Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

mentholmoose posted:

https://twitter.com/jsalisburynbcs/status/1611777788171915269?s=61&t=Q3vaLYAzKxrm7unyTgixiA

Somebody tell me about Soto. BB-ref suggests a pitcher with potential to improve under the right staff. If the Phils could fix Soto like they did Alvarado that could be huge.

He throws really hard but has control issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mentholmoose posted:

https://twitter.com/jsalisburynbcs/status/1611777788171915269?s=61&t=Q3vaLYAzKxrm7unyTgixiA

Somebody tell me about Soto. BB-ref suggests a pitcher with potential to improve under the right staff. If the Phils could fix Soto like they did Alvarado that could be huge.

He's got a future stars card in The Show 22 that is absolutely loving unhittable.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Phillies give up Vierling and Maton. This is loving bullshit.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

chilihead posted:

Cardinals are penny pinchers? Never realized this but hey i don't follow them. Also what about a Bauer back to Cleveland?
Every team he's already played on is tired of his poo poo, even before you get to the assaults.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Tony Phillips posted:

I've never seen that before at all and it's cool as hell.

Also, apparently the Skydome has a weird brutalist pyramid corner?

Those statues were on the north-facing corners of the Dome so it's what would greet you as you walked across the bridges from downtown.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Do any of the players the Tigers got have any real upside?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Vierling’s ‘22 may be be his ceiling or his typical line, but plays many positions well. Maton could be a decent IFer with surprising power, and I thought he deserved a real shot at 2B. Both were supposed to be huge parts of the bench, especially with Harper missing time, so I have no idea what the hell they’re doing. Both leaving means Marsh and Stott will be everyday guys.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Pussy Boss posted:

Baez does cool stuff from time to time. He's also my friend.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not really sure why the Tigers made this deal, because essentially you traded a decent RP and a bench bat for three bench bats

I don't think they are even close to being competitive so I'm surprised this deal wasn't for prospects

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Maton is whatever, but losing Vierling stings as the Phillies are short on players than can actually play CF

What position does Clemens play

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think 1B/3B?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Maton is whatever, but losing Vierling stings as the Phillies are short on players than can actually play CF

What position does Clemens play

He plays 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, and relief pitcher

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
who gets signed first bauer or correa

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Mariners did a thing...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/mariners-acquire-justin-topa.html

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/JohnWFerguson/status/1611780615883587585

:hmmyes:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

full pardon for every astro for hitting a garbage can with cruz in it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Aggrivated Assault with a Deadly Weapon. The weapon: an unopened can of White Claw.

There's a number of political comments to be made here, but I'm just not gonna make em. That said, gently caress this DA. Holy poo poo.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

Aggrivated Assault with a Deadly Weapon. The weapon: an unopened can of White Claw.

There's a number of political comments to be made here, but I'm just not gonna make em. That said, gently caress this DA. Holy poo poo.

The Harris County DA definitely does suck, I'll give you that much, but Ted Cruz is the real enemy here.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1611933180927397888

Best move left on the board for the Mariners at this point, they're probably done outside of a Reynolds deal.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
7 mill is the most Dipoto has ever spent on a free agent hitter.

:smith:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/whitesox/status/1612239011472449538

gently caress cancer

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

That really sucks for a good player and a much better human being.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

drat. Best of luck to him

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

oh man

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

gently caress cancer

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

gently caress cancer

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

gently caress cancer

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

gently caress cancer.

He seems like a good guy on top of being a relief ace.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Huh MLB just removed John Coppolella from the permanently ineligible list.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

gently caress cancer. You got this, Liam.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

He's gonna be the Astros GM i bet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If we're going to hire a rule-breaking disgraced GM there's a guy running Mexican soccer teams we should look at first.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lmao he's been selling time shares. Once a scumbag, always a scumbag

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Red posted:

Phillies give up Vierling and Maton. This is loving bullshit.

I watched 100+ Phillies games and don’t even remember who maton is

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He got a hit off his brother in the final regular season series and made his brother so mad that he punched a locker and missed the post season.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1612448920797339648

Gleeman is out with his annual opus on the Twins prospects. It's striking how returns from injury are essentially going to determine if it's a top 10 or bottom 10 system:

quote:

1. Brooks Lee, SS
Born: 2001 | Bats: Switch | Acquired: 2022 draft
It was a grand debut for Lee, who lived up to the pre-draft hype as a polished, disciplined line-drive machine by batting .303/.389/.451 with 10 extra-base hits and 16 walks in 31 games. He showed the bat-to-ball skills the Twins expected and the power potential they hoped to see, and he also fit the coach’s son mold by impressing with his work ethic and attention to detail.

Lee has a sturdy 6-foot-2 frame and modest speed, leading to mixed opinions about his ability to stick at shortstop, but if a move is eventually needed he has the tools to thrive at third base or second base. He has a chance to be the total package offensively, with power, patience and contact from both sides. And if the Twins stay aggressive, reaching the majors in 2023, at age 22, is possible
("Mixed opinions" is ludicrously generous and that they're shopping Arraez should be seen through that lens)

quote:

2. Royce Lewis, SS
Born: 1999 | Bats: Right | Acquired: 2017 draft

Royce Lewis went 28 months without any game action due to the pandemic in 2020 and a torn ACL in 2021. He returned in 2022 and looked better than ever at the plate while facing Triple-A pitching for the first time. He made his MLB debut, first subbing for Carlos Correa at shortstop and then changing positions to play alongside Correa in the Twins’ lineup. And then he re-tore his ACL.

What we do know is the first comeback was wildly impressive, as Lewis hit .313/.405/.534 in 34 games for the Saints and .300/.317/.550 in 12 games for the Twins, looking every bit like the player drafted No. 1 in 2017.

In those 46 total games, Lewis went 12-for-14 stealing bases while rating in the 80th percentile for sprint speed, played a solid shortstop and smacked 24 extra-base hits, including seven homers and his first MLB grand slam. He already did it once. And if something resembling that version of Lewis remains intact after another 12 months of rehab, the Twins will have a 24-year-old building block.

Lewis has seemingly been a top prospect forever and he’s already experienced an entire career’s worth of adversity, but he was the Twins’ youngest position player last season and he’s the same age or younger than half of the other prospects on this list. In other words, he still has plenty of time. And he certainly has plenty of talent. Answering any other questions will have to wait until midseason.

quote:

3. Emmanuel Rodriguez, CF
Born: 2003 | Bats: Left | Acquired: 2019 IFA

If not for a knee injury in June that ended his season after 47 games, Emmanuel Rodriguez might be sitting atop this list. Making his full-season debut at 19, he hit .272/.493/.553 with eye-popping power and plate discipline for Low-A Fort Myers, blowing away the pitcher-friendly league average by 357 points of OPS. Now fully recovered from surgery, he’s expected to be ready for spring training.

In particular, his ultra-patient approach, with 80 walks in 84 career games, is almost unheard of for any teenager, and especially a center fielder with big power, solid bat-to-ball skills and above-average speed.

Rodriguez is a sturdy 5-foot-10 and moving out of center field eventually was a strong possibility even before the knee injury, but he’s got the arm strength and range to thrive in a corner spot. And his middle-of-the-order hitting potential is obvious, as Rodriguez has launched 19 homers and 33 total extra-base hits in just 262 at-bats and rarely expands the zone in search of non-strikes to hit.
It would be rude to say "Emmanuel is what it'd look like if Jasson's production even came close to matching his hype", so I won't (because the best way to look foolish is mocking a toolsy teen's production)

There's a mix of pitchers who've been overhauled by the Twins pitching system, with Varland, Raya, Festa, and Nowlin all joining SWR as TINSTAAPy midrotation guys (Raya maybe having a chance for more).

More interesting to me is the DSL debut of a couple recent signees who fit Falvine's favorite molds:

quote:

10. Yasser Mercedes, CF
Born: 2004 | Bats: Right | Acquired: 2022 IFA

Yasser Mercedes was the Twins’ top signing in the 2022 international prospect class, agreeing to a $1.7 million bonus as a 17-year-old last January. Billed as a raw, toolsy center fielder whose skills might take a few years to develop into an impact player, he thrived immediately in the rookie-level Dominican Summer League, batting .355 with 20 extra-base hits and 30 steals in 41 games.

Mercedes out-hit the league average by 266 points of OPS and his power was especially impressive in a league that slugged just .352. Twins officials were also pleasantly surprised by his strike-zone control, which is always tough to predict in teenagers facing pro competition for the first time. He drew walks, struck out less often than the league average and showed a discerning eye at the plate.

He’s a quality defensive center fielder with plenty of range now, but Mercedes also has enough room to grow into his 6-foot-2 frame that an eventual move to a corner spot could be natural. Rookie-ball skepticism is always appropriate, but Mercedes’ pro debut put his elite bat speed and power-athleticism combination on full display. He’s one of the highest-upside prospects in the Twins’ system.

quote:

13. Jose Rodriguez, RF
Born: 2005 | Bats: Right | Acquired: 2022 IFA

Signed for $650,000 as part of the 2022 international class, Rodriguez debuted alongside Mercedes in the Dominican Summer League and smacked a league-leading 13 homers in 55 games. That’s rarefied air in a league for teenagers still growing into their power. Last season, the average DSL team hit just 25 homers and no individual prospect has topped 13 homers in the DSL since 2016.

Rodriguez’s exit velocities may have been even more impressive than his homer total. He destroyed the ball, in an environment where that isn’t supposed to take place. And he also showed better bat-to-ball ability than anticipated right away, hitting .290 with a fair number of walks and a high but reasonable strikeout rate just a shade above the league average.

Rodriguez is a prototypical right fielder, with modest range and a strong arm, so his elite right-handed power would profile well at the position if the rest of his game develops as hoped. He won’t be 18 until June, so expectations should be held in check, but the early returns are promising and Twins officials think his slugging potential is substantial enough to be a carrying tool.
Lee, a healthy Lewis, and Emmanuel picking up where he left off give them top end up the middle talent and they've got impressive SP depth at all levels even lacking the high end arms of other systems (though, again, Raya's performance last year suggests he may be reevaluated quickly). Add that to warty bats with carrying tools that should allow them to see major league time if not become regulars (Martin, Wallner, Julien) and the far-from-majors toolsy youth (the aforementioned DSL outfielders, Noah Miller, and last year's weird 5th rd overdraft Ben Ross), it's honestly a fairly impressive system given they graduated Winder, Miranda, Duran, and Ryan and dealt Steer, Petty, and Povich.

In first round bust news:lol::lol::lol:

quote:

34. Aaron Sabato, 1B
Born: 1999 | Bats: Right | Acquired: 2020 draft

This could be a make-or-break season for Aaron Sabato, a college first baseman drafted in the 2020 first round solely for his bat. He was supposed to put up big numbers and move quickly after starring at North Carolina, but so far he’s done neither, hitting .209 with 291 strikeouts in 210 games. As a slow, right-handed hitter already at the bottom of the defensive spectrum, he needs to produce.

Sabato has shown substantial power to all fields when he connects, including 22 homers in 103 games last season, and walks prop up his on-base percentage, but a former college superstar striking out 32 percent of the time versus low-minors pitchers is a bright red flag. Sabato has to be able to make more contact and do damage against high-end velocity or his upside is capped as a mistake-crusher.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 9, 2023

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Kevin Maitan was such a bust that they figured anyone willing to break rules to sign him probably isn’t a threat to the competitive order.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't remember exactly what Coppolella did but I do remember it involved international signings. Did he give them too much money? Oh the horror, he built the backbone of a perennial contender by giving international signees more money than the artificial cap

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would be really concerned about Royce Lewis’ ability to actually play much baseball going forward

His injury record is insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Thor to the Dodgers.

e: never-mind, this happened weeks ago.