Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's also okay to not like a video game. That's why they make different ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I spent hours on that plateau because I was enjoying it so much

You have the option to complete it quickly or savour it but you seem to have invented a third option which is to go slowly and hate it and I don't know why you would do that

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's ok to be bad at video games. :)

its ok but its even better to improve at them

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
plateau and eventide were the best parts of the game

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

wizard2 posted:

it just never clicked even going into it with a totally open mind. Im certain Im missing a perspective , I didnt mean to cause offense

Don't worry, you didn't. Goons are just gonna goon. Some time ago I posted "I don't like the combat system in XBC2 that much, the battles take too long for my taste" in the RPG-thread and at least three goons came at me with takes like "you just don't understand this awesome system" and "you need to watch a guide while playing". Just roll your eyes at dumb comments and continue posting, is my suggestion. :v:

But Breath of the Wild is the best game of all time, especially weapon durability is an amazing idea I wish more games would use.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 8, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
xbc2 pwns. though i still dont quite like the combat system, or MMO combat generally

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

I haven't replayed tp but I liked the ball and chain

I agree, Zelda’s design was awesome :D

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Zing!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

When did society do a 180 on Twilight Princess? I felt like I was crazy when it was released because it was so souless and stale, but everyone everywhere seemed to think it was the greatest game of all time.

you are crazy

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's also okay to not like a video game.

Unless it's A Short Hike,

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

alright, yea, so it seems like trying to play all the zelda titles chronologically was a foolish idea. thanks.

are the major releases:

zelda i
lttp
link's awakening
ocarina
majora's mask
twilight princess
windwaker
botw

?

am i missing any?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

"Please never look up Twilight Princess Fan art" -Iwata

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Upsidads posted:

"Please never look up Twilight Princess Fan art" -Iwata

Hey you found my DeviantArt

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

lmfao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRkE_Gv6ALM

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

abelwingnut posted:

alright, yea, so it seems like trying to play all the zelda titles chronologically was a foolish idea. thanks.

are the major releases:

zelda i
lttp
link's awakening
ocarina
majora's mask
twilight princess
windwaker
botw

?

am i missing any?

You’re missing Zelda 2 and Skyward Sword

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

abelwingnut posted:

are the major releases:

zelda i
lttp
link's awakening
ocarina
majora's mask
twilight princess
windwaker
botw

?

am i missing any?

Where the Oracle games at? Sure they were made by Capcom but they count as "major releases" if Link's Awakening does. (Here's hoping they get the same treatment that LA did on the Switch...)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its ok but its even better to improve at them

It actually doesn't matter at all! I still like to default to hard on a lot of games but am more than happy to lower the difficulty as soon as I am even slightly inconvenienced. The first boss in tales of vesperia was a weird spike and I didn't feel it figuring it out, lowered that poo poo to easy to crush it in 5 seconds and move on w the game

These are digital toys not online courses/certifications! That said, some games are really not fun at all if they're too easy, but it's okay to suck and anybody who says otherwise is probably extremely unchill IRL

Speaking of, being able to reverse turns in modern fire emblem games is probably one of the best quality of life features added to the franchise. I remember having to restart missions because I lost a unit, literally repeating hour long campaigns because of one stupid RNG error. Yucky

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's not OK to be bad at video games, and if you are, I am going to come after you with a machine gun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bug Squash posted:

When did society do a 180 on Twilight Princess? I felt like I was crazy when it was released because it was so souless and stale, but everyone everywhere seemed to think it was the greatest game of all time.

The only person I know irl that liked twilight princess had never played the 64 games and said they were "old and boring"

Edit: Zelda 2 is probably my second favorite after MM even though I'm a baddie who never finished it. It was going for something real different and ambitious. If it had a decent translation it probably would have been better

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

when’s the new Mario kart tracks out

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Idk they just did some a few weeks ago so probably not until March or something.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Started FFX for the first time. Just played first game of Bltizball. What an awful thing that is. It seemed like the only button I could use was the X to try to swap between manual controls and automatic ones. It seemed no matter where I was I couldn't trigger it into letting me shoot/pass and that option only ever came up when the Goers players were on me and so Id never have a chance to score outside of the Jecht score. Painful garbage that even lasted through overtime. I will happily never have Wakkas best weapons to never touch that thing again.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Len posted:

The only person I know irl that liked twilight princess had never played the 64 games and said they were "old and boring"

Yeah I don't think anybody considered it a bad game but it didn't generate the same waves that earlier entries had. Anecdotal but for the few people who I knew that played it, nobody ever talked about it again after that initial play through

I think the weird GameCube/ Wii split didn't help matters, and a lot of my more hardcore gamer friends were focused on other consoles during this era

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

abelwingnut posted:

are the major releases:

zelda i
lttp
link's awakening
ocarina
majora's mask
twilight princess
windwaker
botw

?

am i missing any?

Along with the oracle games, the other handheld ones you're missing: minish cap, phantom hourglass, and spirit tracks. I believe all of them are available on wiiu through the eshop...which, reminder people! Eshop dies this year!!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Has there been a romhack that fixes the terrible translation for Zelda 2? There has to be, right?

There are multiple full retranslations of ff6, and outside of a couple of names being off the original was a masterpiece

rox
Sep 7, 2016

every forgetting abt link between worlds...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sad Panda posted:

Started FFX for the first time. Just played first game of Bltizball. What an awful thing that is. It seemed like the only button I could use was the X to try to swap between manual controls and automatic ones. It seemed no matter where I was I couldn't trigger it into letting me shoot/pass and that option only ever came up when the Goers players were on me and so Id never have a chance to score outside of the Jecht score. Painful garbage that even lasted through overtime. I will happily never have Wakkas best weapons to never touch that thing again.
Blitzball is bad, but also it sounds like you were doing it wrong

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Oh poo poo yeah, link between worlds is in all seriousness one of the best of the series, an absolute must play. It breaks some of the fundamental rules of the series (in a really good way), and would best be played after going through most of the other games imo. But yeah definitely put it on the list, it's a can't-miss entry

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's also okay to not like a video game. That's why they make different ones.

I'm glad I'm not a gamer

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Twilight Princess memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE2Dc1sx71U

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm glad I'm not a gamer

Boring game op

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sad Panda posted:

skill issue lol

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm glad I'm not a gamer

If you’re in a coma you would be involuntarily missing out on it. Boy, I sure hope someone was fired for that blunder.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sad Panda posted:

Yeah, Aurochs are last in the league

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I really missed out by never getting a 3DS

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You absolutely did.

eBay is wild lately but you could still probably find one with a little bit of effort via local swap meets or Facebook marketplace or whatever. There's so many of the drat things out there in existence you really don't have any excuse for not owning one.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Libluini posted:

Don't worry, you didn't. Goons are just gonna goon. Some time ago I posted "I don't like thee combat system in XBC2 that much, the battles take too long for my taste" in the RPG-thread and at least three goons came at me with takes like "you just don't understand this awesome system" and "you need to watch a guide while playing". Just roll your eyes at dumb comments and continue posting, is my suggestion. :v:

But Breath of the Wild is the best game of all time, especially weapon durability is an amazing idea I wish more games would use.

It’s because you posted a full page of dumb ranting op, not because XC2 is a sacred cow

Libluini posted:

Post-Christmas Rage: The Chronicles of an Idiot Playing Dumb Games

OK, since I got a cold over Christmas, I spend a lot of time in bed. Which means I managed to continue Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and finally complete chapter 7!

But now that I have spend 99+ hours on this train wreck, I'm fairly sure the moment I've finished the main story, I'll drop kick this cartridge straight back into my shelf, never to be seen or touched ever again.

This game is a really odd mix of stuff that's really fun and really infuriating. It's certainly an experience, I'll give it that.

The story restored itself to be interesting, and the enemies continue to be annoying jackasses. This is the first JRPG were I'm hoping some new enemy will show up at the last minute and punt Molasses or whatever he's called into oblivion. I don't even want to fight him anymore, every time he shows up mugging at us like the world's worst vaudevillian, I'm already silently despairing because it means we won't get a good boss. :(

But enough ranting about the game's annoying gimmick of taking your hands of your controller so you can watch the dev's favorite characters mugging at the screen for half an hour, by now the gameplay has seriously worked hard to keep up its own share of stupid: I was well aware after the first fight in the game, that this was one of those games. You know, the ones were the devs were obviously a little bit too much in love with their combat system, and would do anything in their power to make you appreciate it, or else

Sadly, after 8+ chapters, the "every little bunny is a big boss"-type of gameplay is a tired and played-out concept. It's by now something like 3-4 story chapters that I even attempted to play the game like I was supposed to, instead of going off rails and over-leveling on side content so I could rush through the main story gameplay as fast as possible.

Now this has caught up with me: I avoided fights in chapters 7 and 8 so hard, the enemy levels eventually caught up with me, and now the devs have finally realized how annoying players will find their dumb combat system, and they are mad as heck

Without spoling too much from the story, the main enemy in chapter 8 so far is what I call the Timewastians: Enemies that seem to be tailore-made to waste your time and teach you a lesson about how awesome the game is.

To pull back a little, sometimes I can respect a sadistic developer playing pranks on the player, like that one bossfight in chapter 7, were Captain Mole Arse first blows a huge hole into the ground, and then later sometimes triest to walk down there, causing your dumb AI-controlled party members to follow him down. And then the game spawns a beefy group of standard enemies and you have approx. 2 nano-seconds to focus them down before the accumulated damage of Molion's mega-move in such a tiny space and multiple angry animals gnawing at you overwhelms all you rhealing and you die.

It's the kind of trap that you can appreciate as a nice little joke, especially since after you fall for it the first time, you try again and then stay the hell away from the trap (and then of course I won easily, fancy that).

The Timewasitans however, are clearly made by angry people who suddenly realized everyone will hate their dumb gimmick of beating up standard enemies for hours. A Timwastian is an ugly piece of poo poo, looks like a walking lump of flesh/rock with some crystalls stuck inside them, and all about them is aggravating to the player:

-They're ugly, so you don't want to look at them
-They have lots of HP, so you will look at them, for a good, long, while
-The game loves to put a lot of them straight were the party has to go through
-They have a special attack, that almost always triggers if you just walk past them, which will grab your party leader and jank them back a good, long chunk. It's literally a "don't run away, let's fight"-attack!

So of course I still ignored the hell out of those bastards. And a lot of the time, I had to watch my party leader getting hit by invisible strikes a trillion miles from the enemies behind him, and then sail back like a dead, flopping fish like I was suddenly playing a game parodying this kind of bullshit.

Oh, and Timewastians also have a super-move that sacrifices a lot of HP for a really massive AOE-attack. And if you "accidentally" run into the special unique Timewastian the devs put straight into the tiny staircase you have to climb up to continue the story, that attack is strong enough to just TPK all of you if you dare to show up level-appropriate here. The boss of the Timewastians then has more HP as the Sun, the Moon and all of the Stars put together and of course can use this super-move, too! Just in this case, if you have the same level as the boss, none of your characters have enough HP to survive.

I was kind of surprised to see my party get wiped from full health to zero, but that was mostly because a little bit of good story, and a boss that wasn't from Molari's Clown Range of Bad Guys, had me lured into thinking the devs were actually good, and not totally inept. Whoops, I guess!

Oh by the way, Timewastians can regenerate, too. So while you're slowly getting mad at how much time this wastes, you see their health slowly trickling back up, making you even madder. It's an enemy solely designed to waste the players time. An enemy, that only exists so the player doesn't notice that the game is slowly running out of story to tell and doesn't want you getting to the end yet. It's loving tiresome and I thought better of Xenonion Blades 2 - Too Much Crap.

Anyway, XBC2 is certainly a game. This is the first time a game I genuinely likes also gives me rage headaches (that is yes, sometimes the game does something so stupid, I'm getting real headaches from it and have to stop)

That said, I've heard heard complaints that the combat in XBC3 is too easy, and too fast. Like, if that's true, I'll think I'll enjoy it a lot more than Rex' bat-poo poo adventures.

Like, XBC2 what is going on here? Why do you ask me which name I prefer to name Mythra when talking to Mythra? That's pointless and rude. Even with split personalities, it's kind of dumb even contemplating going up to a woman's face and saying "I like your other personality more, I'll now refuse to use your name from now on".

Are there really people so separate from real life that they consider this to be a real option? Like, is there a separate alternative way to get there where you're talking to Pyra and get the same question? I don't know, I had a lot of time to think about this game's oddities when fighting enemies. Seriously, as long as a big enemy doesn't pull out it's special "pay attention, fucker"-move, you can just go and get yourself a drink. The enemy will still be alive and well after you get back.

There's just something conceptually wrong with a combat system that's so strangely balanced that you don't even need a pause mode- going away and letting the game play itself is the same, as auto-attacks and your AI-controlled NPCs won't be getting very far.

I get it, the devs wanted the player to have awesome Anime-fights. And at some point during development, they realized their perfectly normal enemies would die too fast, player would never get to use their super moves. At that point I think things went wrong: Instead of retooling the combat system so you can get to your awesome Anime fights faster, they just put a 10x HP-mod in front of every enemy and called it a day. If I were in a nicer mood, I'd say that this is just because of an incoming dead line, the effect of crunch. But then there are the obvious grudge enemies like the Timewastians, who only exists to punish players who have been drained into exhaustion by 99+ hours of constant Anime fighting at this point.

Ironically, I don't need any spoilers for this part because all of the good things are in the parts I would have needed to spoiler. But this is an angry rant about the stuff I hated, so just consider everything you like about XBC2 and not showing up in this post to be good enough I also liked it.

Edit:

Wait, there's some gameplay-stuff I want to mention, but this time I need actual spoilers:

After reaching the land of Timewastia in chapter 8, you unlock the ability to give Rex all the blades from other characters, which had me go ??? after a while. At first I thought, nice I can use foreing blade skills to unlock stuff! But then later we re-unite with the other characters again and now this power seems pointless.

I mean, thanks to the mercinary system everyone already has tons of blades with tons of different skills, and every character, including Rex, can only carry up to 3 blades anyway. And most skill checks demand different enough skills its almost impossible to get the exact correct skills onto a single character. So this power mostly doesn't matter.

If I'm together with the rest of the party, this power is super-pointless and even counter-productive, as I've noticed when the game put me into a boss-fight with the exaxt two characters I stole blades from to test this new mechanic out. This made it feel like this power only exists to lure the player into another grudge trap by the devs, very weird.

Also hopefully you never used one of the rare items to move a rare blade to Rex, because now that feels like another potential trap! Well, it would if this mechanic didn't came in chapter 8 of 9, so I don't really care. There's not really a point to this mechanic, and like the combat system, I will try my hardest to avoid it.

Another thing I wanted to put into spoilers, as a treat for everyone crazy enough to keep on reading up to this point: Poppi can get insta-kill powers for generic beasts. The big lvl. 90 Dinos, like you can find in Temperantia, are classified by the game as "beasts". Do the math. What I'm now doing before going back to Timewastania and continuing the story, is short-cutting a lot of bullshit by upgrading Poppi, and then taking that funny little 5% insta-kill chance and let ourselves be beaten up by Dinos until the skill procs. I'm planning on using my scorn and contempt for XBC2's combat system to fuel me until I have something like lvl. 80 at least, then breeze through as much as I can before I need to kill Dinos again. Because gently caress playing the dev's game.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. Now excuse me, I need another drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
not reading that