Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

worms butthole guy posted:

What are some good documentaries? Tired of the Netflix churn of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3sQjiaM8YQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gZBITO5GwI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.

These are all at least pretty good:

* Behemoth (2015) Zhao Liang
* Control Room (2004) Jehane Noujaim
* My Best Fiend (1999) Werner Herzog
* Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr. (1999) Errol Morris
* The Decline of Western Civilization Part III (1998) Penelope Spheeris
* When We Were Kings (1996) Leon Gast
* Color Adjustment (1992) Marlon Riggs
* The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years (1988) Penelope Spheeris
* The Decline of Western Civilization (1981) Penelope Spheeris
* General Idi Amin Dada (1974) Barbet Schroeder
* Hearts and Minds (1974) Peter Davis
* A Human Condition (1974) Louis Malle, René Vautier
* Winter Soldier (1972) Michaël Weill, Rusty Sachs

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

F for Fake

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Darkon
Three Identical Strangers
The Emperor’s Naked Army Marches On
Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley’s Island of Dr Moreau
The Act of Killing
King of Kong
Bisbee ‘17

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Special mention for pretty much all of Jon Bois videos. Even if you don't like sports his stuff is very entertaining. Like this one, where he tells the true story of a football game. If the home team does well, the stands will be packed at the end of the game. But if they do poorly the stands will be empty as people leave early to try to beat the traffic.

Which is important because seconds after the end of the game a plane will crash into the stands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcVZZuj_WE

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Exterminate All the Brutes
The Act of Killing
The Look of Silence
Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief
Night and Fog
Won't You Be My Neighbor?
Phoenix Rising

Honorable mentions I'd include, regardless of if but particularly if you're into the subjects they're addressing, are:
Black Art: In the Absence of Light
Say Hey, Willie Mays!
Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Wow thanks everyone

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm watching Paul T Goldman, holy poo poo this is like The Rehearsal via a Neil Breen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Goddamn I love movie punks.

Speaking of, what are the best movie punks?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you're not sinking for authenticity, I really like the guy from Star Trek IV. If you're looking at punk characters from punk movies Return of the Living Dead, Repo Man, and Suburbia all have great movie punks.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

we also got the green room gang

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you're not sinking for authenticity, I really like the guy from Star Trek IV. If you're looking at punk characters from punk movies Return of the Living Dead, Repo Man, and Suburbia all have great movie punks.

I specifically said movie punks, so authenticity isn't an issue.

That comment was prompted by Punk Vacation. Decent movie. Great punks. Insanely hosed up that in a punks vs hicks movie there is not a single bar of punk or country music.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

feedmyleg posted:

Rufio from Hook.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wow thanks everyone

Pro strat: watch every doc parodied in Documentary Now!, followed by the relevant episode of the show (one or two actually have the episode included as a criterion special feature for the original movie which is incredible).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How the gently caress did no one name Exit Through the Gift Shop, which is better than all those other recommendations probably (I haven't seen most of them)

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
If you're open to a foreign language documentary, The Gleaners and I is a great one.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

regulargonzalez posted:

How the gently caress did no one name Exit Through the Gift Shop, which is better than all those other recommendations probably (I haven't seen most of them)

Mm, good call.

I'd add:

I Am Not Your Negro
Capturing the Friedmans
The Fog of War
The Gleaners and I
Crip Camp (really good)

You're not going to wrong with picking something from a list like this
https://www.timeout.com/film/best-documentaries-of-all-time

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Any writers or those just interested: Deadline is hosting a Read The Screenplay series for awards contenders, putting up screenplays for free for people to read.

https://deadline.com/tag/read-the-screenplay/

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

feedmyleg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMmKfKCZoTk

"Patch Adams does not deserve a directors cut, The first one was LONG ENOUGH!"

Kedi is the only recent documentary I've seen that I can remember being pretty good. Following a bunch of cats around Istanbul with old souls waxing lyrical about the spiritual importance of street cats in voice over, lovely time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKq7UqplcL8

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 9, 2023

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Baron von Eevl posted:

EO might actually just be Eo, a word or name possibly rather than an acronym or initials. This is like when I learned that iD software was pronounced like the counterpart to the ego and superego, not I.D.

Which is weird, because the name came out of an older name for the studio, Ideas from the Deep.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

feedmyleg posted:

Return of the Living Dead

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Lost Boys and Return of the Living Dead 3 don't count, right? They're grunge instead?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lost Boys and Near Dark count imo

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I don't get a punk vibe from Near Dark, I think it's nasty cowboy vibes. Pretty translatable I spose

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah it's rockabilly at best.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah it's rockabilly at best.

I'll compromise and say psychobilly, but like the mojo nixon side of psychobilly, not tiger army or something.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Below Deck-mas has arrived
https://extension765.com/blogs/soderblog/seen-read-2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Infernal Affairs. Very good. It's kind of a shame that The Departed was such a faithful remake, because now Infernal Affairs is basically just a not as good version of The Departed.

Although, how they changed the ending is pretty funny from a cultural point of view. Infernal Affairs ends with the mole still alive, clearly feeling unbearable remorse for the people he got killed and the choices he made in his life, and then there's a quote from the Buddha about how living with sin is an endless hell.

So when they made The Departed they were clearly like, nah, that dude's gotta die. The audience wants to see him die, preferably at the hands of Mark Wahlberg. Write in a part for Mark Wahlberg so we can end the movie with Mark Wahlberg killing the guy.

And they were right. Americans want that kind of thing from movies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Also, Criterion is cowards for not using the original American DVD cover

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thr/status/1612592189871390721?s=46&t=ZUndqSy7WSVgCbFm668MSA

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1612593277454385152?s=46&t=ZUndqSy7WSVgCbFm668MSA

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1612595565552103425?s=46&t=ZUndqSy7WSVgCbFm668MSA

Ladies and gentlemen, he’s at it again

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

gently caress. I hope it comes right but that sounds ominous.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I believe in him

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
This going to be an even bigger One From The Heart.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I hope we end up with another Twixt.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He’s got this, easy

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Is he…building the Megalopolis?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yes and there's helicopters flying in the background of every single shot. Even the interior scenes, especially the interior scenes.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Mr. Coppola please start a patreon so I can contribute 5 bucks a month to your new after effects license in exchange for an invite to the official Megalopolis discord

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

smug n stuff posted:

Mr. Coppola please start a patreon so I can contribute 5 bucks a month to your new after effects license in exchange for an invite to the official Megalopolis discord

Will he have to direct from an inflatable kiddie pool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Infernal Affairs 2. At first I was like, OK, Infernal Affairs does leave an opening for a followup story in a way that the Departed didn't, and if they really commit it could be a very interesting movie.

Turns out it's a loving prequel.

But after a bit I'm like, Ok, I'll just try to appreciate this as a standalone thing. I'll ignore the fact that the mob politics in this movie means that the mob boss from the first movie was a much more minor mob figure that you'd think when he launched his scheme to get his own guys onto the police force. Like, to the point where it doesn't make a ton of sense, but whatever.

Unfortunately the prequel nature of the movie really hamstrings it. They need the two main guys to be major characters, but the mole's whole thing was being Mr A. Normal Cop and their attempt to add drama to his life if extremely awkward and doesn't add to the plot of the movie. And the fact that the undercover cop has to still be an undercover cop at the beginning of the first movie makes his storyline bonkers. He sees the mob boss murder another undercover cop right in front of him! And then the mob boss gets charged! The first one should be reason enough to pull him out, but the second one is definitely the end of his undercover role. He should not be an undercover cop anymore, he should be in safehouse getting prepped for the trial. But instead everyone is just like, ehhh... let's keep him undercover indefinitely, see what happens. The cop himself is even like, "when this case is wrapped up, you pull me out" but the case, from his point of view, is wrapped up! Charges have been filed! He's the key witness! But no, this movie needs to lead into Infernal Affairs, so he just keeps being a gangster for absolutely no reason.

And the end makes it totally impossible to enjoy the movie as a standalone thing because it's like ten minutes of slo-mo about how now everything is set up for the start of the first movie! Infernal I've never seen a sequel, prequel, followup whatever movie, outside of maybe the Disney Star Wars movies, spend so much time basically being like, "man that other movie was a really good movie, wasn't it? And this movie you're watching now? Guess what; it's a part of it"

I don't think I'm gonna watch Infernal Affairs 3