intense waste of money.

lol I figured out that much.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don’t know how any of that could be constitutional. How do you defined gendered clothes? A woman can’t wear pants? If a boy wears pink it’s illegal? God I hate these fuckers.

It's not, but this reads like they're hoping that this will make its way up to the Supreme Court so that those fuckers can rule on it. Whether it's in Arizona or somewhere else, it's the same playbook they used with abortion

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Skwirl posted:

Not to mention the vast majority of productions of Peter Pan.

Or Mrs. Doubtfire.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1611521943152238592?t=W_VcFAac9MR3SLaIi5hy9w&s=19

Because there were a lot more girls than boys into acting at my schools, pretty much every single school play I ever saw had a girl in a prominent male role.

Luckily for the next four years it's all performative bullshit because we have a D governor.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I don’t know how any of that could be constitutional. How do you defined gendered clothes? A woman can’t wear pants? If a boy wears pink it’s illegal? God I hate these fuckers.
Oh, and how can someone be forced to end their transition or de-transition? Or be forced to transition back? WTF?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that law quoted in the first image is specifically about stage shows, not people on the street. Obviously it's still dumb as gently caress, probably not enforceable, and won't go into law - and that last bit means everything in it is performative, at least for now

but yeah it clearly says this is for a show/performance for entertainment, for an audience

the law text quoted in the second image says you can't use federal or state money for (what it calls) a drag show that has minors in attendance, it doesn't say you can't have one at all, or even that you can't use federal money for an adults-only show

the third one actually is what erin reed's summary says it is

e. I want to be 100% clear it's still outrageous and stupid, I'm just, again, kinda tired of tweets that "summarize" something and omit key qualifiers or just outright get it wrong, however well-intentioned. I'm glad Erin Reed is drawing attention to this anyway.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It’s wild how much time and energy these loving assholes spend trying to criminalize drag shows.

Like literally do anything else and shut the gently caress up. So tiresome.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They don't care about the drag shows, they want it to be even harsher to be trans so more of them kill themselves

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Done moving. Nothing is beautiful and everything hurts.

Now to unpack :shepicide:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A set of polaroids from the costuming of Hackers dropped if you want to see some true drip

https://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/gallery/29260/0/bts-polaroids-from-the-set-of-hackers

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Kalli posted:

They don't care about the drag shows, they want it to be even harsher to be trans so more of them kill themselves

Oh I know but they’ve been going apeshit over drag story hours and shows for years now.

I think we all know their motivation.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Freaquency posted:

Done moving. Nothing is beautiful and everything hurts.

Now to unpack :shepicide:

When I moved into this house I had closed at dinnertime and had to turn in my apartment keys the following morning. And it was December. I lost all energy for like a week I was so drat exhausted from that cold, frantic move. Congrats on getting it done.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm 226 at last weigh-in, I'm 5'5", and my goal is 190 to start. Honestly I just want to break 200 first.
Always good to have a solid goal when you start.

Anecdotally, I dropped from 274 to 209 in ~7 months of the keto diet. First three months were strict as hell, zero sugar/sugars, eyes on the prize, no beer/liquor*, weigh ins every other day, etc. Was in a "competition" with my Dad as we were both losing weight for my brother's wedding. Found out 3.5 months in that pops was cheating a couple times a week, so I checked our charts and he was still losing at 90-95% of what I was losing, so what the hell. Cheated a bit in month 5, more in month 6, and I feel to this day that I could have broken 200 if I hadn't cheated. For the record, I graduated high school at ~190 pounds and was really shooting for breaking 200. I didn't, in the end it didn't matter, and I'm at 233 as of this morning. Learned better habits toward nutrition and personal health, which I feel was better than losing the weight. You can do this.

*The beer/liquor one was the worst, I wasn't in recovery yet and staying off the booze was much harder than not eating bread.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Kalli posted:

I know a drag queen, I don't care about drag queen shows, but I don't think that kind of performative behavior is age-appropriate for young kids. That's all it amounts to. I wouldn't be so quick to ascribe evil motives to all of the opposition. That's no better than those who're calling the queens groomers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LLCoolJD posted:

I know a drag queen, I don't care about drag queen shows, but I don't think that kind of performative behavior is age-appropriate for young kids. That's all it amounts to. I wouldn't be so quick to ascribe evil motives to all of the opposition. That's no better than those who're calling the queens groomers.

Drag queen story hour has nothing to do with sex. It’s more akin to a clown reading to kids than anything relating to sex. They’re not showing up in their skimpiest drag show outfit. They’re dressed appropriately for the audience. That you think they’re stripping or doing something inappropriate tells me you’ve never been to one of these readings, and that the right wing propaganda is working to poison the minds of anyone else who isn’t aware of what’s going on.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Feels wrong to relate them to clowns imo (not offensive that was the wrong word choice)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Amy Pole Her posted:

Offensive to relate them to clowns imo

That was actually a metaphor someone else used that I felt was appropriate. Big flashy makeup and big bright clothes along with over the top personality and such.

It’s a very similar type of performance when it comes to drag story hour.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Probably better for kids to watch Monty Python growing up like I did.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Probably better to just leave kids alone instead of using them as a political football for dumb causes.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
But won't somebody think of the children?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BlindSite posted:

Probably better to just leave kids alone instead of using them as a political football for dumb causes.

It’s not using kids as political football. It’s just people reading stories to children while dressed up. Some of the drag performers are trans and are just wearing a little more flair/makeup than their day to day wear.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Feels wrong to relate them to clowns imo (not offensive that was the wrong word choice)

To me, clowns aren’t funny.
In fact, they’re kind of scary.
I’ve wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.

But no, of course I don't think they do any of the things the poster up above mentioned. Otherwise there wouldn't even be a discussion about it. There's something deliberately shocking and subversive about it that I think can wait until the kids don't believe in the tooth fairy anymore.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

What is shocking or subversive about someone reading books to kids?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Would anyone care if Dolly Parton read books to kids? She's got big hair and wears a lot of make up and wears flashy clothes. No, because she's a woman who was born a woman who presents as a woman. Drag queens are only shocking and subversive if you're homophobic or transphobic, in my opinion.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

LLCoolJD posted:

This wouldn't strike me as immensely malicious or imbecilic if Hooters didn't have a loving kids menu. Don't be either please.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don’t want to call other posters transphobic or homophobic, because I don’t know them, and I don’t think that’s the case. I think people are just not exposed to what things actually are and fill in the blanks with the worst because the hateful pervasive propaganda is everywhere.

I do like the Dolly Parton example and will use that in the future as well, though, braks! Thanks :)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

That's fair. It's sort of my go-to to think the worst of people. I'm working on me.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

This wouldn't strike me as immensely malicious or imbecilic if Hooters didn't have a loving kids menu. Don't be either please.

It wouldn't shock me if people wouldn't take their kids to hooters and I wouldn't immediately assume they had a phobia of boobs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Braksgirl posted:

That's fair. It's sort of my go-to to think the worst of people. I'm working on me.

S’all good! It’s an easy reaction to have!

BlindSite posted:

It wouldn't shock me if people wouldn't take their kids to hooters and I wouldn't immediately assume they had a phobia of boobs.

You’re right! It isn’t a bad thing to not take their kids to hooters. I don’t think anyone would have a problem with Dolly Parton reading books to kids, though. I think that’s a better comparison than hooters.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Made white chicken chili early for dinner tomorrow.

After the first picture I added more stock, may add even more tomorrow when reheating it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

LLCoolJD posted:

What the gently caress! A terrible post with a tremendous closing sentence.

gently caress you!!!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

This is pretty much the problem here. A lot of people can’t really disassociate drag shows from sex. So to them, all things drag is about sex, and obviously why are we exposing kids to that? The fact that it’s not actually about sex doesn’t cross their mind. We have to break through that barrier.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Any way, I watched The Menu and I thought it was fantastic. Best comedy I’ve seen in ages.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Any way, I watched The Menu and I thought it was fantastic. Best comedy I’ve seen in ages.

Yeah I watched it Friday and loved every second of it. Such a cool little movie.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I did union lobbying training today and now I have the tools to try and more effectively yell at state legislators about effective funding and policy. I also got about 2 hours of sleep so I just woke up from a nap after I got home around 4 and now I'm thinking about making a vegan almond cake or just having ceral for dinner.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BlindSite posted:

The point is, Drag Queen events aren't something anyone stumbles onto organically. Anyone so scandalized by the idea of something not being age-appropriate would've had 10,000 far more significant instances before ever stumbling onto one. Therefore, anyone on this is either a bigot or an imbecile who absorbs right wing media and I have no interest in entertaining that it could possibly be informed or in good faith.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The little recipe cutaways had me rolling.

I just saw it in the theatre with a buddy yesterday on a whim, and I'm glad I did.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LLCoolJD posted:

There has been no kids that have ever been molested at a drag queen story hour. We've been entertained by drag from a young age, it's all about the act. Bugs Bunny constantly did drag in Looney Tunes cartoons, one of the greatest comedies of all time is spent with 3/4ths of the leads in drag. Shakespeare did all of his plays with actors playing women in drag. Kids aren't thinking of it as a sexual thing, it's a performance thing.

Are there adult drag shows? Sure. I've been to one, but I had to show my ID just like any other age restricted event.

Kalli posted:

Look, I'm trying to kill Hooters as fast as I can.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

The point is, Drag Queen events aren't something anyone stumbles onto organically. Anyone so scandalized by the idea of something not being age-appropriate would've had 10,000 far more significant instances before ever stumbling onto one. Therefore, anyone on this is either a bigot or an imbecile who absorbs right wing media and I have no interest in entertaining that it could possibly be informed or in good faith.

Nah, you're conflating someone saying this ain't my bag with hatred and bigotry and forcing what he said to fit your opinion.

Talk about bad faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
oh hey the new Trigun comes out and now I have the "do I sign up for Crunchyroll to watch this when I didn't even do it for the new Gundam?" dilemma.