Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I once listened to a Frakes commentary where he explained that to get a shot of an actor sitting in a car they used a camera to film through the window.

Clearly he should stick to explaining non film related concepts:

https://youtu.be/ToEiHXS2CmY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I once listened to a Frakes commentary where he explained that to get a shot of an actor sitting in a car they used a camera to film through the window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISFWVSaRAY

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Watched Tar last night.

Wow. drat. Cinema. Beautiful film. I was so sure Michelle Yeoh was gonna get Best Actresss at the Oscars this year, even though I didn't like EEAAO that much. That award is totally Blanchett's, sheesh.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Timby posted:

The Borg Queen is played well by Alice Krige, but it's a terrible concept that effectively neuters the Borg and how horrifying they are (or were, really).

I bet you're one of those people who thinks the Borg shouldn't have a logo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Borg Queen does ASMR at Data and asks if his dick works, all hail The Borg Queen

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

teagone posted:

Watched Tar last night.

Wow. drat. Cinema. Beautiful film. I was so sure Michelle Yeoh was gonna get Best Actresss at the Oscars this year, even though I didn't like EEAAO that much. That award is totally Blanchett's, sheesh.

Yeah pretty much the only reason I'm not 100% certain that she'll win it is just because she has won before. Were it not for that I'd say she's a lock.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oscars don’t care if you’ve won before

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I think Frakes is a great tv director. He’s inventive enough for 45 minutes at a time, gets great performances out of very happy actors who are clearly having a fantastic time, and saves a lot of budget for special effects and poo poo.

Pretty middle of the road for movies, though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

EO wasn't great. It looks great, has some amazing shots but it seems the director got so busy showing all the cool things he could do with drones and whatnot that he forgot to give the work any drive or purpose. I cannot think of a single take away or meaning to be had from it except not to be mean to donkeys.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imo terrifier 2 should win best picture and art the clown for best actor

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also watched Tar.

I liked it, but feel like I don’t love it as much as many. But I did have to split my viewing up in multiple sessions as babies limit viewing time. So may have been better to watch it all at once and get drawn in more.

But yeah it’s really well made and everyone is great in it. At some point though I’m just feeling i could use a little less Lydia Tar and wonder what some others are up to. But it is a nice way to make it so the audience and Lydia know all of the same info and can thus judge her fairly.

In reality, I feel like she would just end up conducting for maga concerts and just not worry about consequenceS.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Continued my award nominee film run with The Banshees of Inisherin tonight. It made me laugh more than any other movie I've seen in the last few years. What great performances from the whole cast. I'd drink with Dominic every weekend if I could :rip:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

EO wasn't great. It looks great, has some amazing shots but it seems the director got so busy showing all the cool things he could do with drones and whatnot that he forgot to give the work any drive or purpose. I cannot think of a single take away or meaning to be had from it except not to be mean to donkeys.

Agreed. And it relied on a number of implausible coincidences, and had trouble with POV consistency. .

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

Agreed. And it relied on a number of implausible coincidences, and had trouble with POV consistency. .

Agree with both of you I think its one of the most overrated movies in years.

At first I thought maybe I was just down on it cause I saw it in a theater with a bunch of Brooklyn hipsters ostentatiously cackling at every bit that seemed meme-able, but months later my opinion on it hasn't improved. It's got great VFX and a couple of good laughs but it's mostly just hollow, emotionally trite, and surprisingly boring for a lot of its runtime.

Michelle Yeoh is great in lots of roles but not this

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Failed Imagineer posted:

At first I thought maybe I was just down on it cause I saw it in a theater with a bunch of Brooklyn hipsters ostentatiously cackling at every bit that seemed meme-able, but months later my opinion on it hasn't improved. It's got great VFX and a couple of good laughs but it's mostly just hollow, emotionally trite, and surprisingly boring for a lot of its runtime.

Was Michelle playing the donkey?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The heck is EO. I have no idea what movie that is.

If you’re talking about everywhere everything all at once lol ok whatever grumpy angry movie people

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Should I watch EO first to get the most out of EEAAO?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

E2A2O or E²A²O, lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watch Captain Eo first

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When’s Aronofsky gonna make Noah and the Whale

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

CelticPredator posted:

Watch Captain Eo first

poo poo, knew I was forgetting one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
EO is the donkey movie by Jerzy Skolimowski. EEAAO is the cool movie that cool people like.

I might also think EO is cool, I’m not seeing it until Feb 4.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
They best donkey movie is Banshees of Inishereen, that made me want a donkey pal very much

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Michelle Yeoh tearfully pleading to Stephanie Hsu to just please be nice to donkeys.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
EO might actually just be Eo, a word or name possibly rather than an acronym or initials. This is like when I learned that iD software was pronounced like the counterpart to the ego and superego, not I.D.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do believe that is the case.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I watched the Christian Bale Netflix movie where he investigates dark stuff at West Point in 1830 with the help of Edgar Allen Poe (he's a cadet in the story which is based on a novel). It was really all over the place and the ending is pretty dark.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

EO might actually just be Eo, a word or name possibly rather than an acronym or initials. This is like when I learned that iD software was pronounced like the counterpart to the ego and superego, not I.D.

I was under the impression that that was the name of the donkey, but it's also onomotopeia for the sound a donkey makes, just like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I watched the Christian Bale Netflix movie where he investigates dark stuff at West Point in 1830 with the help of Edgar Allen Poe (he's a cadet in the story which is based on a novel). It was really all over the place and the ending is pretty dark.

It’s absolute trash. Sorry.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ha ha! I was talking about EO Donkey Boy, not EEAAO (which I really enjoyed).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, apparently it's called Io (or IO?) in other markets.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I liked that too

The best of the recent "Poe at West Point" films (Raven's Hollow was meh), but not the best of the new releases this weekend (M3GAN was perfect), imo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol, I can only blame that one on being righteously hungover this morning, I already wanted to see EO

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/atomly/status/1611716074483113986?s=46&t=TLdnXQBALQfO_cPCGqwimg

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

A Christmas Story Christmas was as good as the first one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamn I love movie punks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Goddamn I love movie punks.

https://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/51269/1/hackers-1995-cult-movie-angelina-jolie-jonny-lee-miller-costume-design-bts

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
What are some good documentaries? Tired of the Netflix churn of them

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

An Act of Killing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

worms butthole guy posted:

What are some good documentaries? Tired of the Netflix churn of them