Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Outrail posted:

Isn't 'Every common man pony has the potential to become a wealthy captain of industry immortal god pony' literally the america dream/republican fantasy?

Yeah, but they also hate every horse that's not the same color as the one they want to gently caress most. Y'know the other half of the Republican fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

steinrokkan posted:

The Roman augurs would look at modern financial experts and journalists and laugh at their methods of interpretation as they asked pigeons for political advice.

Hey a dude disrespected the pigeons and lost an entire navy. They have a better track record than any economists

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Outrail posted:

Isn't 'Every common man pony has the potential to become a wealthy captain of industry immortal god pony' literally the america dream/republican fantasy?

No, that's the marketing line. The fantasy is "but I will and most of you won't".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every common man has the potential to become a wealthy captain of industry by the sweat of their browwinning the lottery

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Much like the woods. Twitter is a place where idiots get ticks.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

War Wizard posted:

With touch controls on the center console and no external button? Wow, didn't realize it was common practice.

Mine is electric opening too, but I can also just use the loving key.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

War Wizard posted:

With touch controls on the center console and no external button? Wow, didn't realize it was common practice.

I don't really see much of a functional difference between it being controlled by a touch screen or a separate electronic button, but yeah, it's still not uncommon. My Mach-E you had to hit the Vehicle icon then Controls then Access then press the liftgate icon.

And In either case (electric button vs touch screen) there's no direct physical connection between the two like there is with a purely mechanical release.

You can see in the video that the touch screen has sent the signal to open so it's either being interrupted (i.e. broken wire) or the latch is mechanically stuck (probably most likely) both of which can happen with most cars.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ok the deal is that a regular physical switch that engages the electric mechanism can be pressed over and over and will attempt to unlock every time you press it (some vehicles have safety systems that will prevent it if the car is in drive/in motion).

Tesla has locked the function behind software, where a faulty sensor (or logic!) means you can't open it (because it thinks it is already open) and there's no physical switch on the frunk itself.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 9, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
but if it thinks the trunk is open, can't you touch the screen to "close" it, thus resetting the software state and try again to open it?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

ymgve posted:

but if it thinks the trunk is open, can't you touch the screen to "close" it, thus resetting the software state and try again to open it?

Looking into this

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ymgve posted:

nobody knows and it is inscrutable because it’s locked away in some code logic somewhere, which is a big reason why it sucks

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

OPAONI posted:

I don't dispute your points but I think the end state of Libertarian thought is more corporate feudalism rather than fascism.

this is what they think they want but feudalism entails all kinds of obligate social relationships of the exact kind that libertarians abhor

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

git apologist posted:

nobody knows and it is inscrutable because it’s locked away in some code logic somewhere, which is a big reason why it sucks

This.. this is my issue is with the touchscreen. Everything has to move through the OS. And since cosmic loving rays can kill that poo poo at random, it's pathetic to not have any manual control.

.random
May 7, 2007

Based on CES, looks like more cars are planning to do the Giant Tablet for Center Console thing. Not sure how I feel about it. On the downside, none of them seem to be replacing turn signal stems with capacitive touch controls, using the tablet to open the glovebox, or replacing wheels with yokes, so I think Tesla is still going to be industry leading thankfully.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The end state of corporate feudalism is fascism because the natural behaviour of a corporation is to eliminate competition.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Last time I got hit with cosmic rays my car was fine because it is a 1983 brown Nissan Sentra.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

ymgve posted:

Schrodinger's trunk

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol cosmic rays lol just lmao

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

kazil posted:

lol cosmic rays lol just lmao

Yes, I picked the most outlandish thing. The point is more electronics beholden to software issues is bad for a speeding vehicle. Or apparently even just opening the frunk.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

.random posted:

using the tablet to open the glovebox

https://youtu.be/sirCpkqvpE0

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Last time I got hit with cosmic rays my car was fine because it is a 1983 brown Nissan Sentra.

Half-baked goggle-box do-gooders telling everybody it's bad for you. Pernicious nonsense! Everybody could stand a hundred cosmic rays a year. They ought to have them, too!

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

The future is so loving dumb. No one learned any lessons from vacuum locks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Goons. Always aking things more complicated than they need to be.

If your tesla's door won't close, use an occy strap.
If your tesla's door won't open, use a crowbar.

smh

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Giant tablet cars suck rear end. They're tacky, look cheap, and function poorly. One of the reasons I went with the car I have now is because their screen is purely for display, and all functions can be accessed through controls that you can feel. That's safer and gives a satisfying feeling.

I want this look (although I'm sure once automakers would build this, it'd immediately become less attractive):

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

hazardousmouse posted:

this just raises a question for me: are there geofenced areas teslas aren't allowed to autodrive in? Like military bases? Just sort of internally comparing it to hobby drones.

I doubt it, there's no restrictions on letting your Tesla drive itself on any military base I've been on, the real secure stuff you can't drive your own car around on anyways.

It's inserting though, pretty soon the government's going to have to start ordering cars specifically without driver assist cameras or cell connectivity to drive around that sort of place.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Speaking of retro mobility solutions:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not so big as her captain, I think

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Doctor Butts posted:

Ok the deal is that a regular physical switch that engages the electric mechanism can be pressed over and over and will attempt to unlock every time you press it (some vehicles have safety systems that will prevent it if the car is in drive/in motion).

Tesla has locked the function behind software, where a faulty sensor (or logic!) means you can't open it (because it thinks it is already open)

What makes you think this?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lord Stimperor posted:

That's just dumb as gently caress.

I'll take two

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ultra posted:

I was curious as to what 'ugly steel plumber van' would produce. Here is the first image:
https://imgur.com/q9eoqGY

I had to add 'from the future' in order to get something more interesting.

https://imgur.com/x5RdNNw

The second one is pretty cool because it looks like the AI has incorporated the theme of pipes into the design of the van.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Outrail posted:

That's just dumb as gently caress.

I'll take two

only two were ever made and one has been destroyed, most unfortunate.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Lord Stimperor posted:

Giant tablet cars suck rear end. They're tacky, look cheap, and function poorly. One of the reasons I went with the car I have now is because their screen is purely for display, and all functions can be accessed through controls that you can feel. That's safer and gives a satisfying feeling.

I want this look (although I'm sure once automakers would build this, it'd immediately become less attractive):

mmmmm look at all those buttons

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Good news! This noob-level design oversight isn't restricted to only ruining your day/belongings via rain.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Half-baked goggle-box do-gooders telling everybody it's bad for you. Pernicious nonsense! Everybody could stand a hundred cosmic rays a year. They ought to have them, too!

yes. isn't it hot in this car.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Catastrophe posted:

Good news! This noob-level design oversight isn't restricted to only ruining your day/belongings via rain.

Clearly the solution is to invest trillions into weather control systems before the woke mind virus something something.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

These cars need something that makes it sound like a jet engine when you turn the ignition.

Edit: Lol, just noticed the full passenger side keyboard, wtf.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 9, 2023

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Lord Stimperor posted:

This may have been a very mundane hallucination but I remember there being a service in Austin that would drive your car home for you after hitting the bars. They brought a little fold up bike or something like that and would use it to get back to their spaceship after dropping you off.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Prettz posted:

mmmmm look at all those buttons
Buttons???

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

superjew posted:

Clearly the solution is to invest trillions into weather control systems before the woke mind virus something something.

I mean, you could try wiping the snow off your trunk lid before you opened it, but that's probably the woke mind virus talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

mobby_6kl posted:

Buttons???

deploy the decoys, that self driving Tesla has target-lock on me!!