Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Frank Frank posted:

Why does anyone even bother reporting on the dumb poo poo he says at this point?

To laugh at him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/UrbanNathalia/status/1612264580469735426

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Frank Frank posted:

Why does anyone even bother reporting on the dumb poo poo he says at this point?

I find it deeply deeply funny because we have/had Goons saying basically the exact same poo poo in the war threads.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Frank Frank posted:

It's just gorgeously satisfying to see this shining beacon of capitalism walk into rakes again and again while a chorus of sycophants cheer him on for his genius invention of the Manually Operated Kinetic Self Concussion Device

Unlike Trump, Elon actually cares about what his detractors think and so desperately wants to be loved by everyone that he's just Sad All The Time and there's a deep dark satisfaction to be had at a visible reminder that money can in fact not save you from being a white South African

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The original Hyperloop pitch wasn't even an original idea he just stole it from that weird early 00s webcomic where a detective travels to an alternate libertarian dimension with taking chimps.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Does Polytopia have tanks? Chess doesnt have tanks.

Musky knows how to win a war, he's played sooo many hours of polytopia on his tesla.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Telsa Cola posted:

I find it deeply deeply funny because we have/had Goons saying basically the exact same poo poo in the war threads.

It's like a goon with lots of money and instead of focusing on using that money for good, spent so much of his life writing DEAR RICHARDs and wanting to get a gangtag started off his own poo poo meme or catch phrase.

But, y'know, on a much larger scale because there are governments and businesses using that website.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1612204071842349056

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The original Hyperloop pitch wasn't even an original idea he just stole it from that weird early 00s webcomic where a detective travels to an alternate libertarian dimension with taking chimps.

It's a graphic novel adaptation of a batshit loony libertarian utopia novel written in the 70s, it is gloriously stupid, and it's free online.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Strong Sauce posted:

a lot of people who don't write software think of code way too visually, "block access to surface road maps for these specific cars and 'shove' in the tunnel layout" might be a real easy task if it was preplanned to support that, or it might take a 2 year rewrite of the code to support it.
I am a software engineer and this *should* be piss easy if you've put even a little thought into your code.

So in other words it's impossible for Tesla.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Frank Frank posted:

It drives engagement. Clicks are cash and things that are divisive get clicks so the dumb and the hateful and the toxic rule the attention economy of our social media age.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Breetai posted:

It drives engagement. Clicks are cash and things that are divisive get clicks so the dumb and the hateful and the toxic rule the attention economy of our social media age.

So what you're saying is we're just animals responding to stimuli and that social media has put the final nail in the coffin that we may one day be more than that?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

So what you're saying is we're just animals responding to stimuli and that social media has put the final nail in the coffin that we may one day be more than that?

Always has been

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Last Call posted:

Elon Musk sparks heated debate on Twitter saying Ukraine shouldn’t use tanks against Russia

Social media users dismissed him as having ‘zero expertise’ on the issue

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/elon-musk-twitter-russia-ukraine-b2258075.html

Twitter owner Elon Musk has sparked yet another debate on social media after he described tanks as “deathtraps” that should not be used in Russia’s war against Ukraine.

“Tanks are a deathtrap now,” tweeted Mr Musk before drawing parallels with the First World War. “With neither side having air superiority, you’re left with infantry & artillery – essentially WW1.”

The comments from the tech tycoon came as Ukraine received tank-killing armored vehicles in its latest multibillion-dollar package of military aid from the US.

It isn’t the first time Musk has publicly disagreed with Ukraine’s president, and social media users were quick to push back against the billionaire’s remarks, with some dismissing him as having “zero expertise” on the topic.

Earlier in October, the Tesla boss held a Twitter poll suggesting that Kyiv should permanently cede Crimea to Russia. The poll suggested that new referendums be held under the UN auspices to determine the fate of Russian-controlled territory, and that Ukraine agree to neutrality, drawing widespread backlash from diplomats and politicians alike.

“Elon Musk didn’t know what he was talking about when he told Ukraine to give in because Russian victory is inevitable,” tweeted Nicholas Grossman, an International Relations professor at the University of Illinois.

“Not today, Satan,” tweeted retired commanding general of the US army, Mark Hertling. “My New Year’s resolution is to not engage with those who offer uninformed opinions when they have zero expertise and even less background/experience on the topic.”

“Listening to Elon Musk talk about tank warfare (or anything) is like listening to George Santos talk about honesty (or anything),” tweeted former CIA case officer Patrick Skinner, as he compared the Tesla founder to the Republican congressman who recently admitted to a series of lies about his background, including about his educational qualifications.

“Neither know what they are talking about and both depend on you not caring.”

Musk is rubbish.

Elon Musk is an expert when it comes to building vehicles that burn their occupants alive but thankfully these tanks were not made by Tesla

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah credit where it's due, if the man's an expert in anything it's a loving deathtrap

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
That’s the same energy as when Trump suggested Paris should water bomb Notre Dame.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

QuarkJets posted:

Elon Musk is an expert when it comes to building vehicles that burn their occupants alive but thankfully these tanks were not made by Tesla

Maybe he can offer to build self-immolating tanks for the Russians, then call somebody a pedo

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's a graphic novel adaptation of a batshit loony libertarian utopia novel written in the 70s, it is gloriously stupid, and it's free online.

Only the first 36 pages of this webcomic are free. There's a text novel available through the usual sources. I might read some of it, I'm vaguely curious as to how the author rationalizes the existence of a utopia where all the self-centred libertarians are armed yet peaceful, and somehow have nice streets in nice cities, and medical care etc., without presumably paying any taxes.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The Last Call posted:

“Not today, Satan,” tweeted retired commanding general of the US army, Mark Hertling. “My New Year’s resolution is to not engage with those who offer uninformed opinions when they have zero expertise and even less background/experience on the topic.”

“Listening to Elon Musk talk about tank warfare (or anything) is like listening to George Santos talk about honesty (or anything),” tweeted former CIA case officer Patrick Skinner, as he compared the Tesla founder to the Republican congressman who recently admitted to a series of lies about his background, including about his educational qualifications.

“Neither know what they are talking about and both depend on you not caring.”

What a withering barb, lol.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

musk sobbing into the phone as he calls up Putin and asks for more bots to flood off the criticism.
Putin laughs in return, reminds musk who has his Epstein island receipts, demands starlink turned off.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

Only the first 36 pages of this webcomic are free. There's a text novel available through the usual sources. I might read some of it, I'm vaguely curious as to how the author rationalizes the existence of a utopia where all the self-centred libertarians are armed yet peaceful, and somehow have nice streets in nice cities, and medical care etc., without presumably paying any taxes.

the same way they all do:
mythical post-scarcity caused by complete capitalism with a ???? in place of how we actually get there.

but as all libertarian things, it's a front- a ploy. They know to some degree this is magical wishful thinking, but the idea that their ideology will lead to a utopia justifies the social upheaval and evils necessary to get there (ends justify means after all), and once they are where they actually want to be they can just stop. Where do they want to be?

fascism, the answer is fascism. they just want to hold the slave leash.

The libertarian plan is as follows: Pursue short-term deregulation and tax reductions to benefit themselves and isolate themselves from the implications of this on society via personal wealth. then use the law to enforce their elite position by busting up unions and enforce anti-worker policies while privatizing social goods for their own gain. with both of these accomplished, limit political access to only the wealthy via poll taxes. finally, enshrine their control of society by ceding the monopoly on violence of the state to private corporations.

the end-goal is a corporate society enforced by courts that punish workers for speaking out, and a weakened state apparatus with all democratic functions only accessible by the wealthy.

this is also why they use weed and guns as a way to get idiot leftists onboard. they don't give two shits what drugs the workers may or may not be on, and then having easy access to violence (but never being able to group up or band in solidarity to use it as a mass) can be used as a way to keep them fighting each other. a little bit of quiet propaganda to keep out-groups fighting each other goes a long way to enforcing the chosen system, and with a strong privatized security apparatus individual firearms are a non-issue towards the actual elite class.

hell in a libertarian utopia the workers all dying to fentanyl at the age of 30 means less old people around which is a net gain for the elite.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 9, 2023

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

BigBadSteve posted:

I read the probability broach years ago because the first edition had a space gorilla on the cover who was gavelling in a session of congress ( in the libertarian future gorillas, apes and sentient dolphins are all citizens of the super USA and also they're colonizing the solar system too) and there's barely any attempt to explain how a government that can do nothing means it won't do anything and this magically solves every problem in the universe and sparks a libertarians revolution worldwide. It's just so obvious a solution! In contrast the "original" world that the novel starts out in is a straight out of the 70s ecotopia fascist state where BIG GOVERNMENT banned guns and meat and smoking and the EPA is a super fun-hating police force. The whole series of novels that started with this one are just over the top libertarian propaganda and at least one of them won a "prestigious" literary prize for libertarian fiction. That sounds impressive except the prize was created by the author.

So basically 10 minutes after someone @'s elon about it expect to see it on his nightstand.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I read that graphic novel years ago and all I remember is that everyone is armed at all times, even children, and everyone fucks constantly

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scratch Monkey posted:

I read that graphic novel years ago and all I remember is that everyone is armed at all times, even children, and everyone fucks constantly

Even the... Oh wait, what am I saying? It's a Libertarian vision of paradise after all...

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Looking at a video of the loop, I'm sure the cars could manage the actual driving around the loop. It looks to me like the drivers are there to handle the loading and maneuvering around in that busy boarding area, which autonomous vehicles absolutely would not be able to handle reliably.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they didn't want to, they'd just use their gun.
If their parents didn't want them to, they'd just use their guns.
If they didn't want their parents to not want them to, they'd just use their gun.

There are no problems when you have gun.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

So if you get a flat tyre or something in the Loop, do you just die or what?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Stoatbringer posted:

So if you get a flat tyre or something in the Loop, do you just die or what?

every night at midnight, the langoliers flood through the tunnel and devour the day's detritus.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're all running solid tyres. No bumps in that tunnel, it's as smooth as his brain.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Buce posted:

every night at midnight, the langoliers flood through the tunnel and devour the day's detritus.

Tesla brand gelatinous cubes

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

To goad him into saying even dumber poo poo I guess.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BigBadSteve posted:

Whoops, that must have changed sometime in the last few years. But yeah, as mentioned above: it all works because the author says it works.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/iluvbutts247/status/1611751121856462850?s=46&t=jkq06RK0hp7UuFW7QIvpCg

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Scratch Monkey posted:

I remember one scene in which in the equivalent of the libertarian senate there's some kind of a major disagreement which results in people having a fist fight for a few panels before some captain of industry manages to rally the crowd with rationality or whatever and I remember thinking...

...they have guns. They would be shooting each other, not fist fighting.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

SRQ posted:

the same way they all do:
mythical post-scarcity caused by complete capitalism with a ???? in place of how we actually get there.

but as all libertarian things, it's a front- a ploy. They know to some degree this is magical wishful thinking, but the idea that their ideology will lead to a utopia justifies the social upheaval and evils necessary to get there (ends justify means after all), and once they are where they actually want to be they can just stop. Where do they want to be?

fascism, the answer is fascism. they just want to hold the slave leash.

The libertarian plan is as follows: Pursue short-term deregulation and tax reductions to benefit themselves and isolate themselves from the implications of this on society via personal wealth. then use the law to enforce their elite position by busting up unions and enforce anti-worker policies while privatizing social goods for their own gain. with both of these accomplished, limit political access to only the wealthy via poll taxes. finally, enshrine their control of society by ceding the monopoly on violence of the state to private corporations.

the end-goal is a corporate society enforced by courts that punish workers for speaking out, and a weakened state apparatus with all democratic functions only accessible by the wealthy.

this is also why they use weed and guns as a way to get idiot leftists onboard. they don't give two shits what drugs the workers may or may not be on, and then having easy access to violence (but never being able to group up or band in solidarity to use it as a mass) can be used as a way to keep them fighting each other. a little bit of quiet propaganda to keep out-groups fighting each other goes a long way to enforcing the chosen system, and with a strong privatized security apparatus individual firearms are a non-issue towards the actual elite class.

hell in a libertarian utopia the workers all dying to fentanyl at the age of 30 means less old people around which is a net gain for the elite.

I don't dispute your points but I think the end state of Libertarian thought is more corporate feudalism rather than fascism.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Deptfordx posted:

Looking at a video of the loop, I'm sure the cars could manage the actual driving around the loop. It looks to me like the drivers are there to handle the loading and maneuvering around in that busy boarding area, which autonomous vehicles absolutely would not be able to handle reliably.

The drivers are there because they can't stop the Teslas from thinking they are on the roads above and driving like it because Tesla Self Driving is so very good.

If only there were a more efficient system to move people from one place to another on a single, narrow tunnel. Maybe something on a rail? Just spitballing here. I'm sure having a dozen Teslas was the only way to do this.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Samovar posted:

I remember one scene in which in the equivalent of the libertarian senate there's some kind of a major disagreement which results in people having a fist fight for a few panels before some captain of industry manages to rally the crowd with rationality or whatever and I remember thinking...

...they have guns. They would be shooting each other, not fist fighting.

Nah, the American Way is to berate someone with slurs first, if that doesn't work, you fight them. And if you start to lose the fight THEN you shoot them.

Bonus points if you act all cool (in your mind) while limping away from the fight you lost, get your gun out of your car, and then go back and shoot them.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

The drivers are there because they can't stop the Teslas from thinking they are on the roads above and driving like it because Tesla Self Driving is so very good.

If only there were a more efficient system to move people from one place to another on a single, narrow tunnel. Maybe something on a rail? Just spitballing here. I'm sure having a dozen Teslas was the only way to do this.

It's been a solved problem in amusement parks for decades

https://youtu.be/FXeGC9X_Pl0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Lazyfire posted:

Is there a source for this?