Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What if all fire emblems are actually good (except Fates, maybe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Good God I would rather have 3H political discourse every day of the week over engage “anime aesthetics” discourse. This is going to be the conversation topic for the next 36 months, isn’t it

Engage isn't out yet so we can talk about how Edelgard is objectively correct in the meantime if you'd like

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Zore posted:

Do we know what the Fire Emblem is in the game yet?

I'm gonna guess its eventually going to be Marth's Engage ring but outside bet on it somehow being the OG shield popping up again.

Half-crackpot theory: The Fire Emblem is the entire continent itself, with the four kingdoms + Alear's holy land representing the five stones

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Engage isn't out yet so we can talk about how Edelgard is objectively correct in the meantime if you'd like

I would like that, thank you

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

2nd guess: the 12 rings are needed for a ritual that grants power, that power is the Fire Emblem

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Edelgard is objectively correct in that Hubert is entirely trustworthy and Dorothea is cool.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Half-crackpot theory: The Fire Emblem is the entire continent itself, with the four kingdoms + Alear's holy land representing the five stones

Actually I'm gonna take this theory a step further

The holy land is the center of the Emblem, and there's a submerged fifth kingdom up north (or, well, any cardinal direction) that's gonna be the final boss area or something

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Zore posted:

Do we know what the Fire Emblem is in the game yet?

I'm gonna guess its eventually going to be Marth's Engage ring but outside bet on it somehow being the OG shield popping up again.

Since they say in the trailer that the engage rings are called emblems, it's definitely one of them.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Im just here for the boobs

Finally some sanity in the thread

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Im still unsure on the new heavy weapons when i learned you will always attack second

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Deltasquid posted:

Good God I would rather have 3H political discourse every day of the week over engage “anime aesthetics” discourse. This is going to be the conversation topic for the next 36 months, isn’t it

TBH there is always some subset of goons that hiss and shriek like vampires whenever they perceive anything remotely anime for pretty much everything.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

The idea is definitely to put them on slow, bulky characters who aren't likely to be doubling anyway, but they sound like they're gonna be less and less effective as the difficulty goes up where enemies hit harder and 20+ Mt won't be enough to one-shot anymore

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

blizzardvizard posted:

The idea is definitely to put them on slow, bulky characters who aren't likely to be doubling anyway, but they sound like they're gonna be less and less effective as the difficulty goes up where enemies hit harder and 20+ Mt won't be enough to one-shot anymore

You might also be able to use them as combo pieces? Have an ally Break an enemy then hit them with a heavy weapon to do a second Break?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There is always merit in position management, but it does seem limited in its applicability.

There's got to be at least one map where the LTC requires positioning yourself so that you're Smashed in the right direction

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

not a bot posted:

Since they say in the trailer that the engage rings are called emblems, it's definitely one of them.

They all are, collectively. At the end of the game, after bonding with all of the main characters inside throughout the journey, Alear's gonna look straight into the camera and say "Maybe the real Fire Emblem...was the friends we made along the way..."

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
At some point, the villain will set all the rings on fire.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Love to hold wine & cheese parties

EDIT: although it looks like they're drinking water from wine glasses.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 9, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Unlucky7 posted:

TBH there is always some subset of goons that hiss and shriek like vampires whenever they perceive anything remotely anime for pretty much everything.

Comments like this are hilarious given a primary detractor is talking about how much they prefer chainsaw man's style.

It's not about disliking anime.

Everyone I know who has issues with the visual style loving loves anime.

It's about the pursuit of a visual style within that medium that is a lot more colourful than 3h and even 3ds style.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 9, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Chainsaw Man is very inspired by Western media so it's not really what I would call the average anime, but anyone playing the anime-rear end game posting in the anime-rear end game thread probably doesn't belong that subset of goons.

You can just say "I don't like this style." You don't need to twist around how anime it is or the ethics of making everyone look young and an appealing design. Overreasoning opinions is how you end up with such brainrot takes as "Steven Universe was made by Nazi pedophiles".

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
My only real critique is that the cast looks kinda sameface-y with a few exceptions (Vander, Ivy, Diamant) but eh, it's not a deal breaker.

The vibrant colours and AA are crisp and game looks great

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The next game should go the FEH (and FGO I guess) route and have every named character designed and drawn by a different person .

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
At least I haven't read a dumbass complain about how the ladies are too fanservicey.

Oh wait when the trailer came out, people were making GBS threads themselves when the pegasus knight have a little bit of cleavage. Nevermind.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tired Moritz posted:

At least I haven't read a dumbass complain about how the ladies are too fanservicey.

Oh wait when the trailer came out, people were making GBS threads themselves when the pegasus knight have a little bit of cleavage. Nevermind.

Twitter discourse is still deranged though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my guess for the fire emblem is that the final map of the game will have alear engage with naga and that engage ring will be the fire emblem.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

The next game should go the FEH (and FGO I guess) route and have every named character designed and drawn by a different person .

One of the tales games had two artists design a half of the main cast each. Idr if it was a gender divide or what, but that was kinda cool

I think it was berseria?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

One of the tales games had two artists design a half of the main cast each. Idr if it was a gender divide or what, but that was kinda cool

I think it was berseria?
berseria had 4 character designers, and there was no real coherence to it.

velvet was mutsumi inomata, a long time tales designer.
laphicet and eizen were minoru iwamoto, who'd later be sole character designer for tales of arise.
rokurou and magilou were daigo okumura, who'd previously worked on god eater.
and eleanor was kosuke fujishima, the ah my goddess guy.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Pureauthor posted:

That's how you get Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm ready for the fell dragon to start moving at the speed of light

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

That's how you get Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Sounds great!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If the villains don't have a 13th ring that lets them Engage Grima I'm calling the game a failure.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im probably def wrong but it feels like there has been a substantially smaller focus on this game compared to 3 Houses. I remember seeing vids and previews for 3H in every drat Direct but unless they've been releasing videos individually I can't recall a single thing they've shown for this one.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DLC Inc posted:

im probably def wrong but it feels like there has been a substantially smaller focus on this game compared to 3 Houses. I remember seeing vids and previews for 3H in every drat Direct but unless they've been releasing videos individually I can't recall a single thing they've shown for this one.

It feels like the Fire Emblem community and streamers are really doing the bulk of the work, at least to me. Maybe it's because FE is a lot bigger now they can get away with that? There are a lot more videos on the JP side of things though, it's NoA that seems to be kind of quiet on it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well uh the latest big Nintendo Direct was the one in which this game was announced. There's been one-two trailers since then but yeah if you haven't been following along you wouldn't really have seen much. The game itself has has way more preorders than Three Houses did so it's doing something right somewhere in the world!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only directs nintendo's done since this game's announcement have both been entirely about the super mario brothers movie.

this game has a much shorter turnaround from announcement to release and directs are a smaller part of nintendo's marketing these days. they're posting a ton of videos to their youtube and nintendo's japanese twitter has been posting clips of the game every few days. there's posters and commercials for it in japan, too. mika pikazo, the game's artist, also had a big art exhibit in tokyo that included some promotional art from this game.

three houses didn't really get any casual marketing to western audiences either, it just had a longer dev time and nintendo did more directs back then so it had more chances to show up.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 9, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's probably also a little reflective of reception.

3H came off Fates which ultimately had a mixed reception after initially strong reviews. So I think Nintendo consciously felt they needed to do more to energise the fanbase over a new game.

Engage comes off 3H which remains wildly popular and there's no system transition. So you have more latitude to count on the people who bought an enjoyed 3H to buy into this game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also Nintendo of America just blatantly has no idea how to market fire emblem on any level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOMEamyw_Zw

peep the only US commercial three houses got. WAR IS IMMINENT (war does not happen for half the game,) literally no mention of the teacher/academy premise, no mention of character stuff, a lady doing a bad impression of professor mcgonagall, trying to sell the game as a hardcore tactical challenge.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not even sure what mechanic shes referring to with 'saving your strongest attack for the reinforcements.' i guess gambits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

im not even sure what mechanic shes referring to with 'saving your strongest attack for the reinforcements.' i guess gambits?

Aymr charges clearly.