Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
he was -3 in a 3-2 loss and he played almost half the game I love how they have built that team I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You should be thanking the Sabres for Ullmark, all things considered! I hope he stays healthy, he deserves nice things.

Obviously no one knew Ullmark was going to be this good, but between looking at his numbers on some of those Sabres teams he played for and the old fashioned eye test, it did seem like he was arguably the best goalie in their system in recent years. I wonder why they let him walk.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

T-Bone posted:

Obviously you need to see it over multiple seasons and he's gotta stay healthy and yadda yadda but he's been a top 10 player (honestly closer to top 5) in the NHL this year. Maybe the Devils did actually get the #1 in a good lottery.

It's crazy how much better his reads and decision making are, although I think a lot of it is just physical maturity. He's not McDavid because no one is, but his skating is so for above the rest of the league that he just creates chances out of nothing.

e: made me want to put together yet another hypothetical :911:

Robertson-Matthews-M.Tkachuk
Connor-J.Hughes-Guentzel
Gaudreau-Tage-Tuch
B.Tkachuk-Eichel-Pavelski
Larkin/DeBrincat

Slavin-Fox
Q.Hughes-McAvoy
K.Miller-Carlson
Sanderson

Hellebuyck
Oettinger
Knight

Next up F: Kreider/Keller/Zegras/Miller/Nelson/Beniers/P.Kane/Oshie

Next up D: Pesce/Trouba/Faulk/Hanifin/Werenski

Next up G: Gibson/Swayman/Demko

Maybe you move Tage or Jack to wing to get Eichel up in the lineup. But anyway that's gotta be the best US forward group ever by a huge margin, without looking I assume Canada's would still be better, but probably it's closer than it has ever been

So here's my :canada:

MacKinnon-McDavid-Marner
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Barzal-Stamkos-Point
Dubois-Tavares-Stone
Giroux/Scheifele

Pietrangelo-Makar
Theodore-Hamilton
Morrissey-Pelech
Ekblad

Kuemper
Jarry
Thompson

Won't do a next up because there's a billion Canadian forwards who could end up in those last 3-4 spots on F especially but there you go.

That's...really close. I like Canada's D more, the US goaltending is better, and the forward groups are as close as they've ever been, it's almost a pick em' there. Canada's forwards are old though comparatively, drat. Good thing they've got Bedard/Celebrini/Fantilli/Misa on the way.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mcqueen posted:

What are the Kraken going to do with two not great goalies going forward? Asking as a new fan, is this normal?

The question actually is what are they gonna do with three once Drieger is healthy (possibly quite soon).

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

That's...really close. I like Canada's D more, the US goaltending is better, and the forward groups are as close as they've ever been, it's almost a pick em' there. Canada's forwards are old though comparatively, drat. Good thing they've got Bedard/Celebrini/Fantilli/Misa on the way.

I think I actually like the American defense better, by just a smidge.

One interesting thing about that US roster is that a lot of those guys have played together, and won a lot, in international tournaments for quite a while. From like 2015-2017 there was that cohort of the USNTDP that did very well against their peer competition, and a lot of those guys would be on the hypothetical US roster now. If you take a look at the WJC rosters from those years it's kind of amazing. Might be the best age group of US talent ever.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Obviously no one knew Ullmark was going to be this good, but between looking at his numbers on some of those Sabres teams he played for and the old fashioned eye test, it did seem like he was arguably the best goalie in their system in recent years. I wonder why they let him walk.

I am not sure why, but did the Bruins know they had a goalie this good? I thought Swayman was headed into the season as their number one? Or was it always going to be shared duties?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's just goalie voodoo and it will end in tears like goalie voodoo always does

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Ullmark had stats of “backup at best” before the Bruins signed him and at the time a 4 year contract at whatever they paid him seemed like a huge overpay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I am not sure why, but did the Bruins know they had a goalie this good? I thought Swayman was headed into the season as their number one? Or was it always going to be shared duties?

Last season, they started off getting roughly even starts but Ullmark played his way into the starter position.

Ullmark is making $5mil so they definitely didn't just sign him to be a backup though. They must have seen something in him because that was nearly double his previous contract with the Sabres.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's just goalie voodoo and it will end in tears like goalie voodoo always does

Also, this. You can only depend on one or two goalies, and even then, things can vary wildly.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They didn’t, he chose to walk. It’s most Jason Botteril’s fault for signing guys like Ullmark and Reinhart to bridge contracts instead of locking them up long term. That’s part of why Kevyn is a great GM, he knows who his core guys are and made sure they would be sticking around.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah Ullmark had stats of “backup at best” before the Bruins signed him and at the time a 4 year contract at whatever they paid him seemed like a huge overpay.

Backup at best stats on a team playing Rasmus Ristolainen as a #1 dman should have been extrapolatable for the average fan/GM

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Backup at best stats on a team playing Rasmus Ristolainen as a #1 dman should have been extrapolatable for the average fan/GM

God I already have PTSD from Risto this is a good point.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Bruins felt, and probably still feel, like Swayman is the goalie of the future. Ullmark was brought in to split starts with Swayman because Rask was going to retire and running Swayman/Vladar wasn't a realistic option. I think based on Ullmark's performance in Buffalo they thought he'd be better behind Boston's defense, but probably still only a 50% of the games kind of goalie. That's pretty much what happened the first season, but this year Swayman has struggled a bit (although he's still playing ok for a 24 year old) and Ullmark has shown he's definite starter material and having a Vezina caliber year.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They didn’t, he chose to walk. It’s most Jason Botteril’s fault for signing guys like Ullmark and Reinhart to bridge contracts instead of locking them up long term. That’s part of why Kevyn is a great GM, he knows who his core guys are and made sure they would be sticking around.

That makes sense. Obviously he's living up to the contract he got, and more, but I can see why Buffalo would balk at what he got based on his body of work.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ullmark, Risto, Reinhart and Eichel were a part of the org when it was a toxic environment. They basically couldn’t stay because the org was so lovely that it pushed them out. Kevyn Adams talked a lot early on about having players who loved Buffalo and wanted to be a part of the team, which sounded stupid at first but that was key to building the current culture they’ve finally developed. It helps that he embraced analytics, drafted really well and hired the right coach so the team is playing well and has a good pipeline.

The only guys left from the Eichel era are guys who still really wanted to be a Sabre, like Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Okposo and Girgensens. Skinner was a trade obv and he wasn’t going anywhere with that contract. Everybody else has bought in hard and this team finally has a strong foundation. It’s a good time to be a Sabres fan, finally!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I like that "being outside of the playoffs, but only by a little bit" qualifies as a good time to be a Sabres fan. I guess after that 15 win season the other year it's a huge improvement though.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I like that "being outside of the playoffs, but only by a little bit" qualifies as a good time to be a Sabres fan. I guess after that 15 win season the other year it's a huge improvement though.

It's also the "number one offense in the league and really fun to watch" thing

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They scored six goals in one period earlier this season, four of which were from Tage. They are insane and I love every second of it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mantha’s gonna get traded. Who wants him? Where should he go?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

St. Louis for a Tarasenko rental

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

A 28 year old making $5.7M with another year on his contract? Unless Washington’s willing to retain salary or spend futures in a cap dump it’s gonna be real hard to find a team that can swallow that.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's weird that Mantha hasn't worked out in Washington. Idk if it's depth problems or what but he's been so underwhelming, and he was pretty good in Detroit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Koopa Kid posted:

A 28 year old making $5.7M with another year on his contract? Unless Washington’s willing to retain salary or spend futures in a cap dump it’s gonna be real hard to find a team that can swallow that.

The extra year's the killer, otherwise he'd make a nifty matching salary in a vet rental.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Mcqueen posted:

What are the Kraken going to do with two not great goalies going forward? Asking as a new fan, is this normal?

not having good goal tending is an essential part of the NHL fan experience, unless you are one of like 3-4 lucky franchises

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This happens so often I can't even be bothered to get annoyed anymore. Just a bunch of pathetic losers top to bottom.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In case you missed it, Dahlin scored a “controller disconnected” goal last night. He had 2g3a5p last night lol

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1611896640427937794?s=46&t=crKxgxwnpcokAr9Z7FX1fQ

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's weird that Mantha hasn't worked out in Washington. Idk if it's depth problems or what but he's been so underwhelming, and he was pretty good in Detroit.

He's had every opportunity, dude just coasts most of the time.

There was a glimmer of something in the playoffs when he got some snarl in his game and started throwing his big rear end around. Unfortunately the chance to show something was brief.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/alex_daddese/status/1612212943873081351?t=86gpiyJ7kes-WfnQc-9pDA&s=19

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
How management doesn’t see stuff like that and immediately make moves to at least change the culture of the team boggles my mind.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

How management doesn’t see stuff like that and immediately make moves to at least change the culture of the team boggles my mind.

He's not gonna re-sign. I fully expect him to ask out this summer.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Luckily the Canucks should get a good player when they pick 9th overall

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Luckily the Canucks should get a good player when they pick 9th overall

i know this is tongue in cheek but occassionally a really good player falls to 9th like ehlers in 2014

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

e: wrong thread but Pens powerplay still awful, that's the news

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Call Your Grandma posted:

i know this is tongue in cheek but occassionally a really good player falls to 9th like ehlers in 2014

my comment was less about players who go 9th overall and more about the Canucks being this bad and still not picking in the top 3.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Canucks will win the lottery and pick Connor Bedard 1st overall.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I have faith that Vancouver will gently caress up the draft no matter where they pick. They could probably gently caress up first overall, somehow.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I thought it was a joke about Bo Horvat

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

(it was a joke about jake virtanen)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/WHLsilvertips/status/1612275663926628353

Just to remind everyone how stupid the chl is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The guy who just scored the OT winner for Canada at the World Juniors was the 9th overall back in 2021! Fortunately, the Canucks had nothing to do with that pick at any point.