Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Tayter Swift posted:

Wind just hit Sac and holy poo poo it's like a loving hurricane. I thought Tuesday was nuts.

Just lost power.

Yeah, our power has been flickering on and off on the Coastside. I'm loving sick of these storm systems tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kenning posted:

I'm loving sick of these storm systems tbh.

We need the rain, so shut the hell up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ideally we'd experience long seasons of moderate rainfall with the ability to slowly re-charge groundwater and fill reservoirs. Intense, pounding storms like this saturate the soil quickly, then become runoff which causes erosion and flooding before washing out to sea. They also cause property and infrastructure damage, especially when they include intense wind that blows against trees that are now growing in very very wet soil, toppling them. 14 days of moderate-to-heavy rainfall with lots of wind will possibly refill reservoirs, but the damage and loss of life associated with it is pretty bad.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 8, 2023

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The wind is so loud lol. It's louder than the generator.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

you guys remember those massive storms we had in early 2017? apparently the rain we received from them was enough to take care of the drought. then we had nearly 5 years of dry weather even worse than the y ears before :lmao:

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Kenning posted:

Ideally we'd experience long seasons of moderate rainfall with the ability to slowly re-charge groundwater and fill reservoirs. Intense, pounding storms like this saturate the soil quickly, then become runoff which causes erosion and flooding before washing out to sea. They also cause property and infrastructure damage, especially when they include intense wind that blows against trees that are now growing in very very wet soil, toppling them. 14 days of moderate-to-heavy rainfall with lots of wind will possibly refill reservoirs, but the damage and loss of life associated with it is pretty bad.

Erosion makes the state become smaller, and thus require less water.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

First of May posted:

Just vape like a grown-up
no no, vape sales are also banned under the new law. At least flavored stuff. Any flavored nicotine product.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

:okpos:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Highway 1 loves to generate new beachfront property after a big storm

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Local news here might as well be copy-pasting the "Hwy 1 closed due to slides" stories, because they run one after every rainy day now

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is because Hwy 1 is frequently closed due to slides after it rains.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Whaaaaaat

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
A few years back PCH at Temescal was shut down for a day or so because the people living on the hillside at the corner had left their hose on when they went away for the weekend.
PCH had to be cleared and they had to have the hill rebuilt so their house could stay.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
There is a projected $24 billion deficit in the state budget for next year.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Good thing we're not allowed to save money during budget surpluses or else we wouldn't be able to use this as an excuse to cut services.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait what?

didn't we have like a massive ~$100 billion SURPLUS just a year or two ago?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
This is the flipside of soaking the rich: when the stock market drops, the budget situation inverts.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

wait what?

Yeah, it’s also why the constitutionally required rebate is so very very dumb.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

wait what?

Thou shalt not save for a rainy day. It's that goddamned dumb.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
califronia's water problems are quite manageable presuming we get precisely 0.104 inches of rain every day from November to April, and 0 every other day

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

My union hosed up negotiating with CalHR so fukn bad lol, we got completely shut out of a contract last year, they're now offering us a lovely 2.5% raise, and this now guarantees we'll be seeing furloughs anyway. Great job union, you couldn't even get us a third of inflation and you're going to roll over for the furlough because the governor has a D by his name

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
It’s wet

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Smythe posted:

It’s wet

rear end pussy

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

On Saturday night, the wind blew over a 30-foot tree in my front yard, crushed our a few panels of our 2-month old fence, and landed in my neighbor's pool. Spent all Sunday morning chainsawing it up and cleaning up the neighbor's pool. The root system was tangled with a couple trees next to it, so I have to spend $900 to have them taken down so they don't crush someone or a car next gust of wind. Good times.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yowza, that's a beefy tree! Glad it only hit replaceable stuff.

Here in SLO a driver tried to cross a creek that had become a ford and had their car swept away with their kid still in it. Onlookers pulled the driver out, but rescuers can't find the car. :( Happened at 7:45 this morning, so it was probably somebody trying to get their kid to daycare so they could go to work. This storm has been in the forecast for a week and we should have had a loving 2020-level lockdown announced last night.

Stay home and stay safe goons, if you can.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if the gridlock over the summit every time it snows is anything to go by, nobody pays attention to the weather anyway

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We were in Tahoe last week for like our first family vacation in years and got snowed in for an extra day after the 2' of snow on Twin Bridges Wednesday night. We had to scramble to find a pet-friendly hotel since we had our lab. Got moved into our hotel and the power promptly went out for a few hours :v: We were able to make it out via 50 without issue around Friday at noon. No chain control, but lots of cars over the summit, as expected. We drive by that big fuckoff boulder that was in the westbound lane when we were going into Tahoe on Monday. Holy poo poo that thing was massive. It's a minor miracle that it didn't kill anyone and destroy the road.

Oh yeah, I took our older kids skiing at Heavenly on Tuesday. 1.5h wait for rentals. The whole Nevada side was closed due to a power outage, and the Gondola was closed. So we had to wait 2.5h in line for a shuttle over to the California Lodge. We were on the mountain 2 hours before they kicked us out and had to wait another 2h for the shuttle back to Heavenly village. Only 10 of like 47 lifts open and only 1/3 of the trails were open. Lift lines were massive and it felt like they didn't limit the amount of people on the mountain. My watch app said we were actively skiing for a whopping 55 minutes. $850 down the toilet. Heavenly is a cool place to ski, but that was by far the worst skiing experience I've ever had.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

CPColin posted:

Yowza, that's a beefy tree! Glad it only hit replaceable stuff.

Here in SLO a driver tried to cross a creek that had become a ford and had their car swept away with their kid still in it. Onlookers pulled the driver out, but rescuers can't find the car. :( Happened at 7:45 this morning, so it was probably somebody trying to get their kid to daycare so they could go to work. This storm has been in the forecast for a week and we should have had a loving 2020-level lockdown announced last night.

Stay home and stay safe goons, if you can.

This got shared on our company slack, some of my coworkers lived less than a mile from airport and where really scarred.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 10, 2023

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Holy moly that's not even near the creek that's going nuts!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

im the fedex product placement

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Centrist Committee posted:

im the fedex product placement

The arrow is conspicuously designed to draw your attention to the floodwater.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh yeah, I took our older kids skiing at Heavenly on Tuesday. 1.5h wait for rentals.

I think I rented once up at the mountain, and after that we've always rented at Sports Basement in the city, saves the stress of picking up things at the mountain.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My california winter story is going to Chester and the maintain next to it that I always forget the name and skip all the tahoe crowds

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

luminalflux posted:

I think I rented once up at the mountain, and after that we've always rented at Sports Basement in the city, saves the stress of picking up things at the mountain.

Yep, that's definitely the play. We had originally planned on picking them up the night prior since they don't charge extra if it's after 3pm, but we got too busy.

On another note, finally got my $750 Gavbux card in the mail. The ATMs around me only dispense $20s, and have a $400 daily limit. :lol:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Some pics from around Sac today, after the storm on Saturday night.
Sacramento river at 28 ft, +21 ft from Nov.

Lots of trees down

What's that peeking out from that tree?

loving wrecked.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah, it’s also why the constitutionally required rebate is so very very dumb.

Sundae posted:

Thou shalt not save for a rainy day. It's that goddamned dumb.

incredible state constitution. just tremendous :lmao:

in other news, our current rain situation:

https://twitter.com/JeffVaughn/status/1612606606986084352

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jetz0r posted:

Some pics from around Sac today, after the storm on Saturday night.
Sacramento river at 28 ft, +21 ft from Nov.

Lots of trees down

What's that peeking out from that tree?

loving wrecked.

lmao that guy got pwned. F.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Since the big windy storm moved in on Wednesday my apartment has lacked power for a cumulative 36 or so hours, and lacked internet for maybe 50 hours. Every day at my job we're telling everyone to check the roads and not risk their safety if they can't get in easily, and it's so loving hard to get things done. And the sequence of storms doesn't really let up until the 20th.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yep, that's definitely the play. We had originally planned on picking them up the night prior since they don't charge extra if it's after 3pm, but we got too busy.

On another note, finally got my $750 Gavbux card in the mail. The ATMs around me only dispense $20s, and have a $400 daily limit. :lol:

Since it’s a debit card, can you just use that at a dispensary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr Interweb posted:

incredible state constitution. just tremendous :lmao:

in other news, our current rain situation:

https://twitter.com/JeffVaughn/status/1612606606986084352

Maybe I'll learn to ski this summer.